Meet The All-Female Ghostbusters Team

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Meet The All-Female Ghostbusters Team

Paul Feig knows who to call for the all-female Ghostbusters cast.

Last October, Bridesmaids director Paul Feig confirmed he was attached to a very ambitious project: A Ghostbusters reboot starring an all-female cast. Outside of the obvious excitement for a new Ghostbusters movie, the real question was which actresses would ultimately don proton packs and fight the supernatural. While negotiations are still underway, four strong candidates have emerged: Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon.

Wiig and McCarthy have both worked together before, most notably for their breakout roles in Bridesmaids. Jones and McKinnon, meanwhile, are current players on Saturday Night Live. The four are expected to sign on for filming this summer in New York City. While The Hollywood Reporter states that negotiations are still underway, Feig himself tweeted an image of the cast suggesting that the decision is much farther along.

The original Ghostbusters series followed a team of misfit scientists turned ghost exterminators who investigate and purge supernatural activity throughout New York. Attempts to produce a third movie were ongoing for years, until Harold Ramis tragic demise seemingly put a stop to it. At the moment, this new film's plot is expected to have no connection to the previous two movies.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

Oh look, there's the obligatory black guy girl. Seeing as we're all playing the SJW card on this issue, couldn't they at least made it more diverse?

The SJW within me can tolerate that there might have been some sentiment of positive discrimination in a 1980s film. Why should they follow this when they seem to be on a course to fuck-up every Ghostbusters was?

so the team consist of the old, the black, the model and the fat girl plus that logo is so tacky

Man, you guys are killing my bingo card. I predicted somebody was going to complain about "age", "race", "gender", and "body size", but I thought for sure it would be at LEAST a few more posts.

Hopefully this will be more than just Distaff Counterparts...

Ugh, cant' say i've ever been happy with their work but w/e guess I'm not the target audience.

As much as the mere idea of this movie was already an unappetizing prospect for me, if the humour is going to be anything like the "female humour" from Bridesmaids, I think I might actively hate it before it's even released.

Why does the logo have the pink venus sign? The original didn't have a blue mars sign.
Unless they openly want to tell everyone that the default humans have been replaced with female humans in a desperate attempt to revive a dead franchise.
At least they didn't put an X in the title.

But Why? There is no demand for this.

Piorn:

Unless they openly want to tell everyone that the default humans have been replaced with female humans in a desperate attempt to revive a dead franchise.

A movie studio would never do that. They are benevolent organisations with steadfast principles and would never dream of messing with a beloved franchise for monetary gain.

*spasming wink*

I like this casting because they have gone beyond having just a few pretty faces play the lead cast and have it be "Mean Girls with Ghosts". They have cast talented actresses and not gone with a sucker punch style "boobs and guns" choice of cast. Think about it guys. It could have been a lot worse. I say well done!

To the people complaining about having a black character retcon - its 2015! Get off the horse carriage in your cotton plantation!

Trishbot:
Man, you guys are killing my bingo card. I predicted somebody was going to complain about "age", "race", "gender", and "body size", but I thought for sure it would be at LEAST a few more posts.

You win "The Escapist" for the week.

I'm also looking forward to someone getting angry when they discover that all 4 of them are heterosexual.

I fully expected McCarthy and Wiig to be cast. Can't say I've heard of the other two though. I wish them luck.

Piorn:
Why does the logo have the pink venus sign? The original didn't have a blue mars sign.

Is that an official image from the studio? Or just something the Escapist or somebody shopped together?

Could be good, probably wont be. I won't be holding my breath for anything spectacular even if this actually ends up taking off and becoming a real movie.

lmao i guess I'll be the positive one! I'm excited for this! All of those ladies are way talented, and I can see them doing very well in the Ghostbusters universe. Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones are honestly the only people keeping SNL alive for me, Melissa McCarthy is always fantastic and has a good range outside of comedy too! Whig has never really been my cup of tea, but she must be doing something right to be as well known as she is.

