New Fire Emblem Game Coming to 3DS

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New Fire Emblem Game Coming to 3DS

The team that made Fire Emblem: Awakening is working on the next title in the series.

Nintendo announced in this morning's Nintendo Direct the next Fire Emblem game will be on the 3DS family of systems. The Fire Emblem: Awakening team, Intelligent Systems, is working on the new game, which does not have a full title yet. Like previous games in the series, it will have tactical, turn-based gameplay.

Yusuke Kozaki, character designer for Awakening, is also working on the new game. Shin Kibayashi, manga storywriter, novelist, and screenwriter, joins the team as writer. Nintendo said the game will feature an entirely new storyline.

Nintendo didn't give details about the game, like when we should expect to see it or any details about characters or story, but the trailer places some emphasis on a blue-haired female character.

Source: Nintendo Direct

While I am excited for this news but I am sadden that it going to be a year or two for it to be release!

EDIT- Ok watching the teaser trailer, it's interesting that they are using real world setting/ armours for reference since one faction look like feudal Japan and the other medeival/ Roman and having a Dancer as a possible main character?

As a fan of Fire Emblem Awakening I say this: Bueeeeeeno.

Woot woot! I love Awakening, such a great game. Can't wait for this next one!

HYPE'd for this~
Lord knows I've spent at least 1-2 hundred hours on the last one, so this'll be an easy sell to me.

That said, I have been wondering how they'd continue from Awakening, given how it's main gimmick was basically time travel, which led to a bunch of interesting game-play features (or in some cases, select shipping for maximum Galeforce).

Maybe they moved the Fire Emblem x Shin Megami game to the 3DS.

Edit: Ok, based on the trailer above probably not. Why is the forum post different then the article?

Edit 2: Ok, now they're the same.

If it's not Fire Emblem x SMT, then I am not interested.

That was a lie, I'm incredibly interested. I gotta get my hands on waifu simulator 2016 when it comes out.

FU~~~~` Yeah~~~
Finally, been playing Awakening for so long. I already have 3 Waifu and 3 husbando. :P
But it'll probably be 2 years from now, so I'll probably have more spouses at that time.

I'm just glad the next one is confirmed for a system I own. As much as I love FE:A, not terribly interested in buying another handheld this soon.

Well'p, there's another guaranteed purchase for me.
At some point this year the 3DS became the only system I play much any more.

I've seen enough, how soon would you like my money Nintendo?

If it's remotely like any other game in the series, particularly Awakening and based on what little they've shown here, it is, I'm sure I'll enjoy it very much.

new Fire Emblem means day 1 purchase for me :). I'll miss Lucina but still it's a new Fire Emblem :D

Looks like they are going for a japanese style thing instead of the usual western setting. Interesting.

Other than that... I hate trailers. This one said nothing of what's going to happen. Oh and damsel in distress, lovely. At least, that's how I interpret one of the scenes in the trailer.

Well now this is a happy surprise. I haven't had much fun with my 3DS but I did sink a absurd number of hours into Awakening, so any sequel is going to be day one purchase.

Breaking News: Nintendo likes money and have hatched a plot to get lots more of it.

Nintendo, why you do this to me?

Wondering if this is related to Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei in any way. This seems to be the first Fire Emblem explicitly set in an Eastern setting,

Eclipse Dragon:

If it's remotely like any other game in the series, particularly Awakening and based on what little they've shown here, it is, I'm sure I'll enjoy it very much.

Do you remember Shadow Dragon?

Every game in the series except for Shadow Dragon and we'll be good. Can't believe that Ninty aactually released that dumbed down piece of garbage.

Man, my 3DS just keeps on justifying its purchase. Looking forward to another round of FE. Awakening was pretty damn good and I'm definitely keen for more.

MarsAtlas:

Every game in the series except for Shadow Dragon and we'll be good. Can't believe that Ninty aactually released that dumbed down piece of garbage.

It's not dumbed down so much as it's a solid adaptation of an incredibly dated game. Still not great by modern FE standards though.

OP: I'm pretty excited. Personally I'm hoping for the more streamlined approach they took to the older games (no grinding or world map). It was fine for Awakening, but just makes some of the strategy boring.

