Meet X-Men: Apocalypse's Younger Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey

Meet X-Men: Apocalypse's Younger Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey

Game of Thrones actress Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) will be portraying the younger version of Jean Grey in X-Men: Apocalypse.

X-Men: Apocalypse director Bryan Singer has just announced via Twitter who will be portraying the younger versions of iconic X-men Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey in the upcoming flick. Alexandra Shipp will play Storm, Tye Sheridan will star as Cyclops, and, perhaps most notably, Sophie Turner, Game of Throne's Sansa Stark, will portray young Jean Grey.

While Turner is obviously the most well-known, many may recall 18-year-old Sheridan from his roles in the 2012 coming-of-age drama Mud and Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life. 24-year-old Shipp is a relative newcomer to the big screen, and is perhaps best known as KT Rush in the Nickelodeon mystery show House of Anubis.

X-Men: Apocalypse is the sequel to last year's Days of Future Past, which involved a lot of freaky time-travel to retcon a lot of the more... questionable decisions of X-Men 3, including the deaths of Jean Grey and Cyclops. We don't know too much about Apocalypse, but we do know it will be set during the 1980's, around 10 years after the events of Days of Future Past.

Turner, Malick and Shipp will be taking over from Halle Berry, Famke Janssen and James Marsden, though at this point it is unclear what (if any) role the original actors will play in the new movie.

Source: IGN

So I guess no Wolverine in this movie, huh? Would be a bit weird to have 50-year old Hugh Jackman coming on to Sansa Stark.

What about Xavier, is that gonna be Stewart or McAvoy?

Casual Shinji:
So I guess no Wolverine in this movie, huh? Would be a bit weird to have 50-year old Hugh Jackman coming on to Sansa Stark.

Teenage Jean Grey could totally have a teen girl crush on Wolverine. If he reciprocates, THAT would be creepy. :p

I suspect McAvoy will be the go-to Xavier from here on out.

Has Sophie Turner done anything where she speaks 'Murrican? I'd be curious to see/hear it.

That's great news for Sophie, I always like seeing actors being able to play outside their potentially inevitable typecast role.

And damn she looks the part very well.

I would be happy with no Wolverine in this movie. Its amazing when you have the xmen license which has hundreds of characters to chose from. They just stick Wolverine at the front. I do wonder if they will ever branch out and do an Uncanny XMen or Generation X movies as spinoffs?

I wish they made a feature film about their more interesting characters like Sabretooth and Dr Essex instead of those goody 2 shoes all the time. They need to shake things up a bit b/c all those Marvel movies blend into one another. I understand that making every movie family friendly rakes in the largest amount of cash, but the most interesting stories are published in the Marvel Now line-up. Many of which would make for excellent movies. (like X II Origins for example).

So I guess no Wolverine in this movie

LOL, I am almost certain they will find a way to shoe horn old claws in to the story. After all isn't that the whole point of the Xmen movies, sorry the continuing adventures of Wolverine and his mutant buddies?

Other than that the Xmen movies have taken a steady slow decline in to the region of meh! save Old School which was different enough raise a whole ummmm!

Casual Shinji:

It's already been announced that neither Patrick Stewart or Ian McKellen will be in Apocalypse.

I hope Sophie Turner does well in this. I think all of the young actors in Game of Thrones have serious potential, but you never really know until they start popping up in other works.

Casual Shinji:

It's going to be McAvoy. I'm guessing this means we won't see most of the original cast bar Hugh Jackman (Was there any doubt?). Hopefully we'll see them in the one after- Not that James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender aren't really damn awesome, but they're not the definitive movie Professor/Magneto to me.

TheRightToArmBears:

Casual Shinji:

It's going to be McAvoy. I'm guessing this means we won't see most of the original cast bar Hugh Jackman (Was there any doubt?). Hopefully we'll see them in the one after- Not that James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender aren't really damn awesome, but they're not the definitive movie Professor/Magneto to me.

Well, Fassbender takes up the mantel quite flawlessly, I think. McAvoy slightly less, but then it's pretty much impossible for anyone to compete with the awesome quiet, cool, collected nature of Patrick Stewart.

Casual Shinji:

TheRightToArmBears:

Casual Shinji:

Well, Fassbender takes up the mantel quite flawlessly, I think. McAvoy slightly less, but then it's pretty much impossible for anyone to compete with the awesome quiet, cool, collected nature of Patrick Stewart.

