Official: Neill Blomkamp To Direct Next Alien Movie - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Official: Neill Blomkamp To Direct Next Alien Movie - Update

Alien Movie Confirmed 310x

Ridley Scott will produce the film through Scott Free, but it is not a replacement for Prometheus 2.

Update: Neill Blomkamp's gradual shift from "working on an Alien project for fun," to "I might direct an Alien movie," has been upgraded to "Yes, I am definitely making an Alien movie now."

A few hours ago, Blomkamp posted a new Alien image to his Instagram account, with the quote, "Um... So I think it's officially my next film. #alien." (The image is embedded above as well.)

Variety is confirming the news, saying that Blomkamp has inked a deal with 20th Century Fox. While there's no official title yet, this is not going to be Prometheus 2, although Ridley Scott is producing both films through his Scott Free production company. Blomkamp's Alien film will take place "years," after Prometheus 2, but it's not yet official where in the universe's timeline the film will take place.

Other details are scarce at the moment, like if Sigourney Weaver is attached to the project. But as Hollywood usually goes, we should find out soon enough (by San Diego Comic-Con, at the latest).

Quite the turn of events! and it only took about six weeks.

Original Story: Just over a month ago, we posted a slew of concept art from an Alien sequel project that director Neill Blomkamp had been secretly working on for months. After saying that he wouldn't be investing anymore time in the project going forward, it appears as though Blomkamp's Alien is closer to happening than we originally thought.

During an interview with Uproxx, Blomkamp was asked about the concept art. "...when Chappie got heavily into post-production, I could take my foot off the gas a bit," said Blomkamp. "I was thinking about what I wanted to do next and I've been wanting to make an Alien film for like years and years."

Blomkamp then said that 21st Century Fox would make the film "tomorrow," if he asked them to, but Neill would have to "...mentally agree with that." After his experience working on the scrapped Halo film years ago, Blomkamp has avoided plunging into any sort of established IP or franchise. But judging from the concept art, and Fox's willingness to let Blomkamp run the show, perhaps he's finally ready to embrace an existing universe.

Alien 5, as it was being called online, could be a sequel to James Cameron's Aliens, playing some timeline tom foolery by essentially forgetting that David Fincher's Alien 3 ever happened. Check out the concept art gallery here.

Source: Uproxx

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease please please please please

I actually have faith in this guy, and if the film is going to go on the concept art, I guess Aliens Colonial Marines was useful in the Aliens canon after all.

Well that's put a smile on my face.

If my Alien canon (currently consisting of Alien, Alien: Isolation and Aliens) gets another entry, especially from one of the Sci-Fi directors that I trust the most in Hollywood at the moment... Yeah. This could be good. And I only got into the Alien-verse recently...

I have my concerns about the ages of the characters vs the people playing them however. Time-skip?

Oh, please, let this be a thing and let it be a glorious thing. We definitely need a good Alien movie aside from the first two entries and the leaked artwork look so promising.

Make it. Make It. MAKE IT. I don't care if they get new actors and jump off right at the tail end of Aliens, or if they use Tron: Legacy style CGI crayola models to make Ripley and Hicks look like they did in '86. It doesn't matter if they bring back Weaver and Beihn for some "jump ahead 20 years ahead plot." Blomkamp is now a proven director, and we have good reason to believe he can breath new life into a franchise that died during script rewrites in the late 80s.

Come on Hollywood, it won't take much to translate and market this to Asia. I know you love to make a quick buck with that newly tapped market.

OH LORD, PLEASE!

Let's forget that horrible, crappy, stupid Alien 3 movie even happened. Or Alien 4. Or Prometheus.

A train wreck after another.

I mean, they wouldn't have to ignore Alien 3. It's the weakest of the first three films, definitely, but it's got great atmosphere, and I really love the finality of it's ending. Well, finality if you ignore Resurrection, but that movie's practically a reboot considering how different it is from the others.

Anyway, why not just take those concepts and apply it to a different character. I love Ripley, but she isn't so essential that you cant do an Alien movie without her.

Czann:
OH LORD, PLEASE!

Let's forget that horrible, crappy, stupid Alien 3 movie even happened. Or Alien 4. Or Prometheus.

A train wreck after another.

Oh, c'mon. I'll agree with you on Prometheus (as the 'Alien' connection was just a lazy tie-in to bring in the fan-base), and I'll fight side-by-side with you on Resurrection, but Alien 3 was actually a very clever movie. Achingly 90's, but once past that a very good yarn with again the emphasis on a single xeno wreaking stealth-based havoc on a disbelieving and unprepared populace.

