Blizzard is Sending Badass Orc Statues to 10-Year WoW Veterans - Update

Blizzard is Sending Badass Orc Statues to 10-Year WoW Veterans - Update

If you haven't let your World of Warcraft subscription lapse for 10 years, you may be in for a special treat.

Update: Blizzard community manager Bashiok has confirmed the special anniversary gift. He also confirms our suspicions that as well as having to have made an account within 60 days of the game launching, eligible players must have also held a continuous subscription for the game's entire 10-year duration. US, Canada, Oceania, Latin America, and EU players are all eligible for the gift, and should be receiving emails shortly.

Original Story: If you were one of the very first to set sail on the SS World of Warcraft, and haven't abandoned ship in the 10 long years its been sailing, you may be in for a very special treat from Blizzard. MMO Champion has posted an announcement from a since-deleted support topic, detailing the special physical reward for 10-year veterans of the game. And if that's not enough proof, Battle.net user Smitti has posted pictures of said reward, which is a smaller-scale model of the badass Orc statue that sits outside Blizzard Headquarters.

Check it out, along with the original, below. You'll notice that the base of the statue has a special message to fans, thanking Blizzard's most dedicated fans for being a "constant presence" in its life, just like the full-size statue.

While Blizzard has not "officially" announced the gift, the pictures look pretty legit. According to the deleted announcement, "These gifts were sent to physical addresses of eligible registered Battle.net accounts. To be eligible for this gift, a player must have created a World of Warcraft account within 60 days of the game's release in America or Europe," and that eligible players should receive an email shortly.

While Smitti says that he has not let his subscription lapse in the entire 10 years he has been playing, the "official" announcement does not seem to state this requirement. However, the message at the base of the statue does seem to suggest that it's a special gift reserved only for those who have been a "constant presence" in the game.

We've reached out for Blizzard for an official confirmation, as well as to clarify the eligibility of the statue.

Source: MMO Champion via Battle.net

Here's the official announcement from Bashiok:

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/357978-anniversary-gift/

WNxSajuukCor:
Here's the official announcement from Bashiok:

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/357978-anniversary-gift/

Thanks mate! Mustve missed that one

Not very badass looking at all. Just black with a microscopic hint of some dark green? Hard to make out any details, all gritty and grimey; nothing like the bright and elegant, simple WoW characters you play/slay in the game.

Just saying; I have a lot of much more bad ass looking official WoW models on display atm...

I'm just a little miffed about this. I've played since Open Beta non-stop for 10 years. However I'm not eligible because for the last couple x-pacs I've played a character on my second account as my main (both accounts linked together within B.Net) and let my first account lapse since my main wasn't on it. You'd think they'd somehow take into account having both accounts comparing sub times with linked accounts.

They should just go full Oprah on their dedicated fans give them all IRL Horde choppers.

Shinkicker444:
I'm just a little miffed about this. I've played since Open Beta non-stop for 10 years. However I'm not eligible because for the last couple x-pacs I've played a character on my second account as my main (both accounts linked together within B.Net) and let my first account lapse since my main wasn't on it. You'd think they'd somehow take into account having both accounts comparing sub times with linked accounts.

Could always send in a support ticket and ask about this specific situation.

I've played since the first month of vanilla, but since I let my sub expire for a year during Mists I'm not eligible for this, and so are a couple of my guildies. Kinda sucks, but it is a reward for continued loyalty so it's understandable. One of them did get it though....which makes me think that a bunch of us in the guild have played this game for far too long....and that I've known them for a decade. That is actually pretty mind-blowing.

Well, you can be pretty sure that they checked first how many people have
been that "loyal" before they decided what they give away.

My guess is:
"Just a few hundreds? Bring out the big guns to make it a marketing stunt instead of some in-game-item."

Kopikatsu:
Could always send in a support ticket and ask about this specific situation.

Have put a ticket in about it, but I doubt it will change anything.

Gretha Unterberg:

My guess is:
"Just a few hundreds? Bring out the big guns to make it a marketing stunt instead of some in-game-item."

Pretty much exactly what I reckon happened.

God damn it! If Cataclysm wasn't such a shitty expansion then I'd be eligible for this! Yet another reason to hate Cata... like it needed more.

This is something I'd never be proud of if I ever got one. Spent 10 years paying, playing this game and all I got was this lousy statue.

It's not even a life-time achievement. Not even something to recognise your participation in civilisation.

I'm reminded of a post I made a while back:

Aeshi:

It's Blizzard. Overwatch could come with a hundred dollar bills in every box and people would complain that they weren't folded right.

Seriously, it's a freebie (they're not even charging for shipping) and people are complaining. This is even worse than when people were complaining about Origin giving away free games because at least there there was an argument in not wanting to install Origin.

