Blomkamp Confirms His Alien Film Is A Direct Sequel To Aliens

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blomkamp Confirms His Alien Film Is A Direct Sequel To Aliens

Sigourney Weaver wants to give the Alien franchise a "proper ending."

During an interview with Sky Movies, director Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium) confirmed that his now-official Alien film will be a direct sequel to James Cameron's Aliens.

"I want this film to feel like it is literally the genetic sibling of Aliens," says Blomkamp in the embedded interview. "So it's Alien, Aliens, [and] this movie."

Sigourney Weaver also appears in the interview, and says she and Blomkamp started discussing the Alien franchise as soon as they started working together on the director's third Hollywood project, the forthcoming Chappie.

"I would love to take Ripley from orbiting around in space and give a proper finish to what was such an excellent story," says Weaver. If that ends up being the scenario, the gap between this film and Aliens would be very similar -- a few decades or so of deep space hypersleep -- to the gap between Ridley Scott's Alien and Cameron's sequel.

The move would also effectively nullify Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, but given the sci-fi loving public's lack of love for both of those films (compared to the first two in the franchise, at least), it doesn't seem like 20th Century Fox really cares. (Also, you know, the whole "let's make a few hundred million dollars-plus on a new Alien film with Sigourney Weaver," argument.)

So the project, which started, incredibly, as an side passion project/hobby, is now officially humming away, but given the lack of a script or fleshed-out cast, I wouldn't expect a trailer for Alien 3: Sigourney's Mulligan until at least 2016.

Source: Sky Movies (YouTube)

I've always felt like this is the way to go, but I'm a little sad that it's almost certainly in the vain of the second, and not the first, film. The first film was truly horrifying, and had great potential. Then it became an action series. Knowing Blomcamp, this isn't likely to change. I really don't like this director, but if he keeps it simple, stays true to the tone of the originals, and odesn't use this movie as a soap box, he could maybe make an okay film.

But cinematic optimism has failed me so far, so I'll assume it'll be a pretentious pile until I hear otherwise.

part 3 is certainly the worst alien movie. part 4 was watchable. but better than part 3.
now if they can deliver with this new movie, it could be good. till then, part 2 is still the true leader of the alien franchise.

Oh great. Just great.

I may be in the minority, but I liked Alien 3, albeit not as much as the first two. But even if I didn't, if we're in the realm of arbitrarily declaring films non-canon, forgive me for not being enthused. And Resurrection is moot considering that Ripley 8 is not the same person as Ellen Ripley. Ripley's story definitively ended for me on Fiorina, and the last moments of Alien 3 truly sealed that. And as material outside the films have shown, the universe can survive without Ellen Ripley in it.

It's bad enough that Prometheus rendered practically everything the EU established about the mala'lak down to their very biology, but now we have two films rendered non-canon this time, not to mention everything else (though again, speaking as someone who liked Colonial Marines, even if it didn't live up to the hype).

Anyway, spleen vented. Guess Fox has to keep the dollars flowing...

At this point, why the hell not?

My only question is how they're going to justify Ripley being 30ish years older. Other then just setting it 30 years later.

So if this film ignores Alien 3 and becomes the new alien canon, then surely it must also ignore Aliens Colonial Marines as canon too, as that monstrosity game bridges the gap between Aliens and Alien 3.

This news is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Fox12:
I've always felt like this is the way to go, but I'm a little sad that it's almost certainly in the vain of the second, and not the first, film. The first film was truly horrifying, and had great potential. Then it became an action series. Knowing Blomcamp, this isn't likely to change. I really don't like this director, but if he keeps it simple, stays true to the tone of the originals, and odesn't use this movie as a soap box, he could maybe make an okay film.

But cinematic optimism has failed me so far, so I'll assume it'll be a pretentious pile until I hear otherwise.

I have only ever been truly scared by two movies.

Alien and Close Encounters of A Third Kind.

The way Alien builds tension so perfectly with the dread of the unknown.

Close Encounter of A Third Kind wasn't scary... just the images of the aliens freaked me out (I apparently have a repressed fear of little green men)

OT - I am optimistic. The real issue is going to be whether FOX pulls an Alien3 again or not. Hopefully they don't tamper with his vision unless his vision really needs it.

I still don't know why everyone hates on Alien 3. I thought that film (especially the director's cut) was fantastic and wonderfully bleak. I'd say its definitely the most beautifully designed film in the franchise, even if the Runner Alien puppetry failed at times.