OT: Interested to see where this goes. As previously stated I'm a fan of Alien 3 and I don't mind this film slotting in-between Aliens and Alien 3. Of course there's always going to be the whole 'Why didn't Alien 3 Ripley remember all of this' undertone but it can't be worse than the last two alien films. Or the AvP films (which sprung from such a promising book series ... just goes to show if you want to ruin something unique and cool just give it to Hollywood).

Wow. That post turned out a lot bitchier than I'd intended it to be.

This is one of the very few directors I think could handle this right. For one, he's not afraid with making people uncomfortable. I mean, shit he's covered, apartheid, income and quality of life gap, and his new movie has something to do with reprogramming a police robot that's just ripe for some kind of discussion about the nature of the relationship between police and their community.

Shit, alien face rape seems almost easy to talk about if only because it's not likely to occur in physical reality. Still uncomfortable though.

I can't figure Blomkamp out. At first glance his movies seem original. But the more you look at them and the more he progresses they seem to descend further and further into a sort of "take something you have seen before and make it darker and more edgy with a heavy handed political undertone." District 13 was great. As I watched Elysium I kept looking and waiting for Battle Angel Alita to show up. You can't look at the trailers for Chappy and not immediately ask "who Dark Knighted "Short Circuit? Number Fiiive iiisss aliiivve!"

Although oddly enough regurgitating derivative stuff in a darker edgier way sorta kinda works for an Alien movie. And hey it's not like it could be worse than Prometheus could it?

Sharlto Copley is to be cast as the Alien, who is from South Africa and out for revenge after the end of Alien: Resurrection.

I'm all in for a proper Alien sequel, but I don't agree with having it set right after Aliens. Alien 3, although it was flawed, was a very good movie, especially the extended Assembly Cut. It was in tone and spirit much closer to the original vision from Ridley Scott. I for one would not like a direct sequel to Aliens where Hicks and Ripley play husband and wife for half of the movie. That's not what the Alien franchise is about, and although Aliens is a great action flick, Cameron really dumbed it down from what the original created. Basically it was a 80s gung-ho marines movie set in space (with cheesy one liners throughout), with the added annoyance of the family theme between Ridley, Hicks and Newt.

I mean no offence with this, but it's no coincidence that Alien 3 was received far better in Europe than in the US, both critically and commercially. Besides, Sigourney Weaver is getting old, and I hate forcing her into a role which she can't physically keep up they way we're accustomed to seeing her. Indy 4 faced much of the same problems with varying results. I'd much rather them introducing a new crew in Alien 5 and start fresh. If done properly, they can set the franchise up for more sequels in the future. With Ripley back in, that really won't be the case cause by the time Alien 6 comes around Sigourney will be basically retired. So start fresh now, otherwise they're just delaying the inevitable really.

havoc33:
I'm all in for a proper Alien sequel, but I don't agree with having it set right after Aliens. Alien 3, although it was flawed, was a very good movie, especially the extended Assembly Cut. It was in tone and spirit much closer to the original vision from Ridley Scott. I for one would not like a direct sequel to Aliens where Hicks and Ripley play husband and wife for half of the movie. That's not what the Alien franchise is about, and although Aliens is a great action flick, Cameron really dumbed it down from what the original created. Basically it was a 80s gung-ho marines movie set in space (with cheesy one liners throughout), with the added annoyance of the family theme between Ridley, Hicks and Newt.

I mean no offence with this, but it's no coincidence that Alien 3 was received far better in Europe than in the US, both critically and commercially. Besides, Sigourney Weaver is getting old, and I hate forcing her into a role which she can't physically keep up they way we're accustomed to seeing her. Indy 4 faced much of the same problems with varying results. I'd much rather them introducing a new crew in Alien 5 and start fresh. If done properly, they can set the franchise up for more sequels in the future. With Ripley back in, that really won't be the case cause by the time Alien 6 comes around Sigourney will be basically retired. So start fresh now, otherwise they're just delaying the inevitable really.

Sigourney Weaver is in better shape than Michael Biehn. These days Michael Biehn looks like a little old man but Sigourney Weaver still maintains her statuesque look. Personally I thought Alien 3 was pretentious nonsense and a waste of a good cast, in particular the iconography of the Ripley's final scene. However I do agree it would be better to start with a new cast, the thing the makes the Alien franchise is the Alien. You could make a thing of we know what the Aliens are capable of but the cast don't.

