Spider-Man Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe - Update

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Spider-Man Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe - Update

Spider-Man will join the MCU in an upcoming movie followed by a new stand-alone film scheduled to release in July 2017.

Update: The Wall Street Journal (via ComingSoon) has reported that the Marvel Cinematic Universe's version of Spider-Man will debut in Captain America: Civil War. Sony Picture's planned Sinister Six film is also being delayed so the studio can rethink it and Andrew Garfield has been confirmed as being finished with the role.

Original Story: It's happening. It's really happening.

After rumors, speculation and about a bajillion "wish upon a star" moments from comic fans, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios announced late yesterday evening that Spider-Man will be officially joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

According to the terms of a deal described at the official Marvel website, Spider-Man will appear in a future Marvel film tied to the ongoing continuity of the MCU. After that, Sony Pictures will collaborate with Marvel's Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal to produce a new stand-alone film starring the character. Sony will "continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films."

Speaking about the new deal Disney CEO Bob Iger stated that Disney and Marvel are "thrilled" by the prospect of bringing everyone's favorite webslinger into the MCU. "Spider-Man is one of Marvel's great characters, beloved around the world," said Iger. "We're thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building." Sony Pictures president Doug Belgrad would go on to describe the collaboration as "the perfect way to take Peter Parker's story into the future."

The new stand-alone Spider-Man will hit theaters on July 28th, 2017. Notably, no actors were named in the announcement, including the current man behind the mask Andrew Garfield. While we'll have to wait for the companies to explicitly say he's being removed from the series, his absence from Marvel's posting would definitely seem to give credence to rumors that the actor's web-slinging days are over. We'll also be interested to see if Spider-Man makes his MCU debut in Captain America: Civil War, another tidbit that came out during last year's Sony hack.

Source: Marvel

$10 says the first line when Spiderman bumps into the Avengers is "who the hell is this kid?"

Well, it sounded like this was going to happen, based on various rumors over the last few weeks.

MovieBob is going to have a field day with this one.

It's about time. I hope they keep Garfield on, and tie the other Amazing Spider-Man films events in.

Hmmm. On one hand I'm happy, because Spider-Man is great and deserves... Y'now... GOOD movies.

On the other hand, I was kiiiind of hoping that Disney's lack of Spider-Man would force them to be a bit creative to find a stand-in. Sort of like how the Inhumans are getting a push because they can't use the X-Men.

Spider-Woman could be flubbed to have the powerset, the new Mrs. Marvel could be the "Popular and conflicted young hero" replacement for the Civil War storyline... If they wanted to throw in a younger hero for their own movie, there are plenty of choices.

But yeah. Now they'll just use Spider-Man for all those. Not a bad choice because Spider-Man is awesome, but now everything's going to be the slightest bit more predictable.

I personally would have preferred The X-Men over Spiderman, but the implications of bringing them over would probably collapse the MCU. ( Then again X-Men just reset their timeline so why not an extended Infinity War)

Im about to start work and no one gives a shit apart from me. No comic book fans here :(

ZeroAxis:
I personally would have preferred The X-Men over Spiderman, but the implications of bringing them over would probably collapse the MCU. ( Then again X-Men just reset their timeline so why not an extended Infinity War)

I always held the assumed to be controversial opinion that the X-men should remain seperate from the rest of the marvel universe in all its forms. The "Powered people as stand ins for marginalized groups" metaphor works better when there aren't a whole ton of other powered people running around...

ShirowShirow:

ZeroAxis:

I always held the assumed to be controversial opinion that the X-men should remain seperate from the rest of the marvel universe in all its forms. The "Powered people as stand ins for marginalized groups" metaphor works better when there aren't a whole ton of other powered people running around...

Actually, I think it works much better that way. If it's just the X-Men, then it's not a great metaphor, since realistically, having people who can blow up cities on a whim is legitimately a cause for concern and fear. On the other hand, if you've got a bunch of people like that running around, except some of them are hailed as heroes and others hailed as horrible freaks, then it works to highlight the inanity and arbitrary nature of racism and other types of discrimination.

This is actually really good news.

Personally, I think they just need to break from the older Spider Man movies as much as possible. Just, kind of make this Spider Man his own thing. Maybe use the new guy from the comics? Miles Morales or something? He'd definitely be a big change from Maguire or Garfield's Spidermen, and being totally honest, the Avengers could use a tiny bit of extra color mixed in there. They did already use the Ultimate version of Nick Fury to change his race around and allow Sam Jackson to play him.

