Blomkamp Confirms His Alien Film Is A Direct Sequel To Aliens

Pages PREV 1 2

Dalisclock:
At this point, why the hell not?

My only question is how they're going to justify Ripley being 30ish years older. Other then just setting it 30 years later.

Well from my perspective that's very easy, the Colonial Marines received the Sulaco's distress signal and Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop were rescued. Ripley is exonerated, Weyland Yutani gets prosecuted (but in true corporate fashion this ends up as a slap on the wrist).

Fast forward, it's thirty years later and Ripley's been living a relatively normal life in the intervening years when Hicks turns up with a USCM Officer and disturbing news.

Thank freaking god that those two films are going to be declared non canon. I think people who like Alien 3 and resurrection are looking at it way to much with rose tinted nostalgia glasses. Growing up in the 80's and 90's I never watched the Aliens franchise. I only got around to it when I was in college which was around 2003. So during that time I watched all 4 films back to back and became a late blooming fan.

Honestly Alien and Aliens captured my imagination and became two of my favorite films. Then I watched Aliens 3 and resurrection and it crushed my interest in the series completely. Those two films are absolute garbage compared to the first two. They also end up crapping on the other two good films. Newt being dead and causing the problems in Aliens 3 was absolute lazy garbage that shit in the face of the previous film.

When Isolation came out and I saw they were actively making some of the later movies non-canon it renewed my interest in the franchise. Finally with this news I am actually looking forward to something Aliens related now. I hope this trend of making bad movies none canon continues in other franchises *cough*The Matrix 3 and maybe 2*cough*.

Casual Shinji:
At this point they're just deciding what's canon and what isn't on a whim.

For all the people complaining about canon, I have one very simple question - so what? What possible difference does it make to anyone if someone, somewhere, says that they don't consider a particular film to be a "real" part of a story? No-one is going to go around buying up all copies of the thing they don't like, then wiping your memories of them with MiB's neuralisers. If you like a particular film, you are free to go right ahead and carry on liking it. No matter what Blomkamp, the producers, or anyone else says about them, Alien 3 and 4 still exist, are still for sale if you don't already own them, and you are free to watch and enjoy them as much as you like. The release of a new film won't make any difference whatsoever to that.

Fucking take your lumps! Learn from your mistakes, don't just ignore them.

Whose mistakes? Blomkamp has never made an Alien film before, so he doesn't have any mistakes to learn from. If he happens to think a new film would be better as a sequel to the second film than the fourth one, why should he be forced to do something else just because other people made some other films?

Both of the above issues seem particularly silly when you consider the history of the Alien franchise. So far we've had four films with four different directors and four writing teams (as credited at least, that's not counting the mess of Alien 3's production). Include Alien vs. Predator and that's another two to each. We're not looking at a well thought out, consistent series by a single writer with a vision, it's just a bunch of random films by completely different people with completely different styles and ideas about what is going on and why. The films so far have barely even belonged in the same genre (atmospheric horror, military sci-fi action, prison drama, camp space opera, and teen slasher), so worrying about who includes what as part of continuity and who likes which bits of what films is really about as pointless as you can get, even more so than usual. If Blomkamp can make a good film, great. If it isn't entirely consistent with every part of every film so far, even the bits that contradict the other bits - seriously, so what?

Fox12:
I've always felt like this is the way to go, but I'm a little sad that it's almost certainly in the vain of the second, and not the first, film. The first film was truly horrifying, and had great potential. Then it became an action series. Knowing Blomcamp, this isn't likely to change. I really don't like this director, but if he keeps it simple, stays true to the tone of the originals, and odesn't use this movie as a soap box, he could maybe make an okay film.

But cinematic optimism has failed me so far, so I'll assume it'll be a pretentious pile until I hear otherwise.

Thankyou for feeling this way! I somtimes feel like a heretic for loving the first one and hating how the Alien was transformed from a near-immortal killing machine to a space bug that can be finished off with a few bullets.

My other problem with this is that in Aliens Sigourney Weaver was 37, right now she's 65...i just cant see her being believable as the same character at the same age...

fix-the-spade:
Well from my perspective that's very easy, the Colonial Marines received the Sulaco's distress signal and Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop were rescued. Ripley is exonerated, Weyland Yutani gets prosecuted (but in true corporate fashion this ends up as a slap on the wrist).

Actually, is there any reason to believe that Weyland Yutani was at fault? I got the impression that it was one guy acting more or less by himself, because he didn't want to share anything.

If the company was involved on a large scale, instead of telling colonists "go look over here for something", they could have sent their own, properly equipped team in, and not caused a disaster.

Now that I think of it, get rid of 3, and it's only the old company 60 years ago that is corrupt. Of course, WY has to be evil, they can't change that, because it'd ruin the movies.

