Man of Steel and the American Way: Batman v Superman Plot Details Emerge

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Man of Steel and the American Way: Batman v Superman Plot Details Emerge

Superman Man of Steel 310x

How does Bruce Wayne, the rest of the world feel about Superman? We're going to find out.

If the latest Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice script analysis holds water, the upcoming DC Comics flick will show how the rest of the world feels about Superman.

Spoilers ahead, ladies and gentlehorses.

Badass Digest got to thumb through a version of the Dawn of Justice script that was penned about a month before production (filming) began. In the script, we see how Superman is trying to evolve into his own superhero role, while maintaining awareness of how the rest of the world views him.

One of the more contentious issues in Man of Steel is how Superman handles General Zod at the end of the film -- snapping necks and murdering aliens aren't two things we normally associate with the Man of Steel, after all. So when Superman confronts a villain in the film with "I won't snap your neck, I'm going to take you to prison," all is well and good...for a minute, at least. This kind of internal power struggle -- how to balance his powers with his own beliefs, and his role in the post-Superman world -- remains evident when Clark threatens to break the same villain's back later on.

Another theme for Clark throughout Dawn of Justice is how the world (outside of the United States) views the Man of Steel. By this point, it seems as though America (its military included) is happy to have Superman around. China, on the other hand, does not want him flying in their airspace. Given the scope of the film, this kind of superhero political strife should come up more than once.

The plot details analysis, which also covers Bruce Wayne, Lex Luthor, Clark Kent's relationship with Lois Lane, and the appearance of Doomsday, is very much focused on Superman, which shows how balanced Dawn of Justice will (or could) be. With all the Batman-Ben Affleck-centric over the last year, it's good to know that Superman is getting just as much attention.

Source: Badass Digest

If you were to make it like it's done in the comics, Superman is basically compelled to listen to other governments wishes because he follows the rules. He is the boy scout. He won't like it, and if someone wants out and he happens to be there to help, he does. But he does not intervene where he is essentially not wanted.

I feel fine with this though. I have felt a lot of animosity about this film over the course of the last year. Like it or not, Superman may be "American", but he is also beholden to no nation. I just don't care to turn the next Man of Steel film into an analogy for the US in reference to how the rest of the world feels about it, it's not a very good venue for that. I can't help but feel this is Christopher Nolan's doing. We'll see how it turns out though.

Oh, so they're bringing in the most boring villain in the history of Superman's comics. Brilliant.

Superman loosing his cool, and dropping down to idle "I'll break your back" threats sounds like they still don't understand the character. What you have is an immoral Superman who's on the edge of going Injustice, or Crime Syndicate on everyone. Superman is supposed to be the most Naive-Hyper-Boy-Scout imaginable. Anything less with as much power as they've given him makes him a danger to everyone. I'm fine with them flirting with the edge. After all that's what the Elites where all about. Push him to the point were any reasonable person would break, and then show that he's able to resist it. Threatening to break someone's back when you're basically a god, and could smite them at any second is absurd.

They should have just given the script to a trusted DC writer.

So its the plot to Justice League cartoon?

Doesn't sound bad. I'll probably wait until Netflix or cable like I did with MoS though.

Cipher1:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Doomsday? THe villain whose only purpose for existing was to KILL superman? .... why would you want to have him in your movie. He's boring and tips your hand WAAAAY early about where your plan is going.

It'll sell. Doesn't matter what the plot is. People are sold on the premise of Batman and Superman, arguably the 2 most iconic superheroes on the planet sharing the same screen. I'll wait for it to come out on Netflix, Snyder already duped me out of $11 once, not gonna happen again.

Doomsday? Already? Come on, DC, show a little restraint. And a more interesting villain! Give us Brainiac!
On a side note, I have to find if there was a moment in the comics where Bane picked a fight with Superman, maybe just for the challenge of it.

