Jon Stewart Leaving The Daily Show This Year

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Jon Stewart Leaving The Daily Show This Year

Jon Stewart

After 15 years at the helm of Comedy Central's The Daily Show, Jon Stewart will be stepping down in 2015.

What could be a bigger shake-up to late night television than Stephen Colbert leaving The Colbert Report? The news that Jon Stewart, host of The Daily Show, will step down from his iconic role this year. Stewart himself made the reveal during the recording of his Feb. 10 episode, which was confirmed by Comedy Central via Twitter shortly after.

"For the better part of the last two decades, we have had the incredible honor and privilege of working with Jon Stewart," Comedy Central's post reads. "His comedic brilliance is second to none. Jon has been at the heart of Comedy Central, championing and nurturing the best talent in the industry, in front of and behind the camera. Through his unique voice and vision, The Daily Show has become a cultural touchstone for millions of fans and an unparallelled platform for political comedy that will endure for years to come."

Stewart took over as anchor of The Daily Show - Comedy Central's news satire and late-night talk show - for Craig Kilborn in 1999. Under Stewart's tenure, the series heavily shifted its focus to political and national media topics, becoming an outspoken critic of FOX News and the Bush administration. Despite being hailed as a "fake news" program, The Daily Show's coverage of elections, political processes, and current events made it a definitive news source for a generation soured by 24-hour network broadcasts.

Under Stewart, The Daily Show won almost two dozen Emmy Awards, including many for outstanding variety series and outstanding writing of a variety series. Stewart and The Daily Show also boosted the comedic careers of many on-air correspondents - Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, Larry Wilmore, and Steve Carell all being notable examples.

When exactly Stewart will leave The Daily Show isn't clear, although rumors suggest it could happen as early as this summer. Regardless, it's a huge shake-up to The Daily Show, where Stewart has acted as host, executive producer, and one of Comedy Central's most consistent voices for over a decade.

Source: Comedy Central, via New York Times

I haven't been able to watch the show since I started working nights but I've been a fan of the Daily Show for most of my life. I wish Jon Stewart all the best on whatever he decides to do next.

I'm not ashamed to admit I actually cried when he announced it.

Jon Stewart has been a staple of my life since I knew enough to care. It was the Daily Show that actually got me interested in politics in the first place.

He will be missed greatly when he finally does leave.

I hope the next guy is just as willing to not pull punches as Stewart was. I remember he was interviewing that Mad Money guy Jim Cramer over his ineptitude during his interview with a corporate CEO. Cramer was like "Well, I didn't expect him to lie to me..." and Stewart said "You didn't expect a corporate CEO... to lie to you...." Then he rounded off the interview showing clips of Cramer years prior when Cramer ran a hedge fund and was practicing shady, predatory, trading practices and ended the show with "So, your job now is to protect people.... from the you of five years ago."

People like to accuse Stewart of being a puppet of the Obama administration. Except that Stewart has criticized Obama on numerous occasions. Something said critics should know because conservative news outlets love to broadcast with a "See even anti-American liberal demon Jon Stewart hates Obama!!" every time Stewart did such a segment.

Truly a legend. Only reason I would bother to watch TV anymore

Wow not good news for The Colbert Reports successor.

Quick, somebody put Bob on suicide watch! Dear God, he might not be able to handle this. Where will he and those like him go to get their worldview reinforced? I mean aside from ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, Hollywood, the music industry (aside from most country), TV, half of newspapers, about a third of AM radio, etc.

LysanderNemoinis:
Quick, somebody put Bob on suicide watch! Dear God, he might not be able to handle this. Where will he and those like him go to get their worldview reinforced? I mean aside from ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, Hollywood, the music industry (aside from most country), TV, half of newspapers, about a third of AM radio, etc.

Wait, if you're here, then who's filibustering Congress? Somebody might do something useful!

I'm shocked to be sure. Seriously Stewart and Colbert were the only reasons I watched Comedy Central.

