Time to Watch the Leaked Game of Thrones Season Five Trailer - Update

Time to Watch the Leaked Game of Thrones Season Five Trailer - Update

It's a trailer, so do I really need to warn you about spoilers?

Update: We've replaced the original, phone-captured trailer with something a little more official-looking. Enjoy!

Original Story: The season five trailer for Game of Thrones has been posted online ahead of schedule, thanks to a YouTuber with a quick trigger finger.

Last night, HBO organized several Game of Thrones season four finale IMAX screenings across the country. After showing the last two episodes of the season, a trailer was shown for season five, laying out the groundwork for what we can expect starting on April 12th.

So yeah, plenty of spoilers ahead for the non-book-reading crowd. If you're the media blackout type when it comes to shows and movies, I wouldn't recommend touching the Play button up top.

Along with the season premiere of Game of Thrones, April 12 could also serve as the launch date for standalone HBO streaming. There's still no word on pricing, but with Netflix still rocking the $9 per month pricetag, there is certainly marketplace pressure to keep the cable-free version of HBO relatively cheap.

Source: YouTube

Looks good, but a lack of Victarion? Tell me I don't have to wait until Season 6...

Elsa Mars (Jessica Lange) sang the song better IMO. The sense of tragedy was more palpable. Can't wait to see the official release though, the *recorded from another screen" sound and picture leaves something to be desired.

Verlander:
Looks good, but a lack of Victarion? Tell me I don't have to wait until Season 6...

Sadly, it seems like no Iron Islands/Greyjoy at all. They have enough with the addition of Dorne (and do some weird things with that also).

Seems like they also cut a certain someone Tyrion meets in the books.

So are there any people left that watch the series that actually haven't read the books yet?

Not trying to be a snob/hipster/whatever, I just find it weird that people still worry themselves about 'spoilers' like this when the source material is easy to find and relatively cheap. Even if you don't have the dosh to click over to Amazon there's a few hundred-thousand pdf files that Google, Yahoo or (God help you) Bing will direct you to with a few short keystrokes and a few clicks of the mouse.

josh4president:
So are there any people left that watch the series that actually haven't read the books yet?

Not trying to be a snob/hipster/whatever, I just find it weird that people still worry themselves about 'spoilers' like this when the source material is easy to find and relatively cheap. Even if you don't have the dosh to click over to Amazon there's a few hundred-thousand pdf files that Google, Yahoo or (God help you) Bing will direct you to with a few short keystrokes and a few clicks of the mouse.

I've never read them and never plan to (even being a fantasy genre buff). I just don't particularly care for how their written, but the way the story is captured in show is super engaging.

josh4president:

I haven't and I won't ever as the book series will never be finished but the TV series will and it will be different enough that I don't want to be disappointed by missing or changed scenes.

I was tempted to read the series years ago but like I do before starting any book series I research the rate of books coming out and the age/health of the author took one look at GRRM and said nope not until it is finished if ever (my money's on never).

Yeah, I'm not seeing too much that follows the thread of the book. Some, but not much.

So begins another six months of hype, disappointment and lamentation, for me anyway.

Not much of the one true king in the trailer, so we're not off to a good start. I'm sure HBO will continue to butcher his character and waste Stephen Dillane's acting prowess.

I am liking that Jonathan Pryce voice over though. Glad to see they managed to cast him.

the silence:

Verlander:

Sadly, it seems like no Iron Islands/Greyjoy at all. They have enough with the addition of Dorne (and do some weird things with that also).

P-89 Scorpion:

I haven't and I won't ever as the book series will never be finished but the TV series will and it will be different enough that I don't want to be disappointed by missing or changed scenes.

I was tempted to read the series years ago but like I do before starting any book series I research the rate of books coming out and the age/health of the author took one look at GRRM and said nope not until it is finished if ever (my money's on never).

And with Martin's publisher saying not to expect Book 6 this year, it looks like the show will be finished before the books. It's times like this where I wish someone would give the old man a kick in the ass and tell him to just hurry up.