YES.

WAIFU SIMULATOR HAS RETURNED.

YUSS...

MarsAtlas:
Wondering if this is related to Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei in any way. This seems to be the first Fire Emblem explicitly set in an Eastern setting,

Eclipse Dragon:

I didn't find Shadow Dragon that easy... Or maybe it's just the fact there's so many goddamn characters that I got overwhelmed without knowing which ones were worth it or not. Also there was barely any plot, which was really what pushed me away from it. I wonder if the second DS game is better, but then again, Nintendo never bothered to release in englsh.

SO MUCH HYPE! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I am excite, in case you couldn't tell :P

MarsAtlas:

Eclipse Dragon:

I liked Shadow Dragon...
Shadow Dragon had a lot of blaring issues, I agree, however, it is a remake of the original game, and typically when that happens, the result is kind of vanilla. I enjoyed seeing a game released in the west that actually features Marth. Shadow Dragon also takes place in the same world as Awakening, so it was fun playing it, then seeing how the world evolved into what it is in Awakening.

I also liked seeing the characters that inspired the series' tropes. The "Jagen" (the pre-promoted paladin you always get at the beginning of the game that becomes lackluster by the end), the "Merric" (the very talented wind mage who is usually a good friend of the hero and is pretty awesome if only you put the work in). Cain and Abel, the first red cavalier and green cavalier.

Of course it would have been great if they had done more with it, but vanilla is vanilla and we're lucky we at least got completely redone graphics. All that being said, they did also remake Fire Emblem #2 (Mystery of the Emblem) which is a sequel to Fire Emblem #1 and it fixed pretty much all of the biggest issues people had with Shadow Dragon and even paved the way for Awakening, introducing your own custom unit as the player character... and Nintendo never bothered to localize it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Diablo2000:

I didn't find Shadow Dragon that easy... Or maybe it's just the fact there's so many goddamn characters that I got overwhelmed without knowing which ones were worth it or not. Also there was barely any plot, which was really what pushed me away from it. I wonder if the second DS game is better, but then again, Nintendo never bothered to release in englsh.

You can pretty much just completely bench the characters you don't like and stick with the ones you do, they all turn out halfway decent by the end and you can't really screw yourself in that aspect. Marth is leading an army, unlike say, Ike who is just leading a band of mercenaries. I think the sheer amount of characters was meant to try and convey that (although I do prefer the smaller, more personal, more developed group).

Also yeah, the second game was much better.

Diablo2000:
I wonder if the second DS game is better, but then again, Nintendo never bothered to release in englsh.

Well yeah, they didn't release it because the last one had bad sales, because people don't want Fire Emblem, right? I mean, that could be the only explanation, not the fact that the previous release was shit compared to all the others, right?

Publisher logic, why do you have to ruin everything -_-

If this evolves into an exclusive for the new 3DS, I am going to punch someone.

Going purely by first impression, I couldn't help but wonder if a european medieval kingdom was invading medieval japan. Then I went back to being hyped to insane heights because it's Fire Emblem and that series is -AWESOME-!

Eclipse Dragon:

Of course it would have been great if they had done more with it, but vanilla is vanilla and we're lucky we at least got completely redone graphics. All that being said, they did also remake Fire Emblem #2 (Mystery of the Emblem) which is a sequel to Fire Emblem #1 and it fixed pretty much all of the biggest issues people had with Shadow Dragon and even paved the way for Awakening, introducing your own custom unit as the player character... and Nintendo never bothered to localize it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The first fire emblem released in the GBA had a custom character representing the player as well, but given how little we actually did as said character(no lines, no interaction beyond bare minimum, no fighting either) it wasn't that great. Though the one you mentioned did pick that back up which is why I'm still sad it was never localized and released here. Plus it meant I couldn't get my Fire Emblem fix...

Halyah:

The first fire emblem released in the GBA had a custom character representing the player as well, but given how little we actually did as said character(no lines, no interaction beyond bare minimum) it wasn't that great. Though the one you mentioned did pick that back up which is why I'm still sad it was never localized and released here. Plus it meant I couldn't get my Fire Emblem fix...

