Pebble's New Smartwatch Kickstarter: $4.7 Million in Four Hours

Pebble's New Smartwatch Kickstarter: $4.7 Million in Four Hours

Pebble Time Smartwatch 310x

The latest from Pebble promises a May 2015 ship date, seven-day battery, and color display.

Pebble has taken to Kickstarter yet again to launch a new smartwatch, and the results this time around are staggering, to say the least.

After launching this morning at 10AM ET with an initial funding goal of $500,000, the Pebble Time watch has already collected $4.4 million from over 21,000 backers on the crowdfunding site. That has to be a new record on quickest to $4 million, and there's still 31 days left in the funding campaign.

The Pebble Time will be the third smartwatch from the independent manufacturer (its watches work with both Android and iOS phones). Pebble promises a rather robust tech upgrade over its Pebble and Pebble Steel models, all while boasting a lengthy battery life. The Time (no, not the band) comes with a color ePaper display (something only found in a handful of eReaders right now), as well as backwards compatibility with any app made for previous Pebble models (over 6,500 if watchfaces are included). There's also a new Timeline interface that acts as a sort of daily calendar, as well as promised fitness tracking partnerships with Misfit and Jawbone. Finally, there's a new "smart accessory port," that will let third-party manufacturers and vendors create and attach sensors to the watch.

All of the new tech won't lead to dreary battery life, according to Pebble, as the Time can reportedly go seven days before needing a recharge. If the battery life on the Pebble Time holds up after the watch ships in May, it will stand in stark contrast to the rumors surrounding the Apple Watch, which will reportedly need recharging daily.

For the more watch-minded users, the Time uses a standard 22mm strap, and the watch body has a quick-release mechanism that should make swapping the factory-installed strap out with your own a relative snap.

The original early bird tier saw the $199 Time go for $159 (plus $10 shipping in the U.S.) but all 10,000 spots are taken. The next tier, still open at the time of publication, offers the watch for $199. Other tiers are bundle offers, allowing you to buy two, three, or more watches at discounted rates. The three shipping colors are Black, White, and Red.

The original Pebble smartwatch was launched on Kickstarter in April 2012, where it saw roughly $10.2 million in funding from over 68,000 backers.

Source: Pebble (Kickstarter)

What the f-

How? Why? Who?

I don't get smartwatches at all. To me, they seem like the "pause song" button for the bone idle ._.

Someone mind explaining this to me? Is it because it's independent from Android and iOS? That I could understand, but otherwise I have no understanding as to why this is so successful and why smartwatches are still a trend and not a gimmick >_<

Sigmund Av Volsung:
What the f-

How? Why? Who?

I don't get smartwatches at all. To me, they seem like the "pause song" button for the bone idle ._.

Someone mind explaining this to me? Is it because it's independent from Android and iOS? That I could understand, but otherwise I have no understanding as to why this is so successful and why smartwatches are still a trend and not a gimmick >_<

I'm as confused as you. Besides being all secret agent-y by being able to send voice messages to people by talking to your watch I really don't see the appeal...

Sigmund Av Volsung:
What the f-

How? Why? Who?

I suppose the same reason people have smartphones, tell time, read messages, I guess answer the phone if people still think it's cool. Instead of having to pull the phone out every single minute, now you can read your whatsapps from your wrists, which saves like 3 seconds of pulling out and putting back in a phone.

Though I'd imagine needing a much bigger screen for that, for me a good smart watch should be the size of a small smartphone.

Jokes on you my watches battery life is years if not closer to a decade.

Devieus:

Sigmund Av Volsung:
What the f-

How? Why? Who?

I suppose the same reason people have smartphones, tell time, read messages, I guess answer the phone if people still think it's cool. Instead of having to pull the phone out every single minute, now you can read your whatsapps from your wrists, which saves like 3 seconds of pulling out and putting back in a phone.

Though I'd imagine needing a much bigger screen for that, for me a good smart watch should be the size of a small smartphone.

Yeah but a smartphone is a significant improvement over a normal phone(aside from battery life and adaptability as a weapon, see: Nokia), whereas I find smartwatches difficult to justify for their extravagant cost.

That and the whole "conspicuous consumption" thing and not to mention that you'd be carrying upwards of $500 of gear on you that can easily be stolen or make you a target in rougher places...

Yeah, I don't get the necessity for smartwatches. Having the sum of human knowledge available in my pocket is a plus. Shaving off 3 seconds in the process of checking my messages is...something else.

My pebble replaced a Bluetooth call bracelet. I just cant feel my phone vibrate and I'm often in places too loud to hear my ring tone or it would simply be discourteous to have it on (ie. the theater). The added functionality of being a watch, water resistant, and displaying caller id, text messages, are all just icing as far as I care.

I'm curious what the teased special bonus for those that backed the original Pebble will be. Now to decide if I want to drop $200 on a color eink upgrade over my current pebble... or wait for a Time Steel or the Steel to be reduced in price

"Finally, there's a new "smart accessory port," that will let third-party manufacturers and vendors create and attach sensors to the watch."

Finally indeed! Now I can *finally* walk around like Ronny Raymond: http://scifimonkeys.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/maxresdefault.jpg

Oh, the sensors!

Seriously, though; the future of medicine and geriatric care is *all* about remote sensors, so this is another good jumping off point for that.

For actual smart watches though... I don't even want a dumb one, let alone a silly phone extension.

Sigmund Av Volsung:

Devieus:

Sigmund Av Volsung:
What the f-

How? Why? Who?

Yeah but a smartphone is a significant improvement over a normal phone(aside from battery life and adaptability as a weapon, see: Nokia), whereas I find smartwatches difficult to justify for their extravagant cost.

That and the whole "conspicuous consumption" thing and not to mention that you'd be carrying upwards of $500 of gear on you that can easily be stolen or make you a target in rougher places...

Yeah, I don't get the necessity for smartwatches. Having the sum of human knowledge available in my pocket is a plus. Shaving off 3 seconds in the process of checking my messages is...something else.

It doesn't really work as a necessity. It's really a luxury. And, as with a lot of luxury goods, as long it's flashy and still has utility, it's done its job.

Another thing to consider is people who don't always have their phone in their pockets, or it's inconvenient to have it on-hand. For example, when I go for the occasional jog in the morning I listen to music on my phone. Rather than having to interrupt my workout just to pull my phone out and change the volume/song/playlist, I could easily do so from my (hypothetical) smartwatch.

That's just one example, though there are others I'm sure in which having a smartwatch would simplify things, if only marginally. So as a luxury good, the consumer must decide whether they can afford to remove minute inconveniences with such a device. For me, I'd probably have to make morning jogs more frequent to really give it some serious consideration. But it sure would make things just the tiniest bit simpler.

With Shadowrun doing the same thing for games, this seems to solidify as the ideal path for Kickstarter:

"First we have proven that we are not scammers, now we can mosty do a project on our own, support us to get a copy of our next thing that is certain to get made, and be a part of it's creation process."

Not exactly preordering, as it's both more risky yet more useful than that, but still more professional than just a donation scheme.

7 days is pretty short for a device with an e-ink display... Those things are awesome, though I wish I could get a colour one from somewhere that was hackable...

Here I am with my iPod Nano 6th Gen which basically functions the same.

Then apple does something laughably stupid and makes the 7th gen (or whatever it's up to now) longer and thus useless as a watch!

I carry my smartphone with me everywhere anyway, I just use my watch for time and music.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.