Tim Burton and Winona Ryder are Returning for Beetlejuice 2

Tim Burton and Winona Ryder are Returning for Beetlejuice 2

Beetlejuice 310x

Michael Keaton has said he would return if Burton directed.

It's taken 26 years to confirm, but Beetlejuice 2 is happening, and two of the original's key players are coming along for the ride through the afterlife.

In a recent interview with MTV, director Tim Burton said he would be returning to direct the sequel to the 1988 dark comedy classic. As for Winona Ryder returning, presumably as the now-in-her-40's Lydia Deetz? "Oh yeah, yeah yeah yeah. Oh yeah, oh yeah. Yeah yeah, oh yeah."

Yeah-yeah-ing aside, this means the most important roles are seemingly locked up. Ryder is set to return, as is Michael Keaton, who said he would reprise is role as the Undead Crusader if Burton returned as director. No word on Geena Davis, Alec Baldwin, or Catherine O'Hara, however.

The news of a Beetlejuice sequel is tearing me up a little inside. I'm a big fan of the original (as are many Escapist writers and editors), so naturally a sequel is appealing on some basic level. However, given Tim Burton's recent track record as a director (frankly I haven't been much of a Burton-ite since the 90's) leaves me just a little concerned. But then my gut switches directions again, as Michael Keaton has proved with several recent projects (like Birdman) that he's still a fantastic presence on screen.

Source: MTV

Oh please let is be Beetlejuice goes Hawaiian! If he's gonna be doing another rehash of a 20 year old idea, Burton at least owes us a 20 year old script!

Ohh no....
nononononononononononono
nooooooooooooooooooooooo

No Burton... no! Seriously when did you last make a decent film?

It may work, but I doubt it

Beetlejuice was always a favorite of mine when I was little. So was the animated series- soooo many puns! I think that this could be a great excuse to just be ridiculous like the first one, maybe have Burton dig up some of the old weird ideas and just bift them at a petulant, disenchanted audience and scream, "It's Showtime!"

Or "We're Here For Your Daughter, Chuck- Whaaaa ha ha!"

Yeah, that one is my favourite.

So, what are the chances Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter will get big roles in this one...

On the other hand it's good to see MK is on board. It wouldn't be Beetlejuice without him.

putowtin:
Ohh no....
nononononononononononono
nooooooooooooooooooooooo

In 2012 with Frankenweenie.

If Big Eyes (his next movie that's releasing in a few days) sucks, then I'm worried. Until then, I'm giving Tim the benefit of the doubt.

RealRT:

putowtin:
Ohh no....
nononononononononononono
nooooooooooooooooooooooo

In 2012 with Frankenweenie.

If Big Eyes (his next movie that's releasing in a few days) sucks, then I'm worried. Until then, I'm giving Tim the benefit of the doubt.

So far it's doing well on Rottentomatoes, maybe he turned a corner? He seems to be back to making personal movies, hopefully Beetlejuice won't ruin this. As much as i like the original, i see no reason why it should have a sequel. It's lessening his chance of doing something as great as Ed Wood ever again.

But Alec Baldwin? Geena Davis? As far as I'm concerned, they were always the real stars of the original.

P.S. Thanks

I am of intrigued two minds. Firstly, Burton hasn't made a good movie in a while and this could be his chance. Keaton is a brilliant character actor, so he could end up saving the movie. Secondly, the sequel has the potential to damage one of his greatest movies ever. Or it could resurrect his failing career. Carter and Depp (in his trademarked balding spot covering stupid hats, this isn't me being bitter, look at photos of him without a hat) are pretty much a given. Given his obsession with them, could end up pushing Keaton out of the spotlight.

Covarr:
But Alec Baldwin? Geena Davis? As far as I'm concerned, they were always the real stars of the original.

P.S. Thanks

There are two problems and both are to do with age. Ghosts don't age as rule and Baldwin and Davis have. So they use plotonium to explain the aging then you hit another one. Winona Ryder is only 13 and 15 years younger than Baldwin and Davis and the lack of age gap is going to look odd. When you are 17 you can pass for younger but its lot harder when you are 43

ATTENTION KMART SHOPPERS!

Oh man I'm so ready. With Keaton and Ryder on board it can't fail!

I'll watch out for this, but I'm not holding my breath. I think they could all too easily Jack Sparrow this one. Beetlejuice was of course brilliant because he was a side-character while the story was about the Maitlands.

Every time someone talks about the possibility of a new Bettlejuice movie, I think of this video:

I used to love Tim Burton's job, but it eventually got tiresome. I will not get one way or another until I see some trailers...

And why does that movie need a sequel? It's a story with a beginning, a middle and an end.

I guess integrity is truly a thing of the past, in all contexts....

Maybe if it's successful we'll finally get Bill & Ted 3 :)

erbkaiser:
So, what are the chances Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter will get big roles in this one...

On the other hand it's good to see MK is on board. It wouldn't be Beetlejuice without him.

They will likely be taking Gina Davis and Alec Baldwin's place.

Honestly... Tim Burton always does a better job when he's working on his own original ideas so I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing what he wants to do with this.

HOWEVER! I'll reserve judgement of what I think until at least the first full trailer is released.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here