New Battlefield: Hardline Trailer: Waiter, there's Fast & Furious in My Soup

New Battlefield: Hardline Trailer: Waiter, there's Fast & Furious in My Soup

There's a dash of Need for Speed in there, too.

While DICE has us playing the waiting game for more Battlefield 4 DLC, EA and Visceral have a new look at Battlefield: Hardline's urban- and chase-focused gameplay.

Headline jokes aside? Hardline certainly draws some influence from the likes of Fast & Furious, Need for Speed, and maybe a dash of Heat. Regardless of influence, Hardline is eschewing most of what makes the Battlefield franchise so popular (64-player combat, massive maps, military themes), for a very different look.

But it's a look that could work. The smaller maps and team sizes could draw in those who desire a more intimate Battlefield experience (the Bad Company crowd, perhaps), and the "cops and robbers," motif is sure to peel a Payday 2 fan or two away form Overkill's online co-op classic.

I'm still spending plenty of time schlepping around Zavod 311, Operation Whiteout, and Rogue Transmission in BF4. But as the new challenger approaches, it's hard to not have my interest just a little bit piqued at the thought of running around in a Dodge Charger-looking sedan, blasting away at the road block that lies ahead.

Source: Battlefield (YouTube)

Non-lethal takedowns. Uh, so unrealistic. Everyone knows there's no such thing in the US police.

Adam Jensen:
Non-lethal takedowns. Uh, so unrealistic. Everyone knows there's no such thing in the US police.

Rewatch the video, the "accused terrorist" is caucasian, thus lethal force was not required. After hiring a good lawyer he was sentenced to 6 months of house arrest and required to do 40 hours of community service.

I wonder if there are both white and black characters in Hardline multiplayer. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a gameplay video where white criminals are taken into custody while black characters are shot on sight.

captcha: walk free

You just can't make this stuff up.

So is it official, is this finally the point where EA release Battlefield: COD edition? I am sorry but that video was the stupidest thing I've ever seen but I do agree about the Fast and Furious reference in as far as BF has now jumped the shakr as much as the F and F franchise has.

I am not usually nostalgic about games but having started with BF2 and having watched what EA and Dice have done to the BF name over the years finally ending up with this utter insult to the name. It saddens me, looks like this will be the third year in a row I won't be buying a new BF title.

I actually am warming to this... i'll wait for more review feed back its not a buy on day of release thing but we'll see.

The saddest thing about this for me is that I actually kind of like it, and that's coming from someone who played nothing but the old battlefields (2, 19's, Spec Ops) and fucking hated 3 (and didn't buy 4) due to it turning into a COD-esque game, removing a lot of the huge scale that BF2 and a frankly utterly shite singleplayer that I don't think anyone ever wanted.

But I really like this idea because I fucking LOVE Payday and asymmetrical gameplay. I love the idea of trying to get away with all the money from the bank, but even though you have the initial drop on the police they will slowly push you out of the bank and you have to rush to get away. Maybe some of the police players choose to stay out of the bank to stop escapes.

But knowing my luck, it'll come out and the maps will all be one police entrance, one robber exit and a pre-scripted get-away sequence because of reasons.

Rednog:

Adam Jensen:

Rewatch the video, the "accused terrorist" is caucasian, thus lethal force was not required. After hiring a good lawyer he was sentenced to 6 months of house arrest and required to do 40 hours of community service.

Yes, because the dozens of other white, caucasion criminals that where gunned down by that SWAT team after firing on cops and thus authorizing lethal force dont count, right?

OT: I am definitely going to get this thing when it comes out. I stopped playing Battlefield after 3, the last one I LOVED was Bad Company 2, and I skipped 4 even before the problems occured (it seemed to similar to 3 for my taste). But THIS....Looks awesome. And if the cop talking in the beginning/flipping the bird near the middle is the one you play as in the campaign, I can already tell me and him are going to get along JUST fine.

EDIT: Also, I will have to put that song on my Itunes wishlist, because it sounds awesome as well. This coming from someone who normally listens to rock and country.

lol it's Captain David Aceveda. Should have just made this more like The Shield and been done with it.

