Official: Neill Blomkamp To Direct Next Alien Movie - Update

Pages PREV 1 2

I first only read they would go forward with a new Alien movie and was somewhat ambilvalent, but having Neill Blomkamp involved is a huge plus and has me looking forward to the movie (and most likely the franchise) now.

I'm also glad to hear Prometheus 2 is still going forward. I really enjoyed the first movie despite its shortcomings. The general story, the world and the visual design were great in my opinion and I'm curios where the story will lead.

AramilNeogi:
Knowing the Alien franchise, and knowing a bit about Neill Blomkamp (mostly watching District 9 and Elysium), I think it is very safe to say we will see:

1. Much more anti-corporation/government contractors.
2. Action.
3. Fantastic world building.
4. Fantastic, but bright, visuals.
5. Ripley? (Caution: wall of text.)
6. Light on the horror.
7. Humans will be the main enemy.

Either way, I really want to see it.

1/2/3 Agree

4. I doubt the visuals will be too bright. I think the film will try to take its cues from Aliens more than the other movies
5. I think she probably will have a cameo or be referenced, but I doubt she will have a larger role. It could probably be similar to how Bishop was handled in the movies post Alien.
6. I think that it will actually be focused on suspense and some horror thrills with a heavy dose of action, again similar to Aliens. However, it will in part depend on how the studio wants to handle the movie and what rating they are striving for.
7. I believe there will be a human faction opposing the protagonists as well. It makes sense because that way the Alien(s) can hunt more prey.

"Either way, I really want to see it." - Agree, me too.

Neil Blomkamp is probably my least favorite director, to be honest. He lacks all subtlety, and his directorial and actor choices are strange to me. I do look forward to the scene where Ripley pushes for gun control, until the alien rallies the senators and Wayland Yutani to block the motion, culminating in an epic fillibuster. Then the alien eats the senators. It's worth it to see him in a suit, though.

Or maybe Blomkamp will turn it into an abortion metaphor, who knows.

havoc33:
I'm all in for a proper Alien sequel, but I don't agree with having it set right after Aliens. Alien 3, although it was flawed, was a very good movie, especially the extended Assembly Cut. It was in tone and spirit much closer to the original vision from Ridley Scott. I for one would not like a direct sequel to Aliens where Hicks and Ripley play husband and wife for half of the movie. That's not what the Alien franchise is about, and although Aliens is a great action flick, Cameron really dumbed it down from what the original created. Basically it was a 80s gung-ho marines movie set in space (with cheesy one liners throughout), with the added annoyance of the family theme between Ridley, Hicks and Newt.

I mean no offence with this, but it's no coincidence that Alien 3 was received far better in Europe than in the US, both critically and commercially. Besides, Sigourney Weaver is getting old, and I hate forcing her into a role which she can't physically keep up they way we're accustomed to seeing her. Indy 4 faced much of the same problems with varying results. I'd much rather them introducing a new crew in Alien 5 and start fresh. If done properly, they can set the franchise up for more sequels in the future. With Ripley back in, that really won't be the case cause by the time Alien 6 comes around Sigourney will be basically retired. So start fresh now, otherwise they're just delaying the inevitable really.

I can't see this working. Prometheus had the right idea, taking the story in the right new direction, it just failed horribly. The scary thing about Alien was the sexual imagery, and the fear of the unknown. That disappeared after the first movie, and frankly I'm not sure it can be recaptured. The alien is no longer a nihilistic take on the universe, it's just campy pulp action fodder for space marines. It's a space velociraptor. I'm not sure it's really possible to turn the alien into what it once was, because the mystique is gone. Remember that, in the first film, we didn't even know who the protagonist was. Starting over would be best, but I'm not sure what else there is to do with the setting.

If Blomkamp pulls it off, though, I'll forgive him everything.

Erh, I wasn't the biggest fan of Elysium's ham-fistedness, and I felt uncomfortable watching Prometheus over how piss-poor Ridley Scott's egofest-"I'll put the series back on track"-attempt turned out, but A. Getting a new director involved will at least be an attempt to spark life into the series, and B. The Alien: Isolation game actually turned out better than dared hope. Sure, it was a game and not a movie, but the fact that it was possible to pull off gives me some hope that someone can figure out a way to make Alien-movies relevant again.

Surprised I'm not seeing complaints in here like.

Uuugh he's gonna inject preachy social and political commentary in my Aliens.

What if he uses too much lens flair? Movie ruined!

Things will look too polished and not 80's enough. Ruined!

But he'll use too much CGI

Alien isn't about this it's about what I say it's about.

Or some crap that I always see people complain about when their is the possibility that someone new is going to be playing with their old toys.

Chester Rabbit:
Surprised I'm not seeing complaints in here like.

Uuugh he's gonna inject preachy social and political commentary in my Aliens.

What if he uses too much lens flair? Movie ruined!

Things will look too polished and not 80's enough. Ruined!

But he'll use too much CGI

Alien isn't about this it's about what I say it's about.

Or some crap that I always see people complain about when their is the possibility that someone new is going to be playing with their old toys.

Well, after Resurrection, the AVP films, and then what Prometheus was supposed to be and then what it became..well..

Now that I put it like that, I think we're all pretty much just hoping it doesn't get any worse.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here