U.S. Central Command Twitter Account is Hacked, Taken Offline

U.S. Central Command Twitter Account is Hacked, Taken Offline

CENTCOM Hacked 310x

What if it was the WOPR finally acting on its plans to wipe out humankind.

The official Twitter account for U.S. Central Command was hacked earlier today, forcing the suspension of the account shortly thereafter.

@CENTCOM, which now shows up as a suspended user, represents the military organization that oversees U.S. combat actions in over 20 nations across the world.

The account was supposedly hacked by a group that claims connections to the Islamic State, as evidenced by this screencap. After the account was compromised, several documents were posted, allegedly due to a compromised Pentagon network. While Central Command has confirmed that its YouTube and Twitter accounts were compromised (and later suspended), no information on networks connected to the Pentagon has been made available.

"We can confirm that the U.S. Central Command Twitter and YouTube accounts were compromised earlier today," said a DoD official to the press. "We are taking appropriate measures to address the matter. I have no further information to provide at this time."

The documents tweeted out during the hack are semi-sensitive -- at least in the topics they cover. Maps of North Korea and China were tweeted out, as was unverified information related to retired U.S. military generals. The maps of China and North Korea are based on largely public information, and don't appear to be of a strategically viable nature.

Ironically enough, the hack occurred while President Obama was giving a speech at the Federal Trade Commission about privacy, and cybersecurity.

The Central Command website -- centcom.mil -- is still up and running.

Source, Image Credits: FoxtrotAlpha (on Jalopnik)

In b4 "Gamergate totally did it to nuke teh womans out of games!"

Seriously, though, CENTCOM is on Twitter? Let's all let this sink in for a moment, and reflect upon how farcical our lives have become with the "Social Media" boom.

If something is not done, Twitter will have won.

Oh well...its only a twitter account. Not any loss really.
I read somewhere that facebook is marginally more secure in that sense...is this true?

Why do they even have a Twitter? The only reason I can think of is to clarify whatever mistakes the sensationalist media tries to make in the efforts to be the first to report on something. I can see each individual branch of the military having one, seeing as the US Armed Forces are all filled with volunteers, and therefore recruiting is a big thing. But, this just proved that Tweeting addiction opens up backdoors those hackers love.

If this is to be believed they got to more stuff than just CENTCOM's Twitter and Youtube, because apparently they got to addresses of employees. Whether the stuff they got is legit is still up in the air, of course.

Cowabungaa:
If this is to be believed they got to more stuff than just CENTCOM's Twitter and Youtube, because apparently they got to addresses of employees. Whether the stuff they got is legit is still up in the air, of course.

Keep in mind in many cases that, even if this was true, this information can be obtained publically, and this could just be nothing more then shitty propaganda.

Either way, I imagine whichever intern is managing CENTCOM's twitter account is getting loads of heat now.

and nothing of value was lost....

Seriously though, I'm gonna hop on the band wagon and ask why do they have/need twitter and youtube accounts?

Tsaba:
I'm gonna hop on the band wagon and ask why do they have/need twitter and youtube accounts?

Because everyone that's anyone has those accounts. Or something. At the very least, it discredits immediately anyone who claims to be them on those sites if they have a presence.

In any case, I seriously doubt there was any information of value to take from those accounts.

Tsaba:
and nothing of value was lost....

Seriously though, I'm gonna hop on the band wagon and ask why do they have/need twitter and youtube accounts?

I'm sure they signed up for an account just so they could follow the twitter accounts of foreign militaries. Maybe retweet some stuff.

Well, it's Twitter and Youtube. That's like saying they broke into a Central Command outhouse or something.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here