Here's Your First Ant-Man Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Here's Your First Ant-Man Trailer

"Is it too late too change the name?"

Debuting first during the premiere of last night's Agent Carter miniseries, Marvel has now released the first trailer for Ant-Man; giving fans their first real look at what the unique new superhero adventure will look and feel like as ex-superhero scientist Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) recruits thief Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) to become the new Ant-Man.

While earlier marketing for the film played things for laughs - perhaps acknowledging the likelihood that mainstream audiences may react to the premise with "Are you joking?" - the trailer plays things mostly straight, with a serious (if small in scale compared to other Marvel productions) tone and matter-of-fact reveal for the hero's unusual size-changing and bug-conversing abilities.

The film is widely seen as the first real "troubled" production from Marvel studios. Originally planned as part of the studio's pre-Disney "Phase 1" plans, the feature was delayed multiple times to accommodate the schedule of writer/director Edgar Wright... only to see him leave the project mid-production in early 2014 over "creative differences." The final feature is being completed by new director Peyton Reed, with Anchorman writer/director Adam McKay having contributed to a revised post-Wright screenplay.

Source: Marvel Entertainment

A surprisingly uninspired thing. The camcorder clip of Ant-Man beating up those two guys at the end of a corridor in the test footage was more engaging to me. We'll see how it goes as more comes out, I guess.

Yeah, it's not the biggest grabber. The GotG trailers didn't grab me either though and the final film was a blast. The Thor sequel didn't quite click with me, but that aside I think Marvel have been consistently pretty damned good since the first Captain America[1]. That's five in a row. They're on a great streak so long as it doesn't break with this.

Edit: To clarify, while I've not been grabbed by the lapels I still think the film is going to turn out at least decent if not better. The missus and I will sure as hell be in the cinema come summer to give this a shot.

[1] Good but not as good before that, in my most humble of opinions.

It's "widely seen as the most troubled" because people like you keep pushing that story. I'd hazard that there are issues on the set of every Marvel film, and they've all been incredibly enjoyable. Let Edgar Wright go already...

As for the trailer, looked good to me. Following GotG and AoU, the films need to get back to a more human sized level, otherwise they'll be trapped into getting bigger and bigger until they're unwatchable. This looks like a great little flick to do that. Bravo.

Looks promising. Will likely watch.

I'm more optimistic than most people I think. Paul Rudd is a very likeable actor, that ant-riding looks strangely badass, and Marvel will have never really done anything bad. At worst it'll just be mediocre, but are we all forgetting The Incredible Hulk and Thor 2?

Just knowing that it isn't Hank Pym under the costume is enough of a start for me (yes, I keep disconnected from the movie news to avoid spoilers).

Still not expecting this one to be anything to amazing.

The production looks good, but that's almost a given at this point. They have a solid cast of lead actors. The quality of this film will really come down to the writing, and while Douglas' speech from the trailer sounds pretty good, that's only a single scene and can't speak for the rest of the film.

I'll wait for more trailers and some reviews of the actual film before I get excited over this one. Ant-man isn't among my favorite Avengers, so I'm more concerned with getting the film right than the character(s).

Verlander:
It's "widely seen as the most troubled" because people like you keep pushing that story. I'd hazard that there are issues on the set of every Marvel film, and they've all been incredibly enjoyable. Let Edgar Wright go already...

As for the trailer, looked good to me. Following GotG and AoU, the films need to get back to a more human sized level, otherwise they'll be trapped into getting bigger and bigger until they're unwatchable. This looks like a great little flick to do that. Bravo.

I second both of these sentiments.

Every tidbit about this movie that comes out gets followed with whining about Wright leaving. Many movies have production issues. It's not a death sentence for a film.

I like the smaller scope of this movie to contrast the recent larger ones. And based on the tone and the little bit of plot shown, I think the movie will be pretty good at worst. I'm thinking it'll end up in the middle of the pack as far my personal MCU ranking goes.

Verlander:
the films need to get back to a more human sized level, otherwise they'll be trapped into getting bigger and bigger until they're unwatchable. This looks like a great little flick to do that. Bravo.

Spaceman Spiff:

I like the smaller scope of this movie to contrast the recent larger ones.

...was that intentional?

OT: I want to see him riding a bee flying ant, if that isn't in the film, I will be slightly disappointed.
Also the costume, because of the mask and the red/black color scheme reminds me of Star Lord, I'm not sure if that's good or bad following GOTG so soon.

Yeah, not feeling this one. Though I'm not familiar with Ant-Man so maybe it's just right. But it looks like they're going for kind of an Iron-Man hook, except they're not really pulling it off. Ofcourse maybe this is just a bad trailer.

