Trailer: Unfriended is The First Social-Media Horror Movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Trailer: Unfriended is The First Social-Media Horror Movie

Revenge comes online in social-media shocker

We've seen entire movies shot on cellphones, made from camcorder footage and set in boxes, but Universal is taking contained storytelling to a new dimension with Unfriended; a horror film set entirely within the realm of social-media.

In the film, a popular teenager kills herself after her life is ruined by an embarrassing video posted to the internet. One year later, a group of the deceased's classmates find their group Skype chat interrupted by an unknown caller who uses various chat, file-sharing and social-media sites to torment them... and cannot be disconnected. They soon come to believe they are dealing with the ghost of dead girl, and that she intends to use supernatural means to force whoever posted the video to finally confess.

Originally shot in 2014 as Cybernatural, the film was produced by Timur Bekmambetov and was well-recieved on the festival circuit this past Summer. It is now targeting a mid-April release date in the U.S.

Source: MTV

I feel like it was a wasted opportunity to not use Knife Party's "Internet Friends" in the trailer.

Looks sortof interesting but the actual horror elements seems to just be the standart supernatural stuff, with the ghost forcing the people to hurt/kill themselves through supernatural means. I think it would have a bigger impact if they did it without all the supernatural stuff. That the bad guy is basically an anonymous hacker that just hacked their various cameras and stuff and leak videos to turn the various people against each other.

So... this is the new horror gimmick to make the genre more cheaper and shitter? F*** YOU HOLLYWOOD.

"I know, let's just film it all on Skype. How much is Skype Premium for conference calls?"

However, let me watch it first then I can decide whether it's a pile of dog shit or not. I miss when horror was good and film makers actually put effort into it.

This looks stupid. Really, really stupid.

This looks like a new Final Destination. Moronic, but probably fun to watch.

Yeah this is soo bad for many reasons like for one, would you literally stayed on Skype when there is a killer in your room and those people don't look like the sterotypical internet nerd.

I'm still waiting for an online chain mail sort of horror movie, how can they missed out on that???

Lol she's killing people because of a stupid video. That might be the stupidest reason to come back as a ghost ever. Especially since as a ghost, she could probably figure out who did it without killing anyone.

Daaaah Whoosh:
Lol she's killing people because of a stupid video. That might be the stupidest reason to come back as a ghost ever. Especially since as a ghost, she could probably figure out who did it without killing anyone.

Even better - apparently, that video has been uploaded to YouTube (in the film). Guess what you can't hide on YouTube? Who owns the account (or rather, which account uploaded the video). And I highly doubt any of those "protagonists" was smart enough to create a secondary account just for that video, it should be very easy to figure out, who uploaded the video simply by checking what other videos had been uploaded.

So this is what Timur's been doing instead of Dusk Watch? I need my Others fix, come on! And hey, MTV is advertising for all its silly reality shows that this movie could so easily be based off of, right after the trailer. How nice to see the real life inspiration.

InsaneFool:
I feel like it was a wasted opportunity to not use Knife Party's "Internet Friends" in the trailer.

Had forgotten about that song, relistening now - thanks!

In other news, the film looks poop.

PH3NOmenon:

That's what I thought! Though the premise is pretty scary in itself in that it could actually happen...

Nimcha:

PH3NOmenon:

That's what I thought! Though the premise is pretty scary in itself in that it could actually happen...

Until you remember that figuring out who uploaded such a video would only take about a week or two at worst, especially if the cops get involved (which, considering said video then would be relevant towards a suicide, is not unlikely to happen). Assuming they have to and the uploader wouldn't an idiot as I decribed above as possibility.

So, it's anything but likely to happen and hence not scary, just dumb.

Please tell me that this involves a murderer going around killings lots of annoying people on social media. Because that is a serial killer that I can get behind.

Well this is a thing. Though from the description I can already see a glaring problem with the entire movie. So they can't stop the Skype call, and the files just keep playing. From the various files it's somehow supposed to make them confess because of reasons. If it's freaking them out that much, I have a few suggestions. Either just leave the freaking room, or I'm pretty sure you are in a room that has window access, so just chuck the thing out the window. Problem solved, no more ghost torturing you with files of unseen Pewdipie videos or MLP fanfic or whatever it is.

Depending on how bad it is, I might have to watch it at some point just because. Then again, watching it means supporting the makers, and not sure if I want that to happen.

That was easily the funniest thing I've seen since Cyberbully.

Just the idea of the ghost killer being a Skype call you can't hang up on is goofy enough, but even worse, every time it started to sort of show a decent horror scene, thy play those fucking social media sound effects and it looks like a cartoon.

Honestly, I can't wait. This is going to be so much fun,

I'm suddenly reminded that for years, Hollywood has been threatening modern reimagining reboot of Videodrome.

