John McAfee Says he Knows Who Hacked Sony, And It's Not North Korea

Pages 1 2 NEXT

John McAfee Says he Knows Who Hacked Sony, And It's Not North Korea

john mcafee

McAfee says he has been in contact with the group who hacked Sony Pictures, and confirms that they are not North Korean.

John McAfee, former anti-virus kingpin turned lunatic, claims to know the masterminds behind the devastating Sony Pictures hack that brought the entertainment giant to its knees. While the FBI has officially blamed North Korea for the attacks, security experts are skeptical, and McAfee is among those skeptics. He says that the hackers definitely are not North Korean, but refuses to identify them any further than that.

"I can guarantee [The FBI] are wrong," McAfee told IBTimes UK. "It has to do with a group of hackers - I will not name them - who are civil libertarians and who hate the confinement the restrictions the music industry and the movie industry has placed on art and so they are behind it."

He added that "I don't want to name them - that would make me a nark," and said that "I don't mind that the North Koreans are blamed, I'm not particularly happy with what the North Koreans are doing." McAfee sympathizes with the hackers, stating that he also doesn't agree with Sony's policies.

"Maybe [North Korea] have been wrongly accused in this case, but they have not been accused in cases where they should have been accused," he mused.

The hack in question happened last year, and as well as revealing a boatload of sensitive information, such as inter-office emails and personal identification, led to the whole The Interview debacle, where a threat, allegedly from the hackers, led to the film being cancelled (and then later, Kim Jong un-cancelled).

So it looks like McAfee knows something we don't. Or, maybe he's just talking out of his ass? I guess we'll never know.

Source: IBTimes UK

All this did was remind me of the old guy from Phelous' review of Pulse.

Isn't that illegal? He's withholding evidence in what seems to be a pretty serious crime, can't the police just arrest and interrogate him? I'm no expert on law and the like, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Or more likely it's just a man past his fame shouting "Notice me, Senpai!" by saying stupid shit. Wouldn't be the first time.

Elfgore:
Isn't that illegal? He's withholding evidence in what seems to be a pretty serious crime, can't the police just arrest and interrogate him? I'm no expert on law and the like, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Probably somehow. But, at the same time, if no one cares, the odds of him being prosecuted are slim as hell.

But, yeah, funny how this mystery group of hackers just happen to have a political ideology that completely agrees with his. :\

Elfgore:

Or more likely it's just a man past his fame shouting "Notice me, Senpai!" by saying stupid shit. Wouldn't be the first time.

Nah its a lot more boring than that, its just drug induced paranoia.

Because as we all know, John McAfee: Paragon of reliability and not at all a complete fucking lunatic.

Elfgore:

It is illegal. But no one will give a shit because there is no way in hell that the US government and the FBI will admit that they've made a mistake. Everyone with half a brain knows that NK didn't do this. FBI lied. The President went on national TV and said it was NK. It would be embarrassing for them to admit that they were wrong now. The government doesn't like to be embarrassed. This isn't about national security. It's about politics. And the last thing politicians care about is the truth.

Revolutionary:
Because as we all know, John McAfee: Paragon of reliability and not at all a complete fucking lunatic.

He may be a paranoid lunatic, but the man knows computers. And everyone who knows computers is aware that NK is not behind this. Just look at this: http://gawker.com/a-lot-of-smart-people-think-north-korea-didnt-hack-sony-1672899940

I trust him like I trust his products... McAfee is a horrible antivirus software, I got a year free with my computer, and uninstalled it within a month of usage due to the issues I encountered with it crashing my computer, severely lagging my computer when active (not counting when it scans or anything, just it existing). I went to Kaspersky, and I love that so much more in comparison. :3 So... yeah, I refuse to trust him, and feel like he's spewing shit like the Great Mighty Poo from Conker.

I love this guy, he's what a real-life Tony Stark would actually be like.

Sateru:
I trust him like I trust his products... McAfee is a horrible antivirus software, I got a year free with my computer, and uninstalled it within a month of usage due to the issues I encountered with it crashing my computer, severely lagging my computer when active (not counting when it scans or anything, just it existing). I went to Kaspersky, and I love that so much more in comparison. :3 So... yeah, I refuse to trust him, and feel like he's spewing shit like the Great Mighty Poo from Conker.

yeah... John McAfee hasn't had anything to do with the company or its products since 1994...

Lol annoyed about restrictions on art by music and movie studios then demand a movie, which I feel the need to say no matter how poor it may be, still being a form of artistic expression, not be released. You've solved another one Holmes!

Sateru:

It's been about 20 years since he's had anything to do with McAfee anti-virus.

That pun made me slap myself. Congratulations.

I know, its the lizard people, or the new world order!, the banks? big busness? OH OH! The GMOS! maybe it was Israel, or maybe it was 9/11

So what? He just so happens to manage to track down a hacker group, presumably on his own, when 2 government-funded agencies could not? Or what? This hacker group tracked him down and told him all this information despite the fact that he is long past his time when it comes to him being a relevant figure?

I don't buy it. He is probably making it up as he goes along, or he came across some random group of people that claims to be the hackers.

[Singsong]

I know something you don't know...

[/Singsong]

While I highly doubt it was the North Koreans I'm not going to use the word of some batshit crazy loon as proof of that.

Elmer Fudd might as well be telling us it was Bugs Bunny.

FogHornG36:
I know, its the lizard people, or the new world order!, the banks? big busness? OH OH! The GMOS! maybe it was Israel, or maybe it was 9/11

PFFFFT it was the Illuminati. Those bastards manage to conspire so i had no milk for my cereal when i woke up this morning.