Baresark:
If you were to make it like it's done in the comics, Superman is basically compelled to listen to other governments wishes because he follows the rules. He is the boy scout. He won't like it, and if someone wants out and he happens to be there to help, he does. But he does not intervene where he is essentially not wanted.

medv4380:
Superman loosing his cool, and dropping down to idle "I'll break your back" threats sounds like they still don't understand the character. What you have is an immoral Superman who's on the edge of going Injustice, or Crime Syndicate on everyone. Superman is supposed to be the most Naive-Hyper-Boy-Scout imaginable. Anything less with as much power as they've given him makes him a danger to everyone. I'm fine with them flirting with the edge. After all that's what the Elites where all about. Push him to the point were any reasonable person would break, and then show that he's able to resist it. Threatening to break someone's back when you're basically a god, and could smite them at any second is absurd.

That's what makes this idea of a "learning curve" so damn painful. I mean, I get learning to use his powers properly, but this is apparently stuff like "learning not to try and kill people." Or maybe even "learning not to be a dick." And honestly, Ii think Superdickery should be left in the Silver Age.

Is there such a thing these days?

TheNaut131:

Cipher1:

In the hands of Goyer? It probably is.

Zachary Amaranth:

TheNaut131:

Cipher1:

In the hands of Goyer? It probably is.

Oh hold up, in that case, hell to the fucking no.

Man, I miss Dwayne McDuffe

For a moment there I got Darkside and Doomsday mixed up, this saddens me.

In the long run it may pan out to a good story but I don't buy for a second that this was the intended storyline from the beginning. To be honest it just reeks of hurried retconning in an attempt to address the problems in the first film.

Calling it now that by the end of the 2nd act Doomsday will be the catalyst for everyone having a change of heart and asking Superman for help.

Wow, this actually sounds like an interesting, measured approach to the DC univer--

*reads Doomsday is actually appearing*

Goddamn it.

I imagine the plot of this game as being so stuffed that if it was a balloon, it would look like a turkey on Thanksgiving

Diddy_Mao:

Calling it now that by the end of the 2nd act Doomsday will be the catalyst for everyone having a change of heart and asking Superman for help.

and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

VoidWanderer:
I imagine the plot of this game as being so stuffed that if it was a balloon, it would look like a turkey on Thanksgiving

That line still makes more sense than this movie will.

Just when I thought I had reached the point where this movie couldn't interest me less, now Doomsday is in it.

I guarantee that going to wikipedia and reading the page on Doomsday will be significantly more entertaining than anything they can manage to eke out with the shaky-cam, jump-cut, cgi that will likely be in the movie. If he has more screen time devoted to him than Godzilla did in the newest one then DC will surprise everyone.

Even if the film centers around him (unlikely) what it will pretty much amount to is just another Kryptonian slug fest that will pretty much play out exactly like the ones in the last film. Big thing that won't die getting smacked around, and Doomsday :P

Sure he might have some cool evolutions or something snazzy, pretty much anything will beat the abortion that was Smallville's version, but ultimately he is UNINTERESTING. His motivations are nebulous even to him for much of his canon. He just is, and he just kills, and he just won't die.

Now, Braniac is interesting. Mr. mixlsgjf.. whatever is interesting. Darkseid is even more interesting, but much like Thanos in GotG if they ever do put him onscreen it will be purely to make fanboys and girls need a change of pants and then nothing.

A human-looking super-strong alien who grew up on earth needs to fight a super-strong ugly alien.
Oh well, it can't be worse than that other Dragonball movie, so whatever. As long as they don't spend the entire movie charging up, it might be fun?

I'm still waiting for the day I actually "get" Superman.

KoudelkaMorgan:

Sure he might have some cool evolutions or something snazzy, pretty much anything will beat the abortion that was Smallville's version, but ultimately he is UNINTERESTING. His motivations are nebulous even to him for much of his canon. He just is, and he just kills, and he just won't die.

I dunno, with everything and everyone that will be in this movie, I can get making the 'main' villain just be a boring force-of-nature like destroyer.
Leaving all the personal dynamics and how people will try to benefit from it etc the actual conflict.

I can see that working TBH, and it might be ok if cliche.
'Heroes forced to work together to beat the overwhelming odds' and all that.

Zachary Amaranth:

Joe Kelly since he wrote "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" which was the Elites story.

All they'd really have to do is get a artist and writer together, and tell them to write up a new universe starting with Superman. Don't even waste the time with color or anything. If it looks really good you have a story board all done. If it's not then color it, and sell it as an alternate world comic, and try again.

Heck, I don't see why thy haven't tried lifting story's they know worked in the comics, and run with them.

