Neill Blomkamp was Secretly Working on an Alien Sequel

Neill Blomkamp was Secretly Working on an Alien Sequel

Neil Blomkamp Alien Concept Art 1 310x 2

Ripley trades in her power loader for a Space Jockey exosuit.

Happy new year, indeed!

Shortly after 2015 kicked off, District 9 director Neill Blomkamp took to his Instagram account to show off some interesting new concept art. The unofficial project, now seemingly shelved or cancelled? An Alien film, set shortly after Jim Cameron's Aliens.

Alien Xeno, or Alien 5 as it's being called online, would definitely be playing with some timeline trickery (if it ever saw the darkness of a movie theater). Key in the concept art are Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) and Corporal Hicks (Michael Biehn), the latter of whom is (spoiler alert) definitely dead, while the former still exists as a part-Xenomorph clone.

But Blomkamp's project would take a Terminator-style machete to the timeline, and seemingly create a new storyline that takes place right after Aliens. And while I've always felt that Alien 3 was vastly underrated, I wouldn't mind seeing one last Ripley-Hicks buddy cop team-up at its expense.

But back to the concept art. Everything you need in an Alien film is here, including an Engineer ship, the Weyand-Yutani Corporation, and a Queen Xenomorph. One clip shows Ripley suited up in some sort of Space Jockey/Engineer-Xenomorph cross-breed flight suit, and another shows how messed up (and bad-ass) Hicks is after being splattered with Xenomorph acid blood.

It doesn't appear that this is or was any sort of official project under the guise of 21st Century Fox. Blomkamp said (through an unverified Twitter account) that "[Fox] didn't really even know I was working on it," and also said he doesn't think he'll be investing much time in the project anymore. The unofficial nature of the project, and Blomkamp's perceived disinterest are both saddened, as the concept art paints part of a picture many of us want to see: An Alien film that focuses heavily on Weyland-Yutani.

Source: Neill Blomkamp (Instagram)

I REALLY want this. Why can't this be a thing? W/Yu dismantling an Engineer ship, come on! The movie practically writes itself!

With that Master Chief head and those set designs I guess Halo was still around his head back then.

*sigh*

At least Chappie looks good, and District 9 is still great.

If this got shelved because of Prometheus...Hollywood did a "At The Mountains of Madness by Guillermo Del Toro" again :/

Instead, all we got was Prometheus. As if people needed another reason to be angry at that movie

I dunno, after the substance devoid pure fanservice clusterfuck that is prometheus, I'd rather see something original that is great on its own merits and not restricted due to being part of a franchise -like district 9- than alien resurrection - the sequel.

Heh, that "new" alien egg design... Originally the xenomorph eggs would have a slit instead of a cross exit, but because it obviously looked like a vagina they changed it. Would have been interesting to see this project actually make it. It's not like the Alien franchise can get any worse at this point, and Michael Biehn deserves more than just voice-acting in video games.

Agh, this sucks if it is shelved for good. I always hated how they killed off Newt and Hicks within the first 45 seconds of Alien 3, then shoved Ripley into a isolated prison full of quasi-religious sex offenders. While the movie is watchable, the tone shift was way too much for the series. (Didn't we get enough of a pervy vibe from H. R. Giger's super pals?) The script just seems like one of those weird character studies too unfocused to finance that was left on the floor until the studio decided they wanted a quick Alien sequel and could shoehorn Ripley in if they spent tons of the budget on getting Sigourney Weaver to sign on.

Blomkamp probably could breathe new life into the series. It might be a little late to just pick up where Aliens left off, seeing as the actors have aged almost 3 decades, but a decent writer (if their script isn't torn apart by incompetent rewrites) could come up with something like a call back to the action years later to deal with that. Or, they could get younger actors. Replacing key suporting actors between Iron Man and Batman Begins and their sequels didn't cause a massive backlash. Doing it to mains character for a sequel made 30 years later shouldn't be a problem (as long as the casting is done right).

Sigmund Av Volsung:

If this got shelved because of Prometheus...Hollywood did a "At The Mountains of Madness by Guillermo Del Toro" again :/

Even worse is the fact Prometheus's existence killed that project, too. I only hope a good movie about to be made isn't shelved because Prometheus 2 rehashes good ideas that movie also had (and then tramples on them with poorly written characters). (I also hope Ridley Scott jumps out of his slump and throws out crap scripts he keeps getting.)

Where exactly would one cram another Alien sequel in the already overextended series? I guess really the problem really comes from the assumption Ellen Ripley will be in it, remove her and you open all sorts of possibilities.

Perhaps it could even have a male lead?

Just kidding.

josemlopes:
With that Master Chief head and those set designs I guess Halo was still around his head back then.

Given how heavily Halo's Aesthetic leans on Aliens, it wouldn't surprise me if he dug out the models of projects past to help with this one.

Hairless Mammoth:
I also hope Ridley Scott jumps out of his slump and throws out crap scripts he keeps getting.