If they can find some way to patch it in between Aliens and Alien 3, I'd be all for it (we don't know how much time passed between those two - it's implied to be immediate, but they could have spent ages drifting around in deep space).

I'm down with the notion. I'm not down with arbitrarily tossing 3 and Resurrection out of the window, however shite 3 was. (I may be one of the few people here who genuinely enjoys Resurrection, mind.)

I liked Alien 3's extended cut (if not the theatrical version).
Alien 4 if you squint at it is sort of a proto-Firefly movie and not so awful. If they had cut the clone Ripley plot line it could have been a really good film.

Ridley Scott has found himself increasingly irrelevant recently and unfortunately he feels strip mining past success is his only choice. The real problem is he has been irrelevant to the Alien franchise after he made #1.

I feel about Blomkamp making this movie exactly how I would feel if they had announced M. Night Shyamalan was making it.
I would only accept an Alien 2.5 directed by James Cameron.

If they want to spend money on the Alien franchise, throw money at David Fincher to make a real director's cut.

Soviet Heavy:
I still don't know why everyone hates on Alien 3. I thought that film (especially the director's cut) was fantastic and wonderfully bleak. I'd say its definitely the most beautifully designed film in the franchise, even if the Runner Alien puppetry failed at times.

The problem with Alien 3, at least for me, is that outside of Ripley none of the characters are sympathetic. I mean, the movie takes place in a prison for murderers, rapists, and other psychopaths. It actually makes it kind of difficult not to root for the Alien.

Say what you want about the characters in Aliens all being meat-head douchebags, but they're all really entertaining and brimming with personality, and it's a lot of fun watching them slowly crumble as shit starts hitting the fan. Aliens 3 never had that for me.

Soviet Heavy:

Correction. There hasn't been and never will be a "Director's Cut" of Alien3. David Fincher disowns the film and even to this day rarely ever talks about it.

And here's my reasoning why I personally hate Alien3. It took Ripley's rescue of Newt and turned into a mistake that killed everyone. If she had simply left Newt to die, everything would have been fine. How low do you have to go in order to justify your already weak story?

Eh. Now, IMHO, what would have been interesting if they'd allow an Aliens5 to be made, as well as this. Don't erase an old continuity in favour of a new one, split them into two different franchises that share common films.

I, uh...what? A direct sequel to Aliens...30 years later.

Hmm.

I love Alien, Aliens, and even grew to appreciate the "restored" version of Alien 3 after buying the Quadrilogy, but this is one of those things that makes me wonder if it's really worth the effort to rejuvenate something that's already out of the minds of so many people. Declaring that it's a direct sequel to Aliens is fine in terms of needing a starting point to work with, but I wouldn't keep bringing it up. I hope that a lot of people who didn't see Aliens get to see this new movie from an entirely fresh viewpoint. Since I love Alien 1-3 tremendously, my view would be heavily skewed to say the least.

If anyone could save the Alien movie franchise, it's Blomkamp. He's certainly got a vision, plus he doesn't shy away from ambitious special effects.

I actually really liked Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection. So this is rather disappointing news to me.

Dalisclock:

My only question is how they're going to justify Ripley being 30ish years older.

just setting it 30 years later.

DING DING DING!

anyway

if theyre throwing out the continuity of Alien 3/4 then I'm cool with that, if we can reboot a movie every 5 years then why can't we say "fuck it! we can do better!"

Is there any remote possibly that this can turn into what Alien 3 should have been? The one where the xenomorphs make it to Earth? There's a teaser trailer out there, and the way it paints the picture makes it sound like this movie could have been epic. All of humanity's tech and soldiers, and they are completely helpless against the sheer overwhelming numbers of the aliens. This is the movie I want to see, but I fear that the director won't even consider taking inspiration from it. Oh well.

Anyway, if this is good, I'll give it a shot. I will wait until I hear what fans of the franchise have to say though, because capturing the magic of the first two movies is very hard to do nowadays it seems.

Good.

The resolution of Alien 3 made it very hard for me to effectively enjoy Alien: Isolation because in the end I knew none of it mattered (for many spoiler-y 23 year old reasons) and for horror games, that is a feeling you never want to give the player who spent 60 bucks on it. The same with how unless it's an arthouse movie or it is the point of the movie, an "everyone eats ****" ending usually isn't gonna be well received... again, unless the point of the movie of watching people in utter misery or make exceedingly poor decisions (i.e. Salo: 120 Days of Sodom, Cannibal Holocaust, A Serbian Film, Hostel, Saw, Sinister, Paranormal Activity, Martyrs), most audiences will hate it.

