Paramount Orders Cancellation of Team America: World Police Screenings

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Paramount Orders Cancellation of Team America: World Police Screenings

team america world police 310x

America, fuck NO! Kim Jong-il finally gets his revenge.

In case you have been living under the proverbial rock this week, Sony Pictures decided to shelve The Interview entirely and indefinitely yesterday. The move came after the five biggest theater chains in the U.S. said they wouldn't show the film when it premiered next week, after the hackers responsible for breaking into Sony started making physical threats of violence.

The cancellation of The Interview distribution left a bit of a holiday movie vacuum for many theaters -- particularly those who aren't part of a large national chain. The solution? Take freedom by the horns, and screen the 2004 classic Team America: World Police instead. The Alamo Drafthouse, among other theaters, was all set to show Team America in its halls come next week.

Except that they won't, now, as Paramount has ordered all planned screenings of Team America to be cancelled.

"Due to to circumstances beyond our control, the TEAM AMERICA 12/27 screening has been cancelled," said the Alamo Drafthouse Twitter account in a follow-up. "We apologize & will provide refunds today."

The Plaza Theater in Altanta, Georgia confirmed that the order to cancel Team America screenings came from Paramount directly, as did the Capitol Theatre in Cleveland.

We have yet to see an official statement from Paramount on the cancellations, but we will update if one is published.

The terrorists win again, it seems, and now we're wondering how Trey Parker and Matt Stone (South Park, Team America) feel about the move. We've reached out to Important Films (Parker and Stone's production company) for comment.

Source: Alamo Drafthouse | Mediaite

Good job North Korea, you've proven you can make global superpowers bend to your will. So now that we live in a world in which they're the next superpower what can we do?

I guess its true what they say. It always becomes serious when you involve someones family...

Devin Connors:

The terrorists win again, it seems, and now we're wondering how Trey Parker and Matt Stone (South Park, Team America) feel about the move.

I don't know how they will feel about it, but I do feel a big South Park parody episode about this issue coming in the near future.

There will be a South Park episode dealing with this, I'd almost guarantee it. Matt and Trey just have that kind of clout for some reason, plus they can do the episode in a week, as they've already proven. If nothing else they'll find ways to dig at the issue if they get proverbially cock-blocked. They're too contentious to let things like this stand.

I had no idea that a Team America 2 movie was even in the works...

Or is this screenings of the orignal movie?

Remember when North Korea wasn't a big deal? When nobody cared Kim Jong-il featured as a villian?

Remember when South Park had that episode of the Super Best Friends featuring Mohammed, and nobody cared?

Why in God's name do we continue giving these lunatics this kind of power!?

This has been a frankly bizarre case we've been subjected to. thing is, the threats were never credible. The hacks were annoying, but any threat of physical harm was a farce due to North Korea not having the kind of resources for that. Basically a bunch of companies became chickenshits due to fear of liability lawsuits. If I were in the government right now I'd want to be slapping the companies who bent to shallow threats.

What's unique though is while this IS cyberterrorism, it's terrorism against a company, not a country. Not sure how one reacts to that because at the end of the day, they've scrounged up data regarding stuff that is ultimately just about a business. This isn't like them hacking the Pentagon or the Whitehouse in which case that would almost certainly constitute an act of war.

Team Paramount,... Fuck Yeah!

PS:

webkilla:
I had no idea that a Team America 2 movie was even in the works...

Or is this screenings of the orignal movie?

The original movie.

Hahahahah. Whatever happened to "We don't negotiate with terrorists"? I suppose Hollywood doesn't agree with that sentiment and would rather give them the power.

Well, Team America is a funny film and looks far more amusing than The Interview. So perhaps NK were actually trying to save us from some more 'SNL-sketch-stretched-out-too-long' movies.

Casual Shinji:
Remember when North Korea wasn't a big deal? When nobody cared Kim Jong-il featured as a villian?

Remember when South Park had that episode of the Super Best Friends featuring Mohammed, and nobody cared?