It saddens me that, between this news and the imagery in that Comic Con trailer, WB/DC seem almost hellbent on portraying Superman as a horror movie villain.

Baresark:

medv4380:

Zachary Amaranth:
That's what makes this idea of a "learning curve" so damn painful. I mean, I get learning to use his powers properly, but this is apparently stuff like "learning not to try and kill people." Or maybe even "learning not to be a dick." And honestly, Ii think Superdickery should be left in the Silver Age.

See, now, this - to me, anyway - is just the pay off to Man of Steel's biggest blunder;

The portrayal of Jonathan Kent.

It's a well-known addage of the Superman mythos that Jonathan and Martha Kent are the sole reason why Clark wants to save humanity and not conquer it. They are, and have always been, his moral compass. While some may find it cheesy or corny, I've always found it one of the most endearing aspects of Superman's character that, when presented with a dilemma of some sort, Clark does sit on a gargoyle and brood, but instead goes and talks to his parents (in the continuities where they are still alive, of course). It was the Kents who embedded Clark with that "boy scout" mentality, not because either they or he have a naïve view of the world, but because they all recognise the true extent of Clark's powers and just what kind of restraint he needs to adhere to for the sake of both Clark himself and the world around him.

Man of Steel, however, showed us a Jonathan Kent who was cynical and paranoid, and a Martha Kent who had as much presence and potency as a kitten's fart. The Jonathan in MoS didn't really go out of his way to embed any moral values in Clark beyond "hide your powers" while at the same time filling his head with a whole load of "destiny" bullcrap. He basically spent most of his time going on about how much of a great hero Clark was going to become, but did absolutely bugger all to prepare him for it.

So now it appears we have a petulant, short-tempered Clark who seems pretty comfortable going for the nuclear option at the drop of a hat. I know the "boy scout" image is often cited as being the main reason modern audiences don't "connect" with the character (and not, oh I don't know, bad writing), but stuff like this just reeks of overcompensating.

I'd vouch for Scott Snyder.

Kmadden2004:
It was the Kents who embedded Clark with that "boy scout" mentality, not because either they or he have a naïve view of the world, but because they all recognise the true extent of Clark's powers and just what kind of restraint he needs to adhere to for the sake of both Clark himself and the world around him.

I admit, I fell asleep during MoS, and that's given me a limited interest in revisiting it, but...Wasn't Clark already kind of a boy scout in this movie? I mean, up to the part where he commits Metrocide and then kills Zod because he "has no choice?" And don't they pull some bullshit like halfway through where Clark's all "this is what my dad would have wanted, even though he spent the first half of the movie saying otherwise" or something?

Cipher1:

We wish.
Since they wasted no time in bringing Doomsday to the fray, I doubt this will be half as good.

You know, I am really trying to be less cynical about it. I really am. 10 years old me would love the prospect of a Superman/Batman teamup. But I can't out-cynic WB...

Kmadden2004:

So now it appears we have a petulant, short-tempered Clark who seems pretty comfortable going for the nuclear option at the drop of a hat. I know the "boy scout" image is often cited as being the main reason modern audiences don't "connect" with the character (and not, oh I don't know, bad writing), but stuff like this just reeks of overcompensating.

Absolutely agreed.

You'd think after the success of Winter Soldier WB would realize audiences will be just fine with a "boy scout" hero is the movie is actually... y'know... GOOD.

The general premise doesn't seem terrible to me, but I'm also not very familiar with DC's stories. From a Marvel fan-boy standpoint, this sounds like a vague Thor/Avengers mash-up. Supes has to grow the hell up and learn some self control, while all of the heroes have to learn to work as a team to take down the big bad. I sort of even like the idea of various countries banning Supes from their air space due to his American affiliations.

I was willing to give MoS the benefit of the doubt as the movie where Clark crossed the line, and resolved himself to always find someway other than murder to stop the villain. Even when MoS itself pretty much ended with everyone going on about their business, and Clark grinning like a doofus at the daily planet in what was tantamount to a check list moment of "see? he works at the DP (snickers at the innuendo). don't say we weren't true to the source material."

