Titan Souls Demo Available For PC, Is The Hardest Demo Ever

Titan Souls Demo Available For PC, Is The Hardest Demo Ever

Price and release date are set in stone, with a Special Edition in tow.

Have you tried Titan Souls yet? We thought it was pretty nifty back at E3, and now the "glutton for punishment," crowd can see what all the hair-pulling fuss is about.

Available now, Acid Nerve and Devolver Digital have posted a free demo build of its 16-bit-ish-looking Titan Souls on the game's Steam page, while pre-orders for the full game can be done via Steam, GOG, and Humble. The demo is a "scene-for-scene remake," of the Ludum Dare 28 game jam prototype made by the Acid Nerve team.

The video up top shows how far Titan Souls has come from its game jam/prototype days, especially since the Titans in the demo are significantly harder to push through than their game jam counterparts. Having played the demo at PAX East, be prepared for some noodle-scratching, some cursing, and a chance of controller assault and battery. It's fun, but it's brutal.

Titan Souls is available for pre-order at $13.49 (ten percent off its normal price), or $14.99 for the Special Edition. The latter includes the full OST, digital art, wallpapers, and a world map to reference in-between fits of rage.

Source: Devolver Digital PR

Frantic and fun with great art and atmosphere.
It doesn't last long at all but it got me interested in the game and it's nice to see demos that aren't paid still going.
For a mix of SotC and Darksouls it gets the important things right it's beautiful and knows how to brutalize.

The only complaints I'd have are the way you have to walk back to the each fight after inevitably losing. The distances are short so it doesn't matter much but it does dull the pacing a little and the while high lethality for both the player and boss keeps things tense two of the three bosses, handy man and eye guy, are mostly a reaction test compared to the third fight which feels much more involved.

3 kills 17 deaths by the way in case this thread turns into a scoreboard.

Seems interesting, but it also seems a little disingenuous to just stick the Souls name on the end just to say "hey! this game is hard!"

Braedan:
Seems interesting, but it also seems a little disingenuous to just stick the Souls name on the end just to say "hey! this game is hard!"

I agree. both "Titan" and "Souls" have been hot topic words lately, I would have preferred if they went with anything else.

I beat the stone hand fella on the fifth try and thought that this can't be too bad, but losing to the other two a cumulative dozen times prompted a quick uninstall. I got other games to get mad at, no need to add another.

The game play and somewhat spartan visuals reminded me of the Nintendo game Crysalis(1990), a personal favorite of mine. I might give it a go!

Doesnt look that good, the visuals are way too basic, even the 2015 version, the 3D effects are rather nice but it all seems too empty, those boss rooms just look like big square empty rooms.

And then there is the name, its like someone making a shooter and calling it Duty Field

Really don't see why so many people are freaking out over the name...

Just beat the demo! Found it pretty satisfying. Almost felt overwhelmed until I realized you only need one good shot per boss. Or at least boss form. In case this information interests anybody, I did it in 21 minutes, averaging 7 deaths per Titan for a total of 21 deaths.

MonkeyPunch:

People eager to hate on something popular will cling to whatever they can. I mean seriously, when I check a thread about a game and the best people can come up with is to bitch about the name, and one guy claiming that the visuals aren't that impressive, you know that people are grasping at straws. The game's gotta be good if that's all they can come up with.

Just beat the demo myself and I have to say that it really isn't as hard as the article is trying to say.

I mean, sure I died like 10 times and the demo took me like 11 minutes to complete, but the bosses were fairly standard and easy as you would expect from the first few bosses of a game.

Fairly interesting game though, the atmosphere was absolutely beautiful and the controls scheme was fine. I hope there are at least over 50 bosses in this, because if it's just going to be like what I fought against in the demo, then it's hardly going to last over two hours.

WhiteTigerShiro:

MonkeyPunch:

People eager to hate on something popular will cling to whatever they can. I mean seriously, when I check a thread about a game and the best people can come up with is to bitch about the name, and one guy claiming that the visuals aren't that impressive, you know that people are grasping at straws. The game's gotta be good if that's all they can come up with.

Freaking out? Hating? Bitching? Awfully strong words to describe some rather tame criticisms. And if we're going to invalidate opinions leveled at popular games, we had might as well give the next Call of Duty the Game of the Year award.

Mahorfeus:

WhiteTigerShiro:

MonkeyPunch:

Freaking out? Hating? Bitching? Awfully strong words to describe some rather tame criticisms. And if we're going to invalidate opinions leveled at popular games, we had might as well give the next Call of Duty the Game of the Year award.

Except that we have better criticisms to levee against CoD than to sit here and harp on it's name. Besides, strictly-speaking, the CoD games generally aren't really that bad (their stories not withstanding), just over-sequelized.

I remember a while ago Extra Credits did an episode on game demos, and why we don't see more of them these days. And basically what their argument boiled down to is that if someone is uncertain about whether or not a game is good and they're about to make a purchasing decision, it's more likely that they'll buy the game on the prospect that it might be good when they haven't played a demo, than it is likely that a free demo will convince them it's worth buying. So, we haven't gotten many demos these days, because they cost time/money to produce, and they sometimes have the unintended effect of turning someone OFF of a super-hyped game.

And that's what the Titan Souls demo was to me. It seems less like it had a competent, well put together design, and more like it took elements from popular games (SotC, Hotline Miami, and Dark Souls) and mish-mashed them together without any idea of why those mechanics WORK in their respective games.

For example, instant deaths work in Hotline Miami because you can respawn instantly and get back into the action in .5 seconds. Here, you have wait through a death/respawn animation, and walk the whole way back to the boss (which can take anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute) because for some reason you respawn at a Dark Souls style bonfire instead of the boss. Some might call that short amount of time trivial, but considering you can die to any of the bosses in 3 seconds, it's unnecessary. The game SHOULD checkpoint you at the boss before you agro it, and give you the option to walk out of the boss room if you get infuriated fighting the same boss over and over again.

In SotC, when you walked to the boss, you constantly had stuff to do. Either holding up your sword to pathfind your way to the boss, or search for / kill lizards to increase your grip gauge. This demo has nothing of the sort. When you walked to the boss, you just walked to the boss, and nothing else.

So yea, it seems like this game is honestly LESS than a sum of its parts. All-in-all, I'm really glad they released the demo, so I can be confident in my decision to never buy it. Which is a shame, because I usually get EVERYTHING Devolver Digital publishes.

WhiteTigerShiro:

MonkeyPunch:

Well the game isn't out yet. People are stating their opinion based on the trailer, so they can't exactly say how the gameplay feels. So yes, people are going to make judgements based on what they see. People can critique CoD because it's actually out in its full form and is therefore a poor comparison(although I know you didn't bring it up).

Also, how is merely stating the visuals are bland indicatitive that the game is good? We're judging the trailer here, and I personally didn't see much groundbreaking or particuarly inticing stuff, so maybe he just didn't have anything else to say about it.

Furthermore, the game is "popular"? Since when? It's not out yet and this is the first I've heard of it, not only that but just because you can't find fault with the trailer, that doesn't mean the games "gotta be good". The entire reason a trailer exists is to make the game look good.

Now, I've nothing against the game, although the trailer didn't excite me, but just trying to get you to see it from the other point of view.

It looks really good but 1 arrow and 1 life point? ahh, i think i'll pass on that level of frustration and just watch a lets play after it comes out :p

I've got too much stress in my life already without paying for more

I think I'm gonna finally buy a indie game at last

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or