Really wish EA, Activision and Ubisoft would give up on trying to emulate Hollywood movies and get back to basics like map design and quality netcode.

And I'd almost be interested if I didn't have 90% certainty that the single-player campaign would be a heavily-scripted trainer for multiplayer, and the multiplayer would be ridden with bugs and poor map design for months after release.

Which is a pity, 'cause I'd love to scratch my cops-vs-robbers, high-speed-chase itch but I can never find anyone to play Payday with me.

The Rogue Wolf:

Which is a pity, 'cause I'd love to scratch my cops-vs-robbers, high-speed-chase itch but I can never find anyone to play Payday with me.

Add me on steam and we'll rob a bank together :-)

OT: Looks interesting but like other's I'm skeptical due to EA's past, I'll wait and see what the reviews say then might grab it.

Meeeeeeeeeeh. I might check it out at some point, but only after it goes on super sale. The beta left a bad impression and the footage still just looks like "BF4: Police Edition, now with less tanks and more leaning out of cars!".

I still can't believe that they dragged Visceral away from Dead Space to work on this.

"Hardline certainly draws some influence from the likes of Fast & Furious, Need for Speed, and maybe a dash of Heat"

Lets not forget Payday 1 and 2, the games that did this first and EA completely ripped off (right down the Ace iconography).

Looks very flashy and all, but no one pays Battlefield (except BC) for it's single-player.

I found some sexy sexy hotwire gameplay that looks good though.

If I get Hardline, it'll be for this, not some heavily scripted CoD rip-off multiplayer tutorial.

Edit: Gonna wait until I see gameplay with netcode that isn't fuckin' shit-house first though.

I kinda like the whole storyline for this one to be honest. Allthough I will beat anyone that says that Bad Company 2's story was bad. That game was good.I liked it a lot. One of the few EA titles I like.

I just don't see Fast-'N-Furious in that video. It looks more like a gameplay version of S.W.A.T. (the movie). It is interesting and looks like fun, but still no FnF there.

Deathfish15:
I just don't see Fast-'N-Furious in that video. It looks more like a gameplay version of S.W.A.T. (the movie). It is interesting and looks like fun, but still no FnF there.

It has cars with flames coming out of their exhaust. That's all that's needed for it to be deemed FNF, I guess.

Why was this not simply called "Hardline," and treated as it's own intellectual property again? Oh yeah! "Brand recognition."

While the single player will clearly be heavily scripted, I'm hoping that the MP can deliver on the "speed," chases, and destruction. I'm curious to see how the flow will be interrupted when you die. Are they giving both sides "tickets" like previous battlefield games? What if you're in the middle of a pursuit, die, and respawn? Do you need to try to find a vehicle capable of getting you back to the action? I quit BF after Bad Company 2, but even in BF2 and BF2142, it sucked having to try to hoof it back to the action. Also, if there really is a high speed chase taking place, it defeats the purpose of the chase if you're just able to "catch back up to them," doesn't it?

Maybe they'll have NPC mobile spawn points - think of the NPCs in Titanfall. Maybe you'll have an NPC cop always driving in pursuit of the criminals, that you can "take control of" when you die in order to get you right back into the action. Also, how will it work for the criminals on the run? You die/get captured, and that's it?

My problem is, I watch the Fast and Furious movies while texting a few years after their release on USA or some other lower tier cable network. My interest is limited and I only look up every once in awhile to see what's happening. I'm sad to see the BF franchise going in that direction. They've been heading that way since BF3. That said, if the gameplay is solid, the trailers won't matter. My bitter cynicism won't matter. If the gameplay is solid, if the servers stay up, if they deliver on their promises, nothing changes. A bunch of people starving for something to play on their consoles will buy it, justify a sequel and that's justthewayofthingsisn'tit.exe I played in the beta. It was OK. seemed like an expansion pack for BF4 but you know, that Payday 2 though. They did well. Better make a game that trades on that! I'm old. I've no fracks left to give. Go get em kids.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here