All Female A-Force Replaces The Avengers

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

All Female A-Force Replaces The Avengers

a-force 1

In the wake of Marvel Comics Secret Wars, an all-female superhero team called A-Force will rise from The Avengers ashes.

While details about Secret Wars are still being released, one thing is clear: It's quickly becoming the biggest shake-up to Marvel Comics in almost a decade. We already knew it would act as a reboot to the Marvel Universe and end the Ultimate Comics line. But another major impact, at least in the short term, is that The Avengers will be no more. Instead, Marvel's iconic team will be replaced with an all-female superhero team called A-Force, consisting of heroes like She-Hulk, Jean Grey, Spider-Woman, Rogue, and more.

For the past two years, Iron Man and fellow heroes have desperately tried to prevent the destruction of Earth, but only managed to combine every parallel Marvel universe into one. Somehow, this will leave Earth without its biggest superhero team, during a time when continuities like Age of Apocalypse and Marvel Zombies threaten everyone. In response, female superheroes from seemingly all Marvel universes team up as the A-Force, and if the cover is anything to go on She-Hulk will be team leader.

"She-Hulk, Dazzler, Medusa, Nico Minoru and other fan favorites, will take charge," series co-writer G. Willow Wilson explained. "We've purposefully assembled a team composed of different characters from disparate parts of the Marvel U, with very different power sets, identities and ideologies."

To be clear, it's incredibly unlikely that A-Force will be a permanent replacement to The Avengers, especially with Age of Ultron soon hitting theaters. But the concept of uniting women from a near-infinite number of parallel universe has great potential for whatever direction Marvel takes when Secret Wars ends this year.

A-Force will be co-written by G. Willow Wilson and Marguerite K. Bennett, with art from Jorge Molina. Issue #1 will be published this May.

Source: Marvel

Huh... kinda bold. I liked Fearless Defenders so might give it a shot. Kinda confused why its EXCLUSIVELY women but ehh.Marvels been trying it a lot lately.

Wow it's amazing how all those women have pretty much the exact same body type. Every color of the rainbow with pretty much every super power imaginable...but all the same build. Yay diversity!!

Ummm... so all of the male superheroes are dead, or what? Are there no male characters left at all?

Well, in all honesty, the most powerful characters in Marvel have often been women. The Phoenix, a being that is capable of joining with any host, prefers women almost exclusively. Then there's Mrs. Universe, the living embodiment of everything, everywhere. near infinite power. Her only caveat being that with universes breaking so often, she's gone a bit PTSD so is emotionally unstable. Of course, this being Marvel, they can't imply leave powerhouses like that sitting around like DC does. These are "big event" characters that only appear when sales need a boost. So they get pushed to the background, leaving the 6-month cycle events to the men.

I wonder how many of these characters will actually be from the 616 - I see a lot of classic costumes mixed up with more modern ones see: Jubilee, currently a vampire with an adopted kid, quite far from the fireworks-throwing teenager shown.

CaptainMarvelous:
Kinda confused why its EXCLUSIVELY women

Because they're trying to market to the girl-power crowd and the social justice crowd. If it had any male heroes, they'd have to play second-banana to the ladies, or it'd be described as "One man' using his patriarchal social dominance to control an entire harem of sexualized women" by the very people they are trying to market to.

Avaholic03:
Wow it's amazing how all those women have pretty much the exact same body type. Every color of the rainbow with pretty much every super power imaginable...but all the same build. Yay diversity!!

There's only a bit more diversity in male hero builds. There's basically "tough guy", "fast guy", and "huge guy" alongside a few weirdos.

I forsee literally no backlash or disgusted comments dripping with anger and irony coming from this decision.

OT: Top left, is that Mrs. Iron Man (Iron Woman?). I ask in all seriousness, I'm not overly familiar with the Marvel Universe, and I have no idea who that is.

Captcha: Market forces. So cynical captcha.

So, an all-girl team, AND it's being co-written by the author of the new Ms. Marvel series?

Color me interested.

Isalan:
I forsee literally no backlash or disgusted comments dripping with anger and irony coming from this decision.

OT: Top left, is that Mrs. Iron Man (Iron Woman?). I ask in all seriousness, I'm not overly familiar with the Marvel Universe, and I have no idea who that is.

I'm both furious *and* disgusted that this team isn't called the Femvengers.

OT

That cosmic entity standing next to She-Hulk seems like she might be a tad overpowered: can someone nerdier than me in this area fill me in with the juicy details?

