After Success Of John Wick, Lionsgate Wants A Full-Blown Franchise

Pages 1 2 NEXT

After Success Of John Wick, Lionsgate Wants A Full-Blown Franchise

John Wick 310x

Several trips to The Continental Hotel appear to be in order.

Did you enjoy the puppy-avenging action stylings of John Wick? I certainly did, in no small part to the cast including several actors from The Wire...and Keanu being Keanu, of course. Lionsgate is impressed enough by its film (and its theatrical success) to want Mr. Wick to star in a full-blown franchise.

During a Lionsgate earnings call earlier today, CEO Jon Feltheimer said his studio views John Wick as a "multiple-title action franchise." So, assuming the next John Wick film is a success, we could very well see Keanu Reeves-John Wick become the next Damon-Bourne, or James Bond.

This news comes several days after Wick writer-director duo Chad Stahelski and David Leitch said they were working on a sequel. "We're in development right now," said Stahelski to Movies.com. "We have ideas for days and without blinking twice we know we can outdo the action from the original. It's the matter of story and how much you like the character."

Given the amount of work that went into John Wick's universe and background, the crafting of a sequel is a no-brainer, especially with the modest financial success of the film. A $20 million budget yielded a box office return of about $78.7 million,although there's no official word on how much marketing cash was spent. And with the Blu-ray hitting earlier this week, the total revenue generated by the original project will grow significantly.

Are you digging a John Wick sequel? Or was one round with Keanu and company enough? Let us know in the comments.

Source: Variety

because the best thing to do, when you find something successful is to bleed it dry, until it's a withered, empty, husk.

dragongit:
because the best thing to do, when you find something successful is to bleed it dry, until it's a withered, empty, husk.

As long as they do it right--keeping what worked, doing away with what didn't, and adding enough to make it fresh--I don't see there being a problem. There is such a thing as a good sequel. A franchise could just as easily be a trilogy, which seems to be the sweet spot for many series, so why is there's an inherent issue with capitalizing on its success? They're talking about making a sequel, not a one-per-year 10-movie series with video game tie-ins and LEGO sets. I fail to see how a sequel or two can be considered 'bleeding it dry'.

More on topic, I still have yet to see the movie, but I've been hearing nothing but good news about it so if they can make it work, then more power to 'em.

Fuck yes. After I'd watched the movie I just wanted there to be a whole series with the same cast, but set previous to the movie when Wick would still be in the business. The movie was too short on its own no doubt. I do hope they move backwards in time for a sequel, not forward, as everything mentioned in the movie would make for cooler prequels rather than sequels.

YES! Agree with someone who already posted it, they could just do some prequels on this and it would be easily as effective, if not more so, than doing a sequel.

Loved 'John Wick'. To me, it was what "Hitman" and basically any of the "Punisher" movies should have been.

Sure make it a franchise. But don't forget to drop a few Payday references in the sequel (maybe a cameo of Chains or a quick name drop of Bain)

I enjoyed the movie enough to see it a sequel in theaters, I thought they did the action scenes very well I just hope they get better at filling the areas (as small as they might be) between action sequences a little better.

I am ok with this as long as they don't kill any more Dogs. I know it is fucked up but have 100 people die in a movie and I have no problem. Kill a Dog and I will either skip the scene or simply not watch your movie.

The lack of Dafoe will be a sore point for the next movie... but if they keep Ian McShane (every role he touches is just GOLD) as the head of the assassination order I'm all for it.

But John Wick had some of the best action scenes of any movie, ruthless executions and the setting showed great depth. I'd gladly see a second one - the best thing is it doesn't even have to be about John Wick, there are numerous other assassins the series could focus on.

I admit I went into this movie with pretty low expectations. It's been a pretty long time since I've actually liked anything Keanu Reeves has been in. I left the theater very pleasantly surprised though.

I'd definitely go to see a sequel (or prequel?) in theaters.

I'm meh about this. On the one hand, I loved John Wick. I wasn't expecting hardly anything from it when I went to the 2.25 theater to see it with my mate cause we had time to kill. We saw it three more times after that. I can say without a doubt that is the most I've seen a movie in theaters.