Idk yes i suppose it seems gimmicky that they're all women now (especially in fucking Hollywood where anyone who isn't a white man has to justify their existence), but you know what? I'll put up with some gimmick if it means I can get a damn movie centered on women that isn't a cheap romance. Better still that this movie is going to be aiming to be like one of the classics. Even if it falls short, at least I'll know someone put effort in.

Neeckin:

Actually I think there's been demand for another ghostbuster's movie, but given Harold Ramis' death that shot down any plans for Ghostbusters with the original cast.

I don't think there's been a demand for "All Female Ghostbusters" though. But it's gonna fail. "Because it's an all female cast isn't it!" No because no Ghostbusters project as worked out since Ghostbusters 2(And even THEN it's debatable if Ghostbusters 2 succeeded.)

Omey:
To the people complaining about having a black character retcon - its 2015! Get off the horse carriage in your cotton plantation!

Really? Haven't seen people complaining about black character retcon. Though who's she playing(I didn't see who's playing who just the cast picture). I mean for all we know she could be playing Ernie Hudson's character or assigned slot(the funny rookie character).

Ihateregistering1:

I'm also looking forward to someone getting angry when they discover that all 4 of them are heterosexual.

Kate McKinnon is actually not! She's a Lesbian. Her first big part was on "The Big Gay Sketch Show" too, just in case there was any doubt.

So Wiig as the protagonist, Jones as the tough black woman, McKinnon as the ditzy pretty one and McCarthy as the funny one? Inspired, truly.

To be clear here, I'm not bitching about diversity but I'll eat my own face if they don't all fall into those particular archetypes.

MerlinCross:

Neeckin:

Actually I think there's been demand for another ghostbuster's movie, but given Harold Ramis' death that shot down any plans for Ghostbusters with the original cast.

I don't think there's been a demand for "All Female Ghostbusters" though. But it's gonna fail. "Because it's an all female cast isn't it!" No because no Ghostbusters project as worked out since Ghostbusters 2(And even THEN it's debatable if Ghostbusters 2 succeeded.)

The fact that it will have no impute from anyone involved with the original tells me this will just be brides maids but with ghosts. Which they could have done without dragging the actual ghost of the Ghostbusters franchise into this.
I bet there will be fat and fart jokes

Why do they have to do a fucking reboot, just make the characters part of a side-franchise, not try to screw with identities. Why do they always have to change identities of existing characters?

Hollywood can't write for crap, especially when it comes to reboots. The humor won't be there, mixed in with the occassionally dark scare, and we'll have to deal with "those people" who will call everyone a bigot when it sucks.

Sweet I love McKinnon in SNL.

mad825:
Oh look, there's the obligatory black guy girl. Seeing as we're all playing the SJW card on this issue, couldn't they at least made it more diverse?

The SJW within me can tolerate that there might have been some sentiment of positive discrimination in a 1980s film. Why should they follow this when they seem to be on a course to fuck-up every Ghostbusters was?

Uh, I have to admit I never watched Ghostbusters from front to end, but wasn't the team three white people and one black person? People already flip their shit over the concept of women playing ghostbusters, there being one more PoS would've just brought even more complaining...then agian it looks like people are not gonna be happy with this movie no matter what happens.

I don't know what point I'm trying to make

As much as I love the Ghostbusters movies... I really don't want to see this made, ever.
I'd rather have two good movies that are old then 2 good oldies followed by a cringe inducing unfunny one years later trying to "recapture the magic" or whatever.

And it's not the fact that it's an all female team or that they're fat/black/old whatever, it's just the fact that they're completely unfunny, plus Feig's recent work also doesn't inspire confidence of this being any good.

Considering Harold Ramis passed away last year, I'm wondering if they were just waiting for one of the original cast members to croak before greenlighting this reboot.

TheRightToArmBears:
So Wiig as the protagonist, Jones as the tough black woman, McKinnon as the ditzy pretty one and McCarthy as the funny one? Inspired, truly.

