How Much Money did The Interview Make Online Last Week?

How Much Money did The Interview Make Online Last Week?

The Interview James Franco 310x

While The Interview made roughly $2.8 million from the silver screen, it fared much better on your computer, tablet displays.

After all the commotion with the Sony Pictures hack, North Korea's suspected involvement (or perhaps non-involvement), Sony released The Interview last week to select independent theaters, and via Google Play and YouTube online.

So how was the Kim Jong-un assassination dark comedy received online? According to Sony's figures (via THR), The Interview has grossed over $15 million since its release on Wednesday afternoon. 2.2 million rentals or purchases (there's no breakdown to separate the two) add up to the gross total.

Along with the $15 million made online, The Interview grossed $2.8 million across 331 screens in North America, the majority of which were independent theaters.

The $15 million figure makes The Interview Sony Picture's most successful online movie release ever, as well as its most successful "day-and-date" release ever (when a film is released online and in theaters simultaneously). With SPE spending roughly $90 million on the film (half on production, half on promotion), The Interview still has a ways to go before breaking even for the studio.

There is still no official word on if/when The Interview will be released in major movie theater chains nationwide.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

I know it's impossible to really track accurately, but I'd like to know how much it would have made if there wasn't the big media explosion around it. I mean, it's a Seth Rogen comedy and people generally like those but I'm really not sure this was on anyone's radar before the whole hack/threat/etc. From what I've gathered, a lot of people planned to see it to support free speech or to stick it to North Korea. There was seemingly little interest in the actual movie and how good it was going to be.

However, what of this money is Rental and what is Purchase? Mind you the iTunes version was $14.99 to BUY and thus they won't see another cent from those that purchased the movie through that option. If it's a rental, they may see more rentals down the line of the movie, but that's it.

As for more theaters, why would someone bother with it now? Going to pay $8-11 for a ticket, $6 for a thing of popcorn and $5 for a soda that normally costs $2 at your local 7-11. And that's for ONE PERSON. Saving money by just buying it on iTunes, streaming it on your LCD TV (which most have now days) with friends and family with $5 12pk of soda and $3 worth of microwaved popcorn. Not the same experience but far cheaper and far more enjoyable than sitting 2 rows up from the group of self-absorbed ladies who won't put their [email protected]#*%$ing phones away during the film that you cannot pause or rewind!

Not many people would have watched it if it wasnt for all the commotion with the hacking ect. Most watched it just to stick two fingers up at Nk. Their last movie was so shitty it was unbelievable.

You wonder if NK are hard at work in retaliation. Wonder if they will make a movie where Obama gets raped and murdered by a bunch of psychos? An then show it online to see if America complains? This could be the future folks, instead of threats of nuclear war it will be films made brutalizing the enemies leaders. lol

assuming that the total given in the article is net revenue (total purchase), and not gross revenue (Sony's cut) would determine 15M = 5.99X + 14.99Y which can be solved (granted returning 3 reasonable solutions), but then if this is gross revenue, and or includes revenue from the actual theaters.

then again it was never stated whether or not the Theaters that opted not to show the movie had the "real rental fee" returned. the stupid number that first makes sure the movie copy doesn't walk away, and the real reason concession prices are half of what they are (the other half the gouge comes from limited access, and forced supply/demand limitations).

Deathfish15:
However, what of this money is Rental and what is Purchase? Mind you the iTunes version was $14.99 to BUY and thus they won't see another cent from those that purchased the movie through that option. If it's a rental, they may see more rentals down the line of the movie, but that's it.

As for more theaters, why would someone bother with it now? Going to pay $8-11 for a ticket, $6 for a thing of popcorn and $5 for a soda that normally costs $2 at your local 7-11. And that's for ONE PERSON. Saving money by just buying it on iTunes, streaming it on your LCD TV (which most have now days) with friends and family with $5 12pk of soda and $3 worth of microwaved popcorn. Not the same experience but far cheaper and far more enjoyable than sitting 2 rows up from the group of self-absorbed ladies who won't put their [email protected]#*%$ing phones away during the film that you cannot pause or rewind!

