Destiny Takes GOTY, Confuses Audience, at This Year's BAFTAs

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Destiny Takes GOTY, Confuses Audience, at This Year's BAFTAs

Destiny Beta Warlock

Destiny beat out favourites Alien: Isolation and Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor at this year's BAFTA awards.

At this year's British Academy of Film and Television Arts awards, Bungie's MMOFPS Destiny took home the coveted "Game of The Year" award... despite not winning any of the other categories it was nominated in. The move shocked and confused the audience, who were expecting favorites such as Alien: Isolation and Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor to take home the grand prize.

"There was an audible ripple of surprise in the press room as Destiny took the best game BAFTA," wrote BBC's Adam Rosser.

Accepting the award, Bungie's president Harold Ryan thanked the game's playerbase for its continued support. "It's always a labor of love that we do because of the passion of the fans," he said. "They really are the ones who drive you to put the energy and time into putting the game together."

The rest of the categories in the awards ceremony and their respective winners are as follows:

• British game - Monument Valley (UsTwo)
  • Debut game - Never Alone (Upper One Games)
  • Story - The Last of Us: Left Behind (Naughty Dog)
  • Performer - Ashley Johnson for The Last of Us: Left Behind
  • Artistic achievement - Lumino City (State of Play)
  • Audio achievement - Alien Isolation (The Creative Assembly)
  • Family game - Minecraft: Console Editions (Mojang/4J Studios)
  • Game design - Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor (Monolith Productions)
  • Game innovation - The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (The Astronauts)
  • Mobile and handheld game - Monument Valley (UsTwo)
  • Multiplayer game - Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Blizzard Entertainment)
  • Music - Far Cry 4 (Cliff Martinez, Tony Gronick and Jerome Angelot)
  • Original property - Valiant Hearts (Ubisoft Studios)
  • Persistent game - League of Legends (Riot Games)
  • Sport game - OlliOlli (Roll7)
  • Ones to watch - Chambara (Overly Kinetic)
  • Bafta fellowship - David Braben (Frontier Developments)

Source: BBC

....god damn you Brits must have some really awesome mind-altering substances.

cpukill:

this, Far Cry 4 was the actual game of the year. Destiny just sounds to me like Borderlands so I've already done it.

Farcry 4 won best music? Seriously? I would've even understood it if Destiny had won that one but seriously Farcry 4? Come on. There were so many better soundtracks last year...like Transistor's...Shadowrun Dragonfall's...gah. I don't usually get that annoyed at these awards shows but this gets to me somehow.

Xan Krieger:

cpukill:

this, Far Cry 4 was the actual game of the year. Destiny just sounds to me like Borderlands so I've already done it.

So... You haven't played it? Are you just parroting what someone once told you about it?

I played Destiny for several months and had a good deal of fun with it. It controls beautifully and if control / "feel" of the game was the only metric by which we judged games, this game deserves the GOTY.

However, there are several other factors that influence the quality of a game like Destiny. This game has some of the worst design decisions / mechanics I've ever seen in a game. The randomness alone (that determines your rewards) is enough to make people hate this game. Add outdated MMO-style design to the game, and it's barely a 3 star title. Having weekly resets and timed events and other garbage like that just got tiring. It doesn't matter how many times I play an event each week, I should be rewarded each time. Having a weekly reset is a blatant attempt at lengthening the game.

It's a shame, really - like I said, the core gameplay feels fantastic. Getting a series of headshots off with a hand cannon / scout rifle is just so satisfying. Now surround that core with horse shit and you get Destiny.

Klagermeister:

Xan Krieger:

cpukill:

So... You haven't played it? Are you just parroting what someone once told you about it?

I've played both borderlands 1 & 2 as well as Destiny and beaten crota on hard mode, so I can say with all honesty that Destiny hsa a loot system similar to borderlands, but worse. It has bosses like borderlands, but they are all boring bullet sponges. Overall Destiny should not have won this GOTY there were far better games out that are so much better designed, and don't milk you for more money after you put down $60 dollars on it ($90 if you bought special edition).

Klagermeister:

Xan Krieger:

cpukill:

I'm talking with Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie? It's like a dream come true. That aside I've watched videos, read the official guide (my way of killing time at Wal-Mart and Best Buy), and yeah it does seem a lot like Borderlands.

Drugs at the BAFTAS! DRUGS AT THE BAFTAS!

That really is a load of monkey trumpets, though. I find myself somewhat peeved that other outstandingly good games were robbed of the chance. HashtagTheBastards.

Wait, Last of Us: Left Behind, as in the DLC, not the rest of the game? How in balls did that win best story on its own? That's an ass pull if I ever saw one. Half the thing was a combat level, and the other half had the "story" part, which heavily relied on the main game for you to actually give a shit and know what the fuck is going on, and was essentially teenage angst + zombies = tragedy. I'd honestly love to hear the reasoning on this one.

Poor Valiant Hearts gets another pity award because it got shafted in the one category it should have won. Shame how quality can only be rewarded in offhand ways.

And oh yeah, Destiny won an award again, despite not doing anything exceptionally save for the music. And they fired the composer who made it.

"British game"? That seems so deafeatist. "We know nothing made in Britain is gonna get on the list, so let's just make sure we get *something*.

So the game that is a paragon of some of the industry's shittiest practices which utilizes a gear treadmill to create the illusion of content is the game that won...