But for the fans of Alien 3, you'll be happy to know that the events of Alien 3 and Resurrection will still exist. All the bright orange camera colors of Resurrection with the Firefly rejects and a random Ron Perlman role, or the literal Ellen Ripley-raping and child killing of Alien 3. Thankfully that will all still exist for your viewing pleasure! :)

Nazulu confirms this a retarded idea and is ignoring this sequel.

I just wished they made Alien films like the first, where it was made out they were perfect and scary, instead of just dumb monsters with disadvantaged breeding.

Kinitawowi:
(I may be one of the few people here who genuinely enjoys Resurrection, mind.)

I found Resurrection the creepiest and scariest. Aliens already ruined the story for me (though I like the film) so the story's in 3 and Resurrection didn't make me bleed fanboism.

So, they're going this route. I could care less either way as long as it is good. After Ridley Scott saying the film that would become Prometheus was an Alien prequel/sequel, then saying no it's just "set in the same universe" and finally making a idiot ball holding shitfest (that was, per modern Hollywood tradition, re-wrote too many times,) that had way too many call backs the the Alien franchise to not be a prequel (I forget what relationship it was suppose to have at the time of release.), I really just want something intelligent with the thriller mood of the first, the action atmosphere of the second and the horror of both. Resurrection almost had that feeling, but Whedon's campy script didn't really fit the tone of the franchise.

I can guess they either age up Ripley by letting her finally live out some of her life without Giger's sex-nightmares saying "Hi" with their toothed-phallus tongues or going with the tried and true method of sci-fi storytelling known as "hypersleep systems malfunction."

Good cos I have only ever seen Alien and Aliens (BTW, Ridley Scott's was better) so now I don't have to watch the (apparently terrible) third and fourth Alien films and can go jump right on in to Neill Blomkamp's! I hope it's good! I hope Chappie is awesome too!

For anyone not in the know Neils entire career started out with this short film.(god I'm old). Just remember - never be afraid to put your stuff out there even if you feel like its not good enough.

So, it's a fanfilm pretending to be Canon, huh? Okelido. I mean, 3 & Resurrection will ALWAYS be the Canon. Just like how Superman Returns suddenly didn't become the new Canon.

I'm starting to wonder if this is more wishful thinking on the part of Blomkamp, Scott, et. al.

The producers of the Alien franchise have always been very hands on and protective. I'm not saying that has been a good thing, just that it's true.

Now you've got some people bragging that they are about to make Alien 3 and 4 not exist. So let me ask you... how many times have these movies been released on VHS, laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray, separately, theatrical cuts, extended cuts, and as Quadrilogy/Legacy/Anthology box sets?

Lots. Lots and lots. Because people buy them again and again.

Now lets presume only Alien 1, 2 and the new 2.5 are canon. What are you boxing and selling? What are people newly introduced to the franchise going to buy? Yup, half the old series or 60% of what you have to sell them. Maybe you can talk them into Prometheus, but maybe not.

Just from a business perspective, this is a dreadful idea. A reboot, sequel, prequel, film about Ripley's daughter bumping into xenomorphs: you can sell those. Once you disown your own films, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

The producers have to know this. I suspect much of what they are saying now will change if another film really happens. I've got money that says Blomkamp will be replaced or quit.

Hawki:
Oh great. Just great.

I may be in the minority, but I liked Alien 3, albeit not as much as the first two. But even if I didn't, if we're in the realm of arbitrarily declaring films non-canon, forgive me for not being enthused. And Resurrection is moot considering that Ripley 8 is not the same person as Ellen Ripley. Ripley's story definitively ended for me on Fiorina, and the last moments of Alien 3 truly sealed that. And as material outside the films have shown, the universe can survive without Ellen Ripley in it.

It's bad enough that Prometheus rendered practically everything the EU established about the mala'lak down to their very biology, but now we have two films rendered non-canon this time, not to mention everything else (though again, speaking as someone who liked Colonial Marines, even if it didn't live up to the hype).

Anyway, spleen vented. Guess Fox has to keep the dollars flowing...

I loved Alien 3. It was very different from the other alien movies, but definitely had the best characters and character development. Hell. I loved the 4th one too. It had a bunch of aliens in it, whats not to like? Plus, the underwater scenes were just ace.

