Shocker: Big Cable Among The Most Hated Companies In America

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shocker: Big Cable Among The Most Hated Companies In America

South Park Time Warner Cable social

Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Charter, DirecTV, and Dish are at the bottom of the Harris Poll barrel.

Harris Interactive has published its 15th annual Harris Poll RQ (Reputation Quotient) Summary, and the results...well, I doubt many of you will actually be shocked.

The report includes information taken from 27,000 Americans, with the goal of ranking 100 of the most visible, high-profile companies in the U.S. Companies were graded via six categories: Social Responsibility, Emotional Appeal, Products & Services, Workplace Environment, Financial Performance, and Vision & Leadership. Those ranked at or near the top of the list are generally viewed as "good" by those polled by Harris, while companies at the bottom are not.

At the top? Grocery store chain Wegmans, which has been steadily expanding outside of its home region of Western New York (including my own state, Massachusetts). Wegmans was the only company of the 100 included that hit the top five in all six categories, which helped it bump Amazon out of the top spot. Amazon was still in the top ten at #2, as are Samsung (#3), Apple (#9), and Google (#10).

But what about the bottom of the list? Goldman Sachs was dead last at #100, but broadband ISPs and cable/TV providers were all over the bottom quarter of the list. Included are Comcast (#93), Dish Network (#98), Charter (#92), Time Warner (#85), and AT&T (#76). The question here: Is the "Time Warner" listed by Harris Time Warner Cable? Or is it Time Warner, the now-separated company that doesn't sell TV and Internet access, but does own properties like Cartoon Network, and Warner Bros.? Given the service-focused nature of the poll, I think it very well could be the former. (And Time Warner is often used to describe Time Warner Cable, which would explain its place on the list.)

Verizon is one of the few telecom companies outside the bottom 25, ranking at #66.

This is not the first time an independent poll has painted the cable/telecom industries in a negative light. The ASCI has shown that customer satisfaction is at an all-time low, so this latest public perception poll is adding fuel to an already-blazing fire. And such perception could end up playing a key role in how the fight over net neutrality rages on in the eyes of the public, the political machine, and the court system.

Source: Harris Interactive via Bloomberg

Having worked for several cable/satellite companies now, I'm hardly surprised. People tend to get pissiest about their entertainment/internet connection if there's any kind of disruption in service. If the grocery store restroom is out of order, you never call and complain, but if the internet hiccups for 20 minutes, or the TV is out of commission for 5 minutes, we're on the phone screaming, "WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!" at the provider. Interesting how that works. Don't mess with our entertainment, I guess, is the moral.

don't have any problems with dish so not sure why theyre at #98 other then the fact that they don't give in to shifty practices like denial of programing that some companies do to get better deals.(like fox news going down for about a month because they wanted them to change the contract on another channel whos contract wasn't up for about another year and a half. Also see the AMC black out in which AMC wanted more money and turned off their feed to try and pressure dish into settling.)

as for Comcast well ive never used it a lot of my friends have and they hate it due to lack of customer service and way too many drops in connectivity.

Is it really a surprise that everyone hates their cable company? Their trying to force the government to pass laws that will let them charge even more money than they already do now, and they already do everything they can to make sure they don't have to actually improve their services.

Nigh Invulnerable:
People tend to get pissiest about their entertainment/internet connection if there's any kind of disruption in service. If the grocery store restroom is out of order, you never call and complain, but if the internet hiccups for 20 minutes, or the TV is out of commission for 5 minutes, we're on the phone screaming, "WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!" at the provider.

Lol. You're comparing failure of a free side convenience to the failure of your entire paid service mission.

How do you think people would react to going to the one and only grocery store they're allowed to use, only to find that there are no groceries? I've seen what happens if one out of many local stores simply runs out of eggs. A truly comparable scenario would, I think, not be pretty.

Nigh Invulnerable:
Having worked for several cable/satellite companies now, I'm hardly surprised. People tend to get pissiest about their entertainment/internet connection if there's any kind of disruption in service. If the grocery store restroom is out of order, you never call and complain, but if the internet hiccups for 20 minutes, or the TV is out of commission for 5 minutes, we're on the phone screaming, "WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!" at the provider. Interesting how that works. Don't mess with our entertainment, I guess, is the moral.

Well if my electric, gas or water went out for the more than five minutes I would be on the phone for those too. Internet just isn't a side piece of entertainment its a peice of critical (and expensive) infrastructure.

I'm surprised Amazon was so high up there. I've not had any issues with them in any way. Am I that badly out of touch?

Hawk eye1466:
Is it really a surprise that everyone hates their cable company? Their trying to force the government to pass laws that will let them charge even more money than they already do now, and they already do everything they can to make sure they don't have to actually improve their services.

Pretty much this. Grass grows, sun shines, birds sing and the cable companies are evil pricks.

OT: No surprise here but it's strange in my area, I actually have people who give a shit when I call the helplines, guess those are the "trouble makers" for Comcast.

thebobmaster:
I'm surprised Amazon was so high up there. I've not had any issues with them in any way. Am I that badly out of touch?

You are misreading the list. The "top" companies on this list (like Wegmans and Amazon) are generally seen as "good" by the public. The bottom of the list (Goldman Sachs, Comcast, etc.) are seen as "bad."

Is hated the right word, or just least liked? Also, how is Wegmans high profile if it's just in a portion of one state? Were these 27,000 Americans all northeasterners?

Charter's appearance at the bottom of that list has me a bit confused. I used 'em when I was living in far, FAR upstate New York and never, EVER had any problems with them.

Guess I was lucky. :\

Pyrian:

Nigh Invulnerable:
People tend to get pissiest about their entertainment/internet connection if there's any kind of disruption in service. If the grocery store restroom is out of order, you never call and complain, but if the internet hiccups for 20 minutes, or the TV is out of commission for 5 minutes, we're on the phone screaming, "WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!" at the provider.

Lol. You're comparing failure of a free side convenience to the failure of your entire paid service mission.

How do you think people would react to going to the one and only grocery store they're allowed to use, only to find that there are no groceries? I've seen what happens if one out of many local stores simply runs out of eggs. A truly comparable scenario would, I think, not be pretty.

If the only grocery store in town was out of all things, I'd probably drive to another store. It'd suck and be a bit "WTF?" but there's likely a reason for it.

And my point is that with as much infrastructure, and points of failure in potentia, it's impressive that there aren't more outages for most internet/tv providers. Yeah, they should reimburse people for when something is down for a period, but I think people freaking out over 5 minutes and saying they "hate" the company is silly. If they're consistently crapping out, switch providers and find another option, duh, that's what capitalism is all about. Hating them for their shit customer service and billing practices? Whole different matter :P

Micah Weil:
Charter's appearance at the bottom of that list has me a bit confused. I used 'em when I was living in far, FAR upstate New York and never, EVER had any problems with them.

Guess I was lucky. :\

Because 'Products & Services' isn't the only part of what ever equation they use to calculate it. Maybe they didn't plant enough trees so failed the 'Social Responsibility' portion of the test.

Trying to total the scores is rather stupid anyways

Products & Services - Important to customers
Workplace Environment - Important to Employees
Financial Performance - Important to Investors
Vision & Leadership - Important to managers?
Emotional Appeal - Important to hipsters and airheads
Social Responsibility - Important to SJWs

J Tyran:

Nigh Invulnerable:

Well if my electric, gas or water went out for the more than five minutes I would be on the phone for those too. Internet just isn't a side piece of entertainment its a peice of critical (and expensive) infrastructure.

I do agree that if my business/livelihood depended on an internet connection being on constantly, I'd be really annoyed if my provider shat the bed and died. However, a 5 minute downtime likely will not spell the end and if the provider does reimburse me for it, fine, it's inconvenient for a short period. Also, I wouldn't say my gas or water company is "evil" or "I hate you!" at them for an outage. Things happen, power goes out for a few days when the snow causes trees to collapse, I get it.

Nigh Invulnerable:

J Tyran:

Nigh Invulnerable:

I do agree that if my business/livelihood depended on an internet connection being on constantly, I'd be really annoyed if my provider shat the bed and died. However, a 5 minute downtime likely will not spell the end and if the provider does reimburse me for it, fine, it's inconvenient for a short period. Also, I wouldn't say my gas or water company is "evil" or "I hate you!" at them for an outage. Things happen, power goes out for a few days when the snow causes trees to collapse, I get it.

It isn't just the individual outage that riles people up though, in some cases its something that happens often or has been going on for weeks. They are wound up about the price, the level of service they get and often at the piss poor customer service they get.

Factor in all that and when it goes out they have had enough, I mean here people are getting the same way with gas and electric suppliers. The shit the US has with cable providers we get with our energy suppliers and the combination of all the factors above soon get people to boiling point.

Ukomba:
Is hated the right word, or just least liked? Also, how is Wegmans high profile if it's just in a portion of one state? Were these 27,000 Americans all northeasterners?

When you're not from a part of the country where there's a Wegmans, and you visit a friend or go on a trip where there is a Wegmans, it only takes one trip to make a convert.

I went to college in Erie, PA, (Wegmans terrority) and my mom, who at the time lived in Cleveland (no Wegmans), would come to visit Wegmans, and take me along so I could get groceries.

By my senior year, she had a car full of her friends who wanted to make the 2 hour drive to go to Wegmans. All of them had membership cards. Everyone I know has a story of how they introduced someone to Wegmans.

It is by far the nicest grocery store that treats their customers and their employees right. It helps that it's a private, family run corp.

I can confirm its Time Warner Cable, Devin.

I'm a Network Engineer at Charter. Yes, we actually feed on your misery :).

psychopez:

Ukomba:

When you're not from a part of the country where there's a Wegmans, and you visit a friend or go on a trip where there is a Wegmans, it only takes one trip to make a convert.

I went to college in Erie, PA, (Wegmans terrority) and my mom, who at the time lived in Cleveland (no Wegmans), would come to visit Wegmans, and take me along so I could get groceries.

By my senior year, she had a car full of her friends who wanted to make the 2 hour drive to go to Wegmans. All of them had membership cards. Everyone I know has a story of how they introduced someone to Wegmans.

It is by far the nicest grocery store that treats their customers and their employees right. It helps that it's a private, family run corp.

Seriously? I'm west coast born and raised so I'd never even heard of the place until now, now I'm curious.

Haha, going through the list, I spotted "YUM! Brands"

I'm having a hard time imagining anyone mumbling, "F**king YUM brands, causing f**king world wars, hunger and disease. It's the tool of the devil!"

Devin Connors:

thebobmaster:

You are misreading the list. The "top" companies on this list (like Wegmans and Amazon) are generally seen as "good" by the public. The bottom of the list (Goldman Sachs, Comcast, etc.) are seen as "bad."

Oh, OK. Misread the article. Thanks for the info.

Jiggle Counter:
Haha, going through the list, I spotted "YUM! Brands"

I'm having a hard time imagining anyone mumbling, "F**king YUM brands, causing f**king world wars, hunger and disease. It's the tool of the devil!"

Eh. It's the company that owns KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hunt, and a few others...I can see why people wouldn't like them.

Captcha:
Too salty!
Oh is that why?

EA: "What's that? Somebody out there is hated more than we are? Challenge accepted, I say!"

Just wait. It's coming.

Wegman's is local to my neck of the woods and they are deserving of a good rating. The staff is friendly and helpful. Much of the produce is locally sourced. Their deli, bakery, and hot bar are all excellent. About the only complaint I could have is that the aisles in some the stores are too narrow.