But on yeah, many independent experts are saying it was unlikely NK. China could still do with exercising some power over them.

Abomination:

Elmer Fudd might as well be telling us it was Bugs Bunny.

The fact you think that Elmer Fudd is real is alarming.

Adam Jensen:

Elfgore:

It is illegal. But no one will give a shit because there is no way in hell that the US government and the FBI will admit that they've made a mistake. Everyone with half a brain knows that NK didn't do this.

So, even though NK are the only people in the world with a motive to do this, they didn't do this...

Ah McAfee, the Mel Gibson of computer security.

Sure... we'll believe you...

If they were "civil libertarians" why would they try to make it seem like they were North Korea? Isn't the whole point of activism to draw attention to the cause in which you are acting on behalf of? Am I missing something? And now is he technically an accomplice? So many silly questions.

flarty:

I... don't?

He's a cartoon character.

That's the joke.

He doesn't want to be a nark? What is he in high school still or something? If he has information regarding the identities of people that did millions of dollars worth of damages and threatened the lives of innocent people and he is withholding that information from law enforcement he deserves to be charged prosecuted for that.

Kameburger:
If they were "civil libertarians" why would they try to make it seem like they were North Korea? Isn't the whole point of activism to draw attention to the cause in which you are acting on behalf of? Am I missing something? And now is he technically an accomplice? So many silly questions.

I tend to agree with the general civil libertarian point of view and I'm pretty sure "make dysfunctional communist dictatorship look strong and powerful" is not one of the party's intended goals. If anything, they'd be on Sony's side and would understand their right to do business however they wanted.

Maze1125:
So, even though NK are the only people in the world with a motive to do this, they didn't do this...

NK is not the only one with a motive. "Hackers" across the globe have been doing things like this for years, just for fun or to "stick it to the man." Here, NK would just give random hackers a loudmouth scapegoat that people would be scared of performing real life violence.

I don't think NK is behind it, either, but tuning a blind eye on them would be stupid either way. Being blamed, if only for a moment, could inspire them to do something worse when the spotlight moves away from them.

OT: With the insanity we seen before from McAfee, I'd bet he thinks he led the team to do it.

Abomination:

flarty:

I... don't?

He's a cartoon character.

That's the joke.

OT: I believe he maay well be talking out of his ass, but thats most of what he spends his time doing, the rest is sdpent on cocaine.

Yyyup, seems legit to me. Or rather, not. Come on, McAfee. We may have skeptics on board, but none of them are behaving like this. *Sigh* Chances are, what he's thinking is...

Let's leave him alone. He's gone runny in the head.

If he thinks that movie was "art", he clearly didn't see it.

I'm not sure that John McAfee knows the identity of that strange-looking guy in the weird "window" in his bathroom.

I wouldn't believe this guy if he told me water was wet.

Hairless Mammoth:

Maze1125:

NK is not the only one with a motive. "Hackers" across the globe have been doing things like this for years, just for fun or to "stick it to the man." Here, NK would just give random hackers a loudmouth scapegoat that people would be scared of performing real life violence.

I don't think NK is behind it, either, but tuning a blind eye on them would be stupid either way. Being blamed, if only for a moment, could inspire them to do something worse when the spotlight moves away from them.

OT: With the insanity we seen before from McAfee, I'd bet he thinks he led the team to do it.

Yeah, a half-arsed film that no-one cared about before this happened, general "hackers" clearly have a reason to go after it...

Again, NK are the only people with a motive to go after this film.

Maze1125:
Again, NK are the only people with a motive to go after this film.

Why do you think that this was ever about the movie? When it comes to cyber crime, you practically have to question the official story because there's no real physical evidence to speak of other than the fact that North Korea literally doesn't have the infrastructure or manpower to pull this off. They could have payed someone else, sure, but that's doubtful too since the amount of data that was leaked from Sony indicates that this was a hacking effort that took a lot longer than most people realize. Who knows how long the hackers had access to Sony's data and how long they've been collecting it. It didn't happen over night. As far as we know, hackers could be collecting data from other companies as we speak.

Adam Jensen:
...North Korea literally doesn't have the infrastructure or manpower to pull this off.

North Korea may be a pathetic backwater, but they still have computers, an internet connection, and a labor force notorious for being put to work on the angry whims of their leaders rather than useful economic development.

At this point, I'm getting more and more inclined to believe the official story simply because the counter-narratives are such thin nonsense. What's motivating that?

Elfgore:

I don't think you're wrong, but I would think the charges of murder and runing a meth lab in his basement would take priority...

"Or, maybe he's just talking out of his ass? I guess we'll never know.".
I believe this says it all: "John McAfee, former anti-virus kingpin turned lunatic"...

And btw, it's "narc", not "nark"... Narc is slang shorthand for 'narcotics undercover agent', i.e. an infiltrator with the sole purpose of bringing down criminals from the start.

So his use of the term here is incorrect; he has not been sent in to find out more information by the government, after all...
Just like all the other things he's saying, anyway. *rolls eyes*.

P.S.
Please stop posting crackpot ramblings as news, it brings down the quality of the whole site (and it's not exactly been riding as high lately as it was many years ago already) :(

Adam Jensen:
NK

I asked point-blank - all joking aside - in another thread if they could do it. The general concensus is that they can, or just hired somebody else. So basically, the myth is not busted, and this guy ain't exactly the one to do it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here