I think the worst thing this movie can do is take itself too seriously. People see the title "Ant-Man" and they don't immediately think of some big drama. He isn't exactly an A-list hero, and while I think his powers are cool it's not hard for some to not take them seriously. I feel as though this movie should be advertised more like Guardians of the Galaxy: a fun, colorful coffee-break between the "serious" Marvel movies, that nevertheless delivers impressively on characters, humor, and lore. Trying to build it up like the next Dark Knight doesn't help anyone.

Interesting. Looks to be a smaller scale (no pun intended) Iron Man story. (Technology themed hero has to protect his tech from evil business bad guy using same tech.)

If I had to venture a guess, this is probably going to fit in more with their Civil War storyline than it is the bigger Infinity War story.

I'd put good money on Ant-Man taking the Spider-Man role for that story arc as the only current in universe hero with a secret identity and a personal life to be ruined by its reveal.

I would've preferred an edgier new MCU character, by having about-to-be-slapped-around-by-Steve Ultimate's Hank Pym used instead. But, given the tone of the MCU, I can understand why they wouldn't want to make that potentially dark a film with that daft a name/concept. That's a balancing act even they probably couldn't ever pull off.

I've always liked Paul Rudd, so it seems Marvel's still nailing good casting, which I'd say is a major part of their success. Great suit design, too.

Lord Garnaat:
Trying to build it up like the next Dark Knight doesn't help anyone.

What about that trailer even suggests they're doing that? It ends with taking the piss out of itself over the very name, which feels like the exact opposite to Nolan's films.

Verlander:
Let Edgar Wright go already...

Kinda seconded. (or thirded at this point, or whathaveyou) While it was an interesting story - and man would I have wanted to see that film - who isn't directing it is less and less of an issue as that event receeds into the past.

OP-wise... not a knock my socks off trailer. Could be good, and as others have said they've done more with as little if not less, premise-wise.

This trailer has me pumped. Love that Scott has a family. Also him riding the ant, so iconic can't wait.

Eclipse Dragon:
OT: I want to see him riding a bee, if that isn't in the film, I will be slightly disappointed.

He's known for riding flying ants, so I'm going to guess it's not likely.

He could ride a wasp, but I'll bet that's unlikely as well in this movie.

That got to be the greatest response ever (heh).

Also Scott, would the alternative names to Ant-man would be any better like Giant Man (well ok that name only apply when Hank alter the formula to become a giant instead), Yellowjacket or Wasp (yes Hank did became Wasp in honor of his late wife)? Those were the other mantle that Hank took up as?

Also I think this superhero is a interesting one since he didn't start of as a norble or normal guy (I mean he is a thief right?).

jabrwock:

Eclipse Dragon:
OT: I want to see him riding a bee, if that isn't in the film, I will be slightly disappointed.

He's known for riding flying ants, so I'm going to guess it's not likely.

Just as good, well... almost. I was really just looking for any winged insect.
A wasp would be a smarter war mount than an ant but I guess "ant man" although praying mantis beats them all.

They certainly are setting up some kind of bizarre dark theme for a silly looking character.

"Heh"

Oh, look, the tone is flying away on an Ant.

Then again... Guardians had a trailer making the film seem like it would be great and that didn't happen so this could be good.

Darth Rosenberg:
I would've preferred an edgier new MCU character, by having about-to-be-slapped-around-by-Steve Ultimate's Hank Pym used instead. But, given the tone of the MCU, I can understand why they wouldn't want to make that potentially dark a film with that daft a name/concept. That's a balancing act even they probably couldn't ever pull off.

I've always liked Paul Rudd, so it seems Marvel's still nailing good casting, which I'd say is a major part of their success. Great suit design, too.

Lord Garnaat:
Trying to build it up like the next Dark Knight doesn't help anyone.

What about that trailer even suggests they're doing that? It ends with taking the piss out of itself over the very name, which feels like the exact opposite to Nolan's films.

Oh, I just meant a lot of dull, dark colors, a long speech about being a hero, etc. Aside from the joke at the end and the little "huh" from Rudd, it seemed like a fairly serious movie to me. Not saying that it will be, but it sort of feels like they could afford to be more humorous.

The most useless superhero in Marvel's line up. Seriously a movie about an Incredible Shrinking Man....I mean, "Ant-Man". That's so lame and completely irrelevant to the whole 'bigger universe out there' thing that they've been doing since Thore, Avengers, and others that keep bring in new worlds and new aliens to the table.