I'm really excited to see what interesting things they can do with the Spider Man rogues gallery as well. Lots of fun villains in there to mix in to the movies, or even Agents of SHIELD and stuff. Now if only Marvel could swoop in and rescue the Fantastic Four so we can get some Doctor Doom mixed into this whole cinematic universe.

I just hope that the Ant Man movie(s) let them introduce Wasp, or Giant Girl, or whatever form of her is most convenient to bring in. I always kind of liked her, and I know in one of the Marvel comic series, she had really great chemistry with Spider Man. Lots of witty banter and teamwork.

I am still holding out hope that my dream-team of Giant Girl, Squirrel Girl and Black Widow can come together to just be, unbearably awesome. :D

In a word: yay!

There's still a bit of trepidation here. Sony Pictures hasn't handled the Spider-Man license particularly well post-Raimi, and Spider-Man's inclusion could very well bring down the "Cinematic Universe" overall.

On the other hand, this does set a lovely precedent for other Sony-owned Marvel characters, such as the Fantastic Four, and - if it does well enough - gives 20th Century Fox incentive to let the X-Men and mutants rejoin Marvel cannon as well.

For now, let's see how this goes; I hope the weight of greater continuity will temper the Spider-Man franchise so it's more in line with the other Marvel greats so far (without necessarily copying them, of course).

WOOOOOO! I wonder who they're going to cast. I for one am totally fine if they choose Andrew Garfield again.

rcs619:

I just hope that the Ant Man movie(s) let them introduce Wasp, or Giant Girl, or whatever form of her is most convenient to bring in. I always kind of liked her, and I know in one of the Marvel comic series, she had really great chemistry with Spider Man. Lots of witty banter and teamwork.

I am still holding out hope that my dream-team of Giant Girl, Squirrel Girl and Black Widow can come together to just be, unbearably awesome. :D

Heh, last I heard Wasp is killed in Ant-Man's story before it actually begins.

The girl who becomes Stature is in it though, albeit at the age of like five.

This pleases me.

Should this agreement fall through, however, I shall not be pleased.

2xDouble:
In a word: yay!

There's still a bit of trepidation here. Sony Pictures hasn't handled the Spider-Man license particularly well post-Raimi, and Spider-Man's inclusion could very well bring down the "Cinematic Universe" overall.

On the other hand, this does set a lovely precedent for other Sony-owned Marvel characters, such as the Fantastic Four, and - if it does well enough - gives 20th Century Fox incentive to let the X-Men and mutants rejoin Marvel cannon as well.

For now, let's see how this goes; I hope the weight of greater continuity will temper the Spider-Man franchise so it's more in line with the other Marvel greats so far (without necessarily copying them, of course).

Fox owns the Fantastic Four and X-men and the heads of Fox and Disney HATE each other that's why there has never been even a mention of a deal.

I like the ASM films and prefer them to a host of boring bad guy filled MCU films (IM3, Thor 2, GoTG,) and just not that good MCU films (Hulk, Thor).

But I swear if they treat Spiderman as a fucking sidekick in the MCU like Disney does in the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon (at least in the handful of episodes I could tolerate before I screamed "they replaced Spectacular Spiderman with this shit") I am through with the MCU forever.

I wonder how much control Sony will still have over the character. For example, will the Spider Man that shows up in the Marvel Cinematic movies be played by the same guy as the one in the Sony films? Or will Disney get their own actor in the same way they did with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (not exactly the same thing but you know what I mean). Because I can see Disney using this opportunity to bury Sony Pictures' version of Spider-Man and presenting their "official" version of the character.

I really hope they keep Andrew Garfield. He fit the role infinitely better than Tobey Maguire.

Guess that describes it best.

Oops forgot there was an official thread. Might as well copy my post from the other thread before it gets locked:

Ohmygod I can't believe that actually happened. I never expected this to happen, not until Sony had milked their Sinister 6 movie and another sequel. BUT there is one bad thing about this:

In wake of new Spider-Man movie, Thor 3 now comes out 11/3/17, Black Panther 7/6/18, Captain Marvel 11/2/18, Inhumans 7/12/19

(Source)

But also, some good things:

Update: Sony will NOT release "Sinister Six" in Nov 2016, source says. Sony delaying, rethinking, but still developing in light of new deal

Possibly they might still release it, but recasting it or rewriting it seeing as though it now takes place in the MCU universe?

