Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Wants to "Talk About Gaming on Windows"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Wants to "Talk About Gaming on Windows"

Spencer Xbone

Tweet suggests that Phil Spencer will talk about PC gaming at Microsoft's Windows 10 event next month.

Microsoft is keeping the New OS Hype Train rolling next month with an event dedicated to, "the next chapter of Windows 10." This event will see plenty of varied discussion about Microsoft's next major OS release, and one of the highlights of the event? Phil Spencer, talking about PC gaming.

Spencer, who serves as the head of the Xbox group within Microsoft, confirmed as much in a tweet late last night. When asked if Windows 10 running on Xbox One would make an appearance at the event next month, Spencer replied: "I'll be focusing more on what we are doing on Win10 in January, it's time for us to talk about gaming on Windows." "We,' and "us," referring to the Xbox team, no doubt.

While Spencer is in charge of Xbox at Microsoft, he reports directly to the head of the Operating Systems Group, Terry Myerson. This intentionally close relationship with the man in charge of Windows could mean a number of things for Windows-driven/specific PC gaming, which is exactly what Spencer will be talking about in January.

Despite the PC's reputation as a massive gaming platform, Windows' involvement in the PC gaming space has been rather checkered -- I'm not sure if there's a hardcore fan of Games for Windows Live among you.

Whatever the event has in store, I hope a closer-knit relationship between the Xbox and PC platforms is in the works. There's no dearth of games to play on PC, of course...but there's nothing wrong with hoping for a fresh Master Chief presence in the PC, is there?

Source: Phil Spencer (Twitter) | Windows Blog

I wonder if this will end up lending any more credence to the rumors of Killer Instinct getting a PC port that has cross-play with Xbox One? Because if so, I would totally get the PC version.

ok...lets see what shit you come up with this time then Spencer.

They don't give a fuck. They want to sell the idea of Dx12, but they're not gonna make any of their games available on PC. They bought timed exclusive rights to Tomb Raider ffs. And last time I checked, I didn't see Master Chief Collection on Steam. Their words are hollow. But I don't care. At least Konami grew a brain and I can enjoy MGS V without having to buy a console. If only Naughty Dog did the same.

How about you make it so Windows 10 doesn't fuck up games that run on older operating systems?

Adam Jensen:
If only Naughty Dog did the same.

You do realize Naughty Dog is first party right? That would be like Nintendo releasing Super Mario 3D World on Wii U and PC.

Soviet Heavy:
How about you make it so Windows 10 doesn't fuck up games that run on older operating systems?

This is more what I want. It's a pain in the ass to even get the old 90's LEGO games to run on modern computers without messing with a whole bunch of stuff, including the .exe so that the game will even launch.

OT: This had better not lead back to GFWL Spencer. That...thing needs to remain dead.

Devin Connors:
there's nothing wrong with hoping for a fresh Master Chief presence in the PC, is there?

Of course not, everyone could use the laugh if Microsoft tries to use a franchise with almost zero traction in PC gaming to leverage an OS upgrade again.

C'mon, Phil. MS has been "talking about" gaming on Windows for years. How about instead of talking, you do something about it? And no, Spartan Assault doesn't count. Give us Master Chief Collection and Rise of the Tomb Raider if you wanna prove you're serious.

P.S. Thanks

Neronium:
OT: This had better not lead back to GFWL Spencer. That...thing needs to remain dead.

You really think Microsoft will be able to resist trying to grab their own slice of the digital distribution platform pie for much longer? Of course, it won't be called Games For Windows Live it'll probably be called something relatively innocuous like Games Explorer and be integrated into the OS because fuck giving people the option to avoid it or uninstall it when it turns out to be a pile of shit.

What they need to be talking about is how they're going to fucking leave it alone. Anytime MS has tried to get in on the PC gaming scene is has been a total disaster. Sure, they've got their new sparkly DX12 for Win 10, but I'll bet they'll try to force it on developers, making the trend of PC/Mac/linux cross gaming rather problematic.

Gaming on PC only relevant to Microsoft when they have to establish a new version of their OS holding their API hostage.
Great! - Fuck you too!

Seriously I will buy the damn thing because it seems like a good evolution from Windows 7 but not because you have any plans for it.
I don't give one shit about you guys! - You abandoned the PC and you don't give a flying fuck about it now.
You just have to promise shit and be apologetic because your mother company got to sell some million licenses. FUCK OFF!

Tough task to have when you got to address these sort of things. The best thing for him would be being able to say "screw PC" as any effort promoting PC is wasted and should be spent on the Xbox, especially as his job isn't exactly the safest in the world. However he can't do that and management might well try to cut his legs off to push PC (until they get bored and give up as always), and than he'll be left with the mess of what it'll do the Xbox and ultimately blamed for it.

This is being said looking at his viewpoint on the matter so all the warriors can put down the pointy spears please.

Adam Jensen:

Pretty sure this isn't the first time, still you never fail to get a smile out of me every time you say something like that.
Naughty Dog are Sony guys, but you already know that *wink*.

