BattleBots Is Coming Back To Television This Summer

Pages PREV 1 2

Oh my god yes, all of my yes. I might've preferred the British version, but I'll welcome either of them.

Now if they're just going to bring back Scrapheap Challenge and Time Team and you've got like 60% of my childhood TV back on there. Especially Scrapheap Challenge, it's thanks to that and the robot murder shows that my hands have always itched to tinker and stuff. Does anyone remember Scrapheap Challenge?

God that show was awesome. I reckon it's thanks I came to love science and engineering. And got a healthy respect for facial hair, because damn look at that one dude's 'stache and the other dude's beard.

Also reminds me of the time when Discovery Channel was still super fucking awesome. And also awesomely British.

Aeshi:
It's no Robot Wars, but I'm still hyped as shit right now!

Toadfish1:
Are there any rules against flying robots? If not, that could be an amazing change to the meta.

IIRC there actually was an attempt or two at flying robots in the old show, but nobody really managed to create one that had a weapon capable of harming the other bot while being light enough to remain in the air, so the match boiled down to the flyer ineffectually bumping into a foe it has no chance of hurting and next-to-no chance of getting hurt by.

But imagine this though; a sort-of sub-class for the light weight robots, pitting flying drones against each other. The battles might be short, but damned if they aren't going to be awesome. If only for the engineering challenge.

I'm not sure if the Robots where purposely mismatched but the American Robots always looked abit shabby when compared to the British ones whenever they did a crossover. I think Razor seemed to always win as well.

Meh Battlebots was interesting at first but after a while people seemed to figure out all you really needed to do to win was flip the other bot over and maybe hit it with a hammer.

So we went from having really cool looking bots with interesting attacks, I seem to recall one swung a bowling ball that wound up getting shattered, to "which boring metallic wedge will filp the other boring metallic wedge over first". At least to my recollection.

arc1991:
Can we in the UK get Robot Wars back please?

Damn that was a good show :( I miss Sir Killalot, SGT Bash, Dead Metal etc :(

*crys in corner*

SIR KILLALOT! I used to love him and his gas engine!

NinjaDeathSlap:

thephill:

arc1991:

*crys in corner*

I was actually discusing this with a work buddy a few weeks ago. Would need to get Craig Charles back too though.
Bring back some of the old champs like razor and hypnodisc to be new house bots. That would be the dog's.

Razer, Hypnodisc, Tornado, and Chaos 2 as the new house robots...

Yeah I'd be on board with that.

nail on the head my friend......nail on the head.

razor was top of the food chain in robot wars.....i vaguely remember him being the only bot to cause major damage to the house bots.

Hey I remember these shows.

And TechTV used to play the British version... and Junkyard Wars reruns...

I miss that network. And not the doppleganger that wore its skin for a while

arc1991:

*crys in corner*

there was a miniature robot wars two years ago at Manchester comic con (never saw it run but i was there) so there's definitely people interested

i would have though robot wars would be super popular, who doesn't love EXPLOSIONS! and mayhem

TFU!

"that's not fair!"
"That's not fair!, thats not fair"

Robot Wars was the better of the two, I liked the trials and House Bots, I'll take what robot carnage I can though.

Meh, as with all things I prefer the original British to the US ripoff anytime.
I love Robot Wars... but BattleBots just never got me like that.
Just too American or something (no offense).

Maybe I'll give it another try this time around.

King_Julian:

NinjaDeathSlap:

thephill:

I was actually discusing this with a work buddy a few weeks ago. Would need to get Craig Charles back too though.
Bring back some of the old champs like razor and hypnodisc to be new house bots. That would be the dog's.

razor was top of the food chain in robot wars.....i vaguely remember him being the only bot to cause major damage to the house bots.

man have all of them reworked with newer tech and they would be so devastating.

Tornado was my favorite of them.

Tornado and Razor fighting each other was insane.

King_Julian:

NinjaDeathSlap:

thephill:

He was always my favourite. As far as machines that literally bristle with pain go, he was about up there with an Apache helicopter. I just loed the way everything about it was so composed as well. You had the likes of Hypnoodisc that would scream around the arena like an excitable collie, but Razer just waited, patiently, for it's opponent to make a mistake, before calmly and neatly slicing them to ribbons. There's a subtly sadistic part of my brain that loves that. :P

Mind you, Tornado did steal Razer's crown in a later series, though in order to win they had to weld a bull-bar all the way around Tornado's chassis, so Razer's claw couldn't reach the main body, which is either inspired design or filthy cheating, depending on who's side your on.

Cowabungaa:
Oh my god yes, all of my yes. I might've preferred the British version, but I'll welcome either of them.