On the other hand, I guess I'm always skeptical of sequels to stand alone movies. I mean, look at the Taken franchise. Even the second one was feeling tired by comparison of the first, and I won't even touch the third. And I loved the first one.

So, I just hope that they keep the same enthusiasm they had in the first one for the next one, but when it comes to Hollywood, I've come to expect less than that.

dragongit:

...Well, The Raid 2 was good... :/

First film was seriously good though.

Awesome I liked the whole Continental assassins hotel thing. I'm glad I was not the only one intrigued by that whole cloak and dagger aspect of the movie. If done right there is a whole mythos around just the Continental and it "services" to mine out.

"This news comes several days after Wick writer-director duo Chad Stahelski and David Leitch said they were working on a sequel. "We're in development right now," said Stahelski to Movies.com. "

YEAH!!!! Ahem... I approve. ^_^

Bond? - Yea sure in their wet money dreams maybe. Chances are it turns into another Taken...

YES! MORE! ALL OF IT!! IN MY FACE!!! *motorboat noises*

I would to see more of John Wick and his world. It was a fun as hell hard R action movie with some sweet ideas. I even bought the Blu-Ray on the day it hit shelves. While not all of the original cast will be back, mostly cause they're dead, but there are some like Ian McShane that would be great to have back. Also, I'd like to see more of the assassin world like the Continental as well as other areas and ideas. If they pull this off perfectly, I will be enjoying this series with gusto.

Oh Hells yes.

That is all.

This forum made me want to go watch John Wick again.

(watched John Wick again)

Just had another thought: if they're going to make a prequel, how about a John Wick and Ms. Perkins team up? Or a Marcus (Willem Dafoe) and John Wick team up?

Yes I know, there's supposed to be the whole "lone hitman" thing, but those were two great characters who I'd really like to see fleshed out.

Oh for fuck's sake can we not do this please?

John Wick was such a nice little film, it wasn't complicated or new or all that special, but it was damn well made, and in a way that turned all the things it lacked into strengths.

It was precisely perfect for what it was.

And now they're going to take all that away and add layer upon layer of bloat and bullshit.

And for what?

For fucking Mammon.

It would be nice for a contemporary action series to have successive installments that aren't bad. I say go for it.

I'm conflicted about this.

On one hand, i really liked the flick, and there's room for the universe to be expanded upon.

On the other hand, the movie did wrap up nicely, and fuck me if there isn't a tendency in hollywood to bleed a fresh IP to death. I don't like the shitty sequel culture we're stuck in right now. I'd rather see a bunch of fresh movies rather than a bunch of sequels.

insaninater:

On one hand, i really liked the flick, and there's room for the universe to be expanded upon.

On the other hand, the movie did wrap up nicely, and fuck me if there isn't a tendency in hollywood to bleed a fresh IP to death. I don't like the shitty sequel culture we're stuck in right now. I'd rather see a bunch of fresh movies rather than a bunch of sequels.

Yep. One of the main things I liked about it though were the rep he had. Everywhere he went people were like "HEY! Oh shit, sorry mr Wick, we'll just gtfo and let you do your thing." The scene with the policeman at his front door was especially awesome imo.

This would not be as fresh in the sequel though...so I dont really see where they would go with the story :|

"Ew! Ew! Success! Quick, kill it! Pour lighter fluid on it, stamp it into the carpet, light it up and spunk on the remains! For moneeeeeeeyyy!"

Unless Gary Busey's in there somewhere.

tzimize:

insaninater:

Yep. One of the main things I liked about it though were the rep he had. Everywhere he went people were like "HEY! Oh shit, sorry mr Wick, we'll just gtfo and let you do your thing." The scene with the policeman at his front door was especially awesome imo.

This would not be as fresh in the sequel though...so I dont really see where they would go with the story :|

I could see it if it were more a prequel. Like a movie about how he actually managed to get out of the criminal world, or how he got his start. There's not that much room going forward, but looking back there's a lot of potential stories to be told.