Probably because cyberwarfare is turning out to be a serious threat...

If anything, it makes me hope that the Western world is going to tighten its big-boy pants and actually give North Korea the whooping it deserves, either through extreme sanctions or outright warfare.

Well done Sony and Paramount, you're goddamned cowards.

Now that hackers now that you can be bent to their will, have getting more bullshit like this in the future.

Hey, perhaps they could cancel that stupid 'Blackhat' movie where I'm supposed to believe that a 10/10 Brick Shithouse like Chris Hemsworth is a 'hacker', that 'blackhat' is synonymous with 'terrorist' and Edward Snowden was 'a very bad man'.

Kim Jong and his happy band of retards need assassinated, end of.

Rescue the good 'uns and remove the remaining vile scum with a big bucket of hot soapy water, laced with DEATH (muahahaha) and a really spiky brush.

Casual Shinji:

Because people evidently don't understand that the point of terrorism is to instill fear, and that giving in to that is to essentially admit defeat.

And at any rate I shall enjoy the south park episode handling this.

Right so... People are bowing down to a nation run by a bunch of nutters that makes Stalin look like a role model... I forsee good things coming from this...

Is it really any surprise Hollywood would cave like a bunch of p*****?

"The terrorists win again, it seems, and now we're wondering how Trey Parker and Matt Stone (South Park, Team America) feel about the move."

Very sadly, I concur.

And why the hell does Paramount have this kind of cancellation power?
(No need to answer, thanks to good old greedy contracts that favor those in power over the little people trying to make a buck (i.e. the small theaters in this case) )...

Let's hope the upcoming South Park episode about it will be funny!

Funny how when a store decides to not carry a game anymore due to outside pressure everyone is fine with calling this a decision made by a private entity but when a product that has not yet been released is cancelled to avoid possible (yet improbable) harm then that's suddenly a slippery slope.

Terrorism won. Great. At least the inevitable South Park episode should be good.

The only good coming out of this is the South Park episode that will inevitably occur is going to be a laugh riot.

Yan007:
Funny how when a store decides to not carry a game anymore due to outside pressure everyone is fine with calling this a decision made by a private entity but when a product that has not yet been released is cancelled to avoid possible (yet improbable) harm then that's suddenly a slippery slope.

It's funny how you consider petitioning and outright threatening interchangeable.

The petitioners for the Target/GTA thing weren't threatening to harm Target or its patrons. These 'hackers' were.

It's a bit of a difference.

Fireprufe15:
Hahahahah. Whatever happened to "We don't negotiate with terrorists"? I suppose Hollywood doesn't agree with that sentiment and would rather give them the power.

To be fair they aren't negotiating they're just giving in to whatever the terrorists ask for. Sony is not an american company they are japanese so i don't expect them to understand "america fuck yeah" mentality but Paramount damn sure does know better. what the fuck is going in this country?

Yan007:

This isn't about a slippery slope, this is about giving in to terrorist threats. There is a reason they always say "we don't negotiate with terrorists" and that reason is that the moment you give them what they want, they have won. And if they win once, they'll be all the more likely to try and win again.

So why is it the movie business world are so suddently scared of North Korea now? (It's a rhetorical question before you start quoating me).

Either way, man North Korea must be having a celebration over it!

Well fuck you North Korea. Oh, its easy to call Paramount and Sony cowards but its North Korea who can't take a FUCKING joke. They are like the kid in class who gets offended by everything even if its not targetted at them but still wish to ruin the fun for everyone.

North Korea, your leader is not great. He's not all powerful and he is not a God. He's a fucking child that ordered his own uncle to be killed and got upset cause a barber in the UK used his hairstyle as an example of a bad hairdo. A really shit. Gosh, they complain that gamers and fanboys are annoying whiners but this guy is a pathetic little shit.

Creators of South Park, you know what to do next and hope Paramount don't pull that from Comedy Central.

CAPTCHA: "cop an attitude" - Damn fucking straight.