Coming from england where we are allowed to simply bring in our own food / drinks into the cinema how much do they actually check you for stuff like that?

So they made roughly one sixth the budget back. Now the issue is getting people to keep renting/buying it digitally until they can break even. And the only way to keep the movie in the minds of those that might be willing to see it is spending even more on advertising. (Or staging a hack/threat to make people angry at NK again, but at this point in Sony's incompetence with online issues, that might make them look like even bigger asses.) Printing discs will have a good upfront cost, so I don't see DVD's coming out for at least a month after the theaters stop booking the movie.

Some other reports say it did as good as it was expected if it just came to theaters. The problem with that is the people who now own it on {insert some crappy distribution service here} will have never gone to the theater to give Sony 80-90% of the ticket price before buying the same thing again to play at home.

gardian06:
assuming that the total given in the article is net revenue (total purchase), and not gross revenue (Sony's cut) would determine 15M = 5.99X + 14.99Y which can be solved (granted returning 3 reasonable solutions), but then if this is gross revenue, and or includes revenue from the actual theaters.

My guess is they're using the net revenue to inflate the film's success, just like how sometimes companies use the number of consoles/games shipped instead of actual units sold.

gonenow:

Deathfish15:

Coming from england where we are allowed to simply bring in our own food / drinks into the cinema how much do they actually check you for stuff like that?

Like, crazy amount. Every theater has a "no outside food or drinks allowed" policy so that they can only sell their overpriced things. Some don't allow backpacks either, on the grounds that people "sneak" stuff in, although doing so with a purse is possible (but ...men cannot do this, obviously). It's crazy ridiculous too that they're more worried about that than the phones during a movie. Last movie I went to in theaters -Captain America Winter Soldier- I could visible see 3 phones and hear 2 of them ...over the movie; the flashlight effect of the phone's vibrant screen distracts from the movie and the tick-tick-tick of texting is equally obnoxious.

SonOfVoorhees:
Not many people would have watched it if it wasnt for all the commotion with the hacking ect. Most watched it just to stick two fingers up at Nk. Their last movie was so shitty it was unbelievable.

You wonder if NK are hard at work in retaliation. Wonder if they will make a movie where Obama gets raped and murdered by a bunch of psychos? An then show it online to see if America complains? This could be the future folks, instead of threats of nuclear war it will be films made brutalizing the enemies leaders. lol

Doubt it. If they do its only to hide something. NK thrives on directing attention away from their more heinous actions (Concentration camps, Army exercises near Japan, Organized Crime etc.) They know they could never win a war against the West so they divert our attention away from what they are doing and set up obvious laughing targets. They aren't as stupid as we think they are. I mean they are the only Orwellian police state in the world and they have held onto to that for close to seventy years. You don't accomplish something like that by being stupid. Everything that comes in and out of NK is chosen with great care to make the West look at them and laugh. I mean how could they pose any sort of threat if we base everything we see of them in public media.

Deathfish15:

gonenow:

Deathfish15:

Like, crazy amount. Every theater has a "no outside food or drinks allowed" policy so that they can only sell their overpriced things. Some don't allow backpacks either, on the grounds that people "sneak" stuff in, although doing so with a purse is possible (but ...men cannot do this, obviously). It's crazy ridiculous too that they're more worried about that than the phones during a movie. Last movie I went to in theaters -Captain America Winter Soldier- I could visible see 3 phones and hear 2 of them ...over the movie; the flashlight effect of the phone's vibrant screen distracts from the movie and the tick-tick-tick of texting is equally obnoxious.