Eh, I think McAvoy is good enough, he works with what he has. They've been trying so hard to show Prof X's character growth into the sagely old Professor we know that they started really far off the mark, making First Class's Professor basically the polar opposite. The plus side I guess, is that it'll only get better.

TheRightToArmBears:
Eh, I think McAvoy is good enough, he works with what he has. They've been trying so hard to show Prof X's character growth into the sagely old Professor we know that they started really far off the mark, making First Class's Professor basically the polar opposite. The plus side I guess, is that it'll only get better.

Oh definately, McAvoy is great, I just think he has slightly bigger shoes to fill acting wise.

The only casting decision I really take issue with is Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, as well as the writers' decision to make her the 'younger sister/confused protegé' character.

The bigger question is will Cyclops be less of a jerk in this?Yes, I know; a movie, not a comic, but my question still stands. (I...didn't really like Cyclops that much when I got a little older. I later learned he was...kind of an A-hole in the then recent comics. Wolvy and Gambit on the other hand? I liked. Wonder if Channing Tatum can do a good Cajun accent?)

SonOfVoorhees:
I would be happy with no Wolverine in this movie. Its amazing when you have the xmen license which has hundreds of characters to chose from. They just stick Wolverine at the front. I do wonder if they will ever branch out and do an Uncanny XMen or Generation X movies as spinoffs?

Ohh god, please don't...

But this is hardly a point of the movies alone, right? I like Wolverine as a character, but everywhere he is in (comics, movies, cartoons, etc), so much seems to revolve around him that they should be renamed The W-Men. I mean, there are at least 2 animated adaptations where Wolverine was the head of the school in the absence of the professor...

I am sure they will find a way to make him appear, even if it means being careful that he doesn't interact with the young characters. Or even then, Brian Singer and the X-Men movies, even at their best, are known for creating plot holes big enough to drive a space shuttle through them... I am sure a small temporal paradox is not going to stop him.

I don't know this Alexandra Shipp girl, but the one thing that reeeeeeally grated with me about Storm's character as portrayed by Halle Berry was the fact that she didn't even have a tinge of a foreign accent. She's not from the US, she's from Kenya, I believe. That was always one of her defining characterisitcs: in her home village she was not ostricized, she was worshipped as a goddess, but she always felt very burdened by that role, which made her a very controlled person. That NEVER comes accross in the X-men movies, she's just a regular citizen of the United States with mutant powers.

Also,

ArcaneGamer:
The bigger question is will Cyclops be less of a jerk in this?Yes, I know; a movie, not a comic, but my question still stands. (I...didn't really like Cyclops that much when I got a little older. I later learned he was...kind of an A-hole in the then recent comics. Wolvy and Gambit on the other hand? I liked. Wonder if Channing Tatum can do a good Cajun accent?)

I'm still firmly against Channing Tatum. He's not shown in any of his roles an acting persona to portray Gambit. He'd be quite older than cyclops, jean and storm, iceman, rouge, etc... when he's supposed to be about the same age as his team mates. He'd be as old as Professor X himself. His powers don't extend to prolonged youth or regeneration like Mystique or Wolverine, so he'd be out of comission by the time the core X-team is grown up. Also, in my opinion, he doesn't even have the same body type. The only thing they have in common is being from somewhere in the greater region defined as "the South".

Great for Sophie Turner [even though I'm already wincing at whether she can affect a decent American accent], and That Kid From The Tree Of Life Tye Sheridan, but for me the Fox X-Men franchise corporate experiment has been one long, continuous train wreck, viewed in meticulous slo-mo over the many, many years. They've tangled themselves up in junked or wasted arcs, shitty versions of characters, weird casting, and continuity that reveals they never had any real vision to any part of the project, and are just trying to ride the ongoing crash till it all grinds to an ugly halt. Or explodes. Although there's been a lot of explosions along the way.

...and like the franchise, this metaphor has gone rogue (arf.. ).