Wegman's is definitely expanding. Right now they've got a few branches out in NJ. I anxiously await the moment they open up shop in Philly, because there's quite a few products they have that I've not been able to find anywhere else (except for on Amazon, where independent retailers charge exorbitant prices that I would rather die than pay). It's nice to hear that they're amazing in service, and not just in products.

Nigh Invulnerable:

J Tyran:

Nigh Invulnerable:

But that's not what happens. Nobody "hates" their ISP over a single 5 minute outage. If you take a peek at where people are doing the complaining, the problems are numerous, including frequent outages, connection speeds consistently and significantly below what's advertised, bandwidth limits inconsistent with what modern use requires, abysmal speed overall when compared to other areas in the world, anti-competitive practices... need I go on?

I really hate the idea that I'm going to have to go back to the US in a few years. I've had nearly a decade of great internet, and I'm not too keen on having to deal with the dogshit that American ISPs try to pass off as high speed internet.

Aw man, statistics based on arbitrary, subjective, and hard to quantify information, awesome.

Nigh Invulnerable:

Lots of people work from home or support their work from home in significant ways. Not having service for 20 minutes during an important meeting can have very serious ramifications. But, it's also what you're grousing about too.

Nigh Invulnerable:

I dont go to a grocery store to use a restroom but i do pay for internet to get uninterrupted service. i host things that require to constantly be acessible online. 100% of the time. any time the service would go down without prior anouncement would account to complain. luckily i only had to do it once in 2 years with this provider.

If i went to a groccery store and had to wait 20 minutes at a checkout because their cash machines were constantly crashing i would complain too. that doesnt happen though.

Nigh Invulnerable:

If the only grocery store in town was out of all things, I'd probably drive to another store. It'd suck and be a bit "WTF?" but there's likely a reason for it.

I dont think you understand. in comparable scenario there are no other stores

Nigh Invulnerable:
Also, I wouldn't say my gas or water company is "evil" or "I hate you!" at them for an outage. Things happen, power goes out for a few days when the snow causes trees to collapse, I get it.

What if your water company would have water outage for as long as a day something like once a week (ignoring for the moment that that is not even legal nowadays)? And that they would take in billions in government subsidies to make sure there are no outages like that and the things would not improve?

And you should see the central heating service hate here. half the people i know calls them evil and for good reason.

Nigh Invulnerable:
If they're consistently crapping out, switch providers and find another option, duh, that's what capitalism is all about.

Except, across large swaths of the US, people have, at best, two options for TV and high-speed internet access. Many have only one.

I happen to fall in the latter. My one and ONLY option for high-speed internet is Comcast. I quite literally have no other option, and I don't even live in what one might consider the boonies.

So, am I allowed to bitch and complain about Comcast's shitty service, inconsistent up/down speeds, throttling, piss poor signal strength, and needlessly, unnecessarily, exuberantly high monthly fees? Or should I just 'grin and bear it', since Comcast's near monopoly on service gives me no other option?

Strazdas:
TRIM

I dont go to a grocery store to use a restroom but i do pay for internet to get uninterrupted service. i host things that require to constantly be acessible online. 100% of the time. any time the service would go down without prior anouncement would account to complain. luckily i only had to do it once in 2 years with this provider.

If i went to a groccery store and had to wait 20 minutes at a checkout because their cash machines were constantly crashing i would complain too. that doesnt happen though.

TRIM

You do realize it's completely unreasonable to expect 100% reliability from ANY service or device, right? I'm not saying there aren't things that are 99.9999% reliable, but internet service is not one of them. Too many points of potential faults to guarantee that.

Vigormortis:

Nigh Invulnerable:
If they're consistently crapping out, switch providers and find another option, duh, that's what capitalism is all about.

Except, across large swaths of the US, people have, at best, two options for TV and high-speed internet access. Many have only one.

I happen to fall in the latter. My one and ONLY option for high-speed internet is Comcast. I quite literally have no other option, and I don't even live in what one might consider the boonies.

