FBI Formally Accuses North Korea of Sony Pictures Hack - Update

Pages PREV 1 2

It is apparent to all I think (apart from NK obviously) that if everyone did go to war with them - they'd cause some damage but they wouldn't have a snowflakes chance in hell of victory.

For whatever reason it may eventually happen... I'm not sure how I feel explaining to my kids one day that a movie sparked the whole thing.

I'm not saying I indeed think this will escalate to war; just pondering the possibility.

CrazyGirl17:
...Is it wrong that I hope this ends up biting North Korea in the ass eventually?

Trishbot:
80 years from now...

"Grandma, grandpa... you were there at the start of World War 3. How did it happen?"
"Well, er, you see... James Franco and Seth Rogan made a stoner comedy that North Korea didn't like...."

That's going to be some embarrassing history to put in the history books.

God, if this winds up starting World War III... I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Unlikely. The dominos would have to fall thusly: the movie is released with the US government saying any attack on a theater showing it would be considered an act of war by NK. NK attacks a theater. US and allies retaliate against NK. China, not seeing how stupid the cause of this whole conflict is, backs NK. WW3.

There's only 3 problems with that chain: the movie probably wouldn't see a theatrical release, but a digital and DVD one, NK has no real (known) way of attacking a theater on another country's soil, and China's government isn't that stupid.

ObsidianJones:
All of that is true, but it's still a company. A subsidiary of a Japanese company.

Gizmo, who I was quoted, mentioned that the US should call the North Korean bluff and show the movie.

It wasn't US's decision to pull the movie. It was Sony's. Again, maybe an American Company, but still a company.

I can guarantee you that if the US government wanted the movie shown, I mean really wanted it shown, then it would be shown.

Silentpony:
I'm honestly impressed. I didn't think North Korea had it in them. I mean how many computers do they have? 100? Maybe?!
Yes yes, I know, outside of Korea blah blah blah. Still, that someone in Bad Guy Korea has the modern knowledge to know hacking was even possible? Pretty damn impressive.

They have a basically scratch built and home grown nuclear weapons and ballistic missile program, hacking isn't something that difficult for those with the aptitude and North Korea does have technicians and scientists of all kinds.

They are not a tribe from the middle of the Amazon somewhere, they have computers its just the average citizen wouldn't have one at home and no-one that doesn't have a governmental driven need for one will have access to any..

Silentpony:
I'm honestly impressed. I didn't think North Korea had it in them. I mean how many computers do they have? 100? Maybe?!
Yes yes, I know, outside of Korea blah blah blah. Still, that someone in Bad Guy Korea has the modern knowledge to know hacking was even possible? Pretty damn impressive.

Western media tells us that their backwards, do we truly know where they stand? None of us have been there to see ourselves.

Gizmo1990:
If even one thing happens to a movie theater showing this movie the US will consider it an act of war by North Korea at which point they send in the Navy.

This is actually why I think the showings should not have been cancelled, on top of the bullying-censorship angle. If anything, and I mean, ANYTHING, happened anywhere, North Korea would have been getting a shiny new (war followed by) Freedom for the new year.

Okay, so it probably wouldn't go down exactly like that, or as clean, but hey, the Kim family should have been ousted a looooong time ago.

Lunncal:
I don't get it, what's the point in North Korea hacking Sony Pictures if they don't admit that they did it? If they had claimed ownership of the attack from the start, it'd make sense as a sort of publicity stunt, the kind NK does all the time. Why perform an impressive (for NK) cyber-attack and then just deny it? It pisses off the US without making North Korea look any less insignificant, where's the gain?

It's basically like a threat from organized crime: it's fairly obvious that North Korea's dictatorship at the very least connected to the threat, but they get to claim due process if anybody tries to pin any actual crimes on them because there's not enough official evidence to go further than frowning.

It feels like the world stage is as it was a century ago. We can talk about all of the countries coming together to discuss things, but when Russia decides to ride high on their own ambitions, all the sanctions and asset freezing are good for are cementing Russia's political powerbase at home firmly in blind faith that their homeland is the only thing to trust in, and radical groups and dictatorships everywhere continue to feed off of the fear that won't be faced.

Trishbot:
80 years from now...

"Grandma, grandpa... you were there at the start of World War 3. How did it happen?"
"Well, er, you see... James Franco and Seth Rogan made a stoner comedy that North Korea didn't like...."

