DICE Wants Community Input On Future Battlefield 4 Map

DICE Wants Community Input On Future Battlefield 4 Map

DICE wants to make a new BF4 map with community input, test it in the CTE.

EA and DICE have already committed to bringing more DLC to Battlefield 4 this year, including new versions of maps from past entries in the franchise. But it's not all re-worked Mashtuur City madness, as DICE also wants new creations in the mix.

Specifically, DICE wants to make at least one map with the Battlefield community, to be put through its paces in the Community Test Environment (CTE).

"Together with our development team, you will get to shape a playable map based on your input and expertise on what makes a fun multiplayer level," says DICE in its latest Battlelog update. "This map will then be tested and tweaked in the CTE...As part of this CTE testing you will be providing feedback on the map, and creating the final [product] together with us."

Exclusive to Battlefield 4 Premium members, the CTE program was launched in 2014 after widespread complaints about Battlefield 4's stability, "netcode" problems, and other issues with gameplay mechanics. This program is where all the community map input will take place, starting with the CTE forums.

Sourcing a map from active community members is always a welcome design path, but it could be too late in the game for BF4. Battlefield: Hardline is due out next month, which means the initiative could come after many players transition to the newer game. And the move also begs the question: Why doesn't DICE release a downloadable Frostbite map-making tool, and let dedicated community members make their own maps? A Team Fortress 2-like initiative -- DICE picks its three or four favorite community-made maps, and makes them official selections -- could go a long way in maintaining strong ties with the game's community.

New maps aside, DICE is also pushing out a new "Winter Patch" next month, which will "[polish] things like netcode and soldier collision." The patch will also address balance concerns in the Squad Obliteration game mode.

Source: Battlelog

Fix the game first?

Or is that an over done answer that everyone else gives?

Why not just canonize the most popular player made ones for the PC? Maybe give them the triple-A touch but otherwise make them just be player made ones. Works for TF2 and Garry's Mod.

More BF4 stuff? That would be nice as I probably will not ever buy Hardline.
I am quite interested to see which old maps will be in it but I can almost guess which ones...

Unlike most who are complaining, Im happy DICE isn't sweeping BF4 under the rug with the advent of a new title.
That being said, someone get on making a combo of Metro and Whiteout and piss everyone off.

TheRundownRabbit:
Unlike most who are complaining, Im happy DICE isn't sweeping BF4 under the rug with the advent of a new title.
That being said, someone get on making a combo of Metro and Whiteout and piss everyone off.

Ok I know metro as the meatgrinder from BF3 but what is whiteout?

kajinking:

TheRundownRabbit:

I'm not sure if this is the map he's thinking of, but it's probably Operation Locker. Locker was Battlefield 4's equivalent of Metro until Second Assault came out and contained pretty much everything everyone loved/hated about Metro (chaotic close-quarters environment, ridiculous amounts of choke-points, almost impossible to change game outcomes in, etc).

FogHornG36:
Fix the game first?

Yes, it is overdone. You can't just move level designers and artists over to bugfixing. They have dedicated people in teams working on that, and in the meanwhile this keeps other talented people with a job.

Also:

New maps aside, DICE is also pushing out a new "Winter Patch" next month, which will "[polish] things like netcode and soldier collision." The patch will also address balance concerns in the Squad Obliteration game mode.

OT: I'd honestly think BF4 would be dead content-wise by now, but it looks like DICE is gonna keep a tab open on this while working on SW: Battlefront. Which is nice, cause I'm not really too keen on getting Hardline when Battlefront is coming up.

Zip Loc:

kajinking:

TheRundownRabbit:

I'm not sure if this is the map he's thinking of, but it's probably Operation Locker. Locker was Battlefield 4's equivalent of Metro until Second Assault came out and contained pretty much everything everyone loved/hated about Metro (chaotic close-quarters environment, ridiculous amounts of choke-points, almost impossible to change game outcomes in, etc).

BF4 4th expansion map. There are instances with weather where the snow comes in and players can't see 5 ft in front of them

I think the continued support for BF4 is because pre-order numbers for Hardline are much (much, much) lower than EA expected. The shift from BF4 from BF3 was being planned months before release, close dates for servers getting set, matches arranged etc. Hardline's being met with a resounding shrug, nobody seems to want to pay EA's server fees and risk having half of them sit empty all the time in a repeat of BF4's first seven months.

I'm sure plenty will buy it, but I bet the numbers will be down on BF4 and hugely down on BF3.

FogHornG36:
Fix the game first?

In all seriousness, since the big 'make everything we changed from BF3 back to how it was in BF3' patch it's about as fixed as it's going to get.

Most notably weapons that aren't assault rifles and carbines are actually usable again and the hit detection is as good as it's ever been (so not great, but passable).

This Just In: Community wants DICE to fix their game first. Also wants Star Wars Battlefront to be a "fucking awesome game that does not suck in any way shape or form and has no fucking day 1 game breaking bugs."

Devin Connors:
Why doesn't DICE release a downloadable Frostbite map-making tool, and let dedicated community members make their own maps? A Team Fortress 2-like initiative -- DICE picks its three or four favorite community-made maps, and makes them official selections -- could go a long way in maintaining strong ties with the game's community.

^This, This and even more THIS! If you aren't going to let us have full mod support, at least you could let us make our own maps.

To many people mod support was a very big part of what made the older Battlefield games so good. Mods like Desert Combat, (1942) Forgotten Hope 2, (2) Project Reality, (2) First Strike, (2142) and many more brought many new and interesting elements to the games. They were really nice for those times that you felt a little tired of the base game. Heck, Desert Combat was so good DICE bought Trauma Studios to help them make Battlefield 2.

I guess I just don't understand how they can think... "Mod support? Eh, we have more important things to make. Now Battlelog and Orgin Requirements, THAT is what we need to implement."

While Mod support alone isn't necessarily going to convince me to buy a new Battlefield game, It would definitely peak my interest enough to seriously look into it.

I just hope that they get their act together by the time they release 2143.
For the love of God, PLEASE don't screw it up.

Mod Support is one of the absolute BEST things you can do with your game. VERY few things can compare.
I welcome this ... change...

But... you know, it is STILL inferior to what Battlefield 2 was with mods. Some of them were so god damned good... they rivaled the next game.... ohh that is why the hardcore capitalist morons stopped modding...

Too bad EA had DICE turn their backs on the community best able to help them out here years ago. I still play 2 because of mods. I've never played 3 or 4 because of lack of mod support, and it's not looking like I'll be playing the reskin of 4 either.

I still can't play bf4. Been like that for months. Please spend your money on fixing the game so it is playable instead of making more maps that I won't ever be able to play.

Signed

Everyone

I just want to say that DICE is doing all the right things to fix Battlefield 4. These days, games are going to come out broken; it's just how things are. But if more games had a CTE, and took player input on things, then I think a lot of broken games could get fixed a lot faster, and maybe we'd stop getting all those games no one asked for.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here