Clearly need to invest in the fanny pack can probably fit a can of coke or something in one. Probably fit some chocolate in your pockets as well. Personally I'd prefer it if all media was just able to be downloaded off the bat outside of piracy without any adverts cinemas are just not worth the time and money anymore and give a worse experience than your own computer.

gonenow:

Deathfish15:

gonenow:

Clearly need to invest in the fanny pack can probably fit a can of coke or something in one. Probably fit some chocolate in your pockets as well. Personally I'd prefer it if all media was just able to be downloaded off the bat outside of piracy without any adverts cinemas are just not worth the time and money anymore and give a worse experience than your own computer.

I've snuck in a 2 liter before by putting it in my waistband and hunching slightly and walking slowly/with a mild limp.

Well, to be fair....

It will probably be the only movie in history to almost create a terrorist threat by making dick jokes.

The past shall look at us and think this story is a joke of some kind.

Aaah the Streisand effect.
Silly North Korea. Though it was probably a good move to make the threat anonymously. People hear a threat and they feel threatened, then they hear North Korea is behind it and start laughing and go back to their day.

Deathfish15:

gonenow:

Deathfish15:

And this is why I wear cargo pants. Can fit 3-4 bottles of soda in them.

Deathfish15:

gonenow:

Like, crazy amount. Every theater has a "no outside food or drinks allowed" policy so that they can only sell their overpriced things. Some don't allow backpacks either, on the grounds that people "sneak" stuff in, although doing so with a purse is possible (but ...men cannot do this, obviously).

But that's what combat jeans are for!

You can stuff half a Swiss chocolate factory inside them if you pack it properly (minus the lederhosen)

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd.

After watching it simply to piss off a dictator, I can see the publicity helping a lot. I only found two parts funny, both related to the same item, and the first time I should have seen it coming but I wasn't really paying attention. I suppose I can only say it made more than I thought but less than I (and Sony) hoped. And it's not like I wanted the film to be a success, but I have a loyalty to Sony so I kinda wish them well in their endeavors. The movie pretty much sucked though.

Rogen's last film (Bad Neighbours) banked $49mil opening weekend, before that This Is The End made $20.7mil - so $15mil for the interview is not good, especially when you considered budgets ($18mil & $32mil respectively) - so neither cost as much (even put together) and both heaped back more in just screenings, as some of the interview will be purchase that's the end of it, whereas screenings can lead to later purchase and therefore greater lifetime value of a property.

This could've been the turning point, the end of the cinema, if this had been a massive explosion on day one streaming (especially when not available in the cinema) then this could've opened the way to start testing concurrent streaming before moving to just streaming but it's evident it doesn't bank as much, even a property who's marketing you couldn't buy - everyone knows of this film, evidently not everyone wants to see it.

Looks like the multiplexes won't be going anywhere soon.

Hero in a half shell:

But that's what combat jeans are for!

I've worked in movie theatres all my life and just so you all know you don't need to sneak any food in whatsoever. All you have to do is say that you have a dietary restriction (kosher/halal/buddhist/etc . . . make one up) then just bring in a Dominos Pizza or whatever you want. Or you can say you have some allergies - for instance a popcorn allergy which means that you can't consume any product there as they can't promise that you'll have any cross contamination. We have people who abuse this all the time and they just come in with KFC, Taco Bell, Bento Box, their own drinks, etc. There's one family who come in every month with a garbage bag full of home-made popcorn. And it's been the policy of every movie theatre I've been at that it's fine and allowable as who wants to risk a lawsuit. So basically next time just say you have dietary restrictions and happily outwardly bring in whatever you like full stop. This will work at sporting venues too - the only caveat being that of course no alcohol would be allowed in those circumstances. But forget hiding your food.

gonenow:

Deathfish15:

Depends

With minimum wage you get minimal care, So your average theater empoyee could not care less, unless someone complains about you opening a can of pop in the theater or something.
Theater owners on the outher hand, as they make almost nothing from tickets and food is minimum a 90% markup they care alot more.
If movie makers did not take a cut from each ticket here in the US, I doubt most theaters would care.

Imagine how much more they would have made if they had made it available to people outside the United States. I'd also love if there was a way to breakdown how many of the pirates are would-have-been buyers that Sony missed out because of this as well.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here