Guess this is about as close as we're ever gonna get to a halo movie. Bring it on.

havoc33:
I'm all in for a proper Alien sequel, but I don't agree with having it set right after Aliens.

Alien 3 is a decent film, but in places it still feels like a failed script for weird space prison drama that was rewrote to include the Alien mythos. I'm also one of the fans that didn't like how they unceremoniously killed off Hicks, Bishop and Newt, after all the crap they went through to survive the last movie. The end of Alien 3 was a good finish the the trilogy, though.

If they want to bring Ripley back, which it seems like they are considering, they would either have to do something cheap, like the cloning plot of Resurrection, or retcon Alien 3 out of canon. I don't care either way if they do bring her back, or start a new storyline, or do a full reboot, as long as something good comes out of it. Although, I would rather see them not go back to full horror of the original, as redoing horror right is very difficult to achieve, especially for a well regarded film. The first film is timeless anyways (except the hair styles, I guess). James Cameron's action-horror style of Aliens at least can be built upon and still remain fresh for a couple more movies, even if they do dip more towards the suspense and fear for the longer duration of the running time.

Captcha: dusk till dawn
Captcha is giving out bad movie advice again. If AvP couldn't do it, I don't think a From Dusk Till Dawn crossover is going to revive Alien.

albino boo:

havoc33:

Sigourney Weaver is in better shape than Michael Biehn. These days Michael Biehn looks like a little old man but Sigourney Weaver still maintains her statuesque look. Personally I thought Alien 3 was pretentious nonsense and a waste of a good cast, in particular the iconography of the Ripley's final scene. However I do agree it would be better to start with a new cast, the thing the makes the Alien franchise is the Alien. You could make a thing of we know what the Aliens are capable of but the cast don't.

Well opinions certainly differ. I thought the death of Ripley was beatifully set up and a very fitting end to the trilogy (yes I'm still trying to forget that Resurrection ever happened). You are are right about the alien though; that's another thing I didn't particularly like about Cameron's film. He basically reduced the aliens to bugs, and they seemed far less threatening and sophisticated than the one in the original. I loved how Alien Isolation really brought back the respect and awe/fear for the creature. I'd love for them to create a sequel similar in tone to this.

On the other hand, it should be noted what made the series so great to begin with was that each director made his own imprint on the series. At least you cannot say that they went for your average run of the mill sequel, as they all differed vastly in theme, genre and tone.

ALL of the Alien movies were very good in their own way - that INCLUDES Alien 3 & 4! But not Prometheus.

So I'd rather like to see the continued story line - Aliens finally coming to Earth, oh yes, happy frak-fest!!!!

What intrigues me most from the concept art gallery is the picture of the Derelict spaceship all lit up and ready for study... Even in Aliens (well, the extended cut, anyway) it's established that Hadley's Hope is a long way from the crashed ship - far enough away for the explosion that definitely blew up the colony*, perhaps? Weyland-Yutani revisit LV-426 and salvage the Derelict, for further study...

Then, you bring in the sub-plot from the first Dark Horse Aliens comics series, where there's an entire religion / fanaticism built up back on Earth around the Aliens and I think you've the building blocks for something Blomkamp would be very comfortable with.

Plus, we get a Dead Space movie by proxy!

Skirting controversy, jusdging by the comments above, but I think they'd be as well off leaving Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop out of it altogether - pick up the timeline after Alien3 and leave off the timey-wimey BS.

*(go to hell, A:CM)

Fuck yeah!

If Hicks is back could we potentially be getting Newt back too? Killing both of them off at the start of Alien 3 pissed me off so much. I would've actually enjoyed that film if not for that.

I'm wondering if they'll recast them, or if they'll get the old actors back. Sigourney Weaver looks great for her age, and Hicks' face is all messed up so they could probably hide Biehn's age with prosthetics.

havoc33:

Well opinions certainly differ. I thought the death of Ripley was beatifully set up and a very fitting end to the trilogy (yes I'm still trying to forget that Resurrection ever happened). You are are right about the alien though; that's another thing I didn't particularly like about Cameron's film. He basically reduced the aliens to bugs, and they seemed far less threatening and sophisticated than the one in the original. I loved how Alien Isolation really brought back the respect and awe/fear for the creature. I'd love for them to create a sequel similar in tone to this.

On the other hand, it should be noted what made the series so great to begin with was that each director made his own imprint on the series. At least you cannot say that they went for your average run of the mill sequel, as they all differed vastly in theme, genre and tone.

