Official: Club Nintendo is Shutting Down

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Official: Club Nintendo is Shutting Down

club nintendo rip

Loyalty program to end later in 2015, replacement yet to be announced

To the surprise of many fans, Nintendo has announced that it will discontinue its popular customer-loyalty program Club Nintendo in June of 2015.

The program will begin winding down almost immediately, with products released after January 20, 2015 no longer being eligible for registration. March 31 will be the last day that customers can start a new membership, register eligible products and earn the program's currency, Coins. The program itself will cease to exist at 11:59pm PST on June 30, at which point all Coins must be redeemed as they will be deleted for July 1. Nintendo is promising to add "dozens of downloadable games and a limited quantity of exclusive reward items" to the rewards catalog in February for members to spend their remaining Coins on.

A merger of the earlier VIP 24:7 and Club Member programs, Club Nintendo has been in operation since December 2007. Nintendo has confirmed that the arrival of a new program is imminent, but provided no other details save that memberships to previous programs will not be carried over into any new iterations.

Source: Club Nintendo

I guess this could end well or not. If you have really nice things for people to spend the coins they have been holding onto for so long, I can see them not complaining much. If you decide to remove the program with pathetic stuff for people to use their coins on, then shut down, then also have a new program with great stuff but people have to start by buying completely new games, then that's going to be a problem. Things might be easier if they could somehow allow stuff be transferred over, especially if people aren't interested in what comes out. All in all, I don't see this ending well.

MovieBob:
Nintendo has confirmed that the arrival of a new program is imminent, but provided no other details save that memberships to previous programs will not be carried over into any new iterations

Well at least they are planning to replace it and it's not a case of "Its gone forever". I think for many people (like me) we have been hording stars and not really using them, so maybe its a way of forcing people to spend. Either way, Im sad that it's going, but at the same time glad because the UK club Nintendo sight was rubbish and really needed an up date

Wow this is surreal. I just signed up for it last year. Just in time to get Donkey Kong Country Returns for free and a nice 3DS case. I'm sure what they decide to do next will be better.

Had a feeling it was shutting down. Every time I looked at the rewards store, it was EMPTY, and month after month it got worse.

*pets her Pikmin tote bag*

I wonder if the new program will have still have surveys and rewards. Of course I like the rewards, but I kind of also liked the surveys, they gave me a place to vent my frustration over Xenoblade Chronicles limited release in a "constructive" manner.

And here I was hoping to get a WiiU, Bayonetta 2, and Tropical Freeze to push me into Elite status. I hope whatever's floating around still has a redemption code. I'd like to make one last run of it before everything disappears. What upsets me though is that they're suggesting that not even the registration of previous games will be supported in their new system. Y'know, the thing that allowed you to be compensated for your downloaded games and content if your physical hardware got lost/stolen/broken.

From the looks of it though, there should be no reason why I won't get my Sm4sh soundtrack and Mewtwo DLC, so that's something I guess. This new system better be amazing.

Edit: What would be REALLY awesome is if the potential rewards they're releasing in February included some WiiU Gamecube controller adapters. That would make me a happy panda.

Well, no time to be pick. Let's change these bitches.

I ordered the 3DS card case even though I only have a couple of physical games. Most of my games are downloaded. Gotta use those points on something and the games that they have up this month are the last ones, they don't expire until the end. I already have all of the games except Super Punch Out and I don't really want that one.

I just got a Wii u and am 70 counts from platinum D:

Also I just spent my coins on the smash brothers posters il be so mad if they put those zelda posters back up I could never gdt

Well it was pretty bare, to the point I never signed up for it. I wonder if NoA has learned from other regional offices and will actually have good rewards in the successor program.

Though, it probably does suck for those that never had anything good to use their coins on. I guess I can register the 7 or so games that I have codes for and see what dopey wallpaper (that will be plastered all over the internet within a day) I can get.

Story:
Wow this is surreal. I just signed up for it last year. Just in time to get Donkey Kong Country Returns for free and a nice 3DS case. I'm sure what they decide to do next will be better.

Same here. Well. For me it was Pokemon Y for free. But still, freaking surreal.

Really, they cannot some sort of conversion. I hope the new stuff is better unlike more upgraded award systems these days that have gotten worse.

Time to blow all my coins.

I guess it's a good thing that I blew the rest of my coins on 3DS game card cases for myself and my girlfriend. That sucks though, I was already really close to hitting Platinum status this year...

It really could have been nice if they could carry over coins or something to the new system, but then again we still don't even know what the new system will be.
Thankfully I had just recently gotten myself the Pikmin 3DS Game Case.
I'd been needing something to carry my games in that wasn't just having them loose about in my DS case.

Haha, I'd registered just three weeks ago. It seemed like a neat service, but I am curious what will replace it.

Raggedstar:

*pets her Pikmin tote bag*

The amount of envy I have for you right now is indescribable.

OT: It's sad that Club Nintendo is shutting down, but as they assured, they are going to replace it with another rewards program. I hope that this time it's a global system. I'm getting tired of seeing our friends across the pond get cool Club Nintendo awards and we are stuck with some shit tier stuff.

Dr. Thrax:
It really could have been nice if they could carry over coins or something to the new system, but then again we still don't even know what the new system will be.
Thankfully I had just recently gotten myself the Pikmin 3DS Game Case.
I'd been needing something to carry my games in that wasn't just having them loose about in my DS case.

To be fair though July 1st (or was it 5 days after) is also the day that the Club Nintendo "year" ends and all unredeemed coins are lost anyway. So all in all your not exactly losing out on much.

