Cosmic Explorer Neil DeGrasse Tyson is Coming to Late Night

Cosmic Explorer Neil DeGrasse Tyson is Coming to Late Night

Neil DeGrasse Tyson Amazing 310x

Star Talk is going from podcast stardom to your late night television lineup.

Starting this Spring, everyone's favorite astrophysicist will be returning to television.

National Geographic announced yesterday that Neil DeGrasse Tyson will be getting a weekly late-night show on its airwaves. Star Talk, which takes its name from Tyson's much-followed podcast, will "bridge the intersection between pop culture and science," according to the network.

Premiering in April, Star Talk will be taped in front of a live studio audience at Tyson's New York City office, no less -- the Hayden Planetarium in the American Museum of National History. When Dr. Tyson isn't taping Cosmos, or debating the finer points of Gravity, he serves as the director of the aforementioned Planetarium.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson made his television hosting debut in 2014 on Cosmos, a Seth MacFarlane-produced throwback to the 1980's Carl Sagan show of the same name. While the reboot was only one season (although a second season could theoretically happen), Tyson's popularity and skill in front of the camera is hard to ignore.

Star Talk: The Podcast has been running since 2009, and the 51st episode was released earlier this week.

Source: The Wrap

This should be fun to watch not to mention insightful hopefully and reminds me of a vid I saw recently that had him in it that was making fun of Pluto and Sailor Moon.

Neil's greatest skill is the ability to reduce the complexity of cosmology to a point of utter meaninglessness.

National Geographic is running educational shows now?

I don't listen to Star Talk, but how much can there be to talk about?

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of shit out there, almost everything in the universe, but without going deep into technical science all you can really do is discuss about what stars are made of and how many there are and stuff. Can't be a regular series worth, surely.

Verlander:
I don't listen to Star Talk, but how much can there be to talk about?

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of shit out there, almost everything in the universe, but without going deep into technical science all you can really do is discuss about what stars are made of and how many there are and stuff. Can't be a regular series worth, surely.

It really depends on how many shows they are going to be doing I think. If its like a standard show for National Geographic it will only have about ten episodes a year which I am pretty sure there would be enough material appearing in the news for them to cover.

Good for him I guess, but I've been seeing Neil DeGrasse Tyson everywhere for the past year or so, and I feel like he might be getting a little overexposed. Surely he and Bill Nye can't be the only scientists in the world with decent communication skills.

NDT is a big enough name that he could fill a weekly talk show with ease. If they hit the right formula (pop culture, science, celebrity, cool visual demos/experiments) this show should be able to hold its own.

-Devin Connors

Dude killed it in Epic Rap Battles too.

Razorback0z:
Neil's greatest skill is the ability to reduce the complexity of cosmology to a point of utter meaninglessness.

I'll argue that any explanation is a better explanation than most people already have, myself admittedly included (at least when it comes to astronomy). People who are interested by Cosmos and its ilk are more likely to take the time to learn these things for themselves. IMO, anything that promotes positive interest in the sciences is good: the field gets vilified by certain groups far too often for my tastes.

To more or less parrot what Devin said, I'm hoping this show will invite on scientists (and perhaps scholars from other fields) of varying backgrounds in a traditional talkshow setting with a science-oriented focus. Even if the objective of the show ends up being to entertain instead of inform, it's important to give these people credit for the advances in various fields that they make.

It's kind of weird. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a really good talker. He knows how to get your mind to start thinking about things that you might have never thought about before, or not in the same way at least. He's an inspiring figure. But in a talk show it's not the host that does most of the talking. So I don't know if I should be happy or sad for this. Happy that it exist but sad that he won't do all the talking I guess. You should check out some of his speeches on YouTube. They're so good, a 3h lecture seems short and you're left with wanting more.

008Zulu:
National Geographic is running educational shows now?

Well, after the Discovery Channel "Eaten alive by a snake oh wait being eaten by a snake might actually be dangerous" thing, I guess the National Geographic decided to tap a different and unexplored market... Actually "educational" shows.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.