Florida Home Owners Demand Removal of TARDIS

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Florida Home Owners Demand Removal of TARDIS

TARDIS

So THIS, apparently, is where Florida decides to draw the line

The Doctor's faithful conveyance, The TARDIS, has carried its faithful occupant through battles with nemeses as varied and alarming as The Daleks, The Cybermen and even his fellow Time Lords. But now, they seem poised to face their most alarming foe yet: Floridians.

The Lexington Home Owners Association of Tampa Florida has levied a notice of violation against a resident couple. Their transgression? Having placed a life-sized replica of The TARDIS from Doctor Who in the driveway of their home (it had previous been a plot in their Doctor-themed wedding.) In a letter to the couple (which they in turn posted to The Prop Replica Forum), the Lexington HOA ominously describes the "blue call box" as being "in violation of The Governing Documents" and gives the couple a 15 day ultimatum by which to remove the space/time-travel vehicle.

The couple in question, for their part, seem to be taking the conflict in stride, posting to Facebook that:

"I'm slightly amused by this....I maintain this is a mode of transportation, therefore I have every right to park it in my driveway."

Source: The Nerd Bastards

Truly worthy of the "my other car is a TARDIS" bumper sticker. They have my support.

Typical Florida, they just can't seem to make good decisions... Now to sit back and see what kind of fallout we get from this...

EDIT: Just for the record, I have nothing against Florida itself, I'm just amazed at all the stupid people that live there. I know not everyone in Florida is stupid, mind you... but I'm starting to think there's something in the water that causes folks to do really dumb things...

What the hell is wrong with people when their biggest concern is what other people put on their driveway.
Seriously, don't you have bloody life of your own?

We don't really have home-owners associations over here, but my understanding is that people who live in those sorts of communities do so on the understanding that they will maintain a certain look to their property, since this impacts the look of the neighbourhood.

As nice as I'm sure this couple finds their box, and as integral as it may have been to their wedding, it is quite probably in violation of the agreement they will have signed upon buying their house. Why not keep it inside, especially if it's really a memento of an important life event?

Ben Halstead:
We don't really have home-owners associations over here, but my understanding is that people who live in those sorts of communities do so on the understanding that they will maintain a certain look to their property, since this impacts the look of the neighbourhood.

As nice as I'm sure this couple finds their box, and as integral as it may have been to their wedding, it is quite probably in violation of the agreement they will have signed upon buying their house. Why not keep it inside, especially if it's really a memento of an important life event?

Because it's life sized. Not many places it would fit. The morons having whinge about this need to get over themselves. I only hope there wasn't some crappy stipulation about what they could have on their property.

Ben Halstead:

There is definitely no such stipulation against blue boxes in existence. This falls out of their venue, not that I expect anyone in authority to take it seriously. The couple that loves Doctor Who I hope loves for life.

OT: Oh, those wacky Floridians! What will they think of next?

Ranorak:
What the hell is wrong with people when their biggest concern is what other people put on their driveway.

Clearly you have never interacted with a homeowner's association before. This is literally all they do all day every day; tell people what they can and cannot do on their property.

Well of course they don't like it: first, it's basically a mobile home in the middle of a posh neighborhood, second, the bigger on the inside thing is bound crash real estate's value, third, there are suspicions of its space-hobo owner having had a transgendered girlfriend in the past: who will think of the Chiiiiiildren

Ranorak:

The more you payed for your house, the more you worry what neighbors will do to theirs that might impair the value of your house.
Also if the owners association allows this, they will have to allow other stuff to.
To them it's like parking your rusty pickup-truck wreck on the drive way, and you know that you are in a good neighborhood if you see those.

But why don't they put is in the garden?
Its easier to claim it's a tool shed than a vehicle, unless it goes to court and the judge turns out a huge whovian.

Home owners associations are ridiculous constructs and I do feel sorry for people that have one grow up around them, but if you buy a property governed by one then you do have to abide by its' rules.

Is having neighbours being uptight about what's in your driveway a common thing in America, or is it just Florida that has a bug up its arse?

Never, never, never move to a neighborhood with a homeowner's association. It might be set up to protect the property values there, but I'd say having a bunch of dictators controlling how you live is a bad compromise for that. You're better off finding an older neighborhood with trees, good distances, or privacy fences keeping the look of the houses separate, if your looking for that kind of insurance anyways. (Plus, you get to park your farm tractor, boat, and Delorean that needs some Mr. Fusion work done to it where ever you want and can hide those when it's time to sell the house.)