Isalan:

Probably Pepper Potts as Rescue.

I'm looking forward to the day when a character being of a certain gender isn't newsworthy.

Seriously. An all female superhero team shouldn't be a sensation. It should just be one more in the pile.

Falterfire:

Isalan:

Probably Pepper Potts as Rescue.

I was wandering whether it might be Pepper. Thanks muchly for the info.

That green chick is supposed to be she-hulk?
She neither looks strong nor mad which is kind of essential for hulk smash grr shenanigans. Oh well.

Dragonlayer:

Isalan:
Snips

Not the XX-Men then? Or should I say, the XX-Not-Men.

I could go on, however I will spare you all that great indignity.

That's fairly contrived, admittedly in a genre that's chock-a-block with contrivances. Hopefully it can rise above that. Hopefully we can rise above the assumption that the tendency to make male "default" in some instances means that simply replacing male with female across the board is inherently a positive choice.

Isalan:

I don't know but its clear from the comments I've scrolled through indeed no one here knows fuck all about Marvel 616 so please, if they could, take their idiotic SJW/anti-SJW shit somewhere else until they actually read the fucking comics.

Marvel women come in all shapes and sizes, but guess what? Super heroes are traditionally, athletically built. Its not a fucking desk job. Get over it. Also no, theres about 20 all girl team ups a week this is nothing new and Marvel works its ass off to be as diverse as possible, why? Because it's fun. It's not for demographics or to fill some bi-law. They're just good fucking people.

Sorry to get so irate but I like the comics and don't like hearing ignorant statements thrown around about them.

Yeah its old pepper potts. I believe her superhero name is "rescue".

So it's like a no men allowed super hero club? Ok. Kinda taking a step back on equality but whatevs. It'll be interesting.

Isalan:

Dragonlayer:

Isalan:
Snips

Not the XX-Men then? Or should I say, the XX-Not-Men.

I could go on, however I will spare you all that great indignity.

Ironically, the current "X-Men" lineup is also all-female, with the guys split up between "Uncanny X-Men" and "Amazing X-Men".

Isalan:

That would be Pepper Potts in armor as Rescue, I think.

Should have called it the V-Force

I have nothing against well written female super teams. Heck DC has been doing it for years with Birds of Prey one of the all time best comics ever. But this just kinda reeks of something stupid from the marketing department in place of an actual well written attempt at broader and more diverse stories.

Oh and that armored girl is Pepper Potts in her Rescue armor. It's noteworthy features are it has no offensive weaponry and no two artists can ever draw the mask and helmet the same way twice. This might not be a problem with this artist since as others noted he draws every women pretty much identical and leaves the differentiation to the colorist. Same body types. Same faces. Same expressions.

Wait, I thought the reboot happened AFTER the new Secret War?

Also "A-Force"? What's the A stand for? Avengers? (Also no I'm not going for the immature/ sexist letter.)

Another thng, couldn't they had reused that team name "Lady Liberators" since that kind of relevent? Before you asked this team name, it was a one off thing (I think?) but reappear during Red Julk as She-Hulk reassemble the team to take down the Red Julk.

Lastly, who's Nico Minoru? Oh she's a menber of the Runaways (I read one of their graphic novels). So they decided to make them well that character relevent again despite they had vanish in the Marvel universe for a couple of years now.

One more thing (last one I swear)! Is that Spider-Swn I spy on the cover? Great so they are going to canon her well put her into the 616 universe (well ok I got no problem with that see how popular she had become and I do loved her costume design).

faefrost:
I have nothing against well written female super teams. Heck DC has been doing it for years with Birds of Prey one of the all time best comics ever. But this just kinda reeks of something stupid from the marketing department in place of an actual well written attempt at broader and more diverse stories.

Oh and that armored girl is Pepper Potts in her Rescue armor. It's noteworthy features are it has no offensive weaponry and no two artists can ever draw the mask and helmet the same way twice. This might not be a problem with this artist since as others noted he draws every women pretty much identical and leaves the differentiation to the colorist. Same body types. Same faces. Same expressions.

Ehh, give it a chance. I know recent events have given a lot of people reason to be cynical about this kind of thing, but it's ultimately better to wait for a final product before decrying it as a cynical cash grab trying to milk the SJW crowd or whether its honest attempt at someone wanting to tell an interesting story.

faefrost:

Given that Wilson - who's been putting out one of the best books on the stands with Ms. Marvel - is attached to co-write this, I'm going to remain optimistic for it being "well written" over being a "marketing ploy." And honestly, Marvel has been doing outright fantastic work with its female characters lately (the previously mentioned Ms. Marvel and deConnick's Captain Marvel being great examples).