I wonder if this was born from a rejected script or something.

The thought makes me want to vomit.

Did I just see a guy being attacked by a blender?

luvd1:
Did I just see a guy being attacked by a blender?

He was doing a live stream of "Will it Blend?"

Scrythe:
I'm suddenly reminded that for years, Hollywood has been threatening modern reimagining reboot of Videodrome.

I wonder if this was born from a rejected script or something.

The thought makes me want to vomit.

Still not a clue what that film was about, just remember alot of groovy stuff happening.

God, I hate it when not-skype uses skype sounds.
Just shows you how pavlovian technology can get.

Either way, doesn't it seem incredibly annoying to have the movie take place in a browser window?

Erm...Just watch Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror (christmas special from recently) for your social media horror/satire and forget you ever read this announcement of detritus. You'll be better off for it, trust me!

This takes the "found footage" style to new lows.

I honestly thought it was parody of something. What it would be, I couldn't say, but it had all the elements: kitsch scares, overreactive teenagers, guy screaming with his hand in a blender.

It seemed compelling until I saw that the bulk of the movie is in group video chat. I see teenagers liking it, but audiences who don't relate to the characters as being like themselves or people they know probably won't be interested.

Does it also seem odd that a being with apparently supernatural powers to control both technology (able to shut off the lights) and people (force them to put their hand in a blender or turn a gun on themselves) couldn't discern the guilty party without the collateral damage or theatrics?

Apparently people really hate / are too good for silly B grade horror at the escapist?

This looks like stupid fun. It doesnt have to stand up to your 'but in real life..' comments, its a B grade horror movie.

Supernatural theme aside, it reminds me of the webseries Buried. I mean that one is a bit more pointed with the kidnappings and the torture and the slow escalation of prank to psychopath, but the whole 'social media connects us, and thats not always a good thing' web cam horror angle.

This looks like it's going to be so fucking funny. Since the Final Destination franchise has gotten a bit stale, I think I'm ready for this pile of ridiculous merriment.

I'm trying to get my head around the premise. And no, not the "haunted Skype" thing, but why the hell someone would kill themselves over, well, that? Compared to the type of shit that floods the internet on a daily basis, that was pretty tame. She got drunk, said some embarrassing things, and passed out. Killing yourself because some schmucks left rude comments is just pathetic. The internet may never forget, but it has a rather short attention span.

I will say this though, in the genre of "RAAAH! Internet bad!", at least this doesn't look as awful as Smiley.

If you want something like that which doesn't suck, I recommend the episode "The Internet" of The Amazing World of Gumball.

Bindal:

Nimcha:

PH3NOmenon:

Until you remember that figuring out who uploaded such a video would only take about a week or two at worst, especially if the cops get involved (which, considering said video then would be relevant towards a suicide, is not unlikely to happen). Assuming they have to and the uploader wouldn't an idiot as I decribed above as possibility.

So, it's anything but likely to happen and hence not scary, just dumb.

Oh yeah, I just meant a girl killing herself over such a video.

I clicked on this thinking it was a comedy movie, imagine my surprise when I see them trying to play it straight.
Seriously, does anyone get frightened by this premise?

Konaerix:
I clicked on this thinking it was a comedy movie, imagine my surprise when I see them trying to play it straight.
Seriously, does anyone get frightened by this premise?

I think it's meant to be more of a revenge flick like Death Proof or I Spit On Your Grave.

I honestly got curious by this video.

I mean, the story is ridiculously predictable, the ghost is probably going to kill them off one at a time "And then there were none" style until we're down to the final couple, but a film set entirely in a video chat? That could be interesting, at least from a technical perspective.

Bah, whenever we get found footage type films I always end up thinking "just put the fucking camera down and run!"
This looks even worse because they seem to be either sitting perpetually at their computers just waiting for evil to come along and happen to them, or waving the device their chatting on around which they have for some reason decided to take with them when trying to find a murderer

InsaneFool:

But the "girl" in question wasn't blocked on Facebook... ;)

OT: So... It's an "original" take on a "unoriginal" setup? Meh... I'll watch this comedy a month or two after it comes out in the theaters out of sheer boredom, I guess...

In the film, a popular teenager kills herself after her life is ruined by an embarrassing video posted to the internet. <...> They soon come to believe they are dealing with the ghost of dead girl, and that she intends to use supernatural means to force whoever posted the video to finally confess.

wow, talk about overreaction. not only she wasnt sane enough to not kill herself adter somone, gasp, posted a video of her, but she was so insane as to haunt people afterwards.

Paradox SuXcess:

"I know, let's just film it all on Skype. How much is Skype Premium for conference calls?"

they made it free now actually, so the costs of making this is 0

I need to watch this so that other horror films I will watch afterwards will appear to be more awesome.
Hooraay to lowering standards

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or