Shadowrun: Hong Kong cRPG Tears Through Kickstarter Goal In Hours

Shadowrun: Hong Kong cRPG Tears Through Kickstarter Goal In Hours

Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun: Hong Kong, a follow-up to Returns and Dragonfall, is quickly hacking its way through every single Kickstarter stretch goal.

It's a good time to be a Shadowrun fan these days. Not only is the 5th Edition tabletop game on a shortlist for popular modern systems, Harebrained Schemes recently brought the setting to cRPGs with Shadowrun Returns and its Dragonfall expansion. But the developer isn't stopping there - Harebrained Schemes has turned to Kickstarter once again to produce a Shadowrun game set in a magically awakened Hong Kong. And of course, since Shadowrun Kickstarters are a pretty safe bet, the campaign surpassed its $100,000 goal within 2 hours.

Shadowrun is set in a futuristic world where magic returned on Dec. 21, 2012. But instead of supplanting technology, sorcerers, elves, and dwarves work for mega-corporations alongside hackers and cybernetically-enhanced humans. Shadowrun: Hong Kong takes your character to Kowloon City for a quick payday only to encounter a supernatural enemy that threatens the entire region.

Anyone who enjoyed the previous two Shadowrun cRPGs will probably find lots to be excited about in Hong Kong. Not only does it adopt the same isometric, turn-based gameplay, it adds new weapons, spells, and characters to the mix. Players will be put in charge of a new crew of runners with varied skills and backstories, most of whom include side quests that can be unlocked as stretch goals. As with the last two games, Shadowrun: Hong Kong also features an in-game editor that lets players design their own stories and campaigns.

At this rate, Shadowrun: Hong Kong will be packed to the brim with extras - stretch goals are being unlocked at a phenomenal pace, having collected over $400,000 in a mere two days. If it plays as advertised, then the finished game should prove a worthy follow-up to Harebrained Schemes' work. Whether you back the Kickstarter or not, we'll find out when it launches in Aug. 2015.

Source: Kickstarter

Holy shit. I mean I liked Dragonfall but I didn't think that that many other people liked it so much. And it's already got four times its goal? Well, let's see what the other stretch goals are...700,000...revamped Matrix...MY MONEY! ALL OF IT! TAKE!

On a side note I REALLY like the look of the new crew. After the one in Dragonfall blew me away with how well written they were, I'm eagerly awaiting these new ones.

They're a little under $5000 away from enhanced cyber. I just want my damn chainsaw arms. I don't care if they end up being impractical or not all that good, I wanna shred Triads like I'm Paul Bunyan on crank.

erttheking:
Well, let's see what the other stretch goals are...700,000...revamped Matrix...MY MONEY! ALL OF IT! TAKE!

Yep. Dragonfall fixed a lot of the problems with the base game, but Jesus Christ the matrix sections were boring as fuck. The dull, repetitive music sure didn't help either, especially in a game with otherwise great music.

I have already plopped down 15 bucks to the project. Sadly none of the higher rewards interested me. Not even the digital novel at 25. but I've contributed regardless.

I don't get why, if SRR and Dragonfall were so successful, they need kickstarter money again. And for the record, I backed SRR.

It seems like the stabilizing Kickstarter idea is settling down where I predicted it, becoming a helpful extra leg for semi-reliable small studios.

Not exactly "blindly donate money to unknowns' brand new ideas that are so crazy they might work", but neither it is "Ubisoft holding the next AssCreed at ransom from the fans", it's a sweet spot between the two extremes, as a constructive form of pre-ordering the games that genuinely need that kind of advance money to be better, or could use community feedback.

deth2munkies:
I don't get why, if SRR and Dragonfall were so successful, they need kickstarter money again. And for the record, I backed SRR.

It doesn't, they explicitly said in the video/on the page, that Hong Kong was already on schedule for an August release whatever happens with the Kickstarter, it's basically for the stretch goals alone.

Entitled:

deth2munkies:

It doesn't, they explicitly said in the video/on the page, that Hong Kong was already on schedule for an August release whatever happens with the Kickstarter, it's basically for the stretch goals alone.

Which is still bullshit. They have a huge chunk of assets and the engine already made, those stretch goals should be easily obtainable on profits from the first 2.

deth2munkies:

I believe the justification was that the kickstarter was not to completely fund the new game being made, but to add features that the community wanted. They wanted to bring this to their community, rather than try to find a publisher to give them money for further improvements. And I also believe they talk about it on their kickstarter page.

And making games is expensive.

Initially I thought that the amount of money they were asking for to release the stretch goals was a little much ($50k is a good half year's paycheck), then I remembered physical backer rewards...

I'm really looking forward to what they release as stretch goals if they get more than $700k (Multiplayer at a million? Please?)