I've read the books, but I'm still really bothered by this trailer. Talk about spoilers. I'll hide my main grievance in case someone saw it but didn't appreciate the gravity (book 5 spoiler below):

Yojoo:
I've read the books, but I'm still really bothered by this trailer. Talk about spoilers. I'll hide my main grievance in case someone saw it but didn't appreciate the gravity (book 5 spoiler below):

Well...

ZiggyE:

Yojoo:

Well...

Updated video, now with better quality Melisandre BEWBS!!

Yojoo:

ZiggyE:

Yojoo:

Well...

Verlander:

There's so many new point of view characters and there's so much going on at once that they have to cut something and put it in other seasons. I'm lucky I see some proof that at least the main storylines they're gonna show are my favourite ones, but I guess not everyone is. But they're going to leave out Brann's bits next bits too apparently.

You can't really expect them to show it all at once, with basically 1500-ish pages taking place at the same time.

But my guess is that they're at least going to lead up to Victarion and show

I'm also very happy to see a large focus on the Martell and Tyrion chapters, because I just love Dorne and everything on Essos. I think that for the Martells we're gonna see most of what happens with them, as in the end not a whole lot happens, and for Tyrion I think we'll see

I'm also very happy that we're going to see 'Queen' Cersei and Merreen

Also, Jon

Yeah this is going to be a really awesome season. If people thought shit was hitting the fan already, oh man...

Cowabungaa:

I'm also very happy to see a large focus on the Martell and Tyrion chapters, because I just love Dorne and everything on Essos. I think that for the Martells we're gonna see most of what happens with them, as in the end not a whole lot happens, and for Tyrion I think we'll see

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Seems they'll be speeding up Tyrion's ADWD arc quite a bit this season, beyond what they've covered in the books, suggesting the Griffs and Penny are cut or heavily changed.

Trailers are never leaked, they're released by fake accounts run by marketing companies

ZiggyE:
le snip

Holy shitballs, that picture is fo' real?! It was obvious they strayed off-course from the book a bit, but at least the central storylines were always intact. Seems like they're even forgoing that now. That's a huge change right there. That does however explain the tiny bit in the trailer featuring Mormont fighting in what seems to be a Merreen fighting pit. I was already wondering what was up with that.

josh4president:

+1 Never read books and don't plan to, especially as I often get the vibe from those who read the books that they tend to get angry about changes the show makes and seem to watch the show more out of masochism then because they actually enjoy it.

So in the interests of keeping my blood pressure low, I only "might" read the books after the show is done, preferably when the books are finally all finished (which apparently will be long after the show ends, another source of stress for book readers it seems).

Having read the books, I'm actually pretty excited for their changes to the story line in the TV show, particularly with Tyrion meeting someone he never did in a place he never did based on that leaked set photo. With so much detail cut from the books, the stories aren't the same, they've become two separate universes in a way, each heading their own direction based on their own characters. I mean, Tyrion having a bro hug with his big bro in the sho is a pretty huge difference on its own, enough to kinda drastically change Tyrion as a character from his book counterpart. Tyrion hates every single Lannister in the books, especially his brother, and that bitterness has led him on some very different paths than a Tyrion still holding on to some love and trust might take. To me, it's two works of art telling a more natural story based on their own unique characters and following their path based on their unique beliefs and complex ideals and personality. To me, it's storytelling at its most beautiful and natural, letting the story unfold as it may based on the unique world state and characters it holds.

Man fuck this show. I understand that there are going to be differences from the source material, I understand that you have to cut some stuff, I understand that everyone has their own interpretations of characters. And even understanding all that; I still don't know what the fuck the writers were thinking last season. And it's looking to be even worse this season. If you enjoy the show and have never read the books, more power to you, keep enjoying it, I don't think I can anymore.