Gretha Unterberg:

My guess is:

And? I doubt any company anywhere does ANY promotion without checking to see how much it might cost them.

Aeshi:

And? I doubt any company anywhere does ANY promotion without checking to see how much it might cost them.

To give those that think
"if I would have stayed subscripted just X month longer I would have got one ,too"
some perspective.

If they had done that , then the reward would have been just an in-game party hat.

Not counting discounts for buying time in bulk, a subscription is $15 a month, so $180 a year, spanning 10 years...

That's an $1800 statue.

Wait a sec, hold the phone, stop the music!

Steven Bogos:
Canada, Oceania, Latin America, and EU players are all eligible for the gift

A major company is acknowledging that there are countries out there that aren't America? What a dangerous precedent to set!

Aeshi:

It would certainly be sensible for them to do so, but you'd be surprised how often they screw up spectacularly.

Aeshi:

I don't think Blizzard will have to make a guess. They probably have that data somewhere on easy access... I mean, I don't doubt that they are keeping records of these things.

That said, I doubt they will actually have to produce a lot of those. Even the most dedicated WoW players I know have had a few months of breaks, by simple virtue of the game having stretches of no new content for those who are dedicated enough to keep up with the endgame content.

I'll wait until the first one makes it to Ebay.

I wonder how many of these will end up on ebay and at what prices. It doesn't look like it would fit in many places in non-collectors' homes (but would look really good being held by a life size xenomorph statue).

Hairless Mammoth:
I wonder how many of these will end up on ebay and at what prices. It doesn't look like it would fit in many places in non-collectors' homes (but would look really good being held by a life size xenomorph statue).

oh, like this one ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10th-Anniversary-World-of-Warcraft-Orc-Statue-Unopened-Ten-Year-Anniversary-/181642120341

the previous one was sold for a lot more than this.

Edit: there's 53 up for sale at the moment ... more than i thought there would be.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=10th+Anniversary+World+of+Warcraft+Orc&_sop=3

Oh good idea, people who have cancelled their subscription at any point will love this.

Not that I care, but they will complain.

I am pretty sure its a quick database lookup to see when a person's current subscription started, I for one just couldn't justify the cost of paying for the game any longer after my guild died in Cataclysm for I never found a guild I felt like I belonged in after.

Bit insensitive to blindly send an Orc statue to potentially alliance loyalists.

llubtoille:
Bit insensitive to blindly send an Orc statue to potentially alliance loyalists.

Like it or not, Orcs are the face of the franchise.

Aethren:
Not counting discounts for buying time in bulk, a subscription is $15 a month, so $180 a year, spanning 10 years...

That's an $1800 statue.

That's of course assuming that the actual enjoyment received from the playing of the game has zero value. And, as there was no stipulation from the start that there would be anything of the sort sent out, one must conclude that the $1800 that was spent (More probably $1200. If you're in it for 10 years and aren't paying six months at a time, you're doing it wrong.) was what those players considered a fair price for the experience, else they'd not have done it. Therefore, the statue is 100% pure profit, and if those ebay auctions are any indication, may just be a complete wash as far as the money you've spent on the game, if you're willing to part with it.

PS: I know/hope you're being facetious.

All those sales on Ebay must be the Alliance players...

8BitArchitect:
All those sales on Ebay must be the Alliance players...

Well, to be honest, they could have made a statue with an alliance and horde character fighting one another instead of putting it on a mount. There are two big factions in the game, and it caters to only one. A bit of an oversight, but it is a freebie, so honestly, if I was a WoW player, I'm sure I'd be happy either way. Was still a nice thing for them to do, not like they had to.

VanQ:
God damn it! If Cataclysm wasn't such a shitty expansion then I'd be eligible for this! Yet another reason to hate Cata... like it needed more.

THIS! THIS! THIS! Account created 27th December 2004, took some time off during Cata because I didnt enjoy it (until Dragon Soul) and no statue!

/tableflip

See, the statuette of an orc falling off his war wolf is an introspective allegory for the existential quandary of life and digital life. We, the orc, ride through life on the back of our digital lives, the wolf. As our digital life becomes bigger, stronger, and more aggressive, so too we begin to lose our grip on actual life until we fall, at which point our digital life gets away from us, and our real life reaches an absolute standstill...

Truly an elegant piece, I do hope Sotheby's honors its artistic genius with a suitably grotesque listing upon such time as their pedestal is graced by its sublime presence.

Just one more reason to say Fuck you Very Much to Siege of Orgrimmar. That dearth of content made me unsub for six months, and lo and behold, this happens shortly afterwards. Feh.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.