Ishigami:
Gaming on PC only relevant to Microsoft when they have to establish a new version of their OS holding their API hostage.
Great! - Fuck you too!

Seriously I will buy the damn thing because it seems like a good evolution from Windows 7 but not because you have any plans for it.
I don't give one shit about you guys! - You abandoned the PC and you don't give a flying fuck about it now.
You just have to promise shit and be apologetic because your mother company got to sell some million licenses. FUCK OFF!

You know I see this often and really have to ask what exactly that means. Microsoft abandoned PC? What? When?
You mean in terms of gaming? I'm not sure what you expect... yeah the mother company cares and the Xbox part doesn't.... and? How does that in any way mean the Xbox part "abandoned" you?

Oh boy...why does this not inspire me with confidence? Seriously, I'm quite concerned over PC gaming on Windows 10 and in the near future now.

DirectX 12 better not be announced as Windows 10 only!!!
In fact, it'd SUCK if it's not coming to Windows 7, the version people actually LIKE and USE!!!

But lol, what a pipe dream right there!

Kenjitsuka:
DirectX 12 better not be announced as Windows 10 only!!!
In fact, it'd SUCK if it's not coming to Windows 7, the version people actually LIKE and USE!!!

But lol, what a pipe dream right there!

It's ok. My steam account has enough games on it now to never need buy another, and it'd still take me years to finish them all. I'm absolutely ok with not buying another new game until I actually need to up-grade my comp's OS for work. Til then, I can out wait anything they push til Window's presents the Holodeck.

So, Games For Windows Live will be making it's triumphant return.
With an annual subscription.
And it will only work on Win10.
Which in turn won't 'support' the use of launchers like Steam, Origin etc.
And every OS will come with a free copy of Minecraft (just kidding about this part).

Anything more significant than "We'd like you to buy more games on Windows, we'd like you to buy Windows 10 and validate the existence of DX 12, but we don't actually want to do any work towards making Windows more of a viable competitor in the space"?

Actually, between DX 12, GFWL, and Windows 8's embarrassing attempt to crowbar their way into the "app" market, I'd settle for them not doing anything to inhibit the PC's presence in games.

Rozalia1:
Tough task to have when you got to address these sort of things. The best thing for him would be being able to say "screw PC" as any effort promoting PC is wasted and should be spent on the Xbox, especially as his job isn't exactly the safest in the world. However he can't do that and management might well try to cut his legs off to push PC (until they get bored and give up as always), and than he'll be left with the mess of what it'll do the Xbox and ultimately blamed for it.

Pretty much. Unless Microsoft put as much support into PC gaming as they do for the Xbox One, it will come across as half arsed and cynical. They'll never do that (and have good financial reasons not to) so unless Spencer is simply going to have a gush about how good DX12 will be, he's being set up to fail (although I doubt that's the intent).

You know I see this often and really have to ask what exactly that means. Microsoft abandoned PC? What? When?
You mean in terms of gaming? I'm not sure what you expect... yeah the mother company cares and the Xbox part doesn't.... and? How does that in any way mean the Xbox part "abandoned" you?

Well the 'Xbox part' includes Microsoft Studios (formerly Microsoft Game Studios), who used to put out some popular PC titles. Its been a long time since they've published a AAA title for PC (possibly not counting a few recycled console titles I had no interest in). Still, most of this happened before digital distribution caught on and PC games were struggling in the retail space as well as when then the original xbox was competing for marketshare against an entrenched PS2 so Microsoft were doing the smart thing, financially speaking.

Neronium:

Adam Jensen:

You do realize Naughty Dog is first party right? That would be like Nintendo releasing Super Mario 3D World on Wii U and PC.

Soviet Heavy:

This is more what I want. It's a pain in the ass to even get the old 90's LEGO games to run on modern computers without messing with a whole bunch of stuff, including the .exe so that the game will even launch.

Sony Online Entertainment released DC Universe Online for PC and PS3, if it is okay for them why wouldn't it be okay for Naughty Dog?

For me Microsoft lost the PC gaming crowd when they A. Didn't release Halo 2 on PC and B. When they shut down Ensemble Studios.

Who knows, now that they own Mojang maybe they will start to pay us folks more mind.

As long as any PC game they take part in creating does not force GFWL's successor on us and Win 10 does not dangle an exclusive API carrot in our faces, I'm fine with where they are at right now. All they need to do is release a solid OS every 6 or so years (and not force the fuster cluck ones on us), not buy any more devs (to shut them down after making Halo RTSes, etc), and, if they wish to port a game themselves from the xbone, make it a quality port without any caveats that make us loathe MS touching games.

Yes, it would be awesome if Win 10 played select xbox games or the other way around (even with disclaimers that they might not run right). But, it probably is not ever going to happen. They want you locked in the xbox brand, and preferably also the Windows brand. Cross buying games between the platforms might be nice, but I can imagine a membership to the bloated monstrosity they made from GFWL's corpse being a requirement to do cross-buy. (If you do experiment with cross-buy, MS, surprise us by including Steam or Origin codes.)

shiajun:
What they need to be talking about is how they're going to fucking leave it alone. Anytime MS has tried to get in on the PC gaming scene is has been a total disaster. Sure, they've got their new sparkly DX12 for Win 10, but I'll bet they'll try to force it on developers, making the trend of PC/Mac/linux cross gaming rather problematic.