To be clear here, I'm not bitching about diversity but I'll eat my own face if they don't all fall into those particular archetypes.

Close. McCarthy is the funny fat one.

Which means all of the humor around her will be "Look at how fat she is! She's eating way too much! Did we mention she's fat? FAT!"

1. If they wanted to increase diversity why not have a mixed gender team to show true modern day sensibilities on equality?
2. Since 2 of them were involved in Bridesmaids I expect the 'comedy' to be utterly utterly awful and cringe inducing (even if individually they are decent comedians) and will put it in the same barrel of rotten apples that includes movies like The Hangover.

Well if you are going to reboot something that doesn't need it, you might as well come with an interesting hook (Looking at you Robocop Reboot. You POS.) Hopefully the black lady won't be as blatantly tacked on as the Black guy was in the original film.

Scorpid:
Well if you are going to reboot something that doesn't need it, you might as well come with an interesting hook (Looking at you Robocop Reboot. You POS.) Hopefully the black lady won't be as blatantly tacked on as the Black guy was in the original film.

Don't go and say Ernie was just tacked on. He provided a few good chuckles and none of the jokes had anything to do with him being black. Him being black didn't even come into play in the original. Well, unless you take his "I DON'T CARE SO LONG AS I GET PAID" as some kind of black guy stereotype.

OT:

And so launches the countdown to more people getting really sick of this kind of crap coming from movies. So how long before we have a rehash of the food poisoning/Taco Bell "joke" from Bridesmaids? You know it's gonna happen, probably involving Slimer reimagined as some kind of toilet-bound ghost.

I really, really hope that this isn't just "female humour", with strong sassy female leads complainin' 'bout those lazy hunks of useless mancandy trash piles, while the strong sassy female leads are sassing it up doing irrelevant things while the authors are running on red bull and news reports of public bra-burnings.

Or... something.

Could be good. Probably won't be. Is there, like, anyone who wants this? With more contemporary modern views, it could be a more interesting look at Ghostbusters and maybe even film and racial and gender stereotypes from the original's era... or it could just be really shit.

Or it could not be. Or it could not not be. We'll just have to wait and see. And then regret.

"At the moment, this new film's plot is expected to have no connection to the previous two movies."

Then, will it be connected to the Filmation's TV series? Will Tracey have his chance on the big screen?

Neeckin:

Why do you think they made a sequel way back in the day.
Mmmmmmmoooonnnnnnneeeeeyyyyyyy

I want to be on board with this. I want to be excited for a new Ghostbusters.

But I can't. I just....can't.

It's not the all-female cast that gets me. I'm absolutely for that. I love that idea, though I'm not entirely sold on this cast reveal. It's not even that it's a reboot. Some reboots work and are as good or better than the originals.

No. What gets me is that Paul Feig is writing and directing. The guy's the definition of hit-or-miss[1]. And for me, even his hits are bad.

Now, had a better writer and/or director been involved like, say, Edgar Wright, I'd be incredibly hyped for this film. As it is?

[1] With far more in the "miss" category.

Hey look, it's White Lead, Sassy Black, Ditzy Blonde and Funny Fatso! How progressive.

I'll at-least wait for a trailer to come out before I decide my overall opinion. Look, maybe it'll be good or maybe it won't and while trailers can lie I want to at-least see what kind of humor they're gonna go with for this reboot.

Until then, I'm just gonna sit back and wait before I decide if this is gonna be worse than a modern Shyamalan movie or if i can permit some iota of excitement.

Hilarious. You know this move was made for one type of person. I'll give you a hint, it usually looks like the one on the far right of the image.

I can't wait until tumblr can't decide if this film is the greatest thing ever, striking down the "patriarchy" or "problematic" as hell. They never can decide these days.

Aaaand thanks to Melissa McCarthy, I won't be seeing this. At all. Sorry, just don't like her style, her choice of jokes and such. I'm not very forgiving towards folks who thinks its humorous to equate painful disabilities with "its all in your head" and as such have boycotted any movie or show she happens to be in.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.