Notch Just Bought a $70 Million Mansion in Beverly Hills

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Notch Just Bought a $70 Million Mansion in Beverly Hills

Notch's real estate agent says it's the most cash ever shelled out for a Beverly Hills home.

This is what happens when you sell your company to Microsoft, and immediately become Oprah Rich.

According a press release from LA real estate firm John Aaroe Group, Markus "Notch" Persson just dropped $70 million on a home in Beverly Hills. The purchase price is believed to be the highest ever for the LA enclave, and the home in question is all kinds of ludicrous.

Included are eight bedrooms, 15 bathrooms, an underground garage, "apartment-sized" closets, a candy room, two bars (one for tequila, one for vodka), and a 54-foot-long sliding glass door that overlooks the swimming pool.

Persson tweeted a picture from the candy room earlier this evening, confirming that he bought the home...and now has more candy than the Hershey Empire.

The basement has three 90-inch HDTVs that display scenic images captured by cameras installed on the roof of the home. And each of the 15 bathrooms has a $5,500 Toto Neorest toilet.

No, I am not making this up. The mansion can be seen in full in the gallery below, and it's got its own listing website.

What's even better? The home was being sought after by none other than Jay-Z and Beyonce, who were apparently outbid by the Minecraft creator.

This begs the question: If Notch gets back into the game developer business, will he be setting up shop in LA? West Coast, Best Coast.

Source: Curbed LA

So Notch has no idea of how to spend money. I guess he learned that from Microsoft. I could get a house in a better location with everything he could want for $10 million.

Unfortunately it does overlook LA. Hopefully they knocked off some money for that.

Personally I couldn't stand to live in a place like that, it's more of a showroom than a home, heck they even have random motorbikes and flintlock pistols just for decoration.

Makes me smile though to think of Jay-Z and Beyonce being outbid by someone they probably haven't heard of.

Also, to follow on with more Zeni:

It looks a bit like Tony Stark's house. No stilts, but still...

crimson5pheonix:

Unfortunately it does overlook LA. Hopefully they knocked off some money for that.

I'm stumped I watched all of Kill la Kill yet I remember none of those scenes.

OT:Don't have much to say it doesn't seem like its worth $70 million but if I had the amounts of money Notch now has I doubt I would worry about the price of something too much.

Xan Krieger:
So Notch has no idea of how to spend money. I guess he learned that from Microsoft. I could get a house in a better location with everything he could want for $10 million.

However, he apparently got the equivalent of $1 billion from that deal with Microsoft. With a budget even 1/10 as big as that, there's little point in doing the extra work of searching and haggling. It's like getting a pre-built PC instead of building it yourself when you can spare the extra $500 or so.

I suppose with a house that size you kind of need 15 toilets.

Sweet.
The girls and the bike are part of the package?

That's a really awesome house, but I'm not sure I would want to live like that. Probably I'm paranoid, but I don't like grabbing attention, and with a high-profile residence like that, I would have a hard time to rest easy. I'd lie in bed and be afraid of burglars, the Russian mafia, creepers or whatever other professional criminals that might be out to get me or my cash.

But with 3$ billion, you might be able to hire The Rock, Bruce Willis, John Travolta and Silvester Stallone to protect you, so maybe I would feel safe then...

Maybe it's just the pessimistic side of me, but I don't see why we should care. The guy got filthy rich and retired to the lifestyle of celebrities (buying expensive things, then showing them off to the world). Great, he bought a new house; Why should we care? He isn't using it as the grounds for a new studio to make new games or tech is he?

kael013:
Maybe it's just the pessimistic side of me, but I don't see why we should care. The guy got filthy rich and retired to the lifestyle of celebrities (buying expensive things, then showing them off to the world). Great, he bought a new house; Why should we care? He isn't using it as the grounds for a new studio to make new games or tech is he?

The same reason everyone is obsessed with what celebrities do. Who the hell cares.

I'm not usually one to say this, but how is this newsworthy and why should we care? He bought an expensive house, good for him. It's a nice house I guess, hope he's happy with it. What more can I say really?

Why exactly do we care what he does with his money?

I'm in the "why should we care" camp. And I've frequently been upset with how much this site stalks notch and makes an article every time he farts.

However, the fact that he outbid jay-Z and beyonce makes me extremely happy, and now I'm okay with this article. It wouldn't have been much of an article with just that one sentence, however I feel like that should be the title.

