Apple Is Spending $850 Million On Solar Power

Apple Is Spending $850 Million On Solar Power

Apple Campus 2 310x

New deal means Apple will be wholly powered by the sun in the U.S.

Apple announced this week that it wants to drastically cut its power grid consumption, and it's turning toward the sun (and its deep pockets) for the solution.

Confirmed yesterday (along with its Apple has signed a contract with First Solar worth roughly $850 million. The deal means virtually every aspect of Apple's footprint in California will be powered or offset by solar power -- from its HQ campuses in Cupertino, down to its retail stores in the state. Even its new data center will be powered by the big yellow ball of gas in the sky.

This is the biggest solar power purchase on record not made by a utility company, according to Bloomberg. And this isn't a purchase of existing infratructure; rather, First Solar is building a brand new solar farm, one that will produce enough power (130 MW) to power roughly 60,000 California homes. The new farm will be located in Monterey, California.

While this new solar plant is the biggest in Apple's portfolio, it's not the first. Three smaller solar farms power Apple-owned infrastructure, including a recently completed project in North Carolina.

Apple isn't the only tech giant to sign massive renewable energy deals. Google has roughly one gigawatt of wind power at its disposal, while Microsoft has access to about 285 MW.

Source: Bloomberg Business

People hate on these companies (half of the time for very valid reasons), but this is really positive!
Hidden agenda/PR stunt motives aside; the reason doesn't matter, as long as unequivical good is done!!! :)

Kenjitsuka:
People hate on these companies (half of the time for very valid reasons), but this is really positive!
Hidden agenda/PR stunt motives aside; the reason doesn't matter, as long as unequivical good is done!!! :)

Its also huge investment in those Solar companies so could lead to better Solar power panels.

I've often thought about getting solar panels installed to support my own electrical consumption. Unfortunately I'm too poor to afford them at the moment, but some day...

There we go. When companies start putting big money into something it's a good indication that it might actually be economically feasible. And even if it fails, at least it's just on them, not like Solyndra.

Ukomba:
There we go. When companies start putting big money into something it's a good indication that it might actually be economically feasible. And even if it fails, at least it's just on them, not like Solyndra.

What exactly is "Solyndra"? I've never heard of that before.

OT: Well, this should be interesting. Maybe they'll find a way to make better solar panels, would be nice to see something good come out of this.

so we all know where to go during the zombie apocalypse.

dalek sec:

Ukomba:

What exactly is "Solyndra"? I've never heard of that before.

OT: Well, this should be interesting. Maybe they'll find a way to make better solar panels, would be nice to see something good come out of this.

A Solar company that got a $536 million from U.S. Energy Department in 2009 then went bankrupt two years later.

Oh so impressive.

The factory where I work is purely ran on Biofuel. Separate from the national grid.

So, they're finally powering-up the Jobnet AI that will take over the World.

I am not a supporter of Apple by any means, but this is good news. Maybe one day solar technology can be affordable for the rest of the world due to the investment of these large companies. Plus I am sure this is some sort of giant tax write off to boot for them :)

Ukomba:
There we go. When companies start putting big money into something it's a good indication that it might actually be economically feasible.

It might be that they're investing in these newfangled graphene solar panels that are supposedly both cheaper to make and produce more energy than traditional silicone panels. Really, if that stuff can do even half of the things people are claiming it can do, it's going to literally revolutionize everything.

Kenjitsuka:

not really. Most people are ignorant that solar panels are actually quite harmful to enviroment due to the way they are produced and need for constant replacement due to damage by elements. early production of solar panels even caused one of tortoise species to get into endangered species list because their shells was a component. yet all people see is "free" electrocity.

Kajin:
I've often thought about getting solar panels installed to support my own electrical consumption. Unfortunately I'm too poor to afford them at the moment, but some day...

unless you live in a desert - dont bother. the output of solar plans and need for perfect conditions make them of little value. They work in places like Turkey where sun shines almost entire year round, they are much less effective in places like England

You are better of investing in geothernal energy if you live in a place where the crust isnt too high.

mad825:
Oh so impressive.

The factory where I work is purely ran on Biofuel. Separate from the national grid.

I certainly hope its second generation biofuel because if its the first generation your one of the largest polluters.

XenoScifi:
Maybe one day solar technology can be affordable for the rest of the world

I certainly hope not, because that would mean sun being closer to earth.

see, if you take average amount of solar fallout on earth, and then calculate for entire earth being covered in solar panels with 100% efficiency (currently we dont even got half of that we are dabbling in 20-40% range) you still only get a third or less of energy needed by the world. so there is no way to have solar power everything unless we get closer to the sun.

Product Placement:

It might be that they're investing in these newfangled graphene solar panels that are supposedly both cheaper

I want to see some info on that. isnt graphene quite expensive to manufacture in quantities that would be needed for solar panels?

Strazdas:

Product Placement:

It might be that they're investing in these newfangled graphene solar panels that are supposedly both cheaper

I want to see some info on that.

A hyped up article parading graphene solar panels, which happened to be the top result for a simple google search
Abstract from a scientific paper, published in 2013

Strazdas:
isnt graphene quite expensive to manufacture in quantities that would be needed for solar panels?

Cost is going down. There's also some hypothetical methods of creating large sheets of graphene using solution based methods.

Product Placement:

A hyped up article parading graphene solar panels, which happened to be the top result for a simple google search
Abstract from a scientific paper, published in 2013
Cost is going down. There's also some hypothetical methods of creating large sheets of graphene using solution based methods.

Oh i understand that the panels do exist, i wanted some info on them being cheaper than the alternative.
What the article says is that a new method is found, but does not state how expensive it is in comparison.

Also awesome username

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.