I'll watch Apocalypse eventually, but Fox won't get a single penny out of me where box office is concerned, and I still hope the films fail.

shiajun:
I don't know this Alexandra Shipp girl, but the one thing that reeeeeeally grated with me about Storm's character as portrayed by Halle Berry was the fact that she didn't even have a tinge of a foreign accent. She's not from the US, she's from Kenya, I believe. That was always one of her defining characterisitcs: in her home village she was not ostricized, she was worshipped as a goddess, but she always felt very burdened by that role, which made her a very controlled person. That NEVER comes accross in the X-men movies, she's just a regular citizen of the United States with mutant powers.

Go reread Uncanny x-men #102. Storm is HALF kenyan, born in new york and raised in harlem before they moved back to her mother's home country which was kenya. Her father was an american journalist.
Nothing about an american actress would be completely out of character for her.

I suppose the new Jean Grey and Cyclops look fine since they're going for a younger angle with them, but wasn't Storm a tad older than them? Also, I'm curious to see how much flak she'll get since her skin is even lighter than Halle Barry's. Either way, I don't think being on House of Anubis is anything to brag about since it's pretty much your usual modern live action Nick garbage.

Casual Shinji:

I think with the exception of Hugh Jackman we have probably seen the last of the original cast, that scene at the end of Days of Future Past with them all crammed into five minutes felt a lot like a "Last Goodbye" moment. It does make me sad in a way as I think many of the original actors, particularly Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen gave stand-out performances in their respective roles - even if they were held back by some questionable writing at times.

Slightly off topic I am getting kinda weary of the constant recasting of the X-men characters. I can totally get on board with a young cast and an older cast, but if they wanted to do young Cyclops and Jean Grey maybe they should have given that some thought before already introducing us to young versions of these characters in Origins and The Last Stand respectively. It just seems sloppy and really breaks the immersion for me.

Say what you want about that Marvel Cinematic Universe but at least they can maintain a continuity without any of this bullshit.

Casual Shinji:

TheRightToArmBears:

Oh definately, McAvoy is great, I just think he has slightly bigger shoes to fill acting wise.

The only casting decision I really take issue with is Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, as well as the writers' decision to make her the 'younger sister/confused protegé' character.

Speaking of, is she returning as Mystique? I'm kind of on Bob's side about her; she just doesn't really appeal to me.

Casual Shinji:

I didn't mind the sister/brother thing myself in FC/DoFP, I thought it was kind of an interesting side story. Curious how she'll go in this though, she came off as an anti-hero at the end of DoFP rather than a straight up villain.

I'd never have picked Shipp to be 24 years old from that pick, but then again I'm terrible at guessing ages - especially for actresses.

I wonder if Quicksilver will be in it, his role in Days was easily one of the best things about that movie.

Shinkicker444:

Casual Shinji:

I didn't mind the sister/brother thing myself in FC/DoFP, I thought it was kind of an interesting side story. Curious how she'll go in this though, she came off as an anti-hero at the end of DoFP rather than a straight up villain.

I don't know, I like the rogue Mystique, the person who's not really on anyone's side but her own. Having her be Charles' adoptive sister just felt like a contrived way of putting a popular character from the previous movies back in the new ones.

It also makes her seem like a total moron in Days of Future Past for wanting to kill Trask knowing it'll basically bring forth the apocalypse. Maybe this could've worked if she herself got caught and tortured by Trask, but as is she just comes across like a pouty teenager.

Abomination:
That's great news for Sophie, I always like seeing actors being able to play outside their potentially inevitable typecast role.

And damn she looks the part very well.

From a show where everybody dies to a character that always dies, sounds totally typecast to me :P

On a more serious note. I kind of like the idea of going back to younger versions of those characters. To me, Cyclops has always been a character with some really interesting aspects to him that always gets simplified to him just being a jerk. So I hope they have the intention to give him at least a little more depth. The movie version of Storm totally deserves a second chance as well.

So are we slowly inching back to the present? Or are the X-Men films just going to be set in the late 20th century from now on? Honestly I kinda thought the point of DofP was resetting things in the present so that we could continue the series with a somewhat clean slate. I'm fine with geriatric X - Men. If they keep putting Arnold Schwartzenegger and Stalone in movies I think I can handle the original cast being in their 40s, but whatever.

008Zulu:
I wonder if Quicksilver will be in it, his role in Days was easily one of the best things about that movie.