Ridley Scott does not give a fuck anymore. Noone who gives a fuck would greenlight the script of Prometheus. He is a tired old man who occasionally jerks off on a camera reel, then looks at it and mumbles "Still got it". He's gone.

Carnagath:

Hairless Mammoth:
I also hope Ridley Scott jumps out of his slump and throws out crap scripts he keeps getting.

Ridley Scott does not give a fuck anymore. Noone who gives a fuck would greenlight the script of Prometheus. He is a tired old man who occasionally jerks off on a camera reel, then looks at it and mumbles "Still got it". He's gone.

Indeed. He either really has ran out of fucks to give or is delusional. I'm glad I didn't pay to see Prometheus (employee benefits, whoo) and won't be lining up for the second even if it gets great reviews.

If only Hollywood wasn't filled with people of Scott's mindset, we wouldn't be wishing there was a good third Alien movie, the majority of basic movies wouldn't be censored or watered down to appeal specifically towards the growing east Asia market, and Blomkamp would probably be too busy to even work on some concepts for the franchise.

Everyone keeps mentioning this thing called Alien 3. I'm not sure what they're talking about - the franchise ended at the conclusion of Aliens, with Ripley, Hicks and Newt heading happily off into the sunset...

A sequel would be awesome, and the fact that Ripley is wearing a suicide vest in one of those pieces raises all sorts of interesting questions. I'd also like to see more of Weyland-Yutani - the impression I got (from Alien and Aliens) is that it's not the whole company that's corrupt, just some power hungry members of the board. (Burke almost seems to be acting alone in Aliens.) Otherwise, they really should be far more competent...

Why bring back Hicks though?

Ripley & Vasquez for a totally badass all female lineup!

Hicks was awesome, would totally love to see more of him. I've always been of the opinion that Aliens 3 and Resurrection were his nightmares on the way back to Earth while in hypersleep. Think about it -- the first thing that happens in them is that *he dies*, and then he has to watch really horrible things happen to the woman he loves, while completely unable to defend her. Sounds like a soldier's worst nightmare to me. Plus, let's be honest, Resurrection only remotely makes sense as a guy's fever dream.

No reason to trade out for younger actors. You could set the proper Aliens sequel decades in the future, and an older Ripley and Hicks get caught up in xenomorph drama again. So long as it's a fresh approach to the plot, I don't see a problem with reusing leads. In fact, I think the timeskip could provide lots of good material to make the series feel fresh. There could well be themes like aging, dealing with old scars, feeling obsolete/disposable, and working to make sure the world is safe for future generations. Think something like Wrath of Khan but done Aliens style.

Carnagath:

Hairless Mammoth:

Honestly, aside from a small handful of exceptions, none of the scripts of Ridley Scott's movies were all that good. The man can direct quite well, but he's rarely done a script that was really worth it. I think it actually says something that his abilities as a director have frequently carried otherwise lackluster screenplays.

I love Sigourney Weaver. But for all that they're trying to pull off with CG these days, 65 is a little long in the tooth to be running down dark hallways from monsters and explosions.

(That goes for you, too, Stallone, Schwarzenegger, and Ford...)

Meh, I love Neil Blomkamp's films. He is like the modern day Paul Verhoeven (the director of awesome violent sci-fi films such as Robocop, Total Rekall and Starship Troopers...the good ones) but I thought Aliens wasn't as good as the original because it was more of an action movie than a horror.

So if he were to direct an Alien film it would be an action film for sure. I would rather him leave the Alien films alone and focus more on original sci-fi ideas. Looking forward to Chappie!

So what you're telling me is, we could have had an Alien film that:

A) May have featured time travel, to some degree.
B) Had the triumphant return of the Ripley/Hicks war-buddy dynamic, the alien queen, proper Weyland-Yutani involvement, the Space Jockey's ship, AND the dark horror tone the series was known for.
C) Was heavy in tense horror scenes that wouldn't skimp on the gore as well as fantastically orchestrated action scenes.
D) Retconned every last bit of bullshit from Aliens 3 onward.

Yet, what we ACTUALLY got was Prometheus?

I just.....I need to go lie down.

Excuse me while go shed a few man tears.

wow well this would have been interesting as fuck. Not sure who they would pull it off, thou i do like the idea of a movie inbetween alien 3 and i also think it better then everyone claims it to be considering the assholes at FOX put out a trailer for it b4 they even had a script.

such a shame.

The potential is there, and it looks fascinating, but I keep remembering all the preamble leading up to Prometheus and thinking, "people thought the same about that until it actually arrived." And I a very forgiving of Prometheus, even though I want to club that writer who messed it all up (the guy from Lost, what was his name?)