What I liked about Aliens is that it wasn't Alien II. It took Alien which was essentially a slasher movie in space and turned it into a war movie in space. It didn't suffer from being excessively Freudian, which everything after has suffered from. Changing the cast would allow much more freedom to take a different direction. All of the films have been set in confined environments one way or another perhaps moving the alien to more open world situation would offer something new.

havoc33:
That's not what the Alien franchise is about

The trouble with this is that the Alien franchise isn't really about anything. It started as a horror film, then had a full-on action film, went back to sort of horror with a bit of prison drama, then a rather silly camp action film, then the AvP films which are half horror, half action, and half teen slasher, and finally the pretentious drivel of Prometheus. People who liked the first film best tend to say Alien is about atmospheric horror, those who preferred the second tend to say it's best as an action film, but neither those nor any other opinion can truly claim to be what the franchise is "really" about, because it's never stayed about the same thing for more than one film at a time. And to be honest, that's the way I like it. Let's not have the same film over and over again just because it was good the first time, let's see something new and different. It might not always work out perfectly, but it's a hell of a lot more interesting than trying to boil it down to a single formula.

I love Alien 3, so my suggesting that it be forgotten to make way for Blomkamp's idea isn't throwing shade at the film. But I'll tell you this: Based on Fincher's experience making Alien 3, I would not be surprised if he didn't care about his film being pushed aside. Fincher had little creative control over the project, and had to make character decisions he didn't want to make (meaning he was forced to at a studio executive level).

[Alien 3 spoilers ahead.]

Alien 3 is great. The setting, the convict colony theme, it's all fun to watch. But killing off two of the three most important characters right off the bat? I think that's worth forgetting about in favor of a Blomkamp attempt.

-Devin Connors

I've really enjoyed all of the mainline alien movies (1-4), but that concept art really makes me want to see that movie. I've always appreciated how each movie is both a continuation and something of a new take on the franchise. After alien: resurrection, they pretty much have no choice other than to either do a full-on reboot or some sort of revisionist trickery.

It's just too bad I haven't actually liked any of Blomkamp's movies very much.

WouldYouKindly:
Oh, c'mon. I'll agree with you on Prometheus (as the 'Alien' connection was just a lazy tie-in to bring in the fan-base), and I'll fight side-by-side with you on Resurrection, but Alien 3 was actually a very clever movie. Achingly 90's, but once past that a very good yarn with again the emphasis on a single xeno wreaking stealth-based havoc on a disbelieving and unprepared populace.

It's just not for me. Killing two thirds of the characters we cared about (no one in the penal colony was likable), invalidating all of Ripley's effort in Aliens and not being the movie Fox promised just because of a budget killed it for me.

Alien and Alien 3 need a sequel. Screw the action films.

So... it's confirmed? AWESOME!

I've become something of an Alien fan since Alien Isolation and finally deciding to actually sit down and watch Alien and Aliens. Another film in the franchise, from a director that I trust, is a cherry on the icing of an excellent cake.

Hmmm, I wonder what the plot Alien 5 would be then.

Ripply gets raped many times to the point where a pure alien breed comes out then takes over the world. In order to save the world, ripply must confront the queen and kill her only living known daughter...Again.

This is bulllshit, Resurrection had enough deus ex machina just reboot the entire franchise.

Funny how this all went from "I had this idea" to "let's do this!". I don't know if it was the intent when the concept art was released, but it was a pretty good move.
I guess that shows the power of hype.

Both Alien and Aliens were what introduced me to the world of horror and sci-fi and they've stayed with me throughout my life as something unique.
So believe me when I say that I'd rather see something new and original than more of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to see this movie, just like I went to see Prometheus, but if there's going to be something that rocks my world, it'll have to be new content.

District 9 did that for me, it spurred on my imagination and gave me a glimmer of hope that the movie scene wasn't dead (for me) any longer.

-

I doubt Weaver will be part of this, if it's like Aliens.
It's practically common knowledge among Alien fans that she hated the development of the movies going into "guns are cool" (which is part of why Alien 3 didn't have any) and that she is very much against guns in general.

Besides that, I'm not sure what she'd have to offer and honestly while I do like her as an actor, I don't need to see a cameo.
The most important part I feel they should include, is the feeling of real people being part of this and the mundane life of what the future is like in that fictional universe. I think those things were crucial to set the mood for me.

Good news. I just hope they get rid of Ripley and start something new with new characters. Ripley was great but should have ended with A3. Now she is a half human/alien that is almost untouchable so the aliens wont even be threatening anymore.