I thoroughly enjoyed Dead Man's Switch and adorrrrrred Dragonfall, so I'm easily on-board for another campaign. Since the Kickstarter doesn't end for another month+, I've started with a preliminary pledge of $35. (I figure my friends who're more into tabletop roleplaying could benefit from the tabletop stuff.)

VoidOfOne:

I believe the justification was that the kickstarter was not to completely fund the new game being made, but to add features that the community wanted. They wanted to bring this to their community, rather than try to find a publisher to give them money for further improvements. And I also believe they talk about it on their kickstarter page.

And making games is expensive.

Heck, the pitch video explains it. The game is coming out regardless, they're just pitching extra features. Plus these guys earned my trust with Returns and ant to see what new stuff they could add to Hong Kong.

Also, they've now hit expanded cyber stretch goal.

a

Back everything these guys put on kickstarter, past, present and future(at least till the betray me!!!) not been disapointed with them at all as of yet! Have high hopes for more wornderful madness from Shadowrun.

Very cool! Glad to see they are plugging along. I have Finished SRR and I am looking forward to start Dragonfall Directors cut when I have time.

I am really glad to see these type of successful kickstarter vs the grab n runs we have been getting lately.

For more Shadowrun goodness, I also grabbed their table top starter box and Alphaware. Pretty decent but I wish each had a bit less overlap. Will there ever be anything as cool as the Pathfinder starter box? heh The big hard back book - 5th edition core rule book is great though.

I really liked Returns and Dragonfall so I picked up on this too. I stopped really using Kickstarter/Early Access because you didn't really know if the product would actually be delivered or make its release date. Now since they are saying they have the base game finished and this is just for additional content it is something I can definitely feel comfortable giving money to, for we know there is a finished product and giving them money early means more content.

Thanks backers :)

Can't wait to play.

Oh hell yes. Better Matrix? Hell yes
Let's see if we can move the plot bast 2050, though. I'd love to see what the guys at Harebrained do with AR overlays.

Dragonfall was quite excellent (the Director's Cut is even better), and a very welcome improvement from Dead Man's Switch.

Enough that it made my top 3 games of 2014 (which is almost damning by faint praise, since 2014 was a HORRID year for games in general).

In any case, hopefully, they'll flesh it out a bit more with Hong Kong.

An improved Matrix system would help greatly, especially if they elaborated on the "legwork" segments of runs.
Calling in favors, doing investigations on the target(s), and lots of other little things.

Ironically, it's those things where a Decker really earns their keep but also tend to get completely overlooked compared to stuff that happens on the missions at large.

deth2munkies:

They don't "need" the money. They said they'll put it towards hiring more people to expand the game to have more features and content than it currently is aiming for.

I don't really know if you're complaining or not. 15 dollars for a digital copy of the game will almost certainly be cheaper than what it will be going for retail at launch. If anything, this is an opportunity to save money and it will fund more game content, so it seems like everyone wins.

This is the first one I've backed. And SRR was what introduced me to the RGP as a whole. Still don't have a group to play it with mind, but I'm coming closer to convincing a few mates to give it a try.

Quite excited to see another campaign from these guys!

erttheking:
Holy shit. I mean I liked Dragonfall but I didn't think that that many other people liked it so much. And it's already got four times its goal? Well, let's see what the other stretch goals are...700,000...revamped Matrix...MY MONEY! ALL OF IT! TAKE!

On a side note I REALLY like the look of the new crew. After the one in Dragonfall blew me away with how well written they were, I'm eagerly awaiting these new ones.

They didn't just make Dragonfell, they made a platform by which countless stories have been told by modders and DLC alike.

This has to be one of the best bets to kickstart on.

I absolutely loved SRR even for it's faults and the way they fixed them with Dragonfall really makes me think this is a studio that knows how to work with it's community without getting bogged down by them.

As soon as I have money it's going straight into this kickstater!

I hope they balance the combat to make melee and shaman/riggers less... well garbage, on very hard.

my biggest beef with SRR, ranged weapons and magic rock the house, melee and summons are something you do for shits and giggles or for a self-restraining challenge.

WOOOOOO MORE SHADOWRUN
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm excited WoooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooOOOOOOoOoOOOOOooooO

Dead Man's Switch was good but not great. Dragonfall was great game and the directors cut that was a free upgrade made a great game even better. I would say Dragonfall directors cut is among the best games that came out last year.

I am willing to back this. All kickstaters are a gamble but this one seems like a fairly safe. I have confidence in Harebrained Schemessince ability to make this a good rpg.
The gameplay for the matrix in dragonfall was functional but dull; so I am happy about the idea of it being revamped.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.