Way back in the late 90s they didn't do so bad, ex. ages of empires. But since then... yeah.

Rozalia1:

Microsoft once published some pretty decent games for PC.
For example Age of Empires, Flight Simulator, StarLancer, Train Simulator, Freelancer, Dungeon Siege.
Sure Microsoft was never on par with other big publishers but since the Xbox 360 arrived and was a decent success (even if not financially) their commitment to the PC is haphazard at best.
They discontinued appreciated niche PC games like the Age of Series or the Flight Simulator and if they got around to release one of their bigger games of the Xbox it was usually with such spacing that you either already played it on Xbox or no longer cared about it.
Halo once started out as a PC only game... until Bungie was bought by Microsoft.
Microsoft doesn't really consider the PC their other "platform" and it showed. PC gaming was nuisance that handicapped their Xbox as a game on PC gave less incentive to buy an Xbox furthermore they can't charge a license fee for a PC game.
And we had this "we are committed to PC gaming!" from Microsoft before it got us GFWL and even then they still neglected the PC.
I bet this announcement won't be any different.

Just give us DirectX12 and be off.

Ishigami:

Halo once started out as a PC only game... until Bungie was bought by Microsoft.

Slight correction, the original Halo was originally going to be on the Playstation 2, Xbox, and PC. Two things stopped it though, the first was that the PS2's hardware couldn't take Halo in its original incarnation, an RTS; the second was Microsoft bought the remaining 20% shares of Bungie from Take-Two Interactive, and thus the PS2 version's development for Combat Evolved was cancelled and shifted to PC and Original Xbox.

Microsoft will be only interested in PC gaming if they can monetise it, there is only one way they can monetise it without alienating large portions of their customers.

Release their own optional digital storefront that sells games from a wide array of publishers and have decent prices and a decent service and be patient while they build a user base, if they bring their Xbox bullshit policies to the PC again it will end in failure again.

yeh yeh when i see it ill see, but these days im sure their focus is xbone.

What I forsee is Windows 10 having a dozen utterly useless apps added to it to 'make my gaming experience more fun'. Unfortunately the guys at Microsoft's idea of fun doesn't match mine. I just want to play a game, I don't want to deal with flashy, beautiful but utterly pointless shit.

I'm one of the unfortunate souls who was cursed with Windows 8. The endless RAM hogging, counterintuitive and tedious apps that were forced upon me was mind blowing. Obviously I deleted all of them and installed more useful things. I suspect MORE of the same with Win10.

I did not buy Halo 2 PC until the community made a DX 9 patch. So if you force it I won't fool with it at all. What they need to do is tiemd exclusives, most things make to the PC from the Xconsole in 6-16 months(porting can take awhile and most focus on the console first) also GFWL dose not need to touch save game data AT ALL ><

Hairless Mammoth:
Cross buying games between the platforms might be nice, but I can imagine a membership to the bloated monstrosity they made from GFWL's corpse being a requirement to do cross-buy. (If you do experiment with cross-buy, MS, surprise us by including Steam or Origin codes.)

Expecting steam/origin keys is unreasonable, if they did do cross buy it would be via the Windows store which I believe Halo: Spartan Assault is setup like.

Is this the same Phil Spencer that helps people find new homes at good prices? Because he's juggling a lot of cats if that it the case. I quite like him, though I'm not so taken with Kirsty (Allsopp?), but I think that is just her onscreen persona. Sure she is really brilliant IRL.

I look forward to seeing Microsoft's continuing plans of turning Windows into a marketplace...
As creators of the operating system, they have the opportunity to make some brilliant things, i'm just not sure the decision makers care about that.

Nonono, we are "dead" remember?
Stick to your console peasants chosen ones.

This has bad written all over it. This has bad like, "we're going to lock down windows and make sure all the games you buy for windows cost at least $60" bad.

Dear Microsoft:

Remember: you do not have to reinvent the wheel. Other people who are actually good at it have already made storefronts and systems you could be using. I know you've burned a lot of good will you had with Valve, but maybe it's time to make up.

Nobody wants another GFWL. It was terrible.

AstaresPanda:
yeh yeh when i see it ill see, but these days im sure their focus is xbone.

Oh, I hope it's like the XB1 release presser... I must see what the new Windows will let me do (that I'm already doing without having to deal with hassle and expense of MS acting as gatekeeper). How many services that I already avoid will be integrated into Windows 10 despite the fact that at least half of them are restricted to North America? I can't wait to find out. What games will Microsoft proudly trot out despite them not being platform exclusive nor published by Microsoft? The anticipation is dizzying.

The best part will be some tech forgetting to close the cabinet under the display monitors to reveal a bunch of server racks.

MS always say that the PC is important to them at such events, but it has only been lip service and very little if anything ever comes from it. I would think that this time would be no different.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here