I find Alien 3 and A:R watchable, but I don't have an ounce of attachment to any of the characters in those movies. So I'm fine with shunting them off to the realm of "What-If" and taking another crack a post-Aliens continuation of the franchise.

Quellist:

Fox12:
I've always felt like this is the way to go, but I'm a little sad that it's almost certainly in the vain of the second, and not the first, film. The first film was truly horrifying, and had great potential. Then it became an action series. Knowing Blomcamp, this isn't likely to change. I really don't like this director, but if he keeps it simple, stays true to the tone of the originals, and odesn't use this movie as a soap box, he could maybe make an okay film.

But cinematic optimism has failed me so far, so I'll assume it'll be a pretentious pile until I hear otherwise.

Thankyou for feeling this way! I somtimes feel like a heretic for loving the first one and hating how the Alien was transformed from a near-immortal killing machine to a space bug that can be finished off with a few bullets.

My other problem with this is that in Aliens Sigourney Weaver was 37, right now she's 65...i just cant see her being believable as the same character at the same age...

There was a lot of mystery in the first one. They cut the scene where they discover a temple built in honor of the aliens, but they could have explored it in a sequel. What were the aliens really about? There was just so much mystery in the series, and you always felt like there was a lot more going on behind the scenes, between the faceless Weyland-Yutani, and the space jocks. Then there's the Alien itself. It's nigh unkillable, and then you watch the film again and remember that there are thousand of eggs out there. It's a very nihilistic take on the universe, and that scared me more then anything. It also did the best job f capturing Gigers vision. The sad thing is that Prometheus seemed to want to recapture that, which is why I was so excited for it. And then woefully disappointed. The only other film like it is The Thing.

Incidentally, I think sigourney weaver would be better in a horror film then an action one anyway. She's still in great shape for her age, after all. I really want this film to be good, but I think Blomkamp has a lot of James Cameron's weaknesses and not as many of his strengths. He's an action director through and through, and I think that's what we're going to get.

Kahani:
snip

Because those movies have been canon for the last 20 or so years now. No matter how much they sucked, they were made and backed as a continuation of the story. For Fox as well as Sigourney Weaver to just ignore them and go 'lalalalala' is damn lazy, as well as disrespectful to the people who put the work in.

Something like Alien vs. Predator can easily be ignored, because it doesn't take place in the same timeline and was basically just some spin-off fanservice. Plus it didn't make any sense since the Alien was first discovered in Alien.

Just going 'mulligan' as a writer or as keeper of a certain franchise (in this case 20th Century Fox) when someting didn't turn out the way you wanted doesn't instill much faith for future installments. I mean, if this next movie turns out to be shit despite the creators claiming it's totally canon, are they just going to decide 10 years down the line 'Oh yeah, it actually isn't canon, but this new movie will be... we think'?

thaluikhain:
Actually, is there any reason to believe that Weyland Yutani was at fault? I got the impression that it was one guy acting more or less by himself, because he didn't want to share anything.

Pretty much, Pretty much all the spin off material paints Weyland Yutani as a top down evil corporation but in the actual film it seems like terraforming is their real bread and butter and that the entire alien situation is down to Carter Burke seeing a possibility to advance himself, not even within the company as he talks about selling the aliens on to the bio weapons industry.

I'll allow myself some hopes. Maybe not as many as I allowed for Prometheus.

What's interesting about Alien and Aliens is they're so different in style, they're practically different genres... Aliens has more in common with war movies than horror movies. It'd be *really* interesting if Blomkamp could push this '3rd' film into a different direction again, rather than returning to the suspenseful style of the first film like Alien3 or Alien:Isolation.

Fox12:
There was a lot of mystery in the first one. They cut the scene where they discover a temple built in honor of the aliens, but they could have explored it in a sequel. What were the aliens really about? There was just so much mystery in the series, and you always felt like there was a lot more going on behind the scenes, between the faceless Weyland-Yutani, and the space jocks. Then there's the Alien itself. It's nigh unkillable, and then you watch the film again and remember that there are thousand of eggs out there. It's a very nihilistic take on the universe, and that scared me more then anything. It also did the best job f capturing Gigers vision. The sad thing is that Prometheus seemed to want to recapture that, which is why I was so excited for it. And then woefully disappointed. The only other film like it is The Thing.

That's the problem with the Alien sequels in general; the more they make the more flacid the universe and the Alien gets. Even if the movies are good, they'll just explain even more about the Alien turning it into some random creature. Which by this point it has already become. It still works as a frightening being in the context of the first movie, but beyond that it's about as scary now as Dracula and the monster of Frankenstein. I mean, what are they gonna do in this Aliens follow-up? Have another nest of Aliens somewhere that some evil/ignorant company is trying to weaponize?