They have this huge and complex story with all these moving parts and they choose to waste an episodes worth of screen time on narratively empty action beats. They turn consensual sex scenes into rape scenes, hell they generally just add rape scenes all over the place. They misinterpret a character so badly as to make all of her actions from a certain point forward nonsensical. They cut and cut and cut and since they generally know what is going to happen courtesy of Martin you can extrapolate spoilers without even meaning too. They add things not yet addressed in the book (such as the Night King being a major player, instead of just a myth) effectively spoiling books not yet released. They fuck with the timelines so much that while half their cast is almost done with their narrative arcs, others haven't even been addressed. They take a vivid and fantastic world and put a veneer of grime and shit on it. Gone are the extravagant and flamboyant costumes and characters described in the books, no Tyroshi or golden antler'd helms to be found here. Every character is flattened into a trope instead of a multi dimensional person- Cersei is only a bitch instead of a powerful and clever woman with some subtlety. Catelyn is a nice mommy, it'd be impossible for her to be a good mother AND absolutely hate the bastard son her husband forced her to live with for fifteen years. Shae couldn't be a woman in a shit situation with excellent survival instincts- no it's True Love (tm). Robb Stark is a lovesick idiot who destroys his entire house because he couldn't keep his dick in his pants, instead of a man who makes an understandable mistake in the depths of grief and refused to dishonor a woman, in doing so dooming himself to death by excess of honor, just as his father did. There is no Ellaria Sand, Dorn is now apparently a patriarchy for no reason instead of the Elder monarchy depicted in the books. The Sand snakes look terrible, they've once again taken colorful and unique characters and stuck them all in identical leather jerkins, just like everyone else wears.

I could honestly go on for awhile. I quite enjoyed the first few seasons and managed to stomach whatever little narrative failings they committed, but it's death by a thousand cuts, as it goes. It's all too much. In my opinion the show is an inferior product. And I do love the books, I'd put them right up there with the Chronicles of the Black Company and the Abhorsen Trilogy in terms of my all time favorite fantasy. It's wonderful to see a favorite fantasy series get a big budget adaptation, but it's disappointing as all hell when it doesn't measure up. I'd like to hear from people who've consumed both the books and the shows as to how you feel they compare, if at all possible. Personally I'd really wish they'd just gone the route of The Walking Dead, and just done something completely different but loosely related, as I am a huge fan of those books as well as the show, I just see them as two different beasts.

Unfortunately, when you have the same characters doing roughly the same things in the same locations, just without nearly as much nuance or quality storytelling, I find it impossible to separate the two.

ZiggyE:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Seems they'll be speeding up Tyrion's ADWD arc quite a bit this season, beyond what they've covered in the books, suggesting the Griffs and Penny are cut or heavily changed.

Sight Unseen:

the silence:

Verlander:

This looks almost exactly the same as the last season. This show is so comfortable doing what it's done before(killing main characters and introducing new ones, only to be killed themselves, repeat ad infinitum), without establishing anything of substance or any significant change, that I stopped caring. Arya(whom I like) has been on the run for so long that I find myslef not giving a damn if she lives or dies, or becomes whatever. And now it looks like Tyrion is gonna be doing the same. OK, cool, this is going to be fascinatingly dull.

Angelous Wang:

Sight Unseen:

the silence:

Yojoo:

Methodia Chicken:

ZiggyE:

Yeah, I wanted to point out the same thing. That photo looks a lot more like a behind the scenes look than a screenshot from the rehearsals.

I finally read it all so bring it on, theres no spoilers for me!! (unless its stuff that was changed from the series, but i dont care about that).
Now, lets wait another 5 years for the next book, YAY!

It's interesting that the t.v series is now starting to spoil what will happen in the books, for example

I think the series is better written than the books. Not going to lament Martin's seeming inability to complete them.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm glad they're doing things differently from the books. It makes it more exciting when I genuinely am unsure of what's going to happen next. Not only that, it means that if the show does get ahead of the books (it already has as far as showing us more about the White Walkers), then we'll likely have two different stories in the end. I'm sure the endings themselves will probably be similar, but I still find this exciting.

Also, to be fair, a lot of the stuff they're skipping hasn't come to be THAT important yet... Maybe that means the plots they're ignoring don't actually end up having a big enough impact on the overall story. Maybe it just means they're going in a different direction. Either way, I'm fairly optimistic.

That temple at the end looks almost exactly like the temple at the end of The Beastmaster. Are there any ferrets in season five?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.