He Lived Long and Prospered: Leonard Nimoy Dead at 83

Pages PREV 1 2

Well, SF Debris works pretty fast, making this tribute from scratch. Kind of made me tear up.

I don't put much stock in people, or celebrities, but rather ideas.
However, if I would model a persona on a public figure to any degree, I think Leonard Nimoy a fair candidate.

By that, I mean that I respected Leonard Nimoy greatly, and I respect very few public figures at all.

He demonstrated diplomacy, ingenuity and (often subtle) compassion for what was otherwise the fairly cynical business of genre media.

It's his example that suggested that to me personally, that enjoying genre media like sci-fi is more than just mindless indulgence of "nerdy crap". He showed that making it requires interest and a boldness against reprisal, while making it GOOD requires a greater degree of thought and creativity.

So for that, I will indulge and toast his memory; Live long, and prosper.
Aye, Mr. Spock. I will.

We today lost one of the greatest nerd/scifi icons. but evermore so,We lost a great man,R.I.P.

You lived long and prospered.

I have a mental list of old guys that I'm probably going to see pass in my life time, who I know will impact me. Of them, Nimoy was right at the top.

The cost of a long life is eventually watching all your heroes die.

LLAP

The world is a poorer place that it was 2 days ago. Nimoy was not only an great artist, but an exceptional human being. He will be sorely missed. I was never much into Trek, but this is one passing that hit me hard. Many people will feel as if they've lost someone they knew.

Safe travels beyond the veil, mr. Nimoy, you lived long and prospered and have earned more than a lifetime's worth of respect

When I learned of this news, I went to watch Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. It seemed appropriate.

It brought me some tears to learn that he had passed. Live Long and Prosper.

The thing I respected most about Mr. Nimoy was just how broadly he approached life, how he tried just about anything that struck his fancy. Not only was he an actor, he was also a photographer, a director (one of the films he directed: Three Men and a Baby), a writer, and a musician (perhaps not a great one, but if Bill Shatner could get away with it, why not him?). He was as curious about the world around him as his iconic character, and threw himself into every experience he could.

JohnReaper:
I hate....to do this but....This is happening... http://www.inquisitr.com/1881975/westboro-baptist-church-announces-intent-to-picket-leonard-nimoys-funeral/

I guess they just haven't felt reviled enough lately. This should take care of that.

JohnReaper:
I hate....to do this but....This is happening... http://www.inquisitr.com/1881975/westboro-baptist-church-announces-intent-to-picket-leonard-nimoys-funeral/

This is one of the things I feel unsure how to react to.
On the one hand under these circumstances I could snap and start killing these fuckers.
On the other that would disrespect memory of Nimoy.
Good that I live across the globe and will never meet them.
Problem solved, I guess :/

Well I know what Ill remember him by.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook