RIP Nien Nunb: Star Wars Actor Richard Bonehill Dead at 67

RIP Nien Nunb: Star Wars Actor Richard Bonehill Dead at 67

Richard Bonehill Nien Nunb 310x

Bonehill was a key Star Wars player on-screen, and a master swordsman off.

Actor Richard Bonehill has died at the age of 67, and he leaves behind an incredible career that weaves through both Hollywood and the Olympic games.

Bonehill was never a household name actor, but his appearances in the Star Wars universe cannot be ignored. Along with playing unnamed stormtroopers and rebel soldiers in both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Bonehill played a number of alien characters in the Star Wars universe, including some of the Mon Calamari in the latter. But most important, by far, was Bonehill's role as Nien Nunb, who served as Lando Calrissian's Millennium Falcon co-pilot in Return of the Jedi. Nunb is one of the most recognizable characters in the universe -- so recognizable, in fact, that his appearance in The Venture Bros. is an undeniably great cameo.

Other on-screen credits include Doctor Who, Top Secret!, and Rob Roy.

Bonehill made several appearances on-screen, but was a Hollywood regular off-camera as well. As a master swordsman, Bonehill served in such a capacity on several high-profile productions, including Highlander, The Avengers, and The Man in the Iron Mask.

When not involved in that galaxy far, far, away, Bonehill was the President of Truro Fencing Club in Cornwall, a role he held until his death. He also served as the head coach at the club from 1995-2007, and trained three fencers at the club who competed in the London 2012 Olympic games.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Aw, this sucks. May the force be with you where ever you are Mr Bonehill.

That's the type of role I would like to have in Star Wars. Random background extra guy. While I did not know of the man, it sounds like the world has lost someone who had great talent. He will be missed.

I don't know much about the guy, though it looks like he had a pretty fascinating career. May he rest in peace, and may the Force be with him.

Truro fencers can be a bit full of themselves, but the club is undeniably one of the most successful in the country, which is a great credit to Richard Bonehill. RIP

RIP Richard Bonehill.

I wonder if he interacted much with Bob Anderson via the Star Wars' sword choreography.

Never knew he was as close to me as Truro. I was in that town lunching only today.

Every great man will one day fall.

After watching Plinkett's Star Wars review I shall ever remember him as "Lando's Hispanic co-pilot."

R.I.P. good sir, would have loved to have seen you in the next film.

RIP to Richard. However, the source of this, the Hollywood Reporter is wrong. The guy responsible for being Nien Nunb, Mike Quinn, is very much alive and kicking and working away with the Muppets and more. While Richard was a 'suit actor' and that involved him being seen in the background dressed as Nien, the character itself was physically made into a puppet and performed by Mr Quinn. If anyone has the latest box set there are cockpit tests of Mike trying out what he created. The pic you have up and those scenes we love in 'Return...' were all Mike. So...the Universe is still safe. Nien is still flying. Hoping SW fans etc keep the facts out there. ;)

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.