Honestly, aside from the view, that place was kind of unimpressive for $70 million =/

Looked like an expensive day spa rather than a house. The fuck would he even do with all the extra bedrooms? Not like he has 7 kids last I checked?

Kim Dot Coms pad was much cooler.

totheendofsin:

Well from one perspective nothing, because it's none of our business, and I don't disagree with that.

But on the other hand, the guy made a game, than made a company around the game, and finally the game became so popular that he sold his company for so much money that he was able to spend 70 million dollars on house. I mean as far as games as a business go, this guy won the lottery. I mean if making games was a game, he won, and this is his trophy. It's inspirational to a degree right? I want a billion dollars. and he has 2.5...

ron1n:
Honestly, aside from the view, that place was kind of unimpressive for $70 million =/

Indeed. I mean, I can imagine and have some seen some damn nice homes closer to $1 million. That house is nice, but 70x as nice as those? Eh, not so much.

Also, the toilets. Is it just me or do those $5,500 toilets look tiny and uncomfortable? Like fancy hobbit toilets.

...and in the basement a mob grinder. Bone meal for days...

Watch as Jay-Z makes a rap song about busting a cap in Notch's ass over this and MTV plays the video every chance they get.

kael013:
snip

Clive Howlitzer:
snip

Kungfu_Teddybear:
snip

oplinger:
snip

Normally I would agree with the "Who the hell cares?" sentiment, but in this case it's an interesting landmark.

The fact that the most expensive Beverly Hills home of all time just went to a video game designer, and one that looks so stereotypically nerdy at that, is an interesting sign of how high-profile games and more specifically their creators have become. They're not just the programmers pumping out games from cubicles anymore.

But yeah, why the fuck did he buy a house in LA of all places?

Man, keeping that thing tidy is going to be a pain in the arse, I hope he saved some money to hire some cleaning staff.

This just in, rich guy buys a mansion, more news at 7.

I mean is this news worthy at all, i drank some soft drink earlier do you want to write an article about me aswell?

Well, Notch clearly has no idea how to spend all that money the world threw at him. That house isn't even very tasteful.

I'm not Notch, but if I were, I would probably donate the majority of whatever was left after taxes on that $2.5 billion buyout. Getting a grandiose house in the middle of Existential Void City seems beneath someone of the integrity Notch has shown in the past. Perhaps the wealth changed him, as it does so many.

Good on him. He achieved the American/Capitolist dream, and did it by selling a highly desired, superior product that is fun for everyone.

And he did it while still keeping his humanity and sanity, how rare.
He deserves it.

totheendofsin:

Exactly. I'm not interested in this type of "news"

Notch needs to stay out of video game news. Even if he is a Dev, it is not like we are going to be able to play any of his future games because of the chance they be become hits. Which if they do he said he would stop working on them. Time to put him the video game archives under Minecraft & Inde Dev.

Dandres:
Notch needs to stay out of video game news. Even if he is a Dev, it is not like we are going to be able to play any of his future games because of the chance they be become hits. Which if they do he said he would stop working on them. Time to put him the video game archives under Minecraft & Inde Dev.

He needs to stay out of video games news? Did he write an article about himself and post it on news websites?

It is nice to see someone basking in all the riches who isn't just the child of a some rich guy or a music star or actor.

But at the same time, what's the point? Is this a party house or something? 15 bathrooms?! How many arses does this guy have?

Quick! Someone recreate it in Minecraft!

He's a gaming nerd that's living the dream.

Welp, there goes the hope of local reinvestment.

Jolly good on him, though. It's nice to see someone succeed like that. It was a damn neat game.

Honestly, I would have bought my own island with Notch's money. This is dull in comparison to dreaming up a Notch owned island where he had a castle built out of 1x1 cubic blocks and lava colored waterfalls erupting out of the walls.

Man, I wish I was so rich I could spend money like that without batting an eye. And the stuff I could fill those rooms with! One room for PlayStation stuff. One for Nintendo. One for Microsoft. Star Wars. Lord of the Rings. Swords. Ponies! Kotobukiya statues!

Er...that's only seven rooms. Oh dear. I would apparently need more stuff...no matter. I would get more stuff!

I mean it's no Hearst Castle, but it certainly is interesting that a modern-day Xanadu would go to a video game developer.

Are we going to get a thread when Notch takes a shit?

As far as I know he is not a game developer anymore, not sure why we would be discussing his personal financial decisions here.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here