Move Over, Internet Explorer: New Browser to Ship with Windows 10

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Move Over, Internet Explorer: New Browser to Ship with Windows 10

Internet Explorer social

"Spartan" will be lean, support extensions. But Internet Explorer isn't going away.

When Windows 10 ships in 2015, a brand new Microsoft-built web browser is coming with it, according to a new report.

The project is currently called "Spartan," and Microsoft's new browser will be completely separate from the Internet Explorer family. In other words, this is not the IE 12 that some of you might be waiting for (be it to use, or to mock).

Rumors of Spartan have been around for a few weeks, ever since lead VLC developer Thomas Nigro said the new app would be the default browser in Windows 10. Along with being leaner, faster, and more flexible than Internet Explorer, Spartan will use two key pieces of Microsoft tech: Chakra (a JavaScript engine), and Trident (rendering engine). Spartan will also support extensions, adding to its new-found flexibility.

If the rumors are true, Spartan could be the viable Chrome, Firefox competitor that Microsoft has been after for years. While Microsoft still maintains a strong market share in the web browser space, the figures are largely tied to auto-installs of Internet Explorer in its Windows operating system. Spartan could be the first Microsoft web browser that Windows users see as a worthwhile option, rather than a rarely-used, pre-installed application.

Spartan could also tie into Microsoft's plans to monetize more of their home-grown Windows applications, but that won't be clearer until Spartan becomes officially official.

But don't count out Internet Explorer just yet. If Spartan does appear in Windows 10, IE 11 (and later, version 12) will be right there with it. The two will co-exist until Microsoft discontinues one or the other (the latter, assuming Spartan takes off with users).

Source: ZDNet
Teaser Image Credit: 2Slick

Devin Connors:
Spartan could also tie into Microsoft's plans to monetize more of their home-grown Windows applications, but that won't be clearer until Spartan becomes officially official.

That seems like the most likely scenario. They probably wouldn't sink all that money into developing a new browser unless they had a plan to make it profitable. If they're going to try to sell add-ons while Chrome and Firefox keep them free, then I don't see them gaining much ground in this race.

Spartan and Cortana. Well played Microsoft.

Until they stop supporting Win 7, I'm still pretty happy with it and I don't feel the need to change my OS yet.

SupahGamuh:

Until they stop supporting Win 7, I'm still pretty happy with it and I don't feel the need to change my OS.

They should just rename the OS "Windows:Reach" and Office Suite as "Microsoft:Covenant" and be done with it

Trident is the name of the current MSIE layout engine so if they're using the name, it will likely still be a further development of MSIE rather than something new completely.

SupahGamuh:

Until they stop supporting Win 7, I'm still pretty happy with it and I don't feel the need to change my OS yet.

I bet you the new browser is going to have major Cortana integration, hence the reason for calling it Spartan (at least for now).

This makes sense, Internet Explorer is a great browser that nobody uses because of negative associations with the brand. So change the brand.

Unfortunately it still won't be called "Google Chrome" so I doubt it'll convince most people to try it, but least people won't be able to assume nothing has changed and dismiss it as that crappy browser from 2008 anymore.

I was going to say that I'll probably give this a go when it comes out, but then I realized that it will probably require Windows 8.1 at minimum, because they're under the delusion that it could possibly convince people to upgrade.

My browsing experience peaked somewhere around the Firefox 4 beta, frankly. All-in-one menu in the top left, dedicated tab row, dedicated search bar, ability to un-close tabs and restore previous sessions manually, no status bar, hovered-over links pop up URLs in the address bar instead of at the bottom... if I had the time and skill, I'd have developed my own browser by now. Maybe one that's based on Chromium but has all the above features, because I can't deny that Firefox is unstable as hell at this point, but Explorer 9+ has always felt as clumsily designed as Windows 8.x from an interface point of view.

I am interested in what framework Spartan is developed upon so I we can see if it is vulnerable to hell like Internet Explorer was or will it be far more secure in vein like Firefox and Chrome will be.

THIS. IS. SPARTAN!

*cricket chirps*

Yeah, that was lame, I know.

Anyway, an interesting idea. Will Spartan also be available for earlier Windows versions?

Olas:
This makes sense, Internet Explorer is a great browser that nobody uses because of negative associations with the brand. So change the brand.

Unfortunately it still won't be called "Google Chrome" so I doubt it'll convince most people to try it, but least people won't be able to assume nothing has changed and dismiss it as that crappy browser from 2008 anymore.

I don't know why you're so bothered by the fact that a lot of people have a different opinion to you. Just because you like it doesn't mean no-one has a valid reason for disliking it. Besides IE is still the most used browser, "most people" wouldn't give a toss about this browser or that, heck "most people" just browse on their phones these days anyway.