I just hope this new program is better in the EU.

I just wonder what the successor program is going to entail. I know Iwata a few months ago (I think at a developer meeting or something) was throwing around the idea of a customer loyalty program for those who buy a LOT of Nintendo products. Makes me think of an expansion of the Digital Deluxe Promotion they did for the Wii U until this past December

I wonder what the replacement will be? I never ended up joining Club Nintendo though.

Redlin5:
I wonder what the replacement will be? I never ended up joining Club Nintendo though.

I'm hoping it's something linked with our Nintendo game system profiles, so if we have one break down, we can download our content on to new ones etc.

This won't affect the Mewtwo giveaway for Smash Bros, right?

Oh well. Might as well see what I can spend whatever coins I have on...

Dragonbums:

OT: It's sad that Club Nintendo is shutting down, but as they assured, they are going to replace it with another rewards program. I hope that this time it's a global system. I'm getting tired of seeing our friends across the pond get cool Club Nintendo awards and we are stuck with some shit tier stuff.

I only hope it has excellent prizes. Club Nintendo for North America has been declining when it came to prizes for ages now. I mean the 3DS Game case is cool, but it's been ages since we got something like that.

OT: Well I hope there is something good planned for current Platinum members then, otherwise I'm gonna be pissed.

Crap, I better spend my coins (if the bloody site let me in already!), sign if only I did this sooner to get better rewards.

Neronium:

Dragonbums:

I only hope it has excellent prizes. Club Nintendo for North America has been declining when it came to prizes for ages now. I mean the 3DS Game case is cool, but it's been ages since we got something like that.

OT: Well I hope there is something good planned for current Platinum members then, otherwise I'm gonna be pissed.

Has it? I personally thought they were always underwhelming considering that I made my account around last year or so and didn't really bother all that much with the prizes until these last few months. The only thing I wanted was the Pikmin tote bag. It was up there for the LONGEST time and of course it goes out of stock the moment I rack up enough coins to redeem it :(

Dragonbums:

Has it? I personally thought they were always underwhelming considering that I made my account around last year or so and didn't really bother all that much with the prizes until these last few months. The only thing I wanted was the Pikmin tote bag. It was up there for the LONGEST time and of course it goes out of stock the moment I rack up enough coins to redeem it :(

Back when Club Nintendo first started, it had amazing prizes for everyone, but around 2010 was when it really started to go downhill. Overtime physical items were never renewed and old physical items stayed on there. The Mario & Luigi Cards and Nintendog Greeting cards, as well as the Ultra Hand have been on there for at least 5 years now. Them giving away digital games was a nice change of pace, but then they kept repeating the same games, last year for example had 1080 Snowboarding 5 times. In the last 2 years I can say what the best items were for Club Nintendo via physical items: Mario/Luigi 3DS carrying case (I have the Luigi Hat one), the Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon Statue (ridiculously expensive, about 1,300 coins I believe), the Pikmin/Legend of Zelda 3DS game case (grabbed the Zelda one instantly), Majora's Mask Soundtrack (Platinum reward for 2012, barely missed it by 10 coins), and the Year of Luigi Coin (was expensive as hell).

Also, if you wanted the Tote Bag you should have just asked me, I had so many coins that I could have ordered 2 of them. :P

I'd say it's a shame, but really, it's been a letdown. They had some good physical rewards once in a blue moon (seriously Nintendo, just sell those 18x 3DS game cases directly) but the digital rewards fell flat month after month either being crap no one wanted, or great games we'd already paid for most of the time. Not to mention the setup was tedious as surveys had the same questions again and again and my answers rarely if ever deviated (yes, this is my age, no I don't play in 3D, I bought the game because it looked fun).

A shame indeed but it's been shit ever since I joined. But the most weird thing about this is most game news site is more about "Nintendo killing a service" and not enough focus on the decline of the service and the replacement of Nintendo club.

Kaimax:
A shame indeed but it's been shit ever since I joined. But the most weird thing about this is most game news site is more about "Nintendo killing a service" and not enough focus on the decline of the service and the replacement of Nintendo club.

Because drama is more interesting even if the fact of Nintendo following up with a new program should be the more important thing to concentrate on.

Well, crap. Do I get the New 3ds XL nao, and hope that the end game of club nintendo is worth spending coins on, or wait until the new thing is out?

I did get a few nice games out of Club Nintendo, but Im hopeful of the future, too.

Jeez... I've been a CN member since the beginning, I guess, and I could never find any rewards within my coin range... and the one time I finally get to redeem anything for rewards was those Smash Bros. codes for the physical CD soundtrack and Mewtwo DLC...

*sighs* Now, I never get that Game & Watch collection game at this point...

Rebel_Raven:
Well, crap. Do I get the New 3ds XL nao, and hope that the end game of club nintendo is worth spending coins on, or wait until the new thing is out?

I did get a few nice games out of Club Nintendo, but Im hopeful of the future, too.

To be honest, none of Club Nintendo's prizes are worth it. They do say that there will be some digital prizes but that's not much.

OT: With a new system hopefully will have new things, like account integration. And better prizes would be nice...

xaszatm:

Rebel_Raven:

To be honest, none of Club Nintendo's prizes are worth it. They do say that there will be some digital prizes but that's not much.

OT: With a new system hopefully will have new things, like account integration. And better prizes would be nice...

I don't regret Metroid, Mario Golf, or Starship Defense one bit. Well, aside from metroid cramping the hell out of my hand.

I'll grant you that few rewards got my attention, but I'm glad some did.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here