It's why complaining about Prometheus not being good seems a bit superfluous. No matter what, that movie could never have matched what we imagined in our heads about the Derelict and the Space Jockey. That's what made that whole scene in the Derelict so haunting and powerful. It felt like something that came from beyond the blackness of space, something our mind just couldn't comprehend.

I enjoy watching Alien 3, but it's hard to take exception with the film being nullified when its own director (David Fincher) isn't bullish on the project.

https://mossfilm.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/alien-3-fincher-talks/

I'll wait and see. Fact is no matter what the opinion of A3 and AR they exist, they are part of the canon and they have always been seen as part of the Alien Saga. If they can at least loosely work this Aliens Sequel in to being while keeping the links to A3 and AR then yeah Ill give it a chance. If the solution is to just simply ignore A3 and AR not only is that disrespectful to anyone and everyone that had anything to do with those movies it is amazingly lazy and quite arrogant on the part of everyone involved. 'oh we think we can do the sequel to Aliens better than Alien 3 lets just pretend that that movie didn't exist!'

Worse comes to worse and this movie and its story goes the way it's currently looking (i.e just ignore A3 and AR) then THIS movie, no matter what Bloomkamp, Weaver and Fox want, will always be the 'what if' movie while A3 and AR will remain the canon.

thaluikhain:

If the company was involved on a large scale, instead of telling colonists "go look over here for something", they could have sent their own, properly equipped team in, and not caused a disaster.

Now that I think of it, get rid of 3, and it's only the old company 60 years ago that is corrupt. Of course, WY has to be evil, they can't change that, because it'd ruin the movies.

There's no reason to suggest that Burke's message wasn't following standard company procedure since it's almost an exact repeat of the action that lost the Nostromo. Someone in the company would have either known or found out about Ash, Mother's programming and LV426 when they investigated the crazy lady from the ship that's been missing for 70 years (after being secretly programmed to investigate the LV426 signal).

Even if Burke acted alone, a company man instigated hostile contact with an alien species, caused the loss of an entire colony and most of a platoon of Marines. There would be consequences on a financial level at the very least, it's hard to keep a colony disappearing a secret.

Casual Shinji:
I pray to God this "obviously superior to Alien 3 and Alien 4" sequel turns out worse than both of those. Christ, that would be a fucking laugh. And with Neil Blomkamp directing it may even happen. The Aliens will undoubtable be turned into somekind of allegory for minorities or the rift between the rich and poor.

While I'm not praying for the film to be a major failure (I actually really like the concept art, although I also really like alien 3 and 4 so I'm a bit torn), I'm so glad I'm not the only that sees what a potential disaster this could turn into with Blomkamp directing. I already suspect there will too much cg in it and Blomkamp has a habit of humanizing everything. I also really don't like the idea of another "white guilt: the movie," especially if it's done nothing more than put on an alien mask.

That said, I'm still hoping it turns out to be good. I could care less about the canon at this point (that ship sailed with prometheus).

captcha: glazed donut. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm *drools*

Aerith:
So, it's a fanfilm pretending to be Canon, huh? Okelido. I mean, 3 & Resurrection will ALWAYS be the Canon. Just like how Superman Returns suddenly didn't become the new Canon.

My thoughts exactly. That would be like making a Halo game where we just delete Halo 4. It might be awesome because hell yes, but it wouldn't be fair and more importantly, it doesn't erase that story from existing in the first place and being slotted into Canon by the original creators.

As fanwanky as this sounds, I hope he remembers that Alien: Isolation is included in this. Alien, Alien: Isolation, Aliens, whatever the hell is going on after (not sure where Colonial Marines fits).

Dirty Hipsters:

Soviet Heavy:
I still don't know why everyone hates on Alien 3. I thought that film (especially the director's cut) was fantastic and wonderfully bleak. I'd say its definitely the most beautifully designed film in the franchise, even if the Runner Alien puppetry failed at times.

The problem with Alien 3, at least for me, is that outside of Ripley none of the characters are sympathetic. I mean, the movie takes place in a prison for murderers, rapists, and other psychopaths. It actually makes it kind of difficult not to root for the Alien.

Say what you want about the characters in Aliens all being meat-head douchebags, but they're all really entertaining and brimming with personality, and it's a lot of fun watching them slowly crumble as shit starts hitting the fan. Aliens 3 never had that for me.

That is exactly what I liked about it. The monsters aren't the only "monsters". She has to navigate her way between allies and enemies whilst captive, vulnerable, and exposed to the constant threat of injury or death from anyone and everyone. And she has to worry about the aliens on top of it. It's a different dynamic than with the corporation where she had a pretty good idea that they weren't looking out for her well-being, or with the marines where she knew she had allies and back up, or where the audience was anticipating ambiguity/mystery in the motivations of androids.