Oh, dear. Spartan. Well.

We'll see. I don't mind Explorer because it's Microsoft, strictly. I just think it's a poor browser. If Kiddyfiddler Spartan ends up being better, I'll give it a chance. If nothing else, it'll give Trojan the golden opportunity to get into the anti-virus business.

Yeah... And every web designer in the world just rolled their eyes and went 'Oh great another crappy non-0standard ms browser that I have to write exceptions for'

Still...unless it beams chocolate pies directly into my mouth... I have no reason. HEck FIrefox handles just about everything I need. The fact that it's engine upgrades are independent of the OS unlike some browsers makes it a very strong horse.

So they'll re-release all of the Halo games on PC.

Otherwise, they'd be shoving references to their shooter series onto platforms they've artificially locked it away from.

[/sarcasm]

Why these Halo references? Most PC users wont even get it. I'll probably ignore the browser since Chrome works fince with 20 tabs open at the moment and it just has everything i want from a browser, i don't see how MS could attract customers with it, since people wont switch even if it was 1ms or something faster and i lack the imagination to come up with any amazing features for it, unless they think that Cortana will attracting people..

This is the browser all of us will be using in the future to download chrome or firefox.

Is the windows department being managed by the xbox department. What is going on here. I'm currently trying to learning Linux because I don't like where M$ is going. Hey Microsoft "if it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT" why can't you just make the new Windows the same as 7 but with extra stuff that's all you need do.

BigTuk:
Yeah... And every web designer in the world just rolled their eyes and went 'Oh great another crappy non-0standard ms browser that I have to write exceptions for'

Still...unless it beams chocolate pies directly into my mouth... I have no reason. HEck FIrefox handles just about everything I need. The fact that it's engine upgrades are independent of the OS unlike some browsers makes it a very strong horse.

That last part is key. My biggest gripe about Microsoft's first party software is that they often artificially tie it to OS versions in order to force upgrades on people. They do it with DirectX, they do it with their games, and I wouldn't be surprised if they do it with Spartan. If I have a viable competitor that doesn't demand that I use a specific OS version(and I do), why should I bother with this, regardless of its other qualities?

My biggest question. Honest here guys.

Otherwise that means they're going to have to come up with a new character and the Windows Manga fans are going to be upset.

I still remember a book on game programming I have (written ages ago, but still), where the author apparently made a game that would be published by microsoft...

They had internet browsing functions of some kind built into it based on the Internet Explorer API in windows...

When micrsoft reviewed the game during development, they told them to remove the IE code, and gave them a completely seperate HTML renderer to use that was entirely independent of the IE codebase...

Just shows how aware microsoft was of IE's bad reputation that they wouldn't even let their own game developers use it...

Omey:

SupahGamuh:

Until they stop supporting Win 7, I'm still pretty happy with it and I don't feel the need to change my OS.

They should just rename the OS "Windows:Reach" and Office Suite as "Microsoft:Covenant" and be done with it

You know, talk like that makes me want to get something from Apple.

But Microsoft already did a Project Spartan. That's what they called Age of Empires: Online during development, or are MS trying to forget AoE:O, too?

Scars Unseen:

BigTuk:

That last part is key. My biggest gripe about Microsoft's first party software is that they often artificially tie it to OS versions in order to force upgrades on people. They do it with DirectX, they do it with their games, and I wouldn't be surprised if they do it with Spartan. If I have a viable competitor that doesn't demand that I use a specific OS version(and I do), why should I bother with this, regardless of its other qualities?

Why do you think game developers have been slowly moving away from DirectX....heck even games made today can get away with just directX 9 or 10...OGL is fast becoming the rendering standard especially since it's easily cross-platform and has native hardware support now. Same for Open Audio.

It's sort of the joke. The more MS tries to lock people in the more people drift away from them. I mean anyone who knows PC's knows not to bloody well use IE. The only reason it has any market share is because it is preinstalled as the default webbrowser by OEM's and most people don't bother to ever change it figuring all browsers are the same.

This could prove amusing... My first thought was in regards to the Spartans from Ancient Greece...

I am struck with a sudden suspicion... With the claim that this 'new' browser will support extensions, how much will they charge so the browser will actually work? I get the air of EA's old marketing strategy guys, and it concerns me, deeply.

Redlin5:

Otherwise that means they're going to have to come up with a new character and the Windows Manga fans are going to be upset.

Nanami / 7 was the first "official" Windows character, all the previous Windows whatever-tans were fan made. So don't worry, someone on futaba will get around to it even if MS decides to abandon the crucial manga-personifications-of-random-software market.

As a web developer this could be either really good for me or really bad....

If it behaves like ff or Chrome in terms of web standards I'm happy, IE is the stuff of nightmares to develop for, I routinely have to troubleshoot IE specific issues every week.