Scribblesense:

LysanderNemoinis:

Wait, if you're here, then who's filibustering Congress? Somebody might do something useful!

Oh God, they just passed a bill that strengthens equal pay laws. Where the hell were you Scribblesense!? You have failed us!

Mid Boss:
I hope the next guy is just as willing to not pull punches as Stewart was. I remember he was interviewing that Mad Money guy Jim Cramer over his ineptitude during his interview with a corporate CEO. Cramer was like "Well, I didn't expect him to lie to me..." and Stewart said "You didn't expect a corporate CEO... to lie to you...." Then he rounded off the interview showing clips of Cramer years prior when Cramer ran a hedge fund and was practicing shady, predatory, trading practices and ended the show with "So, your job now is to protect people.... from the you of five years ago."

I remember that little throw down they were having. My favorite part was when Cramer said he had never said something (can't remember what it was), and then John responded on his show by find the EXACT CLIP where Cramer said the exact words that John was talking about. John simply turned to the camera and yelled, "F*** YOU!" I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes.

I have not watched The Daily Show in a long time because my Dad watches it and sucks the fun out of it, and because the news today has become so depressing that it's not even funny how right John is about things, but I don't deny it is a great show. I'll be sad to see him go, and I hope that whoever replaces him doesn't drown in his shadow.

Jon's farewell on the show hit me right in the feels. I'm really going to miss him, I love comedy, its a fantastic artform, and he has the rarest trait you find in great comedians - optimism. He's quite unique in that regard, and its sad to see him go. Hopefully this means we can see more work from him as a director.

Mid Boss:
-snip-

Sniper Team 4:
-snip-

If it means anything, Larry Wilmore on his show doesn't hold punches back... for the most part. I think they're afraid to let him off the rope on the roundtable. Still, its rather entertaining. I'm sure MovieBob needed some salt when Wilmore said that the Superbowl was between "The Seahawks and the cheaters". Or on, IIRC, his second episode, when, I'm paraphrasing here, he said "Tonight, Bill Cosby, we'll answer the question "did he do it?" The answer is yes." So if you haven't watched it, I'd give it a chance. I'm quite enjoying it, not as good as The Daily Show, but still a very enjoyable show.

Scribblesense:

LysanderNemoinis:

Don't be silly. The Republicans control both houses now so they don't have to filibuster. Instead they can just pass crazy legislation that Obama will veto. See? Broken as intended.

MarsAtlas:
If it means anything, Larry Wilmore on his show doesn't hold punches back... for the most part. I think they're afraid to let him off the rope on the roundtable. Still, its rather entertaining. I'm sure MovieBob needed some salt when Wilmore said that the Superbowl was between "The Seahawks and the cheaters". Or on, IIRC, his second episode, when, I'm paraphrasing here, he said "Tonight, Bill Cosby, we'll answer the question "did he do it?" The answer is yes." So if you haven't watched it, I'd give it a chance. I'm quite enjoying it, not as good as The Daily Show, but still a very enjoyable show.

I am still unsure if The Nightly Show will continue to keep my interest, but you are right Larry Wilmore doesn't pull punches, but it seems his punches don't have the same impact for me the same way Stewart does. Maybe it is the direction of his show, I am unsure it just feels like its missing something.

Man, and we thought having to fill Colbert's shoes was going to be an issue. I don't envy the guy who has to take up the helm after Stewart.

Gutted. He has been a part of my life for 6 years now... what am i going to do now. nothing short of a legend

Colbert steps down, now Stewart? There goes about 75% of Comedy Central's viewer base.

