After Success Of John Wick, Lionsgate Wants A Full-Blown Franchise

Pages PREV 1 2

Strazdas:

dragongit:
because the best thing to do, when you find something successful is to bleed it dry, until it's a withered, empty, husk.

ninjad by the first post. you getting good!

Instead of trying new things to discover great ideas lets franchise everything till it drops dead flat on its belly. hollywood always been great at it.

The problem with this complaint is that this WAS a new IP.

This wasn't a sequal or a reboot, this movie was the starting point of a new series. It did well so they're gonna keep it moving like all forms of media have been doing forever.

You can't expect someone to launch a new IP that does well and then go "Ok lets never do anything with this again"

As far as I'm concerned I'd much rather take a "new series" 2 over a fast and furious >9 any day.

I think if they want to make more, they should progress it backwards and do a prequel. The movie ended on a rather sad, but conclusive note. The last thing they should do, is take the franchise down the same path as Taken. It would be a lot more interesting to see what the "impossible task" he accomplished was, rather than just have him flip out because someone killed another one of his pets.

I just find it funny how this breaks when Jupiter Ascending did disappointing business at the box office. I've always liked Reeves so seeing him doing badass stuff again is fine by me.

They already had Wick go against the dude who played an agent in Matrix Reloaded so how about getting Hugo Weaving as a villain for the sequel?
Too much wink wink?
OK, then how about have someone frame him for murder inside the Continental which results in him being hunted by professional assassins throughout the whole movie? You could introduce a lot cool hitmen with different different personalities and methods of killing.

Also, no sidekicks. To hell with sidekicks.

Upon further thought, John Wick 2 should be a prequel, I know showing what didn't need to be shown is a habit for films but why not just let him have an ending? I for one would love to see just what he did to get out of the criminal underworld. What could possibly be that impossible that he became that legendary? That'd a film I'd love to see :)

I'm reading this as; we tried something new and it worked, but we are still afraid to try something new so we are rehashing our success.

Despite the fact that I hate the "it was good lets squeeze as much cash out of it until everyone hates it" attitude. I do think that John Wick lends itself fairly well to this kind of thing.

He was a fairly bare-bones sort of character and it would be easy for the films to be mostly about his targets so it wouldn't get stale especially quickly.

We shall see.

I really hope it happens. John Wick is one of the best action movies I've seen in years.

cant really see a sequel, rather a prequel but that could be just me. just saw the movie few days ago on dvd and really enjoyed it. good solid action and good fight scenes. liked how he executed everyone which you dont see in many movies about an assassin.
well, as long they make it good and fill in the gabs and no more doggies get killed, im in.

kajinking:

Strazdas:

dragongit:
because the best thing to do, when you find something successful is to bleed it dry, until it's a withered, empty, husk.

ninjad by the first post. you getting good!

Instead of trying new things to discover great ideas lets franchise everything till it drops dead flat on its belly. hollywood always been great at it.

The problem with this complaint is that this WAS a new IP.

This wasn't a sequal or a reboot, this movie was the starting point of a new series. It did well so they're gonna keep it moving like all forms of media have been doing forever.

You can't expect someone to launch a new IP that does well and then go "Ok lets never do anything with this again"

As far as I'm concerned I'd much rather take a "new series" 2 over a fast and furious >9 any day.

Yes, and it was great that it was a new IP and was successful. What people are complaining about is that as soon as something is successful they are trying thier best to milk it with sequels instead of making new IPs.

It should be a new IP movie. not a starting of series. one, singular movie.

I like Keanu Reeves and I loved the movie, but like many I'm a bit skeptical if they'll be able keep the spirit, keep it fresh and not jump the shark at the same time. That being said I really wish Keanu to get a financially and critically successful franchise.

I'm not too big on sequels, but I think in this instance it could work. If they're going with a trilogy, the second film could be a prequel that covers John Wick's "impossible job" that got him out. In that prequel they could also introduce characters or connections that could be used to set up the antagonist of the third movie. That's just one (unlikely) possibility, but I can imagine the new movies to be, if not as great, pretty good.

Thankfully I'm not of the opinion that a bad sequel can ruin a good movie. As long as Keanu plays the lead and the main creators are involved I am going to see the movies and if they turn out to be bad I'll simply not watch them again and pretend they don't exist.

I thought it was over-rated. It was OK. He walked around and shot people dead, without mercy. Over a dog and his car. There were at least two "merciful bad guy" scenes where he should have just been dead. My favorite thing in it was just watching him gather his equipment. I guess it has potential but in the future: no more merciful bad guys, and better motivations. Try to limit his killing to people we know and hate rather than just flunky that make me feel bad about what happened to them.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.