Now if they're just going to bring back Scrapheap Challenge and Time Team and you've got like 60% of my childhood TV back on there. Especially Scrapheap Challenge, it's thanks to that and the robot murder shows that my hands have always itched to tinker and stuff. Does anyone remember Scrapheap Challenge?

God that show was awesome. I reckon it's thanks I came to love science and engineering. And got a healthy respect for facial hair, because damn look at that one dude's 'stache and the other dude's beard.

Also reminds me of the time when Discovery Channel was still super fucking awesome. And also awesomely British.

Hell yes; Sunday afternoons on Channel 4 in the UK - Time Team, Scrapheap Challenge, and Stargate SG-1 reruns. Pretty much all that kept me sane when we had "family dinner" on Sundays growing up, hah. The really enthusiastic wee bloke in the trenchcoat that presented Scrapheap Challenge was brilliant.

chadachada123:

Sight Unseen:

Scorpid:
Well... okay.
I mean the premise of the show was good but in practice the boring wedge bots reigned.

The spinner bots were the most entertaining IMO

What I loved most about spinners was the randomness. Sometimes it would catch just right and either it or the opponent would go careening out into a trap or whatnot.

My personal favorite, though, were the two-wheeled kinds with a large spike or hammer. I forgot the name of it, but there was one that was literally two wheels and a spike and would attack by braking just in front of the opponent, letting the momentum throw the spike onto it.

Stinger was the bots name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLpPY7AMBo unless there was one on BB aswell

Robot Wars was amazing. I just want to plug Matilda. That house bot wasn't the best, but still a classic.

I had a toy RC versions of Matilda and Shunt as a kid :)

Veldie:

King_Julian:

NinjaDeathSlap:

man have all of them reworked with newer tech and they would be so devastating.

Tornado was my favorite of them.

Tornado and Razor fighting each other was insane.

Behemoth vs Razor was always pretty close IIRC. I think that was one of the fights that really came down to who was the better driver.

I also want to put in a word for Nemesis/Diotoir. Not exactly a powerful or threatening robot, it was never the less entertaining to watch it scooting around the arena after being set on fire again.

Oh, also Major Tom. Always put in a word for the most patriotic of bots.

This is some really good news. Watched Battlebots alot when I was a kiddo.
Now if they bring back the british version aswell I would be really happy.

rcs619:
Just take my money ABC D:

I fully support the idea of bringing back robot combat shows. And I think that with the huge advancement in robotics, we ought to be able to see some amazing stuff. I wonder of the Mythbusters will come back with a Mouser Mecha-Catbot 2.0? Grant Imahara had his own robot too. Deadblow was mean little bot.

Also, since we're talking about great old shows needing a revival. Can someone, somewhere, please revive Junkyard Wars/Scrapheap Challenge? That was such am amazing show. They built freaking airplanes, submarines and catapults out of junk in 10 hours.

Speaking of which, I ran into Grant Imahara at a con once... he worked on Junkyard Wars, too. The show was rigged. People were scurrying around the junkyard off-camera, moving and hiding things while the teams were scavenging and building. That's why people always seemed to find the exact part they needed right at the end, hidden in the trunk of a car or something.

Holy shit this is going to be awesome!! Can't even imagine what they'll come up with having the technology we have today

Fuck yeah! I still fondly remember watching that show on Sunday mornings and being filled with giddy please as those bots crushed each other to bits with metal pinchers or got lit aflame :p

gigastar:
I really hope this prompts the BBC to try Robot Wars again. This time with a producer who doesnt fix matches based on his personal preferences.

arc1991:

I wonder what actually happened to the house bots. Cant find any solid info on their final fates.

Though after so long i doubt any of them are actually funtional now anyway.

Hallelujah! I get to see two 'bots beat each other senseless! People get to watch UFC, so I'm glad this is finally coming back. Hardcore Kid is going to really happy about this!

Im torn here. On one side it was amazing show and i would LOVE to see more of that.

On the other side i thing that modern technology might ruin its charm. cut through the bot armor to ruin its mainframe? cant do that anymore because the mainboard is small and locked away inside a blackbox-esque safe.

burn the bot? modern material armor does not care.

ect.

arc1991:

*crys in corner*

according to IMDB, the show had a season 1, 2, 3 and 6. what happened to 4 and 5? I never saw such a mystery, even for templorary cancelled shows.

Robot Wars was awesome. As soon as you hear the robot Hypnodisc was in a fight you were guaranteed carnage.

Whoa. I actually used to watch this!
That'll be fun to see it again.

Consider this a public service announcement...

If anybody is going to be in the area of Vallejo, California between May 21-23, you can watch it live. The tickets are available here: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/battlebots-tickets-2015-championship-tv-taping-tickets-16680151783

(Oh yes - and they're only $10 plus a small fee...)

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here