Problems I see:

1. possibly introducing time travel into the script, even more egregious than the crap Alien: Resurrection introduced
2. no way to get original actors (or risk seeing a Terminator 3 effect with Ripley if they tried), and creates a continuity mess-up with Alien 3, which while not necessarily a bad thing, no matter how they do it this would feel...weird. Read some (or most) of the attempted Alien tie-in novels for examples of how badly this goes.
3. New actors would have to come in, and they would inevitably be held up to the standards and styles of their forebears (see Star Trek for an example of how this can go)

Nope, I am in agreement that for this to work it needs to NOT be about Ripley and Hicks, not negate Alien 3 or introduce time travel, not tread over ground that is already well trod, and definitely try to be its own new take on the franchise, spinning off without wallowing in the nostalgia of what came before.

EDIT: after poking around, looking at Intagram, reading Polygon, and realizing that the "unverified twitter account" no longer exists, I am wondering is this is a bit of high quality journalism at work here, making me wonder if any of the suggested storyline content would be right. For example: the Ripley in the images looks older to me, like a contemporary Ripley and not a Sigorney Weaver circa 1990. Without assuming anything about the images (and reminding myself that...for better or worse, and possibly in connection to this corporal Hicks was technically brought back alive and in-canon through Aliens: Colonial Marines) that this could have been a tale which took place later on, did not involve time travel, and may not even have required retconning Alien 3.

Shame, I loved the Assembly Cut of Aliens 3, would have been the perfect end to Ripley's tale. It was both a solid film and did a lot to flesh out the universe. But Aliens Resurection was terrible and I'll be happy to forget it ever happened.

persephone:
Hicks was awesome, would totally love to see more of him. I've always been of the opinion that Aliens 3 and Resurrection were his nightmares on the way back to Earth while in hypersleep. Think about it -- the first thing that happens in them is that *he dies*, and then he has to watch really horrible things happen to the woman he loves, while completely unable to defend her. Sounds like a soldier's worst nightmare to me. Plus, let's be honest, Resurrection only remotely makes sense as a guy's fever dream.

That's the best light you could shine on the post-Aliens movies. Interestingly enough my thought, of Metroid: Other M is the entirety of that game was a hyperspace nightmare Samus had after really living out the events of Fusion (research spacecraft, feeling helpless against a powerful foe, Adam Malkovich). These two franchises have so many similarities that it's astounding.

Aiddon:
Instead, all we got was Prometheus. As if people needed another reason to be angry at that movie

The great irony is, if this film got made and it bombed, everyone would be bemoaning the Ridley Scott Alien project that never saw the light of day. The original creator of Alien doing a spiritual sequel to one of his best films? What could go wrong?

Olas:
Where exactly would one cram another Alien sequel in the already overextended series? I guess really the problem really comes from the assumption Ellen Ripley will be in it, remove her and you open all sorts of possibilities.

My thoughts exactly.
I actually hate the premise of this film. Time travel and alternate universes leaves a bad taste in my mouth (New Terminator film anyone?)
Why must we have Ripley? She's died in Alien 3 and her story should have ended at that. She doesn't need to exist for the franchise to continue. We just need good scripts.

Li Mu:

Olas:

My thoughts exactly.
I actually hate the premise of this film. Time travel and alternate universes leaves a bad taste in my mouth (New Terminator film anyone?)
Why must we have Ripley? She's died in Alien 3 and her story should have ended at that. She doesn't need to exist for the franchise to continue. We just need good scripts.

If this movie had been made I would hope they would have simply ignored 3 and resurrection and not try to explane it with BS time travel. But newt would still have to die as I see no way to inculde her without recasting her.

This should be made into an "Alien: Isolation" style game

Glad it got canceled. I don't want Blomkamp wasting himself on the Alien franchise, bullshit, nostalgia, and all. I'm all for horror fans getting their due, but Blomkamp would be wasted on a sequel, his movies are always so unique and socially interesting. What's he gonna do with Alien? Criticism of human imperialism into alien-inhabited worlds? No, that'd be awful. I'm excited for Chappie and beyond for him.

so glad this didnt happen

i don't want more alien films .. perfectly happy with trilogy .. yes alien 3 the Assembly cut is a perfect ending to the series story

i don't want more ...

Oh no, now an entirely unnecessary and unwanted movie isn't going to be made...aaah the humanity. He said like Bishop from Aliens.

LOL at all the people in here bashing Alien 3. Alien 3 isn't perfect, but an argument can be made that it's held up better than the 80s gung-ho cliched action flick that is Aliens. Don't get me wrong, I love Aliens, but it really is cheesy as hell at times. Alien 3 is a very dark movie, but it put the series back more in line with Scott's original vision. I thought the ending was beautiful, and the only way it could end really. Thematically the movie was very powerful. Watch the assembly cut, it's a flawed masterpiece.

Honestly, its time to put the Alien franchise to bed. What started off as a fantastic horror movie, got downgraded to an (admittedly excellent) action movie, then a confused mess and finally a 'fuck it, i dont know what to even call this' piece of crap. And that not even mentioning Prometheus...

Enough is enough

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here