Boston Dynamics "Spot" Doggie Robot Ensures Adorable Robopocalypse

Boston Dynamics "Spot" Doggie Robot Ensures Adorable Robopocalypse

Terrible idea: Kicking a dog. Great idea: Trying to kick over a robot dog.

Boston Dynamics has a new robot to add to its collection, and this one smacks of man's best friend.

"Spot" is the Google-owned, DARPA-partnered firm's latest (public) robotic creation, and it's also the smallest four-legged, self-righting robot in BD's growing collection. Spot is powwered by electricity (battery packs), uses hydraulic actuation in its limbs to move, and, as evidenced by the above video, is pretty tough to knock over. The 160-pound Spot can also climb stairs, hills, and other mild obstacles, all while being able to outrun other Boston Dynamics robots -- including the company's LS3 creation.

Spot is heavier than most dogs -- and it walks more like a horse than the family mutt -- but it's small and agile enough to be used in most indoor situations. This means Spot can be used in a wider set of scenarios, including building search and rescue, hazardous zone navigation, and so on.

Spot joins a family of Boston Dynamics robots, the most famous of which is likely LS3, the hulking, four-legged cargo transport that's been active since 2012. There's also BigDog (essentially a larger version of Spot), and Cheetah (also known as WildCat), which can hit speeds in excess of 29 mph (when tethered).

Source: Boston Dynamics

I really want to see a little kid riding that thing. Also, it actually bugged me to see the guy trying to kick it over. Time to start up PETR (People for the Ethical Treatment of Robots), or maybe PETRA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Robots and Androids).

Seriously, though, that is pretty cool. Although when I saw two of them together I suddenly had a vision of like fifty of them marching down a street and it was kind of terrifying.

If the future of warfare isn't galloping into battle atop robot steeds whilst clad in Iron Man suits then we're missing out on something seriously awesome.

I know what's going on my wishlist this Christmas!

I love watching the folks at Boston Dynamics constantly refining the design here. I see improved mobility and speed, but also diversity in function between the different models. It's all very exciting!

flying_whimsy:
I really want to see a little kid riding that thing. Also, it actually bugged me to see the guy trying to kick it over. Time to start up PETR (People for the Ethical Treatment of Robots), or maybe PETRA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Robots and Androids).

Me too! I wanted to yell "leave the poor robot alone!"

Wow that is a huge improvement compared to the last videos I saw of that bot.

Also I calling it right now, stop with the robot abuse! They will regret it later in the future!

1. Robot dogs (And robots in general) are awesome.

2. Roboticists are ASSHOLES.

No wonder there's gonna be a robot apocalypse! God-damned roboticists are always kicking the poor robot doggie.

flying_whimsy:

Wait, are you proposing organisation for euthanasia of robots? o_O
If yes, then once we will outfit these babies with armor and weapons we will unleash them on PETRA protest for target practice >:D
There are already plenty of lunatics out there, we do not need more.

Also- what's the point of quadruple robots? Isn't tracket/wheeled platform sturdier and simpler?

Heh, I guess they advanced beyond Bee power, humanity still has a long way to go before we stop getting our kicks from kicks. XD

It was so cute when it was recovering from getting kicked, I could almost see it thinking 'oh shit, what's going on, nevermind I got this'.

"No Robots were harmed in the making of this video"

However, we did try to.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or