Report: Disney is Eyeing Chris Pratt to be The Next Indiana Jones

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Report: Disney is Eyeing Chris Pratt to be The Next Indiana Jones

chris pratt

Disney has reportedly set it's sights on Guardians of the Galaxy star Chris Pratt to be the next Indiana Jones.

Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford. That's one of those things that just is. But, what if he wasn't? Disney, having bought the rights to the franchise back in 2013, is now looking at capitalizing on it with a new movie, and poor Mr. Ford is getting a bit too old to be sprinting through ancient Mayan temples and swinging across chasms with his whip. So what's the solution? Get a new guy to play the good Doctor. Specifically, Disney is reportedly looking at Parks and Recreation and Guardians of the Galaxy's Chris Pratt to fill his shoes.

The report comes from Deadline, which stresses that no deals or discussions have taken place yet, and it is just a very early rumor.

However, that's not to say it doesn't make absolutely perfect sense. Pratt made a name for himself as Parks and Rec's resident lovable doofus Andy Dwyer, before proving himself to be a viable action hero in Guardians of the Galaxy. His portrayal as Starlord certainly fits the kind of bill that Indiana Jones would call for.

Reportedly, Disney aims to build a whole new franchise around Pratt, turning the "Indiana Jones" persona into an almost James Bond-like multi-actor role.

Thankfully, there has been no mention of the studio approaching Kingdom of the Crystal Skull co-star, Shia LeBeouf, who played Indy's illegitimate son. Although to be fair, he did retire from public life last year...

Source: Deadline

i could actually see that.

if they are going to have one it sounds like an excellent choice.

i'd say its is an "action/comedy" role (like in Guardians) and there are actually very few who have ever really straddled that line well.

Chris, from what little i have seen of him, straddles it very well.

I can't even remember LeBeouf in that Indiana Jones film, and I'd like to say I can (sadly) remember quite a lot of it. Granted I don't ever want to revisit any of his other work lest it ruin my impression of him from Sia's "Elastic Heart" music video (and he comes off as an arse whenever he talks about that as well). EDIT: And from Fury, too. Gosh I feel compelled to not hate him.

I suppose I should look up Pratt's other work. I couldn't stand him (or rather, his character) at all in Guardians, but perhaps other films can redeem it.

How did I miss Disney buying out Indiana Jones? Did they get it as part of their Star Wars package, or was it a separate deal?

ugh...

Why not just come up with an original dungeon-delving explorer/treasure hunter guy?

I wouldn't mind seeing Pratt in that. Why rehash Indie...

webkilla:
ugh...

Why not just come up with an original dungeon-delving explorer/treasure hunter guy?

so we can do an Indy/Lara crossover starring Jennifer Lawrence obviously ;P

I'm not so sure about this. I think Pratt is a fantastic actor, but Indy needs to be a bit more on the "sarcastic asshole" side of the spectrum; Pratt is just a bit too nice, a bit too softspoken. If we're looking at people Disney has already used in Marvel Cinematic Universe, why not Robert Downey Jr.? Maybe he's a bit on the old side, especially if they wanna make a new franchise out of it, but I can't think of many actors who could really nail Indy quite as well.

Soviet Heavy:
How did I miss Disney buying out Indiana Jones? Did they get it as part of their Star Wars package, or was it a separate deal?

They bought LucasFilm. This was included.

P.S. Thanks

Soviet Heavy:

Disney bought lucasfilm and everything they own is now Disney which is mainly SW and Indiana Jones (oh and willow and labyrinth).

We do not need another Indiana Jones film let alone a whole new franchise (which is what Disney wants) Indiana Jones is not a universe it's a character letting things end is good let it go Disney, just let it go.

Eh. An Indy reboot was inevitable, let's just be thankful they cast someone decent in the role. It could have been so much worse. So much worse...

They are just playing to his role in GOTG - and he was great in that. But the why not get Nathan Fillion to play that role, his role in Firefly was the same as Starlord. Im ok with Pratt as Indiana and i can image how great he would be in that role. Just questioning the reasoning behind their choice.

Please, Chris, no.
Please don't let them do this.
Don't let them move forward using you.
You're better than this.
Please.

I have never been a fan of this show but this clip perfectly sums up my feelings on this news

To be clear this is not about Chris Pratt, this is about a Indy reboot.

Gizmo1990:
To be clear this is not about Chris Pratt, this is about a Indy reboot.

they already set about "rebooting" Indy and it was/is horrific both in its existence and future implication (labeouf "Indy" movies).

