NASA is Finally Getting a Budget Increase in 2015

NASA is Finally Getting a Budget Increase in 2015

NASA Logo 310x

Latest budget is more than NASA asked for, would be first increase since 2010.

For the first time since 2010, NASA is getting a budget increase over its previous operating budget.

The increase is two percent overall, and will see the space program's 2015 wallet grow to over $18 billion (compared to $17.6-ish in 2014). It's also roughly $500 million more than what NASA asked for.

The new budget is part of the most recent congressional effort to approve a new spending bill, the latest version of which was passed buy the House of Representatives on Thursday. The bill now goes to the Senate today.

NASA's increased coffers specifically sees a spike in its Science Missions budget, which increases to $5.24 billion. This means there's additional, unexpected money to use on missions inside the solar system; at least $100 million will be spent on a Europa-focused mission, the icy, watery moon of Jupiter. "There was astonishing support for Europa [in Congress]," said Planetary Society advocacy director Casey Dreier to Science. "Hopefully this is going to send that signal to the White House and OMB to ask for this new start."

And the icing on top of the newly rich cake? The new money didn't get siphoned off from any other science budget. (You can see a further budget breakdown here.)

While space exploration has had a rough patch with the Virgin Galactic tragedy, and the Orbital Sciences gaffe, NASA has been on a tear as of late. The Orion spacecraft's successful test has brought a surge of publicity to the agency, and its Space Launch System project is humming along as planned.

Source: Science-AAAS

I'm guessing Congress was so interested in Europa because they're hoping to gain the authority to change its name to "Ameripa".

Either way, this is great news for NASA. No doubt they'll put that money to good use.

"It's also roughly $500 million more than what NASA asked for". Yeah, well... why bother asking for something you're expecting to never get? Since they usually are already doing GREAT if they don't get a budget CUT! :)

Anyway, it's really awesome! Go go outer space!

Hot damn in a pickle jar. That's some good news.

Yay, a few more increases like that and they'll be back up to their 2011 budget. I like that they're getting a better budget (most definitely better than the alternative), but it still feels like cheering and back patting over a man that's starving to death getting an extra bread crust.

Yay! one step closer to NASA having one cent per dollar spent by the US government!

While nice, I don't expect the Pres to approve the budget. It's bloated with too many other caveats that the Reps would love to see passed, such as an increase to the amount the top 1% can donate to campaigns, by a factor of 10, which would only further pollute what is already a rich man's game after the Citizens United decision. More than likely, it will be rewritten, sent back down, and we'll be doing this again in a couple months.

Looks like the new space vehicle will have spinning rims after all.

008Zulu:
Looks like the new space vehicle will have spinning rims after all.

Not on this budget. They need another 11 billion.

Good news. I'd prefer it if they didn't focus so much on new rockets though. Leave the really expensive stuff to the private sector and concentrate on research.

Lets use more money to go back to the moon and faff about doing things that have allready been done, jn a almost permenantly static enviroment.

Yup

As someone who firmly believes the future of humanity lies beyond the bounds of our little sphere so any increase in spending directed this way warms my heart a little. Above all space exploration is something that speaks to the aspirational rather than the cynical in us and is something I believe has the power to draw us together and lift us up, to make us better people.

Stupidity:
Good news. I'd prefer it if they didn't focus so much on new rockets though. Leave the really expensive stuff to the private sector and concentrate on research.

the focus on new rockets is there because the old rockets are inefficient and dangerous - something that isnt needed with new technology anymore (to an extent). private sector has so far failed to come up with an answer and its attempts seems to last ended in a massive boom (though that is suspect to be pilot error).

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!

Okay, it's out of my system. Good on you, NASA. Go on! The final(?) frontier awaits!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here