BattleBots Is Coming Back To Television This Summer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BattleBots Is Coming Back To Television This Summer

Battlebots 310x

ABC ordered a six episode run for this Summer, with MGM distributing internationally.

Time to put our fear of the robot apocalypse on hold. BattleBots, the R/C robot-fighting battle royale that once graced the small screen over on Comedy Central, is making a comeback later this year.

According to Deadline, ABC has ordered six episodes of the reboot, all of which will air this coming Summer. Ed Roski and Greg Munson, who produced the show in its first form, are behind the project, as is former ABC exec Lloyd Braun.

The show appears to follow the same basic formula as its Comedy Central predecessor. Along with focusing on a tournament-style robot battle format, the show will dedicate a considerable chunk of time to the teams behind the robots, the design process, and the technical expertise of those participating.

The televised robo-bloodbath will be divided into four weight categories, similar to boxing: Lightweight (60 pounds), Middleweight (120 pounds), Heavyweight (220 pounds), and Superheavyweight (340 pounds).

Given the technological leaps that have occurred between 2015 and the last episode in 2002, some of these 340-pound beast mechs should be an awe-inspiring sight. Boy, I hope they allow laser weapons!

Source: Deadline

Can we in the UK get Robot Wars back please?

Damn that was a good show :( I miss Sir Killalot, SGT Bash, Dead Metal etc :(

*crys in corner*

Oh hell yes!

I used to love this show so much.

Also, if I remember correctly, wasn't Bill Nye in some of the episodes? I wonder if they'll get him back.

arc1991:

*crys in corner*

Dead Metal was the boss! I think Challenge or DMax or some crappy satellite channel was playing old series on at 1AM a while back, it was pretty damn hilarious laughing at all the incredibly 90's-looking nerds. Some cracking glasses back in the day.

Omg YESSSSS

This is great news I loved watching these robot fighting shows

arc1991:

*crys in corner*

Always liked Robot Wars more than BattleBots. House robots for the win.

Are there any rules against flying robots? If not, that could be an amazing change to the meta.

Toadfish1:
Are there any rules against flying robots? If not, that could be an amazing change to the meta.

I doubt you could build a proper flying bot for this type of fighting. Plus most bots use grounded weapons and would be unable to attack.

Typically speaking projectile based weapons are not used so flying wouldn't work well to be viable.

Fuck yeah, BattleBots! :D

I was mad as hell when they took it off the air years ago. Yeah, the presentation was a little cheesy, but it was awesome.

This pleases me greatly that they're bringing it back.

Ahhhh that takes me back. Just wish that video had better sound quality. :P

I miss watching Vlad the Impaler dominate everything. :(

That's good news, I'd love to see Battle Bots again! How long has it been since the show was on anyway?

arc1991:

*crys in corner*

I was actually discusing this with a work buddy a few weeks ago. Would need to get Craig Charles back too though.
Bring back some of the old champs like razor and hypnodisc to be new house bots. That would be the dog's.

Fuck yeah, BattleBots was my jam back in the day!

Now, if they bring back Diesector, I'll be REALLY happy.

I'm fucking hyped. One of my dad's old coworkers used to compete back in the day, can't remember the bot he made though...either way HYPE!

Finally, a reason for me to watch non-comic book TV again. Hoping to see at least a few old vets like Biohazard and T-Minus around.

I really hope this prompts the BBC to try Robot Wars again. This time with a producer who doesnt fix matches based on his personal preferences.

arc1991:

I wonder what actually happened to the house bots. Cant find any solid info on their final fates.

Though after so long i doubt any of them are actually funtional now anyway.

Wonder if they'll bring in Grant Imahara to host, given that he competed last time around...

Well... okay.
I mean the premise of the show was good but in practice the boring wedge bots reigned.

Veldie:

Toadfish1:

I doubt you could build a proper flying bot for this type of fighting. Plus most bots use grounded weapons and would be unable to attack.

Typically speaking projectile based weapons are not used so flying wouldn't work well to be viable.

Why use a projectile weapon? Just replace the interior of a flywheel with some rotor blades and laugh at flippers

Battlebots was fun, but Robot Wars was more my speed. I liked Craig Charles as the host, I liked the house robots, I just thought it was a much more well realized version of the fighting robot concept.

Still, if Battlebots returns I'll be happy to watch it. Robot Wars may have been my favorite of the two, but they were both a lot of fun to watch.

Scorpid:
Well... okay.
I mean the premise of the show was good but in practice the boring wedge bots reigned.

The spinner bots were the most entertaining IMO

CrazyGirl17:
That's good news, I'd love to see Battle Bots again! How long has it been since the show was on anyway?

The article states that the last episode was in 2002.

Devin Connors:

Given the technological leaps that have occurred between 2015 and the last episode in 2002, some of these 340-pound beast mechs should be an awe-inspiring sight. Boy, I hope they allow laser weapons!

If I remember correctly you couldn't have weapons like guns on your bot so probably no lasers.

