John Romero Posts Never Before Seen Artwork to Honor DOOM's Birthday

John Romero Posts Never Before Seen Artwork to Honor DOOM's Birthday

DOOM Spiderdemon Model Scan 310x

Nope, not putting a "John Romero Daikatana" joke in here.

Did you know that DOOM turned 21 yesterday? As I'm sure is the same case for many of you, the franchise played a large role in getting me interested in video games (the same can be said of all early id Software work, really). The 1993 classic gave Carmack a Ferrari, a genius reputation to id Software, and the world a taste for the first-person shooter.

To celebrate to franchise's birthday, id Software co-founder, and DOOM designer and programmer John Romero put a glut of never before seen DOOM and DOOM II artwork and photography online, via his Twitter account. Some of the images are from in-engine projects, like Marine death animations, while others show off scans of the intricate real-world models used by designers to create sprites in the game.

There's a treasure trove of unknown (or little known) DOOM facts in here, like the "Pinky" Demon's structure being based on an old dinosaur toy. Or that an unused version of the BFG9000 used multi-color plasma balls that used too much graphics horsepower. My favorite, however, is seeing the entire DOOM alphabet, numbers included.

If you fancy yourself a game historian, or just a massive DOOM fan like yours truly, check out the gallery below.

(And you might notice a bonus Wolfenstein image in there if you pay close enough attention!)

Source: John Romero (Twitter)

It is always cool to see old Doom stuff. The very first PC game I ever owned.

"Or that an unused version of the BFG9000 used multi-color plasma balls that used too much graphics horsepower"
I know it was real issue back then, but still
Not enough power for colours, sounds ridiculous :)

blackrave:
"Or that an unused version of the BFG9000 used multi-color plasma balls that used too much graphics horsepower"

It's not the colours what was the issue: originally it shot 40+ projectiles at once. The poor old 386s couldn't handle it ;)

micuu:

blackrave:

It's not the colours what was the issue: originally it shot 40+ projectiles at once. The poor old 386s couldn't handle it ;)

and they solved that by having it emit these what I'll just call carnage lines on impact, "40 invisible tracer rays are emitted by the player in a cone-shaped area" http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/BFG9000

edit: I think 56 was the best image, the all red with the demon face, really cool image.

These are fantastic. I just wish the article included a collected archive of everything uploaded by Romero during his image dump. Clicking through the included gallery or Romero's Twitter page is a bit tedious.

Doom is my favourite game of all time so when I saw these I got really emotional.[1]

(by the way that Arch-Vile looks wicked. I still hate those guys though *shakes fist*.)

[1] ...sh...shut up

Funny I enjoyed Daikatana more than Doom 3....

Xan Krieger:
It's not the colors what was the issue: originally it shot 40+ projectiles at once. The poor old 386s couldn't handle it ;)

and they solved that by having it emit these what I'll just call carnage lines on impact, "40 invisible tracer rays are emitted by the player in a cone-shaped area" http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/BFG9000
Also I fixed the spelling of "color" :)[/quote]

Huh, it was the "Big Fecking Gun" in Ireland.

Also...Cyberdemons and Spiderdemons are immune to blast damage?

DizzyChuggernaut:
Doom is my favourite game of all time so when I saw these I got really emotional.[1]

(by the way that Arch-Vile looks wicked. I still hate those guys though *shakes fist*.)

It's ok to be emotional. We all have our moments after all! :D

OT: Now this is one heck of a trip down nostalgia lane. I can still recall playing that game when I was like... ten years or something. It was my first FPS as well I think.

[1] ...sh...shut up

blackrave:

the oldest PC i recall making was for quake 2 , 3 years after doom , that was a dx2-66 with a pair of 12mb voodoo 2's in sli, so doom was probably running on sx-33's and we didnt have dedicated graphics cards yet so.... yeah colouring a bfg blast would of been quite the thing.

Simply awesome. Definitely one of my all time favorites. It was during a time when I had shitty intermittent sound though bad speakers, so often I would play without audio... might have made me the nervous wreck I am now!

Those are all pretty cool
My favorite is the one with Carmack, Romero and another guy (does anyone know his name?) posing next to the characters of Doom.

zumbledum:
the oldest PC i recall making was for quake 2 , 3 years after doom , that was a dx2-66 with a pair of 12mb voodoo 2's in sli, so doom was probably running on sx-33's and we didnt have dedicated graphics cards yet so.... yeah colouring a bfg blast would of been quite the thing.

I had a DX33 (with the math coprocessor) and that ran Doom like a champ, my friend had an SX50 that didn't fare nearly as well. What it did NOT run well was Quake, I had to play that on the lowest resolution with the screen shrunk all the way down and it managed a few frames per second if nothing too taxing was going on.

moosemaimer:

zumbledum:

I had a DX33 (with the math coprocessor) and that ran Doom like a champ, my friend had an SX50 that didn't fare nearly as well. What it did NOT run well was Quake, I had to play that on the lowest resolution with the screen shrunk all the way down and it managed a few frames per second if nothing too taxing was going on.

I had a DX33 with maths coprocessor too! :) Ran Doom 2 well but not quite full screen - after I had a DX4100 when the price came down due to... Pentium.. It would run Doom 2 like a legend and Magic Carpet but no in the fabled hi res mode, slide show city. My Dad, who was buying and building my machines, had a good eye for a last gen bargain. God I wanted a Pentium. :-/

Devin Connors:
(And you might notice a bonus Wolfenstein image in there if you pay close enough attention!)

If you mean Pic 55, that's clearly not intended to be a Wolfenstein image so much as a Secret Level From Doom 2 one (the first secret level recreates E1M1 - and its hidden exit, which leads to a recreation of E1M9).

Kinitawowi:

Devin Connors:

If you mean Pic 55, that's clearly not intended to be a Wolfenstein image so much as a Secret Level From Doom 2 one (the first secret level recreates E1M1 - and its hidden exit, which leads to a recreation of E1M9).

Yes. This is why I called it a ***bonus*** image, as it's a sprite used in a ***bonus level***.

The guys over at Doomworld and ZDoom forums are having an absolute mangasm over this content, including the never used full 8 rotations for the player, zombieman and shotgun guy.

Happy Birthday to Doom,
Happy Birthday to Doom,
Happy Birthday awesome-never-ending-score-of-old-school-hellish-action-that's-always-been-fun-for-years-on-end,
Happy Birthday to YOU!

Now, go find a bar and get drunk! You're allowed!

FalloutJack:
Happy Birthday to Doom,
Happy Birthday to Doom,
Happy Birthday awesome-never-ending-score-of-old-school-hellish-action-that's-always-been-fun-for-years-on-end,
Happy Birthday to YOU!

Now, go find a bar and get drunk! You're allowed!

I actually might pull open a can of beer to celebrate this.

Anyway, really interesting stuff.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here