That's going to be some embarrassing history to put in the history books.

World War 1: The assassination of Franz Ferdinand
World War 2: The Danzig Ultimatum
World War 3: The Interview starring Seth Rogan and James Franco.

You know, I almost.. almost want to see that go down that way in the history books.

Shinkicker444:
You know, I almost.. almost want to see that go down that way in the history books.

I don't. If we can start wars based on movie releases, what's next? The Great Tumblr Genocide of 2027? The Facebook Pogroms of 2040?

josh4president:
So this was in doubt at some point?

Literally the only party with any conceivable reason to actively seek the cancellation of the movie's release... turns out to be the prime suspect of being behind the cancellation of the movie release?

HERESY! MADNESS!

Bullshit.

This movie is now super famous, when it does come out, who do you think will get the most money? Hint, not North Korea.

Also, North Korea denied responsability.

Full Metal Bolshevik:

This movie is now super famous, when it does come out, who do you think will get the most money? Hint, not North Korea.

Also, North Korea denied responsability.

Not only did they deny their responsibility they have offered to help in a joint inquiry.

Now I know North Korea is not the shining beacon of civilization but offering to participate in an in inquiry does not seem like something a guilty party would indulge in, especially not a repressive government like North Korea.

NK just seems like to much of a scapegoat. If I was planning an internet raid I'd make sure my tracks led to North Korea .

The US's response to the joint probe is laughably passive aggressive " If the North Korean government wants to help, they can admit their culpability" Seriously? what kind of response is that? http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30560712

I am not saying that North Korea definitely did not do this, but I think we should all take a step back, hop off the bandwagon, apply some critical thinking and wait to see this to the end before judging . So far only the US government has been out, proclaiming that the North Korean government is the culprit, and they(US gov't), at least for me don't count as an honest unbiased source, especially in light of recent revelations.

Honestly it just seems odd that Sony would capitualate like this to threats without contacting some government agency first. They didn't even talk to the FBI or Naicho or some other police agency, they just gave up. Which I find odd.

Apl_J:
I'm counting the days until I can say Seth Rogan and James Franco started World War III

Yeah, I'm sure China are really going to go to bat for a squat little psycho who is trying to piss off China's biggest trading partner. If push comes to shove, China will just kill Kim themselves and install their own much more sane puppet.

O maestre:

Now I know North Korea is not the shining beacon of civilization but offering to participate in an in inquiry does not seem like something a guilty party would indulge in, especially not a repressive government like North Korea.

Yes, thats totally what an innocent person does. Like when OJ said he wanted to find the REAL killers.

NK denying involvement in the attack just sounds like:

FBI "You did a thing! Admit it!"
NK "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope"
FBI "Do you have any proof?"
NK "We will help you in an investigation!"
FBI "Well that is great, but what is stopping you from lying and falsifying any findings?"
NK "We didn't do it. We Promise?"

The NK Government may well be innocent in this cyber attack, but they aren't exactly doing too great at trying to prove that they had nothing to do with it.

Laggyteabag:
NK denying involvement in the attack just sounds like:

FBI "You did a thing! Admit it!"
NK "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope"
FBI "Do you have any proof?"
NK "We will help you in an investigation!"
FBI "Well that is great, but what is stopping you from lying and falsifying any findings?"
NK "We didn't do it. We Promise?"

The NK Government may well be innocent in this cyber attack, but they aren't exactly doing too great at trying to prove that they had nothing to do with it.

And the FBI has shown proof? or saying they have proof is proof enough for you? We know absolutely nothing, it's one word vs the other, and I trust neither.

Here I thought Americans always find everything that their governments do, they do something fishy. Welp! Guess I was wrong, we all trusted our government and they always do what's best for the country.

RicoADF:

Silentpony:

Western media tells us that their backwards, do we truly know where they stand? None of us have been there to see ourselves.

More than likely, I would venture to guess they outsourced the actual hacking to a sympathetic organization, possibly in China or the like. I seriously doubt they have the manpower to independently engineer such a hefty cyber attack.

"Advanced lesson" in picking a fight: subtly incite your opponent to lash out disproportionately, then go all righteous on his ass.

No subtlety here. No subtlety required, perhaps?

Well holy shit. North Koreai really that pathetic. I just can't believe it. How did they have the education to do this.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here