Homeworld Remastered Trailer Tells The Story Of Finding Home

Homeworld Remastered Trailer Tells The Story Of Finding Home

"...and a single word more ancient than the clans themselves...Hiigara."

Homeworld Remastered is right around the corner (February 25th), so a trailer showing the technical improvements made by Relic and Gearbox is due right about...today!

Both Homeworld and Homeworld 2 are being updated with HD visuals and effects, and a Steam multiplayer component is in the works as well. Given how space-crazy everyone has gotten these last two years or so, pulling one of the great Space RTS titles into the modern PC gaming age is sure to get the Elite: Dangerous crowd worked into a frenzy.

Those who throw down for Homeworld Remastered get Homeworld and Homeworld 2 in their updated glory, the original titles (Homeworld Classic and Homeworld 2 Classic), and access to the Steam MP beta.

Pre-ordering Homeworld Remastered will run you $29.74 -- down 15 percent from the MSRP of $34.99.

Source: Gearbox (YouTube)

I'm going to buy this. I'm going to play it. I'm going to get to the mission where Kharak is destroyed. I'm going to cry like a baby.

Calling it now.

Blegh. Still makes me cringe seeing Gearbox's logo on there. Almost makes the whole thing feel...tainted.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sold on this remaster. I still have the originals, which are still immensely fun, and I'm not really seeing $35 worth of visual/audio improvements.

Might consider it if the price drops a bit, and once it's confirmed whether or not Gearbox fucked up the games.

Guess we'll see on the 24th.

Vigormortis:
Blegh. Still makes me cringe seeing Gearbox's logo on there. Almost makes the whole thing feel...tainted.

Is this some kind of joke?

We are talking about a company that made Borderlands and HL: Opposing Force right?

micuu:
I'm going to buy this. I'm going to play it. I'm going to get to the mission where Kharak is destroyed. I'm going to cry like a baby.

Calling it now.

Ah yes... this trailer just reminded me just how excellent the voice acting and the soundtrack is in these games. It makes for a very unique atmosphere.

mavrik:

Is this some kind of joke?

We are talking about a company that made Borderlands and HL: Opposing Force right?

And Aliens: Colonial Marines. And Duke Nukem: Forever. And is a subsidiary of 2K, one of the more egregious publishers when it comes to shitty DLC practices. (Evolve, anyone?)

Gearbox has a long track record of fucking up just as much as they do getting something right. In fact, when it comes to handling IPs not of their own they tend to mess them up far more than doing them well. Spectacularly so, even. Further, I really wasn't that impressed with Borderlands 2 and TPS. I couldn't even bring myself to finish BL2. The writing was just...dreadful.

That, and it's been a LONG time since Opposing Force....

So, no. No joke. I have little respect for Gearbox. About the only thing I respect of them nowadays is their decision to grant the rights for the Homeworld brand to Blackbird Interactive, thus giving us the upcoming sequel Homeworld: Shipbreakers.

Now, granted, this is not to say I think everyone there is bad. On the contrary. I think they have some supremely talented artists and designers over there. I just feel that their management team is...less so.

Pre ordering this Friday for my birthday, loved the series and can't wait to play this updated version.

Aw, no home-world cataclysm. I understand it is an outlier in many ways, licensing included... but those fleshy ships are begging for a hd redo.

That and (dare I say it) the other ship designs and new elements to the game-play was pretty sweet in that game too.

xxobot:
Aw, no home-world cataclysm. I understand it is an outlier in many ways, licensing included... but those fleshy ships are begging for a hd redo.

That and (dare I say it) the other ship designs and new elements to the game-play was pretty sweet in that game too.

They literally lost the sourcecode of Cataclysm which is the main reason it is not in there.

OT: Oh dear, this is sooo wonderful.
I just hope that the remastered edition will be as moddable as the original, there are some genius mod-developers in the HW community!

Is there any word if this will be issued for the Mac as well?

well i told myself that i would not preorder anything again after the last debacle but damn it i couldnt help myself with this i have a problem i need help, i told myself "its discounted" "its already come out once and people raved about it" "its just a remaster how can they fuck it up" are those good enough reasons for breaking my promise to the most important person in the world to me?

Vigormortis:

Anyway, I'm not entirely sold on this remaster. I still have the originals, which are still immensely fun, and I'm not really seeing $35 worth of visual/audio improvements.

Might consider it if the price drops a bit, and once it's confirmed whether or not Gearbox fucked up the games.

Definitely not pre-ordering or getting it at launch due to the Gearbox name. Also needs a price cut.

The important question is, does it still have the Yes soundtrack?

Alfador_VII:

Vigormortis:

Definitely not pre-ordering or getting it at launch due to the Gearbox name. Also needs a price cut.

$35 for a prettied up version of one of the best games ever (or so I'm told) packaged with it's less good but still alright sequel seems like a pretty nice deal to me.

Edit: Then again, I've never played a Homeworld game, so it's probably a better deal for me than most fans.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here