Of course, not everyone will feel the same way though.

Boris Goodenough:

ForumSafari:

I must be the only person alive that thought Prometheus made complete sense, I honestly didn't see any plot holes at all.

AS for stupidity, to be honest I found the behaviour of their scientists utterly believable.

The biologist wants to pet a hissing unknown alien and the geoligist with his (completed) 3D mapping gets lost...
Not to mention that her air tank got refilled in those few min she ran around inside the spaceship.

Also they cover it far more funny than I ever could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWnTW4rL0U

That was funny - thanks for sharing. ^^ Man that movie was a mess. Of course it's ok for people to like it. But it was definitely a mess. I like this take on it too:

SPOILERS (if that matters to anyone else) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

Alien 3 was good fuck the haters. I certainly like it more than Aliens.

Sigourney Weaver wants to give the Alien franchise a "proper ending."

Heres a tip. You shouldn't have done 3 and 4, then you would have given it a fitting ending. Cashing in one last time is not a fitting ending.... or maybe it is.

Casual Shinji:

Kahani:
snip

Because those movies have been canon for the last 20 or so years now. No matter how much they sucked, they were made and backed as a continuation of the story. For Fox as well as Sigourney Weaver to just ignore them and go 'lalalalala' is damn lazy, as well as disrespectful to the people who put the work in.

It seems silly to say that making those movies non-canon is disrespectful to the people who worked on them when the people who worked on them are constantly trying to get people to forget those movies. David Fincher isn't proud that he worked on Alien 3 and Joss Whedon isn't proud of writing Alien Resurrection. Furthermore, why would you respect work that was done poorly?

thaluikhain:

Heck, wind back to the time of Alien, and even then WY can't have been that corrupt. Otherwise they'd have sent in a team that knew what they were doing.

Dirty Hipsters:

Casual Shinji:

It seems silly to say that making those movies non-canon is disrespectful to the people who worked on them when the people who worked on them are constantly trying to get people to forget those movies. David Fincher isn't proud that he worked on Alien 3 and Joss Whedon isn't proud of writing Alien Resurrection. Furthermore, why would you respect work that was done poorly?

Because more people worked on those movies than just the writers and directors. And there's also just professional courtesy. I mean neither Fox nor Weaver were complaining when those movies were being made and making them money. And now all of a sudden artistic integrity kicks in and they're scoffing at them and pretending it never happened.

piscian:
For anyone not in the know Neils entire career started out with this short film.(god I'm old). Just remember - never be afraid to put your stuff out there even if you feel like its not good enough.

Another fun fact: Remember those awesome Halo 3 promotional films, Landfall? Those were done by Blomkamp as well.

I don't know if this clears the air, but Blomkamp did have this to say as a follow-up to his interview:

Update: "I want to make a film that's connected to Alien and Aliens. That's my goal," Blomkamp says to Allocine, clearing up his comments. "I'm not trying to undo Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection, I just want it to be connected to Alien 1 and 2."

From The Film Stage via Film School Rejects.

Frezzato:
I don't know if this clears the air, but Blomkamp did have this to say as a follow-up to his interview:

Update: "I want to make a film that's connected to Alien and Aliens. That's my goal," Blomkamp says to Allocine, clearing up his comments. "I'm not trying to undo Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection, I just want it to be connected to Alien 1 and 2."

I can't really remember much of Aliens, but aren't the two basically massively different genres and different takes on the presentation of the Xenomorph? Essentially different stories, too. Like, you're either in the spirit of Alien or Aliens, not both.

Evonisia:

Frezzato:

I can't really remember much of Aliens, but aren't the two basically massively different genres and different takes on the presentation of the Xenomorph? Essentially different stories, too. Like, you're either in the spirit of Alien or Aliens, not both.

You're right, I don't think Blomkamp's follow-up was thought out very well. Alien is more horror than anything, and Aliens was definitely more action-related, with some horror throughout. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though, simply because of what Bryan Singer accomplished with the latest X-Men movie, which was pretty good.

I would personally love it if Blomkamp's new Alien movie were pure horror, or mostly horror, just like the first Alien, but considering his track record, that's not going to happen. And I believe 20th Century Fox would never let that happen anyway. At the very least he loves putting robots and guns in his movies, so I think it's safe for me to assume he's going to make a follow-up to Aliens and only Aliens, which isn't too bad considering. Anything that deviates from that would just be icing on the cake.

I don't know why everyone cares about continuity and the like. If you are not a fan of the continuation of a story, maybe one could use their imagination to create a story they like.

I'm all for forgetting everything Aliens related after the second one. Very much so.

Looking forward to this..

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.