So, am I allowed to bitch and complain about Comcast's shitty service, inconsistent up/down speeds, throttling, piss poor signal strength, and needlessly, unnecessarily, exuberantly high monthly fees? Or should I just 'grin and bear it', since Comcast's near monopoly on service gives me no other option?

Do you have a DSL provider? Cause that'd be another option for internet. Sure, it's not as fast as the cable connection, but you don't HAVE to use to Comcast. My point is that people expect the fastest, biggest, etc. with no interruptions, and that is simply not a realistic expectation. Therefore, getting butthurt about a 15 minute interruption every so often is just silly.

Nigh Invulnerable:

You do realize it's completely unreasonable to expect 100% reliability from ANY service or device, right? I'm not saying there aren't things that are 99.9999% reliable, but internet service is not one of them. Too many points of potential faults to guarantee that.

I do, but when i i say i expect 100% service i mean no random blackouts because the ISP decided to save money on a node. I can understand that there are traffic hickups and that accidents happen. and i already mentioned that planned maintenance is fine (they notify all users in advance about that). Its just that when the contract says 99.9% uptime i want them to actually mean it.

Nigh Invulnerable:

Do you have a DSL provider?

im yet to see an ISP that gives anything above ADSL2 to home users and thats limited to 12 Mbit/s and 3.5 Mbit/s. It would not fit his high speed requirement not to even mention that upload discrimination is something that no customer should tolerate.

Nigh Invulnerable:

I've also worked for several cable companies and ISPs (as a freelance contractor), and while I understand the pain of having to deal with unreasonable/dishonest customers (they're in every business) I think it's HIGHLY disingenuous to dismiss all complaints as petty whining about brief outages.

Namely because I have seen and experience the shit some of these companies will pull first hand.

I've seen direct evidence of throttling down specific households and non-malign services, only to offer "upgrades" to speeds shortly thereafter (with a new contract of course).

"Did you actually pay for that 10-25 Mbps connection?"
Well thanks to a number of factors ("bad" QoS weighting, shad backend performance, outdated hardware, shitty cables, and apathetic customer service) you'll be lucky to see any more than 70% of that rate for most websites and common online services in my region if AT ALL.

And of course, I've had the pleasure of fixing extremely shoddy on-site work by the ISP techs.
("Hey guys, I'm going to run this cable right along the 4 AMP line for your washer and dryer, just so I can save the 5-10 minutes it takes to create a 3 foot bypass. Oh, and have fun with your new router in 5 months; you'll need one when the terminal finally blows out from the frequent power spikes from you doing your laundry.")

If that wasn't bad enough, my region's monthly rates have skyrocketed despite the service stagnating (or sometimes getting WORSE).
My neighborhood went from 40 USD/mo for a basic 4 Mbps connection (just internet) in 2003 to 85 USD/month for 10 Mbps in 2013. Now, 25 Mbps is soon to be the new low end for "High Speed Internet" and while a 25 Mbps connection is available in my service region, it's only as part a 120 USD/mo combo package from Comcast.

I got a little perspective on that deal recently when I visited my friend in Iowa last month.
He has an equivalent of that 25 Mbps package for 65 USD/mo (not from Comcast).
The difference? His region has competition.

ADSL is about 17/month there vs 35 here, and there's a local business-sponsored ISP competing with the cable giants.
It probably helps that his city's chamber of commerce aren't a bunch of corrupt fuckheads taking blow on the side from Comcast...but I digress.

Point is: It's still nowhere near as good as many other developed countries, but it's a damn sight better than what I have available, and what I have is shitty DSL, overpriced Comcast and incredibly overpriced Verizon 4G wireless.

Speaking of Verizon; in 2010, they were advertising FIOS service as coming to my region but shortly after Comcast arrived (supplanting an old subsidiary of theirs, Insight Digital, IIRC) those FIOS offers suddenly vanished.

"Coincidentally" my DSL carrier quietly changed over from Verizon to Frontier shortly after that, and the service quality PLUMMETED for a solid five months thereafter.