Best reaction to the announcement has to be this (sorry, don't know how to embed tweets):
https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/565327323084627969

My three favorite moments from the show have to be:

- the bit when a German company had to sell the Muppet brand, and they showed a German version of 'Rainbow Connection' http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/bfx0pj/fozzie-math
- When during his presidential campaign, Herman Cain quoted a line from the Pokemon movie, Stewart went on to suggest lines from it that would have been better http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/meop9j/indecision-2012---oh--the-hermanity-
- The Back in Black segment on how New York is better than Texas http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/bnqfya/back-in-black---new-york-vs--texas

LysanderNemoinis:

Is this an insult or a compliment? I'm not sure. I mean does Death metal have the same political leanings as Charlie Rose which has the same political leanings as the NFL which has the same Political leanings All in the family which has the same political leanings as Rachel Maddow which has the same political leanings as Survivor which has the same political leanings as the Voice which has the same political leanings as Eminem who has the same poltical leanings as Calliou? This is a very vast ... something.

It's really interesting to see the end of an era. While comedic in nature this was the nightly news for a lot of young people for quite a while. Now with Colbert and Stewart gone it will be interesting to see if the younger generation starts to slip out of touch with what's going on. Let's be honest traditional news is hard to consume, Stewart and Colbert were able to package the info into a portion that was palpable and it was effective. At least we still have Oliver, but he's only on once a week and the show goes on hiatus quite frequently.

I...Jon and Colbert were the reason I even got into or began to care about politics.

They helped shape my world view (even though I didn't agree with them all the time) and I genuinely believe the two to be good folk. Just listening to them outside of their show personas, both are and were stand up gents.

I'm sincerely going to miss them.... and it's quite a damned sad time. I'm sure they'll continue to be a big part of our entertainment-lives (Colbert especially), but it really seems like an era is ending.

I don't have a source for TV news that will be straight with me. Won't bullshit. Will have their agenda on their sleeve and try to be honest.

Just. Damn it. D:

That said? John Oliver's doing an excellent job over on HBO. I like the guy and he'll probably fill the void left behind by Stewart/Colbert to some extent.

This is sorta... weird to hear.

I fell out of limbo with the Daily Show (And subsequently Colbert) for a good number of months now for reasons. I kinda kept away from it for a while and was mildly bummed, but ultimately prepared, for Colbert to end, so that one never really struck me. I've been meaning to get back into the Daily Show recently, and now to read this, I'm not sure how to feel. I guess disappointed is the best word. Steward, whether I agreed with what they were covering or not, was ultimately a cool, down-to-earth and genuine dude who fit perfectly into the role of helping summarize the crazy goings on in the world in a comedic fashion for the youth.

If he's stepping down and the Daily Show plans to keep going, I honestly don't know who'd be able to fill his shoes. Not that it's impossible, but I hope whoever it is opts not to be a funny newscaster, but rather a newscaster who's funny, like I feel Steward is.

Honestly made me sad when I heard the news. Just like many here, he got me into politics. As for being fake news, The Daily Show did put the big news channels in their and uncover the massive turd they always leave. I did notice he seemed a bit tired and needed a break or something with the amount of crap the political world is throwing out lately. If John Oliver didn't leave to do HBO, Last Week Tonight is a great show by the way and very insightful bit recently about relationships between doctors and drug company which is shocking too as some from outside of the US, he would have taken Colbert's or Stewarts slot but HBO gives him so much freedom.

Either way, thank you Jon Stewart for making many laugh, smile and see some honest truth and just telling it like it is when any politician tries to fool voters.

Side Note: So, Brian Williams was "suspended" for lying. When will other new readers suffer the same fate then? Or was Williams just a scapegoat to cover up and shy away from how the news is really like?

Mid Boss:

Scribblesense:

LysanderNemoinis:

Oh God, they just passed a bill that strengthens equal pay laws. Where the hell were you Scribblesense!? You have failed us!

Okay... this made me laugh.

OT - Wow... I wonder why he is stepping down, I hope things are okay. :( He will be missed.

I salute the man. I'm sad to see him leave, but I'm always relieved to see people quit while they are ahead. With Colbert throwing going on to bigger things, and John Oliver showing himself capable of following in Stewarts footsteps, it feels kind of like an appropriate moment for a generational shift.