All for it. I wasn't really blown away by the film, but it was a slick, stylish and extremely well-executed action flick with tons of franchise potential. And i'd really want to see Al Sweareng... sorry, Ian McShane in more stuff in general.

insaninater:

I could see it if it were more a prequel. Like a movie about how he actually managed to get out of the criminal world, or how he got his start. There's not that much room going forward, but looking back there's a lot of potential stories to be told.

I agree with this. The movie really does set up the premise of a prequel must better then it does for a sequel. The movie builds up the deeds John Wick did and the fellow hitmen / assassins that he knows in the Continental like they had previous interesting stories. Going into depth of how John Wick and Marcus (Willem Dafoe) became friends sounds like a good secondary framing device. The primary plot device could be how John Wick carried out the "impossible task" the Russian mob boss explains in the movie that paved the way for his gang to be in power. From what the mob boss described the movie would work pretty similarly to the first one with a big bad mob boss in charge, shit tons of henchmen, and the Russian guy from the first movie would be a lesser rival in the prequel.

Could even work in meeting his wife for the first time and falling in love with her, or at least setting that kind of thing up.

The world and characters were clearly so well designed as to be the stage for something bigger, and the movie itself was pretty good too. As long as they focus on quality and not just milking things dry (which could be a big ask) then I'm all for this.

StriderShinryu:
The world and characters were clearly so well designed as to be the stage for something bigger

That's why I'm excited too. MovieBob was right when he said how John Wick did an amazing job of world building through actions and setting, fully utilizing cinematography and the strengths of the medium to do so instead of relying on simple exposition.

If they can just keep that quality up and those very good things in mind I'll be happy. A good idea would perhaps to not rely on John Wick as a character, but to just utilize the world and just make movies within it. Not as much sequels as such, more like a cinematic universe. Could work if they don't overstretch themselves and stick to their strengths. But it'd be better if they'd let John Wick himself rest.

The Equalizer was better. Wick was built up to be this super awesome assassin and yet there were multiple points in the movie where he was handed the idiot ball and told to fuck up by the director. Whereas Denzel's character handicapped himself just so he didn't get bored.

Great, getting a sequel.... how about actually making sure everyone else has seen the original first? it's not even had a cinema release here in the UK yet, have to wait till April 10th for it to even arrive here legally and that point why bother when people can already buy imported same region dvd's and bluray discs on Amazon.

though I have to ask about the Puppy murder, someone who's seen the movie do they actually show it, or is it offscreen implied? neither option would stop me seeing the movie, but it helps to have some idea of what to expect.

Soulrender95:
though I have to ask about the Puppy murder, someone who's seen the movie do they actually show it, or is it offscreen implied? neither option would stop me seeing the movie, but it helps to have some idea of what to expect.

Russian dude chases puppy and grabs it while the camera imitates the view of the on the ground lying Wick: Tilted and blurry without clear focus.
Then the camera moves upwards and only shows how the Russian dude reaches back for a punch and the squeal sound of an animal is played.
Later Russian dude drags dead puppy to wick and drops it in front of him.

So no you don't see how a puppy gets smashes but you still get to see a puppy corps.

Movie would have been better if he really just went on a revenge seeking killing spree for the puppy and not some dead wife backpack...

They were setting this up, imho. The world was way too detailed with that assassin hotel and their code etc. This one has a far better reason to have sequels than Taken did.

Too bad Agent Smecker-- I mean, uh, whatever the name of Dafoe's character in this bloody bullet-laden revenge epic was again -- won't be around.

dragongit:

ninjad by the first post. you getting good!

Instead of trying new things to discover great ideas lets franchise everything till it drops dead flat on its belly. hollywood always been great at it.

Only if they cast Sean Bean as the next big evil guy and... he doesn't die :O

We'll see if they manage to keep what was good in it and spin it in a new way...or if they just run after storm clouds with a lightning bottle, focusing on entirely the wrong thing like they seem to do in a lot of these unexpected sequels.

"John Wick 2...This Time They Killed His Gerbil!"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.