Learning about Doomsday I thought "wouldn't a fight with Doomsday be a fight with Zod all over again?" But okay, maybe they want to show that superman has learned restraint, and instead of turning a blind eye to the DEATH taking place around him as he fights Doomsday (the way he did with Zod), maybe we'll see him doing less fighting, and more "getting is ass kicked by Doomsday as he tries to save people from the carnage." But why use Doomsday for that, when Doomsday's sole purpose was being the villain that superman had to kill in order to stop? Also, if they went the "getting his ass kicked while distracted saving people" it makes Doomsday a weak villain because you could argue that the only reason he had the upper hand was because Superman was holding back/busy saving lives. Which is another limitation of superman, he's always "holding back."

I'm not planning on seeing this one in Theatres, because I really don't think they know which way they want to go with it outside of "launch the Justice League and spinoffs."

Zachary Amaranth:

Diddy_Mao:

and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

Well done

Anyway

The only interesting iteration of Doomsday was in the JL cartoon but that was over a long period of episodes.

I'm really drained at just how seemingly over stuffed and ill thought out by this franchise, say what you want about the Marvel film (much justified) but at least they know how to balance their sh!t, this seems to have too much story and action like the first one.

And what ever lesson or bad feelings from killing Zod doesn't work in Doomsday's case because he's essentially a rabid dog, you can only kill him (Or Justice Lord his Brain) but maybe we'll see him actually showing how good he is at saving people.

I have a feeling they made Sups too powerful, in the cartoon at least he had some visual limitations or weakness.

I have few doubts about Batfleck beyond what I saw in JL: War's portrayal (gawd that sucked), and Wondy being the oldest member I can get behind but I'm waiting for the blu-ray, no matter how much I want to see this (or at least someone is paying for me to go)

Piorn:
I'm still waiting for the day I actually "get" Superman.

Superman's not really all that complicated. He's the personification of the idea that people are basically good. That someone with the power to do whatever they want would naturally spend most of their time helping others. That people only hurt each other because they are afraid of being hurt, so an invulnerable person would be the most compassionate person in the world.

A common trap for Superman writers is to try to physically endanger him. This nullifies that message, leaving the source of his compassion unclear, which often makes it feel insincere.

At least Doomsday will make for better fights than Bizarro. Maybe this time, Batman will step in to tell "symbol for hope on his chest"man to take the fight elsewhere, like the Mojave desert, the North Pole or Detroit.

And where's the love for Mister Mxyzptlk, Warner Bros?

ryukage_sama:
where's the love for Mister Mxyzptlk, Warner Bros?

"Villain does not translate well into disaster porn, 3rd act battle."

What's the deal with all the negative feeling about Doomsday being the main antagonist? I ask in earnest as a non-Superman comic book fan as I don't know who he is or why fans don't like him. All I know of Superman is the fantastic Christopher Reeves films, the enjoyable Returns and the PoS that was MoS.

KingsGambit:
What's the deal with all the negative feeling about Doomsday being the main antagonist?

In the comics, Doomsday is a monster. That's literally all there is to the character. It has no brain, no personality, and no motivation. It yells "Raargh," it laughs when it kills things, and it punches. That is all it does. Compared to Doomsday, Gargamel is nuanced and deep.

Zachary Amaranth:
Wasn't Clark already kind of a boy scout in this movie?

The second super thing he does in the movie (at least as an adult) is crucify a man's eighteen-wheeler on telephone poles in the parking lot of a bar. This is punishment for that man pouring beer on Kal-El's head. He ruins the man's means of self-support and inflicts thousands of dollars of property damage to the bar where it happened, all because a guy poured a beer on his head (which he still could have stepped away from or stopped the guy from doing, which limits my sympathy further).

No, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the Superdickery thing.

So... wasn't Wonder Woman in this movie at some point?

JimB:

The second super thing he does in the movie (at least as an adult) is to crucify that man's eighteen-wheeler on telephone poles in the parking lot of a bar. This is punishment for that man pouring beer on Kal-El's head. He ruined the man's means of self-support and inflicted thousands of dollars of property damage to the bar where it happened, all because a guy poured a beer on his head (which he still could have stepped away from or stopped the guy from doing, which limits my sympathy further).

No, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the Superdickery thing.

Holy crap, I actually managed to forget that part of the movie. Retracted.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here