I was watching The Daily Show almost religiously for five or six years. I only stopped after my TV viewing habits shifted towards watching everything online, and Comedy Central a year or so later decided to pull all their online content for Europeans :-/ I still catch an episode every once in a while though, and it's still as brilliant as ever.

Jon Stewart will always be an entertainer I look up to. Not only for pioneering what has become one of my favorite type of comedy shows, but also for the way he understands that nothing is ever "just a joke". There are so many people that hide behind "satire" as an excuse to say whatever they want and retort with "why can't you take a joke?" or "you don't get it, it's satire" when they are criticized for it. But Jon Stewart always acknowledges that he means every word he says, and he is ready to stand for it when he comes under fire.

At the same time he rarely lets it go to his head. He remembers that he is an entertainer first and foremost, as much as he takes his role seriously, he never takes himself too seriously. Which I imagine is not an easy thing to do O.o

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

YES! Now I don't have to be bothered with Jon's BS anymore on Comedy Central. This is like a 2nd Christmas present after Colbert left. Now I can finally enjoy the actual comedic shows on the network without being pestered by the propaganda!

Edit: The fact that most people in the comments are saying that Stewart/Colbert got them interested in politics, that just saddens me. It really does show what is wrong with kids today.

Hdawger:

Edit: The fact that most people in the comments are saying that Stewart/Colbert got them interested in politics, that just saddens me. It really does show what is wrong with kids today.

Or as I stand on the other side of the fence, this shows whats wrong with politics today.

Also way is everyone surprised John is leaving? His show was starting to dry up, time for a fresh face and take. Larry, Larry, Larry.

Damn. This is definitely the end of an era. Jon Stewart is one of those comedic talents that was a sane voice breaking through the insanity of this world. Even in our darker moments such as the aftermath of 9/11, he was there for us offering comfort and humor. It's going to be interesting to see who takes over for The Daily Show because Jon is leaving behind some big shoes.

Godspeed, Jon Stewart, and thank you.

Godamnit, I was emotional and slightly puppy-eyed when I heard Colbert was departing,

Now I'm having a 'glass case of emotion' moment.

Good, I haven't been able to stomach it for years. It was so sad. As more and more young viewers came to view his show as somehow being more "real" news, it transformed more and more into the sort of slanted, ideological, ratings-driven bias-confirming infotainment drivel that Stewart had always railed against. It's hard to watch someone you used to respect become that which they profess to hate.

Aiddon:
Man, and we thought having to fill Colbert's shoes was going to be an issue. I don't envy the guy who has to take up the helm after Stewart.

Tell me about it, those two are a hell of an act to follow. I wish whoever get's their spots the best of luck though.

OT: I wish he would stay longer but holy crap, it's really been fifthteen years already?

There had been a real downtick in quality over the last few years. He was tired. You could hear it in the throwaway comments he made before and after going on vacations and the like. He took the time to make Rosewater, and I guess he realized he didn't want to be tied to the daily show anymore.

He was golden as a counter weight to the Bush years stupidity, but wasn't as impactful with Obama. Combined with the loss of passion, I only watched once every week or 2 for the last year.

Kinda weird. I'd never really thought that a comedy news anchor stepping down would make me feel sad and yet here we are.

I wonder where he'll be going.

I stopped regularly watching the daily show a few years ago though I check in occasionally. I think after Obama was elected in 08 and and the congress fell apart in 10 it became clear that things weren't really changing no matter who the daily show threw up against the fence, he lost a little of his heart for it. America has seesawed between a place of hope and hopelessness the last few years. When were not revolutionizing Marijuana and Marriage laws were becoming a scary race hating police state prepping to invade Russia.

Anyway here are a couple of Jons best moments in and outside the show

Jon causes the fake political news show Crossfire to be canceled after taking it a part while appearing as a guest.

First Daily show after 9/11. Warning its a tear jerker.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here