AbsoluteVirtue18:
It's about time. I hope they keep Garfield on, and tie the other Amazing Spider-Man films events in.

Xerosch:
I really hope they keep Andrew Garfield. He fit the role infinitely better than Tobey Maguire.

They're getting rid of him.

-Double post ignore this-

Sony retaining Creative Control? Ha. They know they suck, they have seen the stellar work put in to the MCU, and the only way they will get a piece of that pie is to let the Marvel/Disney creative team do it's thing. So glad this won't be tying in to the horribly stupid ASM plotline.

Sony must really want that sweet sweet Avengers money.

That is wonderful news, now if only Fantastic Four and X-Men come back to Marvel too!

no offense to Andrew Garfield, but i seriously hope he doesn't get the part. Marvel needs to seperate themselves from those movies. (and honestly, the Sam Raimi films too)

to me, this sounds like sony didn't wanna give up the franchise, but were well aware that they had no idea how to make a spiderman movie. i'm okay with this compromise, though i hate the "final creative control" line. and honestly, i'd have just liked to see sony step off altogether. but, i'll take what i can get.

Ugh...

In the words of Mr Jensen: I never wanted asked for this. They're retaining creative control? Seriously? Neither Sony nor Fox can match the quality or savvy of Marvel Studios, so if it's still the headless chickens at Sony pulling the strings, then the MCU just took a major hit in quality control.

I hoped Garfield's Spidey would be ditched, quietly forgotten about, and then Miles Morales could've joined the MCU. Sod Parker - he's been done to death on the screen already. Diversity/representation's important, right? Well, Morales both draws a clear line between the Sony clusterfuck and the MCU (making Spidey more than just another Parker reboot), and ticks that box. Also, I think Morales suit design is one of the best Spidey designs of all time, so an MCU version of that could be pretty badass.

Thats all well and good, but why is Sony getting final creative control? We already know where that got them.

Also cant help but wonder if theyre going to use a Spidey thats not Peter Parker, and what this means for that Sinister Six movie Sony had planned.

Sounds like a temporary fix at best.

If I understand correctly, Marvel gets to incorporate Spiderman into one MCU movie on its own terms, and then Sony continues to produce movies on it's own terms after that, although with guidance coming from Marvel. Marvel gets some control in the direction, and Sony gets a solid springboard for further development.

Problem is, that in no way means that Marvel CAN push Sony in a good direction, or that future Spidey films will be part of the MCU canon.

Best case scenario: Sony defers to Marvel's vision whenever it can, ties Spidey into the MCU whenever possible, does nothing which could upset continuity, and we even see cameos from other MCU characters.

Worst case scenario: Sony uses the MCU tie-in to renew interest in Spidey, then effectively tells Marvel to shove it, because Sony still owns the character and has creative control. Marvel is faced with having to incorporate the ASM universe into the MCU, or pretending it doesn't exist, and ends up regretting its greed at getting one of its favourite characters into the MCU, no matter the cost.

Because Sony is the one still holding all the Spiderman cards.

unacomn:
-awesome pic-

Guess that describes it best.

I lost it. XD

Great news, I just hope that Sony won't nag too much and let marvel do things they want for the movie.

Darth Rosenberg:
Ugh...

In the words of Mr Jensen: I never asked for this. They're retaining creative control? Seriously? Neither Sony nor Fox can match the quality or savvy of Marvel Studios, so if it's still the headless chickens at Sony pulling the strings, then the MCU just took a major hit in quality control.

I hoped Garfield's Spidey would be ditched, quietly forgotten about, and then Miles Morales could've joined the MCU. Sod Parker - he's been done to death on the screen already. Diversity/representation's important, right? Well, Morales both draws a clear line between the Sony clusterfuck and the MCU (making Spidey more than just another Parker reboot), and ticks that box. Also, I think Morales suit design is one of the best Spidey designs of all time, so an MCU version of that could be pretty badass.

Oh! Oh! Another good idea: Spider-Woman! The new Gwen Stacy version. Have Peter Parker as the VILLAIN. Not an intentional one. Use the same story of Peter Parker morphing into the Lizard as in the comics and dying tragically. Maybe have him turn into a giant spider beast instead since we just had the Lizard.

And things could get REAL META in that while he dies he's like "I thought I was always destined... To be the hero..."

