Hitman: Agent 47 Trailer: Bring Me My Gun So I May Kill You With It

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hitman: Agent 47 Trailer: Bring Me My Gun So I May Kill You With It

Debut trailer does not skimp on the killing.

Due out in late August, the first trailer for Hitman: Agent 47 shows how Fox intends to carry on with its stealth-action franchise last visited by Hollywood in 2007. This time around, there's no Timothy Olyphant, and the clean-shaven head...well, actually there's quite a bit of head stubble going on.

Anyway! Hitman: Agent 47 follows everyone's favorite assassin (Beatrix Kiddo aside) as he helicopter- and jet-murders his way through a bunch of generic SWAT-looking mercs, and at least a handful of Marines. Zachary Quinto (Star Trek, Heroes) comes in with a supporting role, but 47 is played by Rupert Friend (Homeland).

So far, it's coming off as an origin story, including saving (killing?) the man who created the Agent program. The metal detector scene is a rip-off of homage to The Matrix, no doubt, but we've yet to see if the rest of the action in Aleksander Bach's Hollywood directorial debut is up to snuff.

What happened to 47 being a, you know, silent assassin??

Is it too much to ask movie makers to play the games they are making movies of?

Just once, I'd like a movie about someone who is supposed to be an assassin to...you know, be stealthy and assassinate things rather than murdering hundreds of faceless storm troopers. He snuck out in a marine uniform so I have a sliver of hope but it looks like a generic action film to me rather than a Hitman film.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong. Then maybe I'll win the lottery tonight after Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis reenact their "black swan" scene for me and then they let me in too because they just can't escape how devilishly sexy I am to them...

Mr.Tea:

Hollywood. Enough said really.

"No, Mr. Sanders...You're locked in here with me...and you just brought me mine..."

Hmmm...I was going to say this was going to be a terrible trailer from that thumbnail, but I'm kinda sold on the idea of the film just from that scene alone.
Yeah, it's dumb action film and not in the spirit of the games, etc, but...let's face it, the plot of that entire series is kinda just filler.
Even with Absolution, the most plot heavy of the lot of them IMO, you could remove all the cutscenes, story, etc and I don't think it would affect the game at all.
All you really need is someone wanting someone dead and 47 is in his element and the ICA could just be replaced with Hotline Miami style phone calls.
Not saying that the plot and stuff is BAD in any sense, I rather enjoyed Absolution, but if you just removed it all and just made 47 a bog standard contract killer who's REALLY good at this job, I don't think there would be much changed.

BTW, I liked the last movie and that scene where 47 and the rival Agents suddenly pull out swords out of their business suits retroactively made the series way better with that mental image.
Just the idea that he's always going around with those swords but he never uses them because he never needs to is so freaking badass ^w^

...I'm going to get flamed to hell for this, ain't I? q-q

Mr.Tea:

Well, the only way you'd really make that interesting to watch (As far as my limited knowledge of film making goes) would be to make it a slasher style movie were 47 has to take out a list of targets and it's filmed from their POV as they fall like flies one by one.
Portray him more as a force of nature then really anything...well, human.

But again, this is Hollywood we're talking about.

They seem to cast the character to young, he looks fresh out of school instead of someone with years of experience. Need an actor that can show this in their acting. When you look at Jack Bauer in 24, he acts that way, he means business and you know he is experienced and is controlled and capable. This movie should be more like the Bourne movies than OTT generic action. But i guess thats the movie they wanted to make, more unrealistic than a down to earth set movie which i think would work better.

I might go see this for its striking me as a "turn brain off" kinda movie, of course I will look for more information before spending any money on it.

The actor kinda looks like Cracked's Soren Bowie.

I see this movie will be in the vein of my preferred gameplay style.

tippy2k2:
Is it too much to ask movie makers to play the games they are making movies of?