I've supposedly got a 3.5 Mbps connection now, but I'm damn lucky if it averages more than 250KB/sec on ANYTHING.
(it was closer to 350KB/sec under Verizon, still not up to the effective 430KB/sec advertised, but within acceptable limits; beats the hell out of 56k, which I was on until 2009 because of the ISP lunacy in my township)

Anyway, perhaps that was self-fulfilling prophecy, since checking for FIOS service+rates now, I see that the closest offer is near central Chicagoland, with a 25Mbps connection bundle package for 80 USD/mo (TV and other stuff included).
That's pretty close to the standard cable rates for that area too. I bet they could do better if they DIDN'T force it as a package, but hey, when in Rome..

Nigh Invulnerable:

Do you have a DSL provider? Cause that'd be another option for internet. Sure, it's not as fast as the cable connection, but you don't HAVE to use to Comcast.

No, I do. I quite literally have to use Comcast. And, even if decent DSL were an option (the best I can get beyond Comcast is service barely above dial-up), the bandwidth would not suit my needs. I need high bandwidth and fast up/down speeds, for pleasure and for business.

My point is that people expect the fastest, biggest, etc. with no interruptions, and that is simply not a realistic expectation. Therefore, getting butthurt about a 15 minute interruption every so often is just silly.

I didn't say I entirely disagree. I know how logistically complex tel-com infrastructure is. But when I'm paying exuberant prices as compared to, say, the average European, for my high-speed service, and that service is the very definition of unreliable and inconsistent, I think I've the right to bitch about it. Especially when, as is my case, part of one's livelihood depends on such a service and no other option is available, whether from scummy business practices or local, governmental corruption.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24528383

In the US, our tel-com infrastructure, as complex as it may be, is a fucking joke. And the amount our ISPs charge us for use of that outdated, antiquated infrastructure is appalling.

For the record: I wasn't 'attacking' you when I quoted your post. It's just that this stuff gets my ire up, given my firsthand experience with it, and your post gave me an excuse to vent. My apologies if that's how it seemed.

Vigormortis:

Nigh Invulnerable:

Do you have a DSL provider? Cause that'd be another option for internet. Sure, it's not as fast as the cable connection, but you don't HAVE to use to Comcast.

No, I do. I quite literally have to use Comcast. And, even if decent DSL were an option (the best I can get beyond Comcast is service barely above dial-up), the bandwidth would not suit my needs. I need high bandwidth and fast up/down speeds, for pleasure and for business.

My point is that people expect the fastest, biggest, etc. with no interruptions, and that is simply not a realistic expectation. Therefore, getting butthurt about a 15 minute interruption every so often is just silly.

I didn't say I entirely disagree. I know how logistically complex tel-com infrastructure is. But when I'm paying exuberant prices as compared to, say, the average European, for my high-speed service, and that service is the very definition of unreliable and inconsistent, I think I've the right to bitch about it. Especially when, as is my case, part of one's livelihood depends on such a service and no other option is available, whether from scummy business practices or local, governmental corruption.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24528383

In the US, our tel-com infrastructure, as complex as it may be, is a fucking joke. And the amount our ISPs charge us for use of that outdated, antiquated infrastructure is appalling.

For the record: I wasn't 'attacking' you when I quoted your post. It's just that this stuff gets my ire up, given my firsthand experience with it, and your post gave me an excuse to vent. My apologies if that's how it seemed.

Oh, I'm not feeling like you were attacking me at all, so don't worry. I just get a bit annoyed when people piss and moan about something where they do have options, but act like they don't. I realize that if a person needs faster internet, there may only be one reasonable option, and most cable companies suck to their customers so complaining about them is pretty reasonable. However, I have worked for a few telecom places, and the level of complexity keeping it running is mind boggling.That said, the reason it is so antiquated has more to do with the fact that our country is fucking enormous. European countries, southeast Asia, etc. with better internet have a bit less geography to cover.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here