Just take my money ABC D:

I fully support the idea of bringing back robot combat shows. And I think that with the huge advancement in robotics, we ought to be able to see some amazing stuff. I wonder of the Mythbusters will come back with a Mouser Mecha-Catbot 2.0? Grant Imahara had his own robot too. Deadblow was mean little bot.

Also, since we're talking about great old shows needing a revival. Can someone, somewhere, please revive Junkyard Wars/Scrapheap Challenge? That was such am amazing show. They built freaking airplanes, submarines and catapults out of junk in 10 hours.

I don't remember BattleBots (except for the browser game and the programming game) but I do remember Robot Wars.
Good clean destructive fun! Let the Wars begin!

I'm excited to see what new things the time-lapse will bring.

Sight Unseen:

Scorpid:
Well... okay.

What I loved most about spinners was the randomness. Sometimes it would catch just right and either it or the opponent would go careening out into a trap or whatnot.

My personal favorite, though, were the two-wheeled kinds with a large spike or hammer. I forgot the name of it, but there was one that was literally two wheels and a spike and would attack by braking just in front of the opponent, letting the momentum throw the spike onto it.

chadachada123:

Sight Unseen:

Scorpid:
Well... okay.

What I loved most about spinners was the randomness. Sometimes it would catch just right and either it or the opponent would go careening out into a trap or whatnot.

My personal favorite, though, were the two-wheeled kinds with a large spike or hammer. I forgot the name of it, but there was one that was literally two wheels and a spike and would attack by braking just in front of the opponent, letting the momentum throw the spike onto it.

Mouser Mecha Cat Bot and Ziggo were like idols to me when I was young :D

And now I'm sad looking back on youtube finding out that Mouser wasn't actually a spinner bot like I remembered... but it was still awesome :P

Ziggo was just so devastating...[skip to 1:01]

I remember the one you're talking about too but I cant recall the name either.

It's no Robot Wars, but I'm still hyped as shit right now!

Toadfish1:

IIRC there actually was an attempt or two at flying robots in the old show, but nobody really managed to create one that had a weapon capable of harming the other bot while being light enough to remain in the air, so the match boiled down to the flyer ineffectually bumping into a foe it has no chance of hurting and next-to-no chance of getting hurt by.

arc1991:

*crys in corner*

As long it goes back to its league like tournament than wreatling (that when Craig Charles start wearing that awful yellow leather jacket) then I'm up for it. That was the point when it became awful for me and stop watching.

thephill:

arc1991:

*crys in corner*

I was actually discusing this with a work buddy a few weeks ago. Would need to get Craig Charles back too though.
Bring back some of the old champs like razor and hypnodisc to be new house bots. That would be the dog's.

Razer, Hypnodisc, Tornado, and Chaos 2 as the new house robots...

Yeah I'd be on board with that.

Aeshi:
It's no Robot Wars, but I'm still hyped as shit right now!

Toadfish1:

IIRC there actually was an attempt or two at flying robots in the old show, but nobody really managed to create one that had a weapon capable of harming the other bot while being light enough to remain in the air, so the match boiled down to the flyer ineffectually bumping into a foe it has no chance of hurting and next-to-no chance of getting hurt by.

But with advances to lightweight, high lift personal drone technology, and a sawblade arm.....

arc1991:

*crys in corner*

Silly, it's Sir K now. and Sgt Bash no longer has a flamethrower.

Nickelodeon said it would be more kid friendly.(there is a reason it only lasted 7 episodes)

FUCK YEA! The hype is real! I love battlebots!

No way! I were just talking with a colleague about how cool it would be to bring this sort of thing back, and now they are, awesome.
It will be very interesting to see what they can do with the tech we have today.

Also, I remember way back when playing a game based on this, where you put together everything yourself, wired it up and all that. It was fun, and it makes me wonder why nobody has made another. Arena fighting with own creations, that's an untapped marked right there. If it was balanced enough and well done it could even be an E-sport, how cool wouldn't that shit be?

Back at school we used to have tournaments like this, only with lego and a program unit, it was the best. Our creations got quite crazy at the end of the year as we learned more.

I somehow feel that robots fighting in an arena should be bigger than it is, as most people seem to really like it. I mean it's fun to watch, it's creative and you learn about robots, what's not to like?

Toadfish1:
But with advances to lightweight, high lift personal drone technology, and a sawblade arm.....

That sort of thing works in a cartoon, in real life however sawblades are for soft material only and these bots by now have thick steel/titanium shells. Even if you took a hand held metal cutter to their body it would take several minutes to get into a critical part.

Besides all that you have a robot that is floating around... the slightest touch of a grounded robot would send it into a wall every time.

Sorry guys, I distinctly remember there was a "no projectile weapons" rule in BattleBots. Same with flamethrowers, now that I think about it.

Anyway, awesome, I'm hyped. Here's hoping for some interesting new designs. Also...

RedDeadFred:
Also, if I remember correctly, wasn't Bill Nye in some of the episodes? I wonder if they'll get him back.

He was! He was the guy they throw to for scientific explanations.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.