SonOfVoorhees:
Good news. I just hope they get rid of Ripley and start something new with new characters. Ripley was great but should have ended with A3. Now she is a half human/alien that is almost untouchable so the aliens wont even be threatening anymore.

The only reason why they didn't kill her in Ressurection was because she was part of THEIR hive, there are still other hives seeing as the old hive died.

Looking at his concept artwork it looks like they want to start over and do a proper sequel to Aliens and just dismiss Alien 3 and 4. I think the majority of people are completely ok with that as am I.

mad825:
Hmmm, I wonder what the plot Alien 5 would be then.

Ripply gets raped many times to the point where a pure alien breed comes out then takes over the world. In order to save the world, ripply must confront the queen and kill her only living known daughter...Again.

This is bulllshit, Resurrection had enough deus ex machina just reboot the entire franchise.

SonOfVoorhees:

Well considering that Hicks is in the concept art too, it looks like they're planning on chucking Alien 3 and Resurrection out of the canon and replacing them with this new film.

No complaints from me.

So long as it isn't the whole retconning Alien 3 onwards bullshit I am gonna be happy. Yeah the whole Welyand Yutani getting hold of an engineers ship is kinda interesting but the only way they can really pull that off is without Ripley, I guess you could stretch the time line to them getting hold of one AFTER the events of Alien Resurrection and asking Ripley yadadadad so on so on but this leads to a whole new question. Can an Alien movie BE and Alien movie without Ripley?

Now really is the time find this out. Signorney Weaver is ageing well and if asked I am sure she could pull it off but if the franchise is to have a future we need to find out soon if it can survive without the much loved heroine.

Damn. So it's really happening. Not only do we get Prometheus 2, but also Alien 5. Good times to be an Alien fan! Please, please let 'em be good!

Knowing the Alien franchise, and knowing a bit about Neill Blomkamp (mostly watching District 9 and Elysium), I think it is very safe to say we will see:

1. Much more anti-corporation/government contractors. This has been a big one for Neill and the Alien franchise, so it's practically a match made in heaven, however Neill might overdo it.

2. Action. Neill's movies have not been shy about their action. Big mech battle, over the top guns, and homicidal mercenaries in D9, small exosuit battles, CQC, and over the top premise in Elysium, and more things that I've probably forgotten. Expect more powerloader/exo suit/mech fights.

3. Fantastic world building. The Alien franchise has done pretty well with world building. It's subtle, and doesn't usually punch you in the face with how bad everything is, it just kind of shows you. Neill is a bit less shy about going over the top with his worlds, but he also pretty much just one-shots a movie. D9 and Elysium probably will not be a franchise, so he had to push the world, and the movie, into one film. The Alien franchise has been around for 7 (10 if you count the Predator movies as the same world, but the time difference is pretty vast) movies, plenty of time to ease people into a world. Maybe he'll be more subtle with it, which I think would be best.

4. Fantastic, but bright, visuals. This should be a given. Neill doesn't seem to like dark shots much, but maybe he'll modify his style for the sake of following the franchise, but kind of hope he does his own spin on this. They may mostly come out at night (mostly), but it doesn't make you safe during the day.

5. Ripley? (Caution: wall of text.) This one could go a few ways..They could retcon, they could time lapse, or they could CGI. Or they don't use her at all except maybe in story. The first and third options don't appeal to me too much. I personally liked Alien 3 as a decent movie, and, let's face it, Alien Resurrection is kind of necessary for bringing Ripley back, which means probably no retcon. Time lapse is the most likely method of bringing Ripley in, but if that's the case, I assume she will be a side character, someone to further the story, but not a main focus. CGI means they could bring a young Ripley in, but the CGI will probably be terrible, and Neill seems to prefer the actual physical thing to CGI where available. They could use a different actress and maybe do an inbetween of Aliens and Alien 3, maybe try to explain the mysterious Egg, and then have Ripley suffer a head injury so she has amnesia or something. It's a cop-out, but one that could work seeing as how amnesia is typically only temporary (if I recall) and she doesn't really live long in Alien 3, so that would probably be the best option to include Hicks and Ripley, or even Ripley in general.

6. Light on the horror. No part of Neill's other movies have really struck me as horror. Will the trend continue? We'll see.

7. Humans will be the main enemy. Fitting to Aliens and Alien Resurrection, but a bit less so in Alien. Alien 3 is a bit of a 50/50. Neill seems to love making humans the main enemy.

All that being said, I have never seen Neill doing homages or a sequel to someone else's work, so it might have very little of all of that.

Either way, I really want to see it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or