Hell, throw Miles Morales in there too. Have him be the one who just got his powers, and have Spider-Gwen show shim the web-ropes as a way to flesh out the new continuity.

Call it "Spiders". Throw in a stinger teasing Agent Venom.

It'll never happen, but come on. Those two spider-costumes fighting back-to-back is too cool a mental image.

mjharper:
Sounds like a temporary fix at best.

If I understand correctly, Marvel gets to incorporate Spiderman into one MCU movie on its own terms, and then Sony continues to produce movies on it's own terms after that, although with guidance coming from Marvel. Marvel gets some control in the direction, and Sony gets a solid springboard for further development.

Problem is, that in no way means that Marvel CAN push Sony in a good direction, or that future Spidey films will be part of the MCU canon.

Best case scenario: Sony defers to Marvel's vision whenever it can, ties Spidey into the MCU whenever possible, does nothing which could upset continuity, and we even see cameos from other MCU characters.

Worst case scenario: Sony uses the MCU tie-in to renew interest in Spidey, then effectively tells Marvel to shove it, because Sony still owns the character and has creative control. Marvel is faced with having to incorporate the ASM universe into the MCU, or pretending it doesn't exist, and ends up regretting its greed at getting one of its favourite characters into the MCU, no matter the cost.

Because Sony is the one still holding all the Spiderman cards.

Honestly, Marvel is the one with all the power in this relationship. The important thing to remember is that Marvel doesn't *need* Spider Man for their Cinematic Universe. They were doing just fine before, and doing a whole lot better than Sony has been doing on the superhero front. If you go by some of the leaks from before, it was Sony HQ that was pressuring the film division to make a deal with Marvel. They came crawling to Marvel wanting a piece of the pie, not the other way around.

The fact that they specifically mentioned that Sony would be working with Marvel representatives while 'retaining some creative control' is very telling I think. Either Sony plays ball and does what Marvel tells it to, or Marvel just writes Spidey out of their billion dollar multimedia franchise and Sony goes back to making its own, mostly-forgettable, spider man movies. Sony holds the Spider Man cards in the sense that they still technically hold the right to the character, but Marvel is the one who holds all the keys to the kingdom at the moment. They're allowing Sony to be a part of the good thing they've got going, and Sony is going to know that they need Marvel a whole lot more than Marvel needs them.

And really, Sony *has* to keep playing ball. Because, let's say they try to break away and do Spider Man from scratch again after using Marvel for hype. Well, they can't use that same form of the character any more, because it's tied to the MCU, and Marvel would sue the hell out of them for using MCU assets without permission. They would almost certainly have to reboot Spider Man for a fourth time. Start from square one yet again. I imagine there are all sorts of fun, criss-crossing contracts regarding this whole deal.

And I really doubt they would use the ASM franchise. Sony, and a decent chunk of the public, aren't that fond of it currently, and Andrew Garfield is almost certainly out as Spider Man. Most likely, they decide to cut their losses regarding ASM and reboot the franchise for a third time (hopefully avoiding a third origin story) specifically to be tied into the MCU. And if Sony screws it up or doesn't play ball, they're back out in the cold, unable to use the Spider Man they just rebooted to tie into Marvel.

I hope they go with a new direction, film-wise. The MCU already has a film deliberately evoking the past (Captain America: The First Avenger), as well as two that are grim (Iron Man 3) and gritty (Captain America: The Winter Soldier).

Maybe just make a silly film for Spider-Man, I mean Guardians seemed to prove that people aren't sick of it even after Thor, Captain America and Thor 2.

ShirowShirow:
Oh! Oh! Another good idea: Spider-Woman!

Heh, your scenario was too meta, but I hadn't thought of an XX Spidey. I'd go with Jessica Drew, though, as I love the red/yellow design with her black hair.

(if I could pick one character to be effectively replaced as far as gender goes, it'd be Thor Odinson - just because Lady 'title?' Thor looks so damn cool)

I always wondered why Sony didn't just finance the films and let Disney staff it with their own creative content and work it into the MCU. I'm positive they could work out a deal that would see them both get tons of cash and basically everything that Kevin Feige touches right now is gold.

It'd be like me giving someone 100 dollars and then a year later having them give me back 1000 without me having to do anything. It hardly seems like a bad idea.

Cool, maybe Sony can impart a bit of their more common man themes from their movies to try and stem Marvels, how do I put this delicately, fascist view of heroes and normals.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here