As far as the "considering it transport" joke goes, these HOA jackholes will gripe if you rent an RV and park it in you driveway for a day to pack up for the trip. Same thing with owning a boat, even a really nice new one. I think some HOAs gripe if you put it in the back yard.

"I'm slightly amused by this....I maintain this is a mode of transportation, therefore I have every right to park it in my driveway."

Best response ever! :D

I always just kinda thought that as long as it is on your property, it is of no real concern to anybody else. If that includes having a life-size TARDIS on your driveway, the so be it.

Unless it is offensive or dangerous, then sure, go for it, complain away.

ForumSafari:
Home owners associations are ridiculous constructs and I do feel sorry for people that have one grow up around them, but if you buy a property governed by one then you do have to abide by its' rules.

how can one grow up around you without your consent? we had a notion to start one about 5 years ago up here and it was promptly squashed when two of us on the block said no.

ecoho:

how can one grow up around you without your consent? we had a notion to start one about 5 years ago up here and it was promptly squashed when two of us on the block said no.

If an association covers an area and expands to cover your area, from what I've heard they can't make you join if you own the land but they can apply informal pressure.

What they need to do is get Peter Capali round in his Dr Who get up and hide in the thing. When the HOA come round, he bursts out and goes full Malcolm tucker/12th doctor on them.

Is having neighbours being uptight about what's in your driveway a common thing in America, or is it just Florida that has a bug up its arse?

Yes

luvd1:
What they need to do is get Peter Capali round in his Dr Who get up and hide in the thing. When the HOA come round, he bursts out and goes full Malcolm tucker/12th doctor on them.

I would pay money to see that I truly would.

This is so dumb to be whining about thanks florida.

EssThree:

Absolutely. This is why so many in America prefer wide open spaces, and a good reason why public transport isn't really a thing in a lot of areas - so we can do whatever we want with our property without having our neighbor look over his picket fence and scoff when he sees our lawn is 1 inch too high from the ground. Seriously, people that run home owners associations are dicks and should be ashamed for the organization that they represent, but they don't, because they're dicks.

This is why I will never live in an association. In the unlikely event I have some item I really want on the front lawn the neighbors can't fine me for it.

The old people ones kinda make sense as you have your own house but pay dues for the things you can't do anymore like yard care, ect.

I think the tardis will lose as they most probably signed a contract with the house if it is in an HOA.

But is it in violation of The Shadow Proclamation? Because I suspect space law trumps it in this case.

Home Owner Associations can have sticks the side of a TARDIS shoved you know where. A family member needed to repaint their entire house because the color (that was approved) turned out to be darker then the HOA anticipated. Of course it caused a major war in that neighborhood for they started to bring to notice every little thing that was violating the "bylaws" that their neighbors were doing. I have also seen HOA contracts stating how long your grass must be and what variety of grass you must use for any repairs to your lawn.

Ranorak:

Blame the real estate market. The bottom line is that your property values are not just dictated by the condition of your property but the condition of other properties in the neighborhood. Appearances matter. What's more the higher the property values the wealthier the people who tend to buy the homes, and the more taxes for the town. Thus local governments tend to support neighborhoods in passing laws that limit what people can and cannot do on their own property. Disputes over decorations and props aren't all that rare. This is also how professional groundskeepers make their money oftentimes dividing areas up into "territories" since in some areas you might be legally obligated to have your grass mowed to a certain height, and keep any bushes, trees, or plants to a uniform configuration. It's also why through a lot of the country your actually legally required to pick up the poop when you walk your dog, even if the dog say poops on the sidewalk on in your own front yard.

The thing is that something like a TARDIS replica is large and noticeable and pretty much requires you to know Doctor Who to realize it's not an actual abandoned police box, or some kind of storage shed or whatever. What's more everyone pretty much has something they want to put in their yard but can't, so neighbors tend to police each other, not to mentin everyone being concerned about their property values.

Like it or not, you need to think in the long term. What happens to this thing in 5, 10, 15 years? Does it sit there and decay? Neightborhoods with these laws are trying to prevent long term degeneration of property values. We've all seen houses with say decaying swing sets in their front yard, maybe a rusted out car someone was going to fix, and the ground eroded into patches of grass, abandoned and decaying storage buildings the size of that Tardis are also an issue. It might not be fair but it effects everyone around, not just the property owner.