Redlin5:

Internet Explorer is my waifu.

\u/

So Kawai!

I only hope that it's good.

"When Windows 10 ships in 2015"

New Year optimism. So refreshing.

Olas:

IE is not a great browser. its been catching up very quickly lately, yes, and it has nice developing tools, but in terns of protocol support its still behind both chrome and firefox. That and addons means there is still no reason to use IE for normal use.

Chrome has been getting worse recently though. it memory leaks like hell.

BigTuk:

Why do you think game developers have been slowly moving away from DirectX....heck even games made today can get away with just directX 9 or 10...OGL is fast becoming the rendering standard especially since it's easily cross-platform and has native hardware support now. Same for Open Audio.

DirectX9 is dieng a slow, painful and well deserved death. its extremely outdated now and im very glad very few big developers still support it. it needs to go away. its extremely limited because it was built in with backward support for all old DirectXes, something that DX10 does not have to worry about.

As far as developers going to OGL, i dont see it. i still see all major games going with DirectX. not to mention that OGL isnt OGL that it was in the 2008. it failed to keep up with the times.

Alexander Kirby:

Olas:

I don't know why you're so bothered by the fact that a lot of people have a different opinion to you. Just because you like it doesn't mean no-one has a valid reason for disliking it.

I'm not bothered by people who have a different opinion to mine, just people who criticize something they're ignorant about because it's cool to rag on. Anyone who has legitimate issues with IE is fine.

Besides IE is still the most used browser, "most people" wouldn't give a toss about this browser or that, heck "most people" just browse on their phones these days anyway.

Actually Chrome is the most used browser by a fairly significant margin, and I'd be willing to bet if you did a poll of this site less than 10% would report to using IE. Which again is fine, I'm not going to bash people over choice of browser. Use Netscape for all I care. I just feel like defending a browser that gets so much ridicule AFTER it's been fixed that it's company feels the need to create a new brand to "replace" it.

Strazdas:

BigTuk:

DirectX9 is dieng a slow, painful and well deserved death. its extremely outdated now and im very glad very few big developers still support it. it needs to go away. its extremely limited because it was built in with backward support for all old DirectXes, something that DX10 does not have to worry about.

As far as developers going to OGL, i dont see it. i still see all major games going with DirectX. not to mention that OGL isnt OGL that it was in the 2008. it failed to keep up with the times.

Check the default settings for your vieo games sometime. PC wise. You'll actually find OGL is the default rendering engine. I'm not saying they'v abandoned DX buuut they are slowly drifting towards any cross platform solution. Thing about OGL whil it may not be super effecient it does produuce better visual quality and it is crossplatform.

It means devs can more easily port a game between MAc, Linux and windows and Ps4. Hence why these open solution are growing in popularity

Olas:
Actually Chrome is the most used browser by a fairly significant margin, and I'd be willing to bet if you did a poll of this site less than 10% would report to using IE.

Yes, because this site is where the gamers and computer savvy congregate, same with if you check out the stats that Steam has collected. However in businesses, schools, and for the majority of PC owners that couldn't tell you the difference between a USB and Ethernet cable, Internet Explorer is used. The statistics saying that Chrome is more used than IE always come from surveys combining mobile and PC use. Thanks to the mobile market Chrome and Safari are the most popular browsers, but I wasn't talking about the mobile ones since they're barely recognizable as the PC counterparts and are much more limited in terms of features. Debating the most used mobile browsers just comes down to what the most used phones are.

Asclepion:

Otherwise, they'd be shoving references to their shooter series onto platforms they've artificially locked it away from.

To be honest I was a little surprised that a port/re-port for the entire set wasn't announced with the anniversary edition, it would have made a lot of sense for Microsoft's brand exercise since currently they've got a good chunk of their WP userbase using Cortana, an exercise in branding that most of them won't even recognise.

Evil Smurf:

Redlin5:

Internet Explorer is my waifu.

\u/

So Kawai!

I only hope that it's good.

...And what a tasteful buttshot!

Asclepion:

[/sarcasm]

Gonna be honest: quoting you mainly because I wanted that face to complement things. It does, remarkably well. Thanks for that!

Actually, I think they should also stick a Covenant reference in there to deviously underline how insidious and binding their agreements are...because "Dark Mark" is too obvious and, cool as it sounds, I wouldn't go for something like "Death Eater" OS.

kasperbbs:
Why these Halo references?

I'm fairly certain they're talking about the modern use of the word spartan as this:

Along with being leaner, faster, and more flexible than Internet Explorer[..]

would seem to fall in line with...

Spartan
Marked by simplicity, frugality, or avoidance of luxury and comfort.

this.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or