Just once, I'd like a movie about someone who is supposed to be an assassin to...you know, be stealthy and assassinate things rather than murdering hundreds of faceless storm troopers. He snuck out in a marine uniform so I have a sliver of hope but it looks like a generic action film to me rather than a Hitman film.

Hey, you wanna hear my pitch for a Hitman movie? Doesn't matter, I'll tell you anyway.
A team of FBI agents have to hunt down a mythic assassin, leading to the uncovering of a conspiracy (or something), while getting into suspense scene with 47 lurking in the background like he was Michael Myers (from the original). It's a pitch that need work, but it's a lot closer to the actual games, and may actually be good.

Rupert Friend too way too skinny for the role of 47. We needed someone bigger.

Otherwise, it looks like dumb fun. I cant really imagine anyone taking this film seriously.

Mr.Tea:

AFAIK the games allowed you *tons* of freedom to (not) murder to your heart's content. As clever or as brutal as you could get away with... I only played the original though. Man, that was quite revolutionary for the time! ;)

And YAY: Mance Rayder (GoT) is the inventor of The Program.
But BOO: If 47 is engineered to be -and also clearly PROVING to be- faster, stronger AND smarter (he is in the games), why would some scientist give them a secret edge they need against him? Instead of, you know, a team of regular human super soldiers (Navy SEALS, SAS etc. etc.)... Or tons of SWAT with some new clever super gadgets? Or a really good trap?

One question for loremaster of the Hitman games:
Isn't the baldness so he can't hide the barcode/a result of all the genetic engineering/ so he can easily wear any wig or disguise ?
Thus I don't think stubble on his head makes sense.

He still looks too young but it looks ok I guess.

Devin Connors:
The metal detector scene is a rip-off of homage to The Matrix, no doubt,

I thought it was taking from the last level in Bloodmoney, where you can walk into the White house with all your guns setting off the metal detector. Looked a lot like it too.

It looks like dumb action. I've not had some of that in a while. I'm kind of looking forward to it :)

Looks competent. Something that doesn't need the game license to be done, using it to cash in on the IP name, but ehh, thats business, and that thing happening to IPs in gaming is more of a concern when its applied to games than movies. Probably a movie you'll see in FX in two or three years.

tippy2k2:
Maybe they'll prove me wrong. Then maybe I'll win the lottery tonight after Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis reenact their "black swan" scene for me and then they let me in too because they just can't escape how devilishly sexy I am to them...

MovieBob, is that you?

Best of the 3:

Devin Connors:
The metal detector scene is a rip-off of homage to The Matrix, no doubt,

I thought it was taking from the last level in Bloodmoney, where you can walk into the White house with all your guns setting off the metal detector. Looked a lot like it too.

It looks like dumb action. I've not had some of that in a while. I'm kind of looking forward to it :)

Metal detectors have featured in Hitman since the very first one, although I don't believe they appeared in every game.

That said: while the previous movie was... bearable, I'm sceptical whether any action movie can stay true to the character.
There is a lot of potential for drama, mindgames, and even some horror, but it's going to be rather tricky to base an action movie around a silent assassin.

Did the people who cast this movie not realize that 47's voice actor looks just like 47? Why not just cast him?

Dunno how you're going to beat Olga Kurylenko getting her baps out with that =p

He's not silent at all - he shoots too much and blabs to cops about being an assassin. Plus his head is visibly shaved rather than bald. At least we see him using a disguise.

It could easily be better than the previous film (then again, it's not that hard), but I think that they already missed the point of the Hitman games, which is about becoming the perfect assassin.

Isn't this the plot of the terminator?

Every Hitman player knows you loose if you actually go into an open engagement. You're supposed to be a ghost and complete every objective without killing a soul.

Denamic:
Every Hitman player knows you loose if you actually go into an open engagement. You're supposed to be a ghost and complete every objective without killing a soul.

exept the target(s) ofc

Say what you want about the 2007 Hitman film, it was actually mostly stealth and assassin based stuff until that rather dramatic third act. Then again I'm one of those rare freaks that loved the 2007 Hitman film (and the Silent Hill films for that matter).