Now perhaps the laws should be re-written to prevent this kind of local regulation, putting possible long term effects ahead of the now, but as things stand now this isn't uncommon and applies through a lot of the country local government by local government which is why th Suburbs and such look so kempt and uniform (occasionally mocked "stepford wives" style for I as well). Rural and deep urban areas are less well regulated.

Does the TARDIS have a sticker on it that says "My Other TARDIS Is A Car"?

The thing about HOAs is that they often start with good intentions for protecting property values and the general "feel" of a neighborhood (do you really want to see a scale-model replica of Stonehenge made out of rusted refrigerators across the street from you?), but it's always just a matter of time before human nature and group-think kick in and they start trying to enforce their own aesthetics by fiat. Disputes about things like satellite dishes (which naturally HAVE to be placed in a certain direction) and even hanging flowerpots aren't unheard of.

Nixou:

Yes

Ordinarly I'd warn you of low-content posts, but hell if you didn't just encapsulate the entire problem in a word.

As inconsiderate as it is to complain about a TARDIS in your neighbor's driveway, it's at least equally inconsiderate to put one in your own driveway. That's ultimately the problem with this HOA issues. They really only deal with petty situations, and often, both sides of the argument are just about equally petty.

Personally, if someone said this to me"

I'd ask them to demonstrate that claim. If they couldn't, then it doesn't really belong parked in a driveway.

Association later drops complaint -- claim they have 'upgraded ' their belief on the matter.

ForumSafari:

ecoho:

If an association covers an area and expands to cover your area, from what I've heard they can't make you join if you own the land but they can apply informal pressure.

what do you mean by informal pressure?

I already have a deep disdain for HOAs thanks to a bit of fuss over our own townhouse a year ago.
My mother and I are leaving to go run some errands, when some lady is taking pictures of the house because she's from the HOA and some shitheel in our neighborhood complained about our house.
What she told us was that she was only going to take pictures of the front of the house, as she apparently can't legally go around the side and to the back or something.
So we finally got the list of their nitpicking and we had to replace the siding on the front of the house because the seams were showing, despite the fact that when you are going to our home, you can see about 7 other houses with seams showing on the siding.
A couple hundred bucks later and the siding is fixed, "Well, what about the side of the house?"... Bitch, you said NOTHING about the side of the house. In fact, you weren't clear at all about what had to be fixed, you just printed out a part of the code and highlighted shit.
So now we have to have call the guys again to replace the siding on the side, in winter.

Not to mention the 20 notices we've received about our grass, when there has been a house literally just down the street with grass 2x longer than ours. It's barely even ankle length and we'd get notices that our grass was too long.
God I miss being in a neighborhood not governed by the HOA.

Ranorak:

Apparently you've never had an HOA. The short answer is "no."

The long answer is that they're usually filled with old retirees and cat ladies who drive through the neighborhood in a golf cart, looking for obscure home owner violations. These people are typically self righteous loners, and their meetings are usually echo chambers, where they stroke each others egos. Seeing a giant British telephone booth in the driveway probably gave them a hernia.

And God FORBID you challenge them. They'll target you. A bunch of people tried to get the board members removed (they eventually succeeded). Suddenly they have members parked outside their houses at odd hours, people taking pictures of their property, and tons of fines coming in for "violations." They're like weird, parasitic little dictators.

I love how when people are being incredibly anal about something, their defense is always "but it's the rules!" as though that argument is supposed to show they aren't being anal.

I betting the "The Lexington Home Owners Association of Tampa Florida" are really darleks or anyone of the Doctor foes in disguise in a bid to get rid the Doctor TARDIS from ruining their plans.

Just looked online, HOA really can't do shit. Can't fine them, can't destroy it (well they can but not without legal retaliation.). Speaking of retaliation, they should by putting up weeping angel statues.

That whole American Dad episode "Roy Rodgers McFreely" encapsulated why HOA is never a good idea.

The Rogue Wolf:
do you really want to see a scale-model replica of Stonehenge made out of rusted refrigerators across the street from you?

Yes. In fact, I'd move to a neighborhood that allowed that since it shows the people living there are tolerant, resourceful, and artistic.

Shame HOAs ensure there are no neighborhoods like that.

OT: I've never understood how HOAs can get away with stuff like this. Isn't this crap against the last two parts in "Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness"?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here