This is one of the many reasons for why I find it hard to take game journalism seriously. Though, in their defense, award shows in general are usually just industry wide circle jerks.

I always told myself I'd never fall for the bandwagon, but I really wonder - I really do wonder - if ActiBlizzion-slash-Bungie paid off a few judges...

It's dismaying. Seriously, horribly dismaying. If all it takes to win a BAFTA, nowadays, is to rinse-and-repeat your way through Halo's feature list with some tacked-on MMO mechanics, then my already frail interest in the biggest AAA releases just got a whole lot flimsier.

I guess most of us live on a different planet than the judges.

Destiny being GOTY? What a fucking joke. There's several games that are easily better than Destiny.

To say Bungie dropped the ball on that game is an understatement.

A DLC got two awards?

Ah fuck it, all these award thingies never make any sense.

The BAFTA's give out video game awards now? Holy shit am I behind the times.

My we live in interesting times...

And me without a paper trail.

The BAFTAs have always been fairly embarrassing when it comes to Games.
Lest we forget, they gave a Lifetime Acheivement award to Peter Fucking Molyneux.

Still more deserved than Dragon Age Inquisition winning the GOTY at the Video Game Awards.

So BAFTA > VGAs

Just proof the BAFTA's are complete bullshit. Another award show down. One day it will turn completely into the VGA's and literally only publishers will give a flying fuck at all about it. Consider respect for them completely gone in my book. It's one thing to like a game that a lot of people didn't and even give it a game of the year, but there were clearly much much better games released, but they didn't pay the judges for a bullshit award.

Xan Krieger:

cpukill:

Wolfenstein was better, just saying if you haven't played it, please do. Speaking of which how did wolfenstein not get the game debut award? It is the first game the studio made and it is far better than never alone.

While destiny is laughable for goty, last of us a 2013 game getting the story award is showing these people are clueless.

Destiny was a lot of things, GOTY is not one of them. It wasn't even a particularly bad game... aside from the loot system, and the leveling system, and the half a game it was... but yeah.

Def25:

Xan Krieger:

cpukill:

Wolfenstein was better, just saying if you haven't played it, please do. Speaking of which how did wolfenstein not get the game debut award? It is the first game the studio made and it is far better than never alone.

While destiny is laughable for goty, last of us a 2013 game getting the story award is showing these people are clueless.

Yeah that's on my "to get" list, along with *looks at Steam* 46 other things. Sadly being unable to work I'm kinda broke.

So the out of nowhere teenage lesbian asspull Left Behind is the best story?

Haha that was a good joke, but seriously what game got GOTY?

Honestly that is a load of shite, even if Destiny wasn't a mess I could name plenty of games more deserving of the award.

ZiggyE:
Still more deserved than Dragon Age Inquisition winning the GOTY at the Video Game Awards.

So BAFTA > VGAs

Not by a long shot IMO. At least Dragon Age is an improvement on Dragon Age 2, which is good enough for a lot of people. Destiny is just plain boring shooting at bullet sponges and exploitative of people's money with the DLC.

Well, it's a video game award show.

What were you expecting? The best games to win?

Xan Krieger:

cpukill:

So, you dismiss Destiny because it's too much like Borderlands, but then praise Far Cry 4, which is basically copy/pasted Far Cry 3? Riiiiiight...

Um...okay? I completely disagree with that, but whatever. I've never gotten bored with a game before, at least not before I beat it once. Angry, frustrated, sad, depressed, ill (thank you, Spec Ops), and happy, yes. But never bored.

Destiny bored me. The game has no soul. It's pretty, and the gameplay is great, but that's it. It's story is so...bare-bones, so uninspired, so phoned in that is just couldn't hold my interest. I got to the point where I could go to Venus and I just haven't cared to continued. That's bad.

Jandau:

Xan Krieger:

cpukill:

So, you dismiss Destiny because it's too much like Borderlands, but then praise Far Cry 4, which is basically copy/pasted Far Cry 3? Riiiiiight...

Hey, at least Far Cry 4 is part of a series, so it's not too unheard of to have the games be similar. And it's not like the gameplay in far cry 3/4 gets repetitive nearly as fast as Destiny.

Destiny on the other hand, it's just a boring, beautiful skybox filled with the same 7 enemies, full of pointless weapon/gear drops, literally no story, and some of the most drab, uninteresting writing I've heard since Ride to Hell.

And the cheque goes to...........

The judges!

Now people know how I felt when Bioshock Infinite won its awards...

That and MW2 I guess.

• Story - The Last of Us: Left Behind (Naughty Dog)
  • NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

The 'shoulda just left it alone' DLC won best story?! And here I was sorta, kinda, maybe thinking about easing up on my extreme dislike for this DLC and give it another shot. Then you had to go and give it a freaking award for being poo.

Poor Wolfenstein: The New Order not getting any love... What the hell is wrong with you, BAFTA?

My guess is that the Americans of yesteryear knew what they were doing when they tossed that tea in the harbor. That shit is dope.

Literally. Because why else would Destiny be GOTY? It's story is bollocks, it's VA is bland and boring, it's gameplay is run of the mill. Wow, what a GOTY!

Oh. So the BAFTAs are completely worthless where games are concerned. Good to know.
    I'll assume that applies to every other medium too.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Register for a free account here