They made Quicksilver nearly unbeatable in DofP. Ya, he might be good for a funny scene here or there, but you can't really create any tense moments with a character who can put the badguy in handcuffs before he even has time to blink.

So hang on a minute, this will be set 10 years after Days of Future Past... but 10 years AFTER the incident in the 70s, NOT after the frame narrative set in the future? So the story won't continue after the little epilogue in DofP, but rather sometime after Trask's failed assassination attempt but BEFORE the first X-Men movie? Except X1, X2 and X3 were written out of canon? If that makes any sense?

Olas:
They made Quicksilver nearly unbeatable in DofP. Ya, he might be good for a funny scene here or there, but you can't really create any tense moments with a character who can put the badguy in handcuffs before he even has time to blink.

Someone like Iceman could lower the temperature to near freezing in a wide area, that's slow him him.

I'm so tired of fucking teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeens!!!!

*ahem*

Teens are boring and stupid and they have boring and stupid problems.

Try comparing for example Iceman and Pyro with Nightcrawler or Jean Grey. Dont bring the tween BS into Xmen any more than it already is.... :(

Glen Compton:

shiajun:

Go reread Uncanny x-men #102. Storm is HALF kenyan, born in new york and raised in harlem before they moved back to her mother's home country which was kenya. Her father was an american journalist.
Nothing about an american actress would be completely out of character for her.

I didn't remember that tiny detail. I also did some googling.Indeed, she was born in the US but the whole family moved to Cairo at the tender age of 6 months old. Ororo didn't set a foot back in a native english country until she was much, much older. Her native english father also died when she was very, very young. I say all this because in the comics she was also written with some kind of not-native details in the dialogue, like Gambit's creole text, or Colossus's russian words peppered throughout. I have no problem with the actress being american, just with there not being a hint that most of Storm's life and upbringing had nothing to do with the United States and molded a different personality that what has come into the movies. I'm not surprised though, with Fox's now legendary reworking of these characters.

Casual Shinji:
I don't know, I like the rogue Mystique, the person who's not really on anyone's side but her own. Having her be Charles' adoptive sister just felt like a contrived way of putting a popular character from the previous movies back in the new ones.

It also makes her seem like a total moron in Days of Future Past for wanting to kill Trask knowing it'll basically bring forth the apocalypse. Maybe this could've worked if she herself got caught and tortured by Trask, but as is she just comes across like a pouty teenager.

Hmm, perhaps her being on her own side could work still. Even though, for an origin of her being Xavier's "sister" was fine with me, then growing into the distrusting person she is now as the conclusion.

As for Trask I think that's a little unfair, we have the knowledge of knowing the outcome of her actions she doesn't. She's bitter, and angry and wants mutants free of being chained. To her Trask is the problem, getting rid of him solves said problem. An incorrect assessment on her part but she doesn't seem to be thinking terribly rationally at that point. Well with what I can remember anyways, it's been a while since I've seen the movie.

008Zulu:

Olas:

Someone like Iceman could lower the temperature to near freezing in a wide area, that's slow him him.

Yaaaa.... suuure.....

Even if I accept what I'm guessing is comic book physics, you're basically just fixing the problem that his powers cause by using someone else's powers to cancel them out. His whole thing is that he's fast, if we have to find some gimmick to slow him down every time then why even bother with him?

I think Quicksolver's probably going to suffer the same fate as nightcrawler, being shelved because, despite how cool he is, his powers are simply OP and solve every problem far too easily.

shiajun:

I didn't remember that tiny detail. I also did some googling.Indeed, she was born in the US but the whole family moved to Cairo at the tender age of 6 months old. Ororo didn't set a foot back in a native english country until she was much, much older. Her native english father also died when she was very, very young. I say all this because in the comics she was also written with some kind of not-native details in the dialogue, like Gambit's creole text, or Colossus's russian words peppered throughout. I have no problem with the actress being american, just with there not being a hint that most of Storm's life and upbringing had nothing to do with the United States and molded a different personality that what has come into the movies. I'm not surprised though, with Fox's now legendary reworking of these characters.

Well, further to that point I would say it is easier to readapt to an accent you previously had, Harlem also has a distinct accent, and it probably would stand out as well.

I actually just finished filling in a couple of those issues in my collection, including 102, so it was in the front of my mind. Also it is the first issue to really explore her as a character, and I really liked it!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here