Scarim Coral:
So why is it the movie business world are so suddently scared of North Korea now? (It's a rhetorical question before you start quoating me).

Either way, man North Korea must be having a celebration over it!

Yeah, Glorious Leader propaganda will actually be true for once if this did originate from NK.

Who honestly didn't see this coming? Just playing another film for free with no royalties getting paid? It was a nice gesture but of course legal recourse was going to happen.

i wonder if this is a case of knowing when to back off

Fireprufe15:

Yan007:

This isn't about a slippery slope, this is about giving in to terrorist threats. There is a reason they always say "we don't negotiate with terrorists" and that reason is that the moment you give them what they want, they have won. And if they win once, they'll be all the more likely to try and win again.

I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is that feminism (radical or not), SJWism and PCism are a much greater threat to Western societies and cultures than North Korea, China , Communism and Muslims (radical or not). Put differently, it's about time we remember what made Western societies so great and it's not being nice or avoiding conflict: it's allowing differences to exist, allowing others to offend and not sacrificing freedom for security.

By the way: What you just said is exactly what a slippery slope is: A little of something will bring more later because you can't stop anymore (slippery slope...duh).

What after this? Are they going to stop screenings of Inglorious Basterds to please the Neo-Nazis? Burn copies of the Malcolm McDowell Caligula movie because some some crazy "historians" are claiming he was a modest guy and have threatened anyone who dares show it? Is Iran gonna jump in on the fun to stop 300, in all its forms, from being sold?

Hey, terrorists, why don't you fix the Mafia-like US healthcare system and minimum wage issues across the world. If you can get mage corps to bend over backwards for you, maybe they'll do something that has actual ethical merits.

Yan007:

Fireprufe15:

Yan007:

I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is that feminism (radical or not), SJWism and PCism are a much greater threat to Western societies and cultures than North Korea, China , Communism and Muslims (radical or not). Put differently, it's about time we remember what made Western societies so great and it's not being nice or avoiding conflict: it's allowing differences to exist, allowing others to offend and not sacrificing freedom for security.

By the way: What you just said is exactly what a slippery slope is: A little of something will bring more later because you can't stop anymore (slippery slope...duh).

Not to berate you, but I'm just gonna warn you that you're probably about to get a bunch of angry letters for that.

I agree with parts of it, but it doesn't really need to be said past your original point of people not caring about games being pressured out of circulation and movies being pressured out of circulation causing shouts of "TERRORISM" when there's not a huge amount of public evidence supporting that at the moment.

Yan007:

Except it's not, because in this case it's a proven fact. The Somali piracy exploded when people started to give in and pay ransoms to them left and right, it wasn't until people decided that maybe putting armed guards and sending in navy ships instead of continuing to give in to the pirate's demands would work better that it finally died down.

kyp275:

Yan007:

Except it's not, because in this case it's a proven fact. The Somali piracy exploded when people started to give in and pay ransoms to them left and right, it wasn't until people decided that maybe putting armed guards and sending in navy ships instead of continuing to give in to the pirate's demands would work better that it finally died down.

"In the classical form, the arguer suggests that making a move in a particular direction starts something on a path down a "slippery slope". Having started down the metaphorical slope, it will continue to slide in the same direction (the arguer usually sees the direction as a negative direction)."

I don't see how we're disagreeing on this, but ok.

Redryhno:

Yan007:

Fireprufe15:

Not to berate you, but I'm just gonna warn you that you're probably about to get a bunch of angry letters for that.

I agree with parts of it, but it doesn't really need to be said past your original point of people not caring about games being pressured out of circulation and movies being pressured out of circulation causing shouts of "TERRORISM" when there's not a huge amount of public evidence supporting that at the moment.

I don't mind the angry letters. I have a bin just for this, as every adult should.

As for your last point, I'll freely express my opinions and argue with others, in the same way I don't tell them not to rephrase what they already told me. If you think I should be silenced then you should flag my posts.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.