I played that one and completely forgot there was a custom character...
But from what I remember it was mostly, choose a gender and give them a name, so I'm going to say it doesn't count, erase that character mostly from my brain and continue giving the spotlight to Lyn, Eliwood and Hector XD.

I really hope this new Fire Emblem has better written characters than Awakening did, which totally dropped the ball that the rest of the FE games held. Hopefully this means that everybody can't romance everybody, which I feel resulted in the terrible characterization.

Here's to hoping we get interesting, nuanced characters like we did in Fire Emblem and Sacred Stones, and not cliche anime stereotypes like from Awakening.

Eclipse Dragon:

Halyah:

The first fire emblem released in the GBA had a custom character representing the player as well, but given how little we actually did as said character(no lines, no interaction beyond bare minimum) it wasn't that great. Though the one you mentioned did pick that back up which is why I'm still sad it was never localized and released here. Plus it meant I couldn't get my Fire Emblem fix...

I played that one and completely forgot there was a custom character...
But from what I remember it was mostly, choose a gender and give them a name, so I'm going to say it doesn't count, erase that character mostly from my brain and continue giving the spotlight to Lyn, Eliwood and Hector XD.

Given how little the PC actually did, she might as well not have existed. So you could debate wether it counts or not. :P

Oh heck yeah, looking forward to this.

(Is it gonna be another dating sim?)

It's as if the Direct was to say "You might have heard a lot of people trying to make us seem like we're on the verge of collapse. This is how we like to tell those idiots to go fuck themselves."

Great stuff, what with a new FE, release dates and windows for a bevy of titles, and some neat new stuff like Amiibo functionality with Code Name STEAM.

hickwarrior:
Oh and damsel in distress, lovely. At least, that's how I interpret one of the scenes in the trailer.

My bet is that's a Manakete or possibly a mage of some kind. Strange hair, glowing pendant, dragon imagery.

Constable Reggie:
I really hope this new Fire Emblem has better written characters than Awakening did, which totally dropped the ball that the rest of the FE games held. Hopefully this means that everybody can't romance everybody, which I feel resulted in the terrible characterization.

Here's to hoping we get interesting, nuanced characters like we did in Fire Emblem and Sacred Stones, and not cliche anime stereotypes like from Awakening.

Jokes's on you then, the writer is best know as a manga and anime writer (doing such works as Kindaichi Case Files and the ever-hilarious GetBackers). So prepare for the Japanese aesthetic to be in full-force. And thank freaking Buddha for that.

Aiddon:

Constable Reggie:

Jokes's on you then, the writer is best know as a manga and anime writer (doing such works as Kindaichi Case Files and the ever-hilarious GetBackers). So prepare for the Japanese aesthetic to be in full-force. And thank freaking Buddha for that.

I'd like to think that them announcing a new writer of all positions is an acknowledgement that the writing of Awakening wasn't up to the standards set by the previous games.

And if Reddit analysis of the manga writer's past tendencies holds any sort of truth, he'll hopefully make for more interesting conversations than "We saw each other naked in a comedic fashion! Will you marry me?"

And here go away 300 more hours of my life.

Constable Reggie:

I'd like to think that them announcing a new writer of all positions is an acknowledgement that the writing of Awakening wasn't up to the standards set by the previous games.

And if Reddit analysis of the manga writer's past tendencies holds any sort of truth, he'll hopefully make for more interesting conversations than "We saw each other naked in a comedic fashion! Will you marry me?"

Or, y'know, they did it for funsies. Plus he's ALSO one for the gags in manga. Seriously, Getbackers had fanservice cranked up like mad (equal opportunity at that). And are we REALLY trying to act like Awakening was NEW to that kind of writing? For crying out loud, Kieran and Rhys' support can best be described as an Idiot and Straight Man routine with increasingly goofy injuries. Oh, and let's not forget Lute in Sacred Stones' inability to talk in anything other than "research speak." Or Florina's crippling shyness over Hector that's so acute it takes her damn pegasus to drag him in front of her just so she can finally talk to the guy. Or Ephraim who was so thick-headed around Tana he chose to discuss his rivalry with her brother instead of the giant "Jump my friggin' bones, lunkhead" sign written in glowing neon over her head. The series was rife with it to begin with.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here