Movie Comic Covers Cast Aquaman in Free Willy, Wonder Woman in 300
Next March, DC Comics will release more than 20 special variant covers recreating famous film posters.
I'm generally not a fan of crossovers. I like characters and stories to stay where they belong. Even feeling that way though, there still come moments where I can't deny the sheer awesome factor of mixing two things that don't necessarily go together. Take DC Comics' recently unveiled plans for a series of special variant covers.
Beginning in March 2015, the comic publisher intends to start releasing special comic covers recreating Warner Bros. movie posters using DC superheroes. The homage, altogether, will include more than 20 different comics and involve a wide array of characters such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and the Flash. The full list of comics and movies involved in the variant cover plans will include the following:
- ACTION COMICS #40 inspired by BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, with cover art by Joe Quinones
- AQUAMAN #40 inspired by FREE WILLY, with cover art by Richard Horie
- BATGIRL #40 inspired by PURPLE RAIN, with cover art by Cliff Chiang
- BATMAN #40 inspired by THE MASK, with cover art by Dave Johnson
- BATMAN & ROBIN #40 inspired by HARRY POTTER, with cover art by Tommy Lee Edwards
- BATMAN/SUPERMAN #20 inspired by THE FUGITIVE, with cover art by Tony Harris
- CATWOMAN #40 inspired by BULLITT, with cover art by Dave Johnson
- DETECTIVE COMICS #40 inspired by THE MATRIX, with cover art by Brian Stelfreeze
- FLASH #40 inspired by NORTH BY NORTHWEST, with cover art by Bill Sienkiewicz
- HARLEY QUINN #16 inspired by JAILHOUSE ROCK, with cover art by Dave Johnson
- GRAYSON #8 inspired by ENTER THE DRAGON, with cover art by Bill Sienkiewicz
- GREEN LANTERN #40 inspired by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, with cover art by Tony Harris
- GREEN LANTERN CORPS #40 inspired by FORBIDDEN PLANET, with cover cover art by Tony Harris
- JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #10 inspired by MARS ATTACKS, with cover art by Marco D'Alphonso
- JUSTICE LEAGUE #40 inspired by MAGIC MIKE, with cover art by Emanuela Lupacchino
- JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #40 inspired by BEETLEJUICE, with cover art by Joe Quinones
- TEEN TITANS #8 inspired by THE LOST BOYS, with cover art by Alex Garner
- SINESTRO #11 inspired by WESTWORLD, with cover art by Dave Johnson
- SUPERGIRL #40 inspired by WIZARD OF OZ, with cover art by Marco D'Alphonso
- SUPERMAN #40 inspired by SUPER FLY, with cover art by Dave Johnson
- SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #17 inspired cover by GONE WITH THE WIND, with art by Gene Ha
- WONDER WOMAN #40 inspired by 300, with cover art by Bill Sienkiewicz
Hoping to show off some of the covers, DC has already released images from several of the books slated to come out in March. Among the covers unveiled to news outlets are Wonder Woman's rendition of 300, Green Lantern's translation of 2001: A Space Odyssey and an Aquaman version of the Free Willy poster that's, frankly, amazing. Take a look and let us know which movie covers you're most looking forward.
Source: Slashfilm, IGN
I like the last one. "My God, it's full of Ryan Reynolds."
Man, Superman in #7 looks like he is about to pimp slap someone.
Wonder Woman looks freakin' badass in that pic but "Tonight we dine in Themyscria" is kind of a lame tagline.
The Harry Potter one looks u.g.l.y UGLY!
And the Wonder Woman one is flawed in that it's missing her signature Lasso of Truth; instead it opts for what looks like a Legionnaire's sword(?) on her left hip.
I do agree with the author that the Free Willy crossover is the best looking one of the bunch so far.
I'm trying to imagine Teen Titans as The Lost Boys......disturbing or ugly or just disturbingly ugly?