I will give due credit to the actor for trying, but nothing can compare to the ear candy that is David Bateson's voice as 47.

Still, looks like it can be fun so if it's in nearby cinemas I'll go and see it.

I'll avoid all the bad things I want to say (and there are many) and focus on the good.

He used a disguise and more importantly he uses OTT environment kills which were one of my favourite parts of the game.
I will also point out that the "It's Hollywood" thing goes both ways (ooooo er) and they often pack all the action into trailers to attract Johnny Braindead to watch it, there is still a chance the rest of the movie is all stealth and skulking.

p.s. I forgot Zachary Quinto was even a thing.

coolbond:

Denamic:

exept the target(s) ofc

That was an accident! He fell down the stairs onto the bullets.

Movie trailer screams generic. Might be worth streaming at most.

This looks terrible. And why hasn't anyone mentioned that the trailer makes it look like the plot of Terminator 1. If you want to steal something to make a hitman movie steal from No Country for Old Men. Thats the closest I've seen to a hitman movie. This just looks like another bomb of a video game movie.

i liked Timothy Olyphant in the role better.

this guy is too...boney ? wrong build ? i dunno. something is not quite right tho.

2007 Timothy Olyphant in this movie with Zachary Quinto...

my feminine side says yummy to that...

if you could get those two and basically merge those two movies (including the stealth)

then you'd maybe have a great movie...

Nothing says "Silent Assassin" like crashing a helicopter into a building.

Still, it looks like it could be fun to watch, so I may well see it.

It almost seems to cast 47 as the antagonist, which is interesting.
Other than that... Yeah. Generic action, a couple of bits inspired by the game and others stolen from other movies. (The metal detector from The Matrix and the "you're locked in here with me" bit from Watchmen.)

SonOfVoorhees:
They seem to cast the character to young, he looks fresh out of school instead of someone with years of experience. Need an actor that can show this in their acting. When you look at Jack Bauer in 24, he acts that way, he means business and you know he is experienced and is controlled and capable. This movie should be more like the Bourne movies than OTT generic action. But i guess thats the movie they wanted to make, more unrealistic than a down to earth set movie which i think would work better.

Laggyteabag:
Rupert Friend too way too skinny for the role of 47. We needed someone bigger.

Otherwise, it looks like dumb fun. I cant really imagine anyone taking this film seriously.

Whatever happened to Timothy Oliphant? Why not return him to the role? Too busy with Justified?

As an action movie, it looks good. As a hitman movie, it looks like a piece of fucking garbage

Well if you are going to go OTT, go the full measure. I reckon this might just be so balls-out crazy that it can pull it off. Plus I like Rupert Friend as an actor.

Diablo1099:

Hmmm...I was going to say this was going to be a terrible trailer from that thumbnail, but I'm kinda sold on the idea of the film just from that scene alone.

You'd love Watchmen, then, since that's where they stole that line from.

I really like Rupert Friend so I'm hoping it's a good movie. But then again, I don't know how bad or good it looks, because sometimes a game movie being a bit different but still it's own thing. I think Resident evil was a good example of that. I think as a standard zombie movie, it probably would have been pretty boring, and I don't think I would want them to recreate it. The movies at least had some character on their own. But I donno, Hitman as a game never seemed that many steps above generic in my honest opinion. Of course I know that's just me but yeah.

I mean I guess the real problem is that not every freaking franchise needs a movie, and if the director doesn't have a clear vision of what he wants to do with something, then I wish they'd just stop there. Admittedly I don't really get Hitman as a franchise, and so I'm the last person who should judge whether or not its good based on the previews. So with that being said feel free to overlook my impressions. In the sphere of game movies, I would say the one I loved the best was Mortal Kombat, although that movie would not even remotely resemble the current incarnation of those games. I just don't like when the movie feels like a cynical cash grab, not knowing the game as well as many others, I didn't get that vibe as much.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.