As much as I'm liking Chris after his great work in The Lego Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy, seeing as how he's also going to be in the Jurassic Park film, I'm thinking it's probably getting to be a bit much.

I'm not thrilled about a reboot or re-imagining or expansion of Indiana Jones, but at least it's not the Beouf in the starring role. He's just intolerable to me. Although, I think Bradly Cooper would have been a good choice.

Also, if Disney is going to make more Indy films, they should be untold tales of adventures between the other movies ala Mad Max: Fury Road (I think that's what they're doing with that. Whatever happened between Mad Max and Road Warrior). Sort of a "Tales of Indiana Jones" happening wherever in the timeline, but not overwriting any existing stories.

webkilla:
ugh...

This. Why why why, WHY cant they just do this?

Of any leading man in Hollywood today I can see him as Indy, also He's doing a good job of quickly trying to find another great character to play to avoid just being Star Lord, kind of like how Harrison Ford avoided being typecast by being both Indy and Han.

I'm actually ok with this. He is a talented, charismatic actor that would fit the part perfectly.

He can do it. Star Lord is pretty much a space Indiana Jones.

Well, he's probably the best option, and I'd rather see a new actor then face another Crystul Skull. That movie was just...I don't want to talk about it.

No.

NO

NOOOOO!!!!

Hollywood needs to stop rebooting everything that was ever popular and focus on trying to make new things to be popular. I'm getting seriously sick of all these reboots and unwarranted sequels.

It was already annoying but now it's just getting downright pathetic.

webkilla:
ugh...

Yes.
Seriously.
Some things need to be left to RIP.

Think of something new, but don't put a new guy into an Indiana Jones costume.

Why not just make a new franchise with a similar premise? Why does it have to be reboots. Do things with previously unknown titles just not do well?

This could be fun. From interviews I have seen with Steven Spielberg, he never meant Harrison Ford to be Indy, but for the Hat, Jacket, and Whip to be Indy. it was an homage to the series adventure stories he grew up watching. I could really see Indy being Jame Bond or Dr. Who like character that gets changed up every so often.

Seems logical, he basically already played Han Solo.

At the same time I can sort of chime in with everyone who's saying that a reboot feels unnecessary. Indiana Jones doesn't have so much lore tied to it that they couldn't do just as well with a new treasure hunter movie franchise. Possibly even better, since they'd be more free to come up with new cool stuff. Then again it wouldn't draw in half as much money as an Indy reboot, so I guess that's too much to hope for.

Also, as much as I didn't like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I actually kind of liked Shia LeBeuf's character in it. I wouldn't have minded seeing him leading an Indiana Jones movie. It be different for sure, but maybe that's why the thought intrigues me ^^

I could see this. I think Chris would make an excellent Indy. He certainly has the onscreen charisma, good comedic timing, and he proved his action movie chops with GotG. I can easily imagine him in a scene like this.

am I the only one who wants to see Sean Patrick Flannery take a shot ant an adult Indy? he did allright as a teenager

I think that he could actually pull off a pretty good Indy.

And as someone who really liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (it wasn't the worst of the bunch IMHO), as well as LeBeouf's character, even I don't think he would have been a great fit for the hat and whip.

Well, at worst, he's still a better pick than LeBouff for this role.

As for the reboot itself, while I'd prefer they did an original Indy-inspired character, I understand that they want some extra security from brand recognition and I'm fine with that. As long as they make it good...

He could do it, but I'd honestly rather see no one do it. Didn't Kingdom of the Crystal Skull teach these people anything? I guess we'll never see the end of the constant reboots and rehashes of once beloved franchises...

Hmno. How about no. Because no, no, no, no.
Better than Shia. But still, no.

I've heard of worse ideas. I'm gonna give this a tentative thumbs up for now.

I'd actually like to seen Jensen Ackles as Indy. I think he could pull it off great. He's got the looks, he can be serious, he can be funny and he looks great in leather jackets.
If I were the producers, I'd seriously consider him.

Silentpony:
I'd actually like to seen Jensen Ackles as Indy. I think he could pull it off great. He's got the looks, he can be serious, he can be funny and he looks great in leather jackets.

This^

This a million times....

or get him for the Uncharted movie :)

Silentpony:

Or Bradley Cooper. I know a lot of people dislike him for some reason, but he's basically Harrison Ford of our generation.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here