Deathfish15:
The most useless superhero in Marvel's line up. Seriously a movie about an Incredible Shrinking Man....I mean, "Ant-Man". That's so lame and completely irrelevant to the whole 'bigger universe out there' thing that they've been doing since Thore, Avengers, and others that keep bring in new worlds and new aliens to the table.

"Useless" meaning you don't know that he gains the proportionate strength of an ant. For reference, here's an ant:

They're introducing a new hero, new powers, new organizations, new villains... that's world-building. We'll get the same with Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel.

Or do you seriously think that Captain America: Civil War will introduce a whole new world and new alien species to the movie universe?

It's a different type of movie, with a different type of hero (an ex-con, divorced dad), with a different approach to hero legacy (Hank Pym as a legacy hero), with a different tone, different effects, different scale...

By all means, please show me the superhero movie that Ant-Man so clearly resembles.

This is sounding like one of those "Aquaman just talks to fish" posts.

I'm on board with this. Hopefully they will still have the more light-hearted tone from Edgar Wright's version in the finished movie. Also, enough with the Wright thing, we knew for months now that he split over "creative differences", whatever they were. btw, what were they? Did he not know or care that Ant-Man would be part of the shared MCU?

jabrwock:

ZING! Winner. Here is your internet.
This would clearly take the movie into a different viewer rating.

Lord Garnaat:
Oh, I just meant a lot of dull, dark colors, a long speech about being a hero, etc. Aside from the joke at the end and the little "huh" from Rudd, it seemed like a fairly serious movie to me. Not saying that it will be, but it sort of feels like they could afford to be more humorous.

The underlined surely reflects the post-Singer X-Men era of comicbook films, though.

Whilst Marvel's trailers have been fairly representative of the tone of each film, there's no real telling from this teaser how Ant-Man'll actually turn out. I don't envy them trying to bring the character to the screen, though; go too serious and it risks being absurd (even in the MCU), go too wacky and it becomes--- well, even more absurd... Ideally they need to find a balance, which is hopefully what the teaser suggests. Sure, there's the hero speech and the muted colour palette, but the whole thing [i]is[i] ultimately undercut by the final pisstake line, so you could say Marvel are still being very self-aware and mindful of that tonal tightrope.

Aside from that, I don't get why there's a 'this could be the first real mistep from Marvel Studios!' vibe going around. Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 were successful enough, but I still see both as absolute misfires. The Incredible Hulk barely counts as part of the MCU anymore - it's nothing but a black sheep tethered to the continuity by a few small scenes, or a relic from the pre-Iron Man era of comicbook films.

Age Of Ultron should mean Marvel can take any hit that an underperforming or critically cussed Ant-Man may provoke.

The bit in the trailer about second chances also felt rather self-aware, considering this movie was supposed to happen before Avengers 1...and feature the Ant-Man saying the line, not the Ant-Man needing to hear the line.

I'm betting the Giant-Man thing happens at some point in the movie, at least once: "even an ordinary man can become a giant" seems like it would fit the tone the trailer implies the movie is shooting for. Plus, then moviegoers might actually be a bit more impressed by Lang as a hero (even though the Ant-Man powerset is more unique in an MCU that already has Hulk and Thor for big, strong beaters) when it happens, because they'll be surprised by it ("wait, he can grow, too!?"). I dunno, I just have a feeling.

...honestly, though, I really just want Wasp to be an official part of the modern-day MCU. She was probably my favorite Avenger in the cartoons, and I'd like to see her have a similar role in the films. Even if this movie turns out to be great, a lack of Wasp when she was almost in Phase 1 five years ago (either in the earlier version of Ant-Man or just in Avengers) would be rather disappointing.

Eh, this trailer really didn't do anything for me. Nothing in it was all that interesting. Who knows though, maybe it'll end up being good.

Deathfish15:

He's not useless in any way, shape, or form. Read some comics and educate yourself son.

Looks boring. Liked the joke at the end though.

Yeah, not to interested in this. But to be fair I've thought almost all of the marvel ones have been decent to better and the only one I'm actually excited to see is GotG2. Still this is at the bottom of the pile of upcoming ones right under Thor.

Eclipse Dragon:

It might be because of the PG-13 rating.

Massively underwhelmed, just can't seem to get behind this movie.

Old Pym, I don't like this already.F

Heh, why not? You could propably do a lot of really cool martial arts stuff with changing sizes.
Riding on an insect for travel seems totally inefficient though, I mean that'd be like flying to dagobah in a short-range fighter oh wait.
And I hope it doesn't turn too melancholic like the trailer.

Also, do his powers come from his suit? It sounds like he's signing up for a finished concept, not inventing himself.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here