That and it has Nico as a member. No marketing employee ever has looked at Runaways and said, "Oh yeah, this is where the money's at."

Okay, this seems like a cool idea, and a way to give seemingly side-characters (like the Wasp or Black Widow) a chance in the spotlight.
But then there's this line:

"She-Hulk, Dazzler, Medusa, Nico Minoru and other fan favorites, will take charge,"

Now, She-Hulk, Medusa, and even Nico have a following. But I don't know anyone crying out for Dazzler to head a team up. Unless she got far more interesting in the last couple years, there had to be another surviving female X-man alive (I dunno, Storm or Jean Grey from the image, possibly X-23) that's a stronger character. Unless Marvel was looking for someone Fox hadn't yet put into the X-Men films, in another attempt to avoid giving Fox publicity, but still...Dazzler?

In all seriousness, the author's proven himself with the new Ms. Marvel books, and it'll be cool to see these characters all tossed together. Also, seeing the different team styles conflict will be neat, as the X-Men nature of fighting is a tad different than the Avengers. Spider-Gwen getting put on a team is also pretty cool, and I hope Kumala Khan shows up even with classic Ms. Marvel. But it makes me wonder what happened to the males, because I sincerely hope it isn't "Men save the universe, women stay at home and clean up the Secret Wars mess." That'd be a bit of a PR problem.

Dazzler? Really?

For fuck sake. I don't want to support a Marvel continuity reboot because reboots are the biggest reason I can't stand reading DC comics (why the hell should I get invested in a character if everything I read stops being relevant in a year or two?), but G. Willow Wilson is a damn good writer. I may make an exception for this book.

Oh. Huh. Spider-Gwen is on this team.

Nothing else to say really. It's neat, but I always wait to pick up comics AFTER the reviews have come out, so I'll be withholding judgement.

I am so glad I don't bother to try and read comics. What a clusterfuck.

N-no Tigra?! Not even among the backround girls?! Has been around since the 70's!
Marvel you better have at least a slightly plausible reason for her absence.

It's kinda cheesy that they have to pretend they couldn't find any dudes to fill out the roster, particularly since this book looks like some old fan favorites are coming back, it would have been nice to spread the wealth around. Oh well.

Also, I'm not a fan of She-Hulk. I'd rather see Ms. Marvel or Storm take the lead role. Both are better characters.

I don't buy Marvel "Event" books any more. If they're interesting I'll get the trade, but they've been putting out a lot of garbage recently so I don't have high hopes.

That being said, I'm tentatively looking forward to the DareDevil series on NetFlicks. I've been following the Wade/Samnee DareDevil and it's by far the best book that Marvel puts out (which isn't saying a lot I know, but trust me, it's good).

Personally, I long for the days when I would have looked at this as just another theme oriented book coming out, but because of all the incessant gender politicking done by activists, even something as inoffensive as this comes off as yet another attempt to force feed us unwanted political agendas. We get it, there are girls in comic books, stop beating us over the head with it.

Dragonlayer:

That cosmic entity standing next to She-Hulk seems like she might be a tad overpowered: can someone nerdier than me in this area fill me in with the juicy details?

Curious about this one as well. That the Mrs Universe someone else mention?

Dragonlayer:

Isalan:

OT

Shinkicker444:
Curious about this one as well. That the Mrs Universe someone else mention?

Captain Universe. an extra-dimensional power that possesses individuals (right now, a woman) and makes them a superhero during major crisis events. It wouldn't surprise me if she's the one who pulls the A-Force together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Universe

Are their main stream good guy teams composed of men that exclude females?

I wonder how that would be taken....

BoogieManFL:
Are their main stream good guy teams composed of men that exclude females?

I wonder how that would be taken....

Nope, they usually have their token female. You think there'd be less bitching if there was one, solitary male member to this?

Anyway, as people who actually know anything about Marvel have already pointed out in this thread, we've already had an all-female X-Men team/ongoing series since 2012, and it's damned good... why is an all-female Avengers team in what is obviously a mini-series even news???

Smells like the same kind of pandering bullshit they tried with Avengers NOW! and the whole lady Thor garbage. Marvel just seems to be tripping over themselves to show just how gosh darn diverse they are. I almost expect at this point a multi issue story arc where "A Force" battles tirelessly for equal pay and government subsidized birth control.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here