I'd take anything to get more alien movies tbh, and I loved District 9 so I'm interested in seeing how this will go. I just wish people didnt expect another Alien 1 movie. If you want that, just watch the first one. Its not like it hasnt aged well, its still one of the greatest movies ever.

Colonial Marines though...no....just no. Its not salvageable in any way. It was horrible from start to finish and a disgrace for everyone involved.

Frezzato:
something that's already out of the minds of so many people.

Speak for yourself, I had Prometheus right up there along side pizza on the pedestal untill I saw it... The amount of plot holes and stupid decission made me feel so horrible and that it ruined my experience...
I want redemption by dang it!

tzimize:

Colonial Marines though...no....just no. Its not salvageable in any way. It was horrible from start to finish and a disgrace for everyone involved.

But CM doesn't exist?! How can you speak of things that do not exist?

tzimize:

I loved Alien 3. It was very different from the other alien movies, but definitely had the best characters and character development. Hell. I loved the 4th one too. It had a bunch of aliens in it, whats not to like? Plus, the underwater scenes were just ace.

I feel the same way. I especially liked the gruesome results of experiments on human/alien DNA in 4, there was a bit of a commentary on the dangers of genetic engineering viewed through the lens of the 90s.

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Let's hope Chappie turns out interesting first.

District 9 is still one of my top sci-fi movies, and I have respect for Neill Blomkamp. I always felt like the Alien franchise never got the ending it deserved, and coupled with the frankly shitty Prometheus, this is the news I've always wanted to hear. Granted, from what I've seen from his other movies, it might be more action-focused than the original Alien which is my favorite. But who knows, he showed himself to capable of more than just pretty action in District 9.

I'm one of the few that liked Alien Resurrection I see. I thought it was equal parts hilarious and creepy. That and I kind of like the hybrid!Ripley thing, even if it sorta scream fanfic insert.

Laggyteabag:
This news is like the gift that keeps on giving.

My thoughts exactly. And I've never been a really big fan of Alien franchise. But I know how much it means to a lot of people so I'm happy that they might get the movie and conclusion that they deserve.

While I really want this movie, Blomkamps movies have so far been great, I still kinda want Ellen Ripley to stay dead because all this will do if successful in the eyes of execs is prove the franchise needs her, which means when Sigourney becomes too old or dies the franchise will be rebooted.

the series needs to move away from Ellen Ripley, Make Newt the new main heroine for the franchise.

and Alien3 [assembly cut] will never not be cannon to me... it's now just going to be a nightmare Ripley had in hyper sleep, rather than actual events.. I mean it's already cannon in Aliens that she has nightmares of being the victim of a chestburster.

Boris Goodenough:

Frezzato:
something that's already out of the minds of so many people.

Speak for yourself, I had Prometheus right up there along side pizza on the pedestal untill I saw it... The amount of plot holes and stupid decission made me feel so horrible and that it ruined my experience...
I want redemption by dang it!

I think at this point, all I can say is, considering Blomkamp's love of robotics, you just know he's going to put a powerloader in his movie. The question for me however, is whether the powerloaders in Blomkamp's 'Alienss' are fast and agile (like EVERYTHING in his movies) or if they'll be lumbering construction equipment, like in Cameron's movie. I'm definitely curious about that now.

Boris Goodenough:

I must be the only person alive that thought Prometheus made complete sense, I honestly didn't see any plot holes at all.

AS for stupidity, to be honest I found the behaviour of their scientists utterly believable.

ForumSafari:

I must be the only person alive that thought Prometheus made complete sense, I honestly didn't see any plot holes at all.

AS for stupidity, to be honest I found the behaviour of their scientists utterly believable.

The biologist wants to pet a hissing unknown alien and the geoligist with his (completed) 3D mapping gets lost...
Not to mention that her air tank got refilled in those few min she ran around inside the spaceship.

Also they cover it far more funny than I ever could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWnTW4rL0U

I pray to God this "obviously superior to Alien 3 and Alien 4" sequel turns out worse than both of those. Christ, that would be a fucking laugh. And with Neil Blomkamp directing it may even happen. The Aliens will undoubtable be turned into somekind of allegory for minorities or the rift between the rich and poor.

At this point they're just deciding what's canon and what isn't on a whim. Fucking take your lumps! Learn from your mistakes, don't just ignore them.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here