Sony Approves The Interview Screenings in Select Theaters on Christmas Day

Sony Approves The Interview Screenings in Select Theaters on Christmas Day

The Interview James Franco 310x

The Plaza Theater in Atlanta, Georgia was the first to confirm Christmas Day screenings.

Update: The Wrap is now reporting that Sony Pictures will release The Interview via Video On Demand on Christmas as well. While specific partners are not named in the report, The Wrap did confirm that it will not be exclusive to Dish Network, as previously rumored. As VOD is a fairly generic term, any number of cable providers could be in on the deal -- Comcast, Verizon, etc.

This means The Interview would see a simultaneous release in theaters as well as VOD, although it's yet to be seen if any major movie theater chain will pick up the Sony comedy.

Sony Pictures CEO Michael Lynton has also released s statement on the release. "We have never given up on releasing The Interview, and we're excited our movie will be in a number of theaters Christmas Day," says Lynton. "At the same time we are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theaters so that this movie reaches the largest possible audience."

Original Story: News has just broke that several theaters will be screening The Interview on Christmas Day. THR got the scoop, as Sony Pictures has seemingly done a near-complete course correction after cancelling the James Franco and Seth Rogen comedy late last week.

The first theater to confirm its own screenings was the Plaza Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia, followed by the Alamo Drafthouse in Dallas, Texas (as well as their location in Kansas City, MO). Both theaters are screening The Interview with permission from Sony, and Alamo Drafthouse founder Tim League confirmed as much on Twitter.

Neither the Alamo Drafthouse nor the Plaza Theater are part of "Big Five" movie theater chains (AMC, Regal, etc.) which ties into the narrative set forth last week. Sony Pictures cancelled the release of The Interview only after the five largest movie theater companies in the United States said they wouldn't screen the film, citing safety concerns.

The cancellations were official on Thursday...but of course plenty can happen within five days. The FBI officially accused North Korea of the Sony Pictures hack, followed by President Obama's thoughts on the matter -- Sony cancelling The Interview being a mistake, specifically. North Korea has denied any involvement in the hack, but that hasn't stopped one or several groups of hacktivists from shutting down the country's Internet access.

If you're in the DFW metroplex area, and you want a screening of The Interview to be in your future? You can buy tickets here.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

This news comes out the same day that North Korea's internet is apparently down?

*sniff* You guys smell that?

Paradox SuXcess:

*sniff* Smells like we won't be spared another shitty Seth Rogen movie after all...

Well, baby steps, people, baby steps. It might not be a full-blown release but at least Sony is releasing it somewhere.

I approve, although I would like it if it was released to everyone.

In 10 years are we going to be reading about how this was an elaborate hoax on the part of Sony in order to drum up publicity for a movie that they feared wouldn't do too well? Before all of this, how many "lowest common denominator" movie goers really cared about seeing some goof balls try to kill the leader of N. Korea? But now, "everyone" is gonna go out on XMAS day in order to show north korea that they will not be messed with.

But the question remains: Is it actually any good? I swear a shit-ton of people are now just gonna watch the movie 'cause "fuck censorship". If it weren't for the leak of that internal Sony data, this could've been pretty much one big successful PR campaign for the movie.

Updated the post, everyone. New info: The Interview is reportedly being released via VOD on Christmas Day as well.
-Devin Connors

For once I feel bad in the initial reports they made it sound like Sony were being cowards and we all called them out on it, but as time goes on it's been made pretty clear Sony didn't have any say in it AMC theaters Paramount and the other theater chains refused to play it.

Sony,

mah bad.

/fin

PS
(fix spiderman)

And so ends the greatest marketing stunt in Sony's history. Even if the supposed hacking did happen at the hands of NK, public interest has skyrocketed ever since then, so it would be foolish for Sony to not capitalize on the fame and recent NK internet blackout as much as they could.

But will this be happening outside the US? Because I'm not hopping the boarder to see the movie. Not on Christmas.

It's a good move. But I do worry for the safety of the movie patrons. Not from NK, which was NEVER a concern (that country is a parody of itself, and it would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic for the people who live there). It's the individual nut jobs out there (of which there seem to be plenty) who will use NK as an excuse to try and take out a theater full of people. That's where the real danger is.

It's kind of perversely funny: first the reports were that Sony caved in after pressure from (North Korean?) hackers/terrorists.

Then, in the wake of the limited release, the word is that Sony is caving in from pressure from the media and the Obama administration.

(Killer Instinct voice) M-M-M-MULTICAVE!

...Or, from another perspective: Sony's PR team can't win.

Still, all that aside, I'm glad it's getting a release, even if it's a limited one, whether the movie is awesome or terrible.

Paradox SuXcess:
This news comes out the same day that North Korea's internet is apparently down?

Smells like increased profits on a movie that would have otherwise not gotten much attention.

I won't be seeing it, but I think it's good that it is being released in some capacity.

Suck it, North Korea. Money wins, after all. You and your paranoia... Hah!

Do I even care if this is any good? Nah, but it's now a funny anecdote.

Yes! Finally. Me and my friends were incredibly bummed out when the movie got shitcanned at the last minute. Wont be able to see it Christmas day, but we'll all be able to gather at the person with the biggest tv and watch in the comfort of a home now. That's like, the best possible scenario to come out of this.

For those who think Sony faked the whole thing for PR and profit let's review this plan: Sony released for a month embarrassing emails and some unreleased movies. Then they faked a bomb threat and in reaction announced they won't screen the movie at all which made more or less everyone angry at them for being cowards. Now, at long last, the movie will be screened at 2 theaters only, that's while wide release films are being screened on 3000 theaters at least.
Yeah, sounds like a great plan...

oh wow what a surprise. It's not like they were leading people on to abuse the publicity.

I hope we Swedes will get a chance to see it.

This is good, everyone.
The public (through social media and the president) showed that it was angry with how Sony made a decision based on economics/liability instead of morality, and now they're backtracking.

Not too long ago, the standard PR move would be for a company to stand by their decision, and explain why what they did was actually the right thing. But this sets a precedent that it's okay to change your decision if you fuck up.

Someone earlier said "baby steps." That's right. Baby steps, everyone. This is already much more of an improvement than I'd have expected from typical corporate behavior.

Oh, sweet. They are actually going to release it instead of caving to NK. Another victory for freedom of speach ... it's just a shame i never wanted to see this film anyway.

hhmmmm who cares. Its gpoing to be a shit movie and we